THR momof9 whining<

Thanks, I think that little thing will make me feel better. I good scrub down.

I am going to treat myself and give myself a nice facial, lots of flaky skin, stress... pamper myself.

We're working out a better way of having super cold ice packs available more often. Smaller cooler, just big enough for a 2 liter frozen on the bottom, half my ice packs, and a frozen 2 liter on top. It's packed full, so I think it might stay colder. Then switch it out in the evening.
 
A good shower helped me markedly at 8 days out of surgery (today). Moisturizer helps markedly as well. The disinfectants coupled with summer air conditioning dry one out so much! You have a great idea about how to make sure you have a lot of ice. I find it to be one of the best solutions to achy muscles. Ice and rest!
Hang in there! We are all in this together!
 
One last picture after a shower, a number of oozy spots, I know, not a big deal, but upsetting, I tried to warn him how poorly my skin heals, and maybe that wouldn't matter, maybe no one could have done better.

[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<
 
It's healing that's what matters. Some air time and care like you've been doing. It's where the incisions are is what makes it ackward, you put pressure on it when you move. So you get a few spots that ooze. You can cover it if you feel concerned. But you shouldn't be.
 
That wound is perfectly okay. The spots aren't 'oozy', just that the skin edges aren't properly aligned which is simply bad suturing. There are even one or two spots where the skin is actually puckered or pleated and those are where the deeper tissues are exposed.

But the good news is that eventually it will all settled down and even out. I've seen much worse that ended up looking good, so don't worry about it.
 
This is 3 weeks today post op, my first day back in the office. I made counseling calls the last 2 weeks, so I walked 2.5k steps.

Prior to surgery I would be thinking I was going to die, heart give out, short of breath, sweating. I was bone on bone like a lot of you. My left hip I'm going to complain more.

Now my thigh is swollen, especially the trochanter in my quads hurts, that silly psoas, but I have meds and ice and sleep.

Tomorrow is an hour drive to and back, loads of paper work, 5 clients and about another hour of paper work About 8 with everything, 1pm to 9pm. I do better with later hours. Seeing counseling clients face to face is so much better.

I need a cane just for that tiny moment when I bring that operated foot up and move forward and as my heel plants to the ground that tiny instant. I need the cane to bear a little weight
 
Hi there,
I wish you didn't have to be as engaged with work at just 3 weeks post op, but realize it may be unavoidable. It sounds as though you only had one week completely off work. Is that right?

Consider icing at work while you're sitting. You could bring a small cooler with frozen gel packs, or store them in a freezer at work if there's one available. You could also use one while you're on your hour drive to / from work. I'm afraid you'll suffer going back so soon, working such long hours and spending so much time in the car. Is there any way you could do a more phased return?
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/

I wish you well and hope it all works for you without causing setbacks. Stay in touch.
@momof9
 
Last edited:
Yes, only one week off.

You gave me a great idea! My husband could pack that cooler, one for the drive, the one closest to the hard frozen one for drive back and then the little ones.

I didn't want to use work's frig because I'm scared I'll forget them. They are expensive for us. I want and use so many.

I did swell today. Felt like a band around my thigh just under the incision. Felt like an elephant LOL.

I'm almost worried more about the sleep monster hitting me. Without all the pain, I'm making up for two years of no sleep at least. Spinal surgery cleared up tons of nerve pain, then when I'm not on it, I keep passing out asleep, no meds needed.

Thank you for your care and everyone else's.
 
I wonder if there is any possibility you could work a couple days in the office and a couple at home each week. Maybe you could do some of the paperwork at home? It would be worth considering if they are willing to work with you. I just don’t want to see you have any setbacks as this is so very early to go back to work. Another idea is to put a small stool under your desk so you can raise your foot slightly as you sit there. It wouldn’t be as high as they recommend but might be better than nothing. Sending healing thoughts your way!
 
back from the surgeon, my incision may be infected, the one spot, he was able to get more ooze out, took a culture, did blood work, think that it's where the knot was, the material isn't dissolving, especially at the ends where the knots are.

He said I hurt a lot more than expected, the psoas and quad / trochantar because, and this is where I'm hoping maybe @Josephine can explain, he said my pelvic angle was abnormal, not 115 but more like 145 (can't remember the numbers exactly), so the prosthetic hip isn't designed for that angle. So it will take a while for my body to get used to it.

He recommended stopping PT because it's just aggravating muscles that were already stretched more than normal.

I didn't get a picture of my hip.
 
the material isn't dissolving, especially at the ends where the knots are.
They often don't. I remember when that synthetic suture material first came out. We were accustomed to using the old fashioned cat gut (not literally from cats!) which did dissolve in a reasonable time but this stuff doesn't and it makes problems because it causes a reaction just like yours! My body rejects this stuff very readily meaning my stitches often just come out on their own!
So it will take a while for my body to get used to it.
That's right - do read this Leg length differential - LLD
He recommended stopping PT because it's just aggravating muscles that were already stretched more than normal.
hmmm .... now I wonder where I've heard that before! :what: :scratch:
 
Thanks @Josephine I am a little worried, I hurt more than I did a week after surgery. I'm not really doing more because the psoas is flaring up when I walk. He said that muscle in an anterior approach is retracted too so it commonly hurts.

But I hurt, even sitting. I'll be 4 weeks in Monday. I'm imagining nothing but I wasn't expecting this much pain and for it to hurt more.

I asked for Tylenol with codeine hoping it will be enough after oxycodone. Oh but wait, I was using pain meds every 4 hours, so maybe the pain isn't worse.

I see him next week. I don't understand the angle issue. He did say before surgery I have hip dysplasia, was I diagnosed as a child. I don't know if that makes any sense, Josephine. About how the angle could cause pain.

He basically said, I think, the implant, really none are the best design for the angle, so my muscles would have to adapt.

And, yes, I feel happy to have another reason to dump PT. I wish she would have focused just on dealing with pain.
 
the psoas is flaring up when I walk. He said that muscle in an anterior approach is retracted too so it commonly hurts.
This is true, actually
I asked for Tylenol with codeine hoping it will be enough after oxycodone. Oh but wait, I was using pain meds every 4 hours, so maybe the pain isn't worse.
Tylenol with codeine is not a good pain med for you right now. You'd be much better off - as I think I said before - having Tramadol which you can also take with Tylenol. Do you remember me saying that?
I don't know if that makes any sense, Josephine. About how the angle could cause pain.
I'm afraid it doesn't. Nothing of what your surgeon has said about this thus far makes any sense to me!
I wish she would have focused just on dealing with pain.
Honey, be assured that PTs don't deal with pain issues. Their only objective is to deal with ROM and strength. But as I've said numerous times before - HIPS DON'T NEED ANY EXERCISE !!
 
Ok, I'm up late and hurting. The Tylenol with codeine isn't helping. Well, maybe I can take 3, but that puts me at 900 for Tylenol at once.

I take trazadone so there is a warning with Tramadol, a serotonin issue. But I don't know if that is a better choice.

I feel abnormal for thinking I need pain meds at nearly 4 weeks, the Tylenol with codeine messed up my Tylenol schedule. I just don't know what else to ask for. Oxycodone helped more, when I was home abs took it regularly, I rested better and did more. So what to step down to.

Oh wait, I remember @Josephine you said you took pain meds for 4 weeks, so I'm not an outlier? And @dogchick said something the same too

I wish there was a way to deal with the opioid crisis (I'm faced with it with population I work with) but be able to ask for pain meds and not feel stressed and defensive that they'll think I'm drug seeking.

I see the OS on Thursday again to check the infection.

The pain is disheartening. The first two weeks I was well medicated. Most issues seem caused by PT, that I'm done with.

Now it's sharp at W RF1 across RF2, worst than last week (greater trochanter) walking is really painful across that area, and I'm doing even less.

But there's also a new sharp pain even when sitting there, primarily W RF2, and while walking or sitting I hurt from RF1 W-Z, and RF1 A-C.

When I walk the psoas is burning, sharp, deep, up into my groin crease, but the hot spot is a little lower, like 3 fingers down. So from RF3 W-Z, RF2 A-C. It ACHES when I sit.

I ice a lot. Rubbing alcohol mixed ones stay the coldest the longest, but the bags keep leaking. The gel bags last about 15 minutes. Maybe I need to buy really good zipper bags, and i need them smaller than the recipe here. I want quart size so I can more easily drape them in two adjacent spots.

I have frequent knife like pain just straight down from the incision, I keep thinking it is the incision, like I've stretched it too far, pulling on the stitches, but the incision doesn't go that far.

I started on Keflex, 4 x a day. The incision is just wet all the time. I'm battling skin yeast issues, GA humidity and heat. The skin on skin.

And I have a bladder infection, the Keflex should help that too.

On top of it, I talked to my licensure supervisor about my lack of pay, she talked to the director, there are only 4 of us. And she wanted to meet with me and again it's all my fault, my spreed sheets have errors, but they don't tell me that month so I can correct them, I was told not to bother the director's daughter who receives the info and knows the errors. And I am avoidance of conflict. They don't get or appreciate I took care of clients a week after surgery. There's no one else to pick up my case load.

And now I'm really whining, I'm sorry. I'm going to quit, well the job.

And I'm so upset with the anesthesiologist. I was so clear on what I wanted, to see the OR, to see all the people in the room, to know I was having a spinal, to see the space suit garb, to be minimally under with the spinal. He said ok to all that, but he put me under too deep. I've had nightmares every night.

I need to get his name and the meds he used. I clearly said no Versed, but that's what this feels like. I get that most people are great with going to sleep and waking up with it done. I don't like that we don't get to hire an anesthesiologist or even meet them until we're in gowns with IVs, even though they get paid with my money, and they do a very important job.

I'm really upset again.
 
Last edited:
Sorry for your pain and struggles. I see you tagged, Josephine, for advice.
Check back periodically, she's in the UK, so there's a time difference as I'm sure you're aware.
Hope things begin to level out for you.
Wishing you some comfort and peace.
@momof9
 
Wow @momof9 sounds like you have so much going on and I'm sorry to hear about all the pain. I know you said there are contradictions with your trazadone and tramadol. Maybe there is something similar to tramadol you can take.

I also have read that many of us hippies hit a depression and energy drain at 4 weeks, so maybe tons of rest is the best for you. It will take time to heal any damage PT may have caused.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It will get better!
 
I agree with @Bchbum4evr that it will take time for the pain from PT to go away. You really pushed your body early on and haven’t given it a good chance to heal so now that you are done with PT, the process can begin. I think with some extra rest and relaxation you will feel so much better. As far as work, you’ve been doing your best. It’s pretty hard to think as clearly when we are on those pain meds even though it doesn’t always feel like it at the time. I couldn’t even concentrate on reading a book for nearly two weeks after surgery. I’m not sure if it was the anesthesia wearing off or the pain meds but concentration wasn’t that great.

You will make it ok. Recovery takes lots and lots of patience, most likely more than most of us normally have but it does come and our bodies do heal but mix in some rest, ice, more icing, elevating and add a bit more patience! You’ll make it! :yes!::flwrysmile::yes!:
 
The Tylenol with codeine isn't helping.
What does are you taking and on what schedule?
I feel abnormal for thinking I need pain meds at nearly 4 weeks. Oh wait, I remember @Josephine you said you took pain meds for 4 weeks
I said 4 MONTHS!
but he put me under too deep
I doubt it. Anaesthetists have fixed doses of any drugs they use and at what time they use them and rarely stray from that protocol. But it's actually not uncommon for people to have nightmares after a procedure they were really scared about. Read this Michael Douglas' TKR
 
4 months, thank you. I knew when I wrote it it seemed unmemorable, 4 weeks.

I'm taking 1 or 2 Tylenol with codiene 300/30. So 2 puts me at 600 Tylenol for one doze.

Regarding anesthesia, we had agreed that I'd be awake and aware of the spinal, all the people in the room, the table, that I'd see my OS in his astronaut garb. That it was less traumatic than having things done to me unconsciously. I told my OS I'd leave if the anesthesiologist wouldn't agree, I had worked that out with my OS.

The OS apologized after, he was fine with me being as awake as I wanted. He agreed that none of what I asked for was done.

The anesthesiologist agreed to each piece I asked, so I trusted him or I would have left, but what I ended up with was nothing like we talked about.

And of course there is no follow up with him.

Thank you for the link. I work as a counselor, trained to deal with severe, complex PTSD, and I have it, so my nightmares are of childhood abuse, real stuff brought back. Loss of control, being drugged and used was a real thing for me.
 
My goodness. Reading all this puts my current issues into perspective! You have been so unlucky. I have had major issues with diff pain management but the spinal went really well. I didn’t want to hear anything and I think they got it just right. You are so brave to go back to work so early because of your dedication to your clients and I wish good karma for you and utter hell for your bosses. How can they treat people this way? My op was last Thursday so a month begins yours. Still all very new and scary but I thank god I found this forum. I wish you all the best and will try to follow you. Practising with crutches today and trying to open Bowel’s. Deep joy!
 
Back
Top Bottom