TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

Quick update on the acupuncture.... actually reached my case nurse in person! She said it’s ok as long as it’s not in the area of the incision or knee. So I can do shin, calf , ankle, thigh, etc. I told her I was wanting to do it primarily in hopes of relieving some pain and swelling, and she was ok with that. Thanks @Larryhg3 , I hadn’t given it a thought although I know I wouldn’t want her close to the knee anyway.
Once again we see different protocols from different offices.
 
Tonight I had the acupuncture treatment, wow felt so good. And my knee had such good bend afterwards! Mind you , getting in and out of the car caused it to stiffen up again, but for a few minutes, it was the best bend I’ve had since the day after surgery:wow:
 
@Mom2Lucy hope you doing better. I also found that icing behind the knee makes me feel better. It was mentioned previously and does work.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad acupuncture helped. I'm thinking of trying it in a few weeks. I've had several pre op treatments and it always helped.
 
Mum, your knee twin, still has a hugely swollen leg and that is stopping any bending. She too said she is having real feeling flat moments, especially at night. I think it's a mixture of tiredness, discomfort, boredom and frustration.
 
@KneeCarer , glad to hear from you and your mum. I too am still wishing for a better bend, and less swelling.
And those flat moments are a daily part of my life too. There’s no end of frustration, boredom and concern for when this healing will really feel like it’s well in progress. :shrug::what:
Nights definitely are the worst.
But the people on this forum are the best, and I’m am so glad to come here everyday. I get more insight and understanding here than anywhere else. :)
 
Hi everyone, I can’t sleep tonight, nothing unusual in that... but with a change in the weather today to snow, I am finding my legs so stiff. Pre surgery I would sometimes take an non-Rx muscle relaxant such as Robaxacet. Have not tried that since the tkr, but I’m wondering if it would bring some relief. Has anyone tried , and did it help?
 
@beachy , I think the change in the weather is largely the culprit in my increased stiffness and discomfort. I ended up having to take a tramadol around midnight to settle the pain better. I have been doing quite well using Tylenol 3, but the pain ramped up yesterday evening, and the Tylenol 3 wasn’t enough.
❄️☃️
 
Can you get another appt with your acupuncturist before he/she moves? I don't think we have Tylenol 3 in the U.S. Maybe that's like our arthritis strength Tylenol. 650mg per tablet?
 
@beachy, Tylenol 3 is by prescription only, and has codeine in it. I wish I could see my acupuncturist again, but it’s not possible.
Tomorrow is my first physio, which I’m dreading . Our health system here provides seven “covered” physio visits. This clinic does do alternative therapies as well as “regular “ physio, so I am willing to give it a try, albeit with dread. If the PT doesn’t respect me and my bonesmart approach, I’ll be out of there quickly. :kickedout:
 
Last edited:
@Mom2Lucy yesterday was the beginning of week 8 for me. I’m still icing as needed and it does make my knee fell better.

My knee is still not perfect, but the pain has decreased drastically. The stiff band in the middle comes and goes though. My sleep returned to me during my 6th week. It was just awful. I couldn’t focus on anything and was getting quite depressed. I couldn’t even catch a nap! That was the worst part of the recovery. Insomnia was literally draining every aspect of my life. I’m sleeping now but wake up occasionally, then I fall back asleep.

I hope you feel better Soon! :catbutterfly:
 
@flsungirl , thanks. It has been just over a month for me, and I keep having to tell myself that. I also understand the insomnia fatigue, as I feel blessed if I get four consecutive hours of sleep. I see your surgery was about three weeks before mine, so I hope the sleep deprivation and pain will decrease in these next few weeks for me, as it has for you. Glad to see you’re progressing well, I saw you’d lost 25 pounds, I am so jealous!
Thanks for lending an ear:thankyou:
 
It is so nice to connect with fellow post ops. I found Bonesmart a little late but really glad I did! That first good nights sleep is golden. I believe that was my turnaround point, which I thought I’d never see. Each day does start to get better, even little things boost you up.

I know I have to pay attention to keeping that weight off. It creeps back quickly. I don’t think my appetite has returned fully yet. I’m eating more than I did but still not hungry very often.

I’m looking forward to the day this whole process is a blur. These 2 months flew by. Actually the older I get the faster every day goes.

You’ll be through the hard part before you know it. It wasn’t too long ago we were newbies on the site and there’s so many more after us. It’s amazing to have the support from people who have went through what we have and know there’s a light somewhere ahead. Woooo hoooo
 
Nights are the pits for me too. It got so bad that I started leaving the light on when I went to bed. Something about the dark was disturbing. Every morning when I'm finally awake and up and my husband is wheeling me into the kitchen, I have had a strange sense of relief, like, "I survived the night!"
 
I think I understand @Motherbone . There’s something about the darkness that just makes a person feel more vulnerable somehow. It never bothered me til after the surgery, but now I feel relieved when it’s morning.:sigh:
 
I think most of us have fears, some reasonable, some irrational, due to this type of traumatic surgery, I did! (The irrational ones!) They’ve eased up as time has gone by.
 
Hi all, happy to say I made it through my first physio relatively unscathed. I did discuss with the PT that I would not accept any manual touch without first discussing, and I absolutely would not tolerate any physical force, such as bending, twisting , torquing on my knee, etc. He barely touched me after my lecture, lol. My knee was heated with a heating pad for ten mins, then he showed me three different exercises, which I did there. He observed, but did not touch, smart man:heehee:
My next appointment is Monday, so I’ve decided I will go as long as he uses this gentle and respectful approach. Each appointment will be a test for him more than me, I think, lol.and I think he knows that too:rotfl:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom