THR momof9 whining<

I just wonder if I should waterproof cover it
You're almost 2 weeks out so I don't think there's any need to worry about a waterproof cover. The skin is usually well healed within that period of time.

But looking at your list of meds, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
That would be great @Josephine - I do have it covered in gauze w/ a little tape, but when I removed the waterproof at 1 week out, I could see gaps where the skin didn't close - as I said, my incisions don't typically heal well. So, I'm using the gauze to keep it clean, and then I use a clean microfiber towel to keep the overhang off the incision so it can receive air. I was going to change it tonight as it is kind of weeping.
 
I could see gaps where the skin didn't close
But it will only be superficial, I promise you.

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
thank you @Josephine - sorry I get nervous about the wound from my last and only c-section - it opened up and needed wound care for 4 months.

1. approach Anterior

2. pain - 3 sitting, adductor pain is better, but outside hip muscle pain has taken over almost like thronchar bursa sack pain, and back of calf to foot feels burning, 7 walking

3. medications - oxycodone up to 15mg every 4 hours, but I only take 1 pill if at all during day, then 3 at night so I can sleep
gabapentin 300mg every 8 hours
Tylenol 700mg every 4 hours

4. icing - 6 to 7 times / day at least 20 minutes - homemade alcohol ice packs are best, have an aircast too

5. elevating - I'm mostly sitting in a recliner with the foot raise up so swelling has gone down a lot

6. activity - very little. Appts and bathroom and pacing room. I have stairs up to my room

7. exercises at home
heel slides
ankle pumps
knee contractions (hamstrings)
glute contractions
sitting leg raises

at PT
2 times a week PT same exercises as above
added stationary bike 5 minutes, no speed requirement
since I injured the adductor muscle, it's only tens unit plus ice, rolled out,
hip moved through it's range of motion (feels good, no muscle pulls or pain)
 
Last edited:
@momof9 sorry you are dealing with so much pain. I had my TLH done 6/11/18 I had rough time until last week with groin pain. Now I feel prety good. Only need cane for stability. I just wish I had more endurance. I like you have PTSD and the first 2 -3 weeks post op had bad flare up with terible dreams and numerous meltdowns. This group has helped me through so much. I am thankful to have found them. Hope you get a god nights sleep:sleep:
 
thank you @Yokesgirl - yes, the PTSD has made it more difficult. I keep getting periods of anxiety and then can't sleep, and then have microsleep spells filled w/ nightmares. Today has been better. Hopefully, I'll sleep tonight. I know my endurance will be about zero since it's been two years of very little walking. But, I'm glad I waited to get the spinal issues fixed. At least I don't have nerve pain on top of all this.

It's good to hear that maybe you've turned the corner.
 
I'm so sorry that your PTSD is having a field day with anxiety and inability to sleep. When I posted that long-winded comment, I'd forgotten that you also have PTSD, that is a whole different level of mental anguish that although I can empathize with, I have no experience with.

I still think what I said is true, but PTSD is a whole 'nother beast. Stuff that you can't really control. I'm sorry if my other post sounded preachy, that wasn't my intent.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and do my best to be supportive. Looks like you have at least one other person, Yokesgirl, who can totally understand what you are dealing with. I'm sure there are others. Keep on plugging away, as Yokesgirl said, it gets better. ((((Hugs))))
 
Hope today is a better day.
Seems like forever sometimes, but your body was under "assault" less than 2 weeks ago.
Try not to worry and DO NOT compare recovery stories.
Our bodies have their own timelines...
Healing hugs, SuperMom!
 
Thanks to all again - my arctic cryo cuff won't work - the cuff won't drain when plugged into the tube - but if I poke something into the cuff, it drains great - so, I have no ice. And, my husband is tired. He's ran up and down the stairs but we can't keep anything cold enough in the cooler.

I have pain at the top of my leg across my thigh from mid leg to outside on front. My knee hurts, and burning nerve pain again to the bottom of my foot but back again on the top of my shin, but maybe my back that was decompressed isn't happy w/ all this, maybe piriformis. I know my IT bands are tight, so maybe some more GTB - I had an injection 8 weeks ago.

I have to do work calls again this week - counseling w/ court mandated youth. I'm so tired and just want to sleep.

And, yes, I have complex PTSD on top of this. And, my counselors both happened to be out of town after the surgery. So, I'm gutting out some awful nightmares. An the anesthesiologist didn't do what I asked and what the surgeon was happy to have w/ me - so he scrambled my brains up a bit worse. Of course, I'll never meet him again, except for his billing company.

I see the surgeon this week, and my primary counselor will be back on a regular schedule, so hoping for some help.

@dogchick - no problems - I appreciated the contact :)
 
Thanks to all again - my arctic cryo cuff won't work - the cuff won't drain when plugged into the tube - but if I poke something into the cuff, it drains great - so, I have no ice. And, my husband is tired. He's ran up and down the stairs but we can't keep anything cold enough in the cooler.
Do you have any ice packs at all that you can use? If you can't buy any, there are instructions on this link if you scroll through on how to make your own with just water and rubbing alcohol. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/ Amazon also have some nice large gel packs. I believe I posted the ones I bought on my Pre-Op thread if you want to check it out...link is in my signature.

I'm sure lack of sleep and stress have been a factor in your pain as well. I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with all of this without your professional help that you usually have. ((((hugs)))) I give you so much credit. You are a strong woman and I admire you for your strength and endurance. :console2:

I see the surgeon this week
That's good, hopefully you can get everything straightened out and feel a little better and more able and ready to take on the task of healing. :fingersx::flwrysmile:
 
I have to do work calls again this week
What? But you're barely 2 weeks out! You can't possibly work this early.
7. exercises at home
heel slides
ankle pumps
knee contractions (hamstrings)
glute contractions
sitting leg raises
Before I can answer your questions, regarding these responses, I did ask you
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
I have pain at the top of my leg across my thigh from mid leg to outside on front.
My knee hurts, and burning nerve pain again to the bottom of my foot but back again on the top of my shin
Can you show me where these pains are using these charts?

[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<
[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<
 
I do 2 sets of 10, 3 X day

pain is at RF2 fading to RF3 at W and then a hot spot at RF1 at W. It's a dull pain, sharp if I poke at the outside of my hip, or roll over it with a roller.

I am walking better with a cane. The adductor pain did finally stop. That was at RF3 V and W. It was a sharp, knife like pain and hurt even with the cane.

And, yes, I just finished working at home again - I am a counselor with court mandated youth - it's a tiny organization and no one can take over my clients, so I made calls the week after surgery. I am supposed to go back into the office next week, 2 days a week. Tuesday's are the most difficult - 2 hours of driving, and then 5 clients.

Curious, these are surgical notes about the x-ray - it said my left hip has moderate degenerative wear - I'm worried about when to make a decision to fix that. I don't want to wait - he said the right hip joint was severely damaged from wear.

But, the patient status post total right hip replacement. On the initial AP spot image, the femoral component is laterally displaced to the acetabular component. Subsequent images show the femoral head component projecting over the acetabular component.

I assume this is all right then? I think he said it went well. I have my post op - I do have a kind of wet spot in the incision where my stomach overhangs at the very edge, it's hard to keep some air going through because it's at the top of the incision, right where my stomach starts to overhang it.
 
yes, I just finished working at home again
Okay
I am supposed to go back into the office next week, 2 days a week
But not this! There are times when your health really does have to supersede work. You'll not be doing yourself any favours by doing this.
I assume this is all right then?
It looks just fine
I do have a kind of wet spot in the incision where my stomach overhangs at the very edge
Keep it covered with a small Bandaid until it dries.
 
[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<


The red spot is definitely Trochanteric bursitis
The blue definitely Psoas pain
2. pain - 3 sitting, adductor pain is better, but outside hip muscle pain has taken over almost like trochanteric bursa pain, and back of calf to foot feels burning, 7 when walking
At less than two weeks out, you should be walking less. It will irritate your Trochanteric bursitis.
3. medications - oxycodone up to 15mg every 4 hours, but I only take 1 pill if at all during day, then 3 at night so I can sleep
gabapentin 300mg every 8 hours
Tylenol 700mg every 4 hours
Tylenol every 4 hours? Round the clock? I make that in excess of 4,000mg per 24hrs. Reduce it.
I also suggest you need to be taking the oxycodone more often. Preferably as per prescription.
4. icing - 6 to 7 times / day at least 20 minutes - homemade alcohol ice packs are best, have an aircast too
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5. elevating - I'm mostly sitting in a recliner with the foot raise up so swelling has gone down a lot
Elevate when you are icing.
6. activity - very little. Appts and bathroom and pacing room. I have stairs up to my room
Good!
exercises at home
2 sets of 10, 3 X day
heel slides
ankle pumps
knee contractions (hamstrings)
glute contractions
sitting leg raises

at PT
2 times a week PT same exercises as above
added stationary bike 5 minutes, no speed requirement
since I injured the adductor muscle, it's only tens unit plus ice, rolled out,
hip moved through it's range of motion (feels good, no muscle pulls or pain)
One golden rule for hips, they don't actually need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So if you want to manage your pain better, then quit the exercising - completely! If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Thank you for the feedback @Josephine

I don't take all 6 doses of Tylenol, generally I miss one or two.

I try to keep everything on the 8, 12, 4, 8, 12 schedule so it's easier to remember. I was emailing myself each time I took meds.

I will cancel PT. I've read a lot about that here. And even though it's close, it's an energy drain.

I feel bad taking pain meds at this point, so many people don't need it, but my muscles hurt even though I don't walk much. I do know walking irritates that thronchar place. I didn't know about the psoas, but thst makes sense when i read the page. I barely need the cane again.

I have a spot that I believe is the top of the IT band, and it's always been tight, I wonder if that contributes to my knee pain.

I am including a photo of one of the wet spots. There's one on each end of the incision, like a pinched up bunch of skin with a white mucousy gap and a black spot in it. Like it looks like someone needs to clip a skin tag, I'm sure it's how my body weight sagged on the incision.

This is the entire incision

[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<


To the right is the upper part and then the left is the other skin tag kind if thing

[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<
 
I feel bad taking pain meds at this point, so many people don't need it, but my muscles hurt even though I don't walk much. I do know walking irritates that thronchar place. I didn't know about the psoas, but thst makes sense when i read the page. I barely need the cane again.

Hey Hon, I had my surgery a day after yours, and I still have to take pain meds. I am taking Tylenol and Percocet, since my Morphine ran out. My muscles are still quite sore, and I still can't put my full weight on my Op leg. Don't feel bad about needing to take it, everyone heals differently, some are ready to jump and take off right away, and others take it slow and easy. This is YOUR journey, and you do what you need to do to allow your body to heal in it's own time and in it's own way. :console2:
 
Overreacting, but it's a PTSD thing, PT hurt, probably the psoas - inner groin, thank you @Josephine for providing that link, so I'm cancelling all the rest of my appts. It's such a sharp pain. The tronchar is more dull and easier to live with.

But the overreacting, I was supposed to see my surgeon - I should have seen him last week, 10 - 14 days out from surgery, but at the time, I didn't want to be a pain and let them put me off to 17 days, not a big deal, except I'm I got a little worried about the incision last week, I just had some bad recoveries from incisions, infections and wound care, my skin heals slowly and doesn't like stitches, so I "spit" stitches too - I know it's not a big deal, but it's bleg.

I get there at my surgeon's office, hurting after PT, no pain meds this AM because of the appts and driving, and he's in another city about an hour south of me, I see they called last week on my phone, but, I didn't get a notice of the message they said they left. And, they didn't update the patient portal that automatically emails me, when I checked last, showed it was in my regular office.

I have to wait to next Thursday. I have an hour drive appt tomorrow, so 2 hours in the car, and I can't do another 90 minutes to see him later in a different city south of me, but not as far as the one today.

I just had myself geared up for that lost of privacy, it isn't a big deal for most people, not that they like it, but they cope, for me, it's a PTSD trigger. I did all this work to be ready, and now, I have another week.

Sorry for complaining - I hurt, and I'm stressed - I need to take a nap. I took some pain meds since I don't have to drive. I need my husband to bring up ice - the alcohol ice packs work, but they just didn't stay sealed, so I ended up being covered in wet alcohol.

Ok, so I'm going to treat myself and buy the ice packs I want, enough so I can have them for the 40 minutes or so that was recommended here.

I know, there's lots of stuff good that I can do a little more than 2 weeks out of surgery - I'm happy about all those things - I walk w/ a cane but barely need it, I pulled some weeds in my little herb garden, just bending over, not kneeling (my squat muscles wouldn't be able to get me back up LOL), I can drive - better than when I was in loads of pain - I don't take pain meds or muscle relaxers if I know I'm going to drive, so I'm safe. I am doing little projects to clean the kitchen back to my standards. So, I am aware of what's good.

It's just that the hard pieces, are hard for me. I feel really tired. I'm kind of overwhelmed - I think my office would let me work from home again, but honestly doing calls to clients is more work than seeing them in person. I just am like that - the brain science shows that face to face activates important parts of our brain, we're wired for relationships, and I'm a much better counselor when I'm w/ someone (skype or facetime isn't the same as IRL)
 
I feel bad taking pain meds at this point, so many people don't need it
Never mind other people! Just focus on YOU! For my first TKR, I took pain meds for 4 months!
thronchar place
Did you mean trochanter here?

Your wound has not been closed up very neatly. Definitely a B- to the surgeon who did that!

And this image is simply a stitch abscess with a suture emerging out of it. But don't let it worry you. It will neither get infected not will it create an infection any deeper than that. It just happens from time to time. Eventually the stitch might emerge to the point where it can actually be pulled out but I'd advise you to leave it alone until then. Mostly because I can see that the stitch is still tied in a loop and will resist being pulled out. I had one very similar earlier this year and it took about 2 months to get rid of it!

Oh yes, and the yellow stuff is neither pus nor infection. It's just slow healing around the stitch.
Just keep it covered with an ordinary Baandaid (because Bandaids are sterile!)

[Bonesmart.org] momof9 whining<
 
Oh, yes, trochanter! I have had issues on both hips for 20 years on and off, each has had multiple injections for the bursa.

thanks @Josephine !

The only thing in his defense is every surgery I've ever had, I had ugly scars after - I think my skin doesn't heal well - and in this area, I had a lot of weight pulling on it. My c-section, the incision tore at both ends.

So, I don't know if he could have done it better but I warned him though, again and again - I hoped he'd work harder since he knew that area in particular would have problems.

My feet scars are ugly after lapidus surgeries, carpal tunnel release, even the little "less than one inch incision" on my back opened in the middle and is crooked little one inch scar LOL.

Ok, I feel more settled. I'll get some bandaids for it - the only thing I'm waiting to find out, is can I take a regular shower, not direct the water on the incision, but it get wet, dry it w/ a clean towel and then cover it over again w/ a bandaid. The other end of the incision has the same kind of pucker, like skin pinched but it's not as big. It bleeds and oozes a little too, but not nearly as noticeable as this.

Sorry you had to deal w/ it Josephine! I "spit" stitches (that's what they called it), after the first time that happened, I didn't flip when I saw them again, precise tiny black holes open up. I never pulled material out. But, it's nice to have it validated that it's probably what's happening w/ that little black spot.
 
Back
Top Bottom