THR Molly's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good day yesterday as the weather was wonderful outside and I visited the neighborhood pool for an hour. Great to be back amongst the living and not focus on my hip. Still very reliant on my walker which feels like an anchor dragging me down. I woke up this morning and forget for a moment that I had hip surgery until I glanced over and saw my walker waiting for me. Was not a happy feeling as I think of another long day of struggling to do all the basic things.

I am not an easy patient. Before this operation I have been blessed with great health and never had any surgeries or serious illnesses. Still dealing with the "why me" blues! As I read over others recovery threads I am enjoying what seems to be a relative easy recovery so far. So why am I still so angry about needing this operation. One of life's lessons...it is not always fair what life hands us. It will be interesting to read this account of my recovery months from now to see if I say I am happy I had this operation. Not there yet!!!!!!
 
So why am I still so angry about needing this operation.
Because at best is a darned inconvenience! :heehee: I went the the "why me" scenario big time before my second THR.

I'll bet by this time next month you have ditched that walker and have started to see the benefits of this amazing surgery. Hang in there - the forgotten hip in on the horizon.
 
The "why me" syndrome! Been there done that. The worst time of my life was visiting the OS and him telling me that until I had my heart catheriation and ablation he would not touch me. Right choice on his part but still it was a delay. In the mean time my hubby had to start chemo so that delayed me for 6 months. I fell into a deep "why me" state. With you getting out and socializing the "why me " state of mind will disappear! Keep getting out no matter what a pain in the butt that walker is! Before you know it you will be back to your old self and with a new frame of mind.
 
@Jaycey I am so confused about pain medication. I know the moderators on here do believe it is way too soon for me to be weaning off the opioids but on the other hand my surgeons office encourages me to listen to my body. Presently I am not suffering pain from my hip just twinges when I walk with the walker or rolling over in bed. I just went for a short walk and was able to walk farther today with no pain and using the walker only as an aid. I had full weight on my hip. My main issue is nausea and and I don't believe norco can help that. My mental state on norco/tramadol is poor. My last Norco was a half dose yesterday afternoon.

If the purpose of the pain meds is to encourage mobility, then Tylenol takes care of that. AM I missing some other reasons pain meds are needed right now??? If I start experiencing pain can I not just take a norco?
 
If the purpose of the pain meds is to encourage mobility, then Tylenol takes care of that.
If Tylenol keeps your pain managed that's great. Unfortunately it doesn't work for most people at this stage. You are very lucky!
If I start experiencing pain can I not just take a norco?
If you were prescribed norco then yes. The thing is if you wait to take pain medication until you are in pain it's too late. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain so that you can continue to increase your mobility. Here's a thread about it Pain management and the pain chart
 
Had 6 hours uninterrupted sleep last night. Felt so good. However rolling over in bed aggravated my groin muscle!!! Grrrrr...... Walking around today with no weight on the walker!! Another first. My mood and energy are good and the nausea from the past few days is gone also. I took half a norco last night and half this morning and that feels about right for me. The pain meds have been the worst part of this whole journey for me. I do have some aching in my shin and ankle that was there before surgery. I hope this also goes away with time.

Going for a walk today in the mall. Feels good to start joining the world again.
 
@Molly12
It's so encouraging to read about your progress (other than the nausea, which m prone too as well)! I'm sorry if I missed it in your thread, but we're you physically fit prior to surgery (activity level etc.)?
 
@Cynthia777 I was very active right up until day of surgery. I am an avid power walker, hiker, and biker have for years soldiered through what I mistakenly thought was groin strain and hip flexor strain. I was shocked to finally hear I needed hip surgery. I think one of the hardest things for me right now is that I truly feel much worse after the surgery due to the nature of hip replacement. I did not wait until I had a limp or bone on bone pain. I wanted to be proactive and get it done before my hip deteriorated further. I am however looking forward to enjoying all my activities again without pain. Then I know I will be happy I had it done. Just not there yet....
 
@Molly12, my husband tries very hard to be helpful but we both decided he is not a very good caregiver. I am glad I went to a rehab center for a week post surgery. It would have been very hard being home with my loving but no care giver husband.
 
@Molly12
I guess that's probably why you're having a fairly swift recovery. I would imagine having this surgery would be much more difficult emotionally for someone that was as active as yourself. I'm praying you will recover to your pre-surgery activity level very quickly.
 
  1. @Molly12 I'm with you. Everyone said I'd be so happy I did this...but not yet by a long shot. I had no limp but had some groin pain and butt cheek pain. I still have butt pain which is making me sad. Have also struggled with meds and depression and nausea. Was only doing Tylenol for 4-5 days due to nausea but was in a bad place pain wise. Home nurse encouraged me to back to tramadol which I did cut in half to start. The oxy type meds I just can't do even with zofran. Today is my day 11. Struggle is a good word. I'm icing and elevating as my shin is turning blue today......I hear you. :sorry:
Chris
 
I agree with you about the pain meds.. @Molly12 . They made me feel terrible. Nauseous, shaky, emotional. I'm so glad I'm getting to the point I can cut back. It sounds like you are really starting to get around much more. Me too. I went for my first car ride today and walked around at a park today. It felt so freeing to be out of the house!
I also went into this before being in as much pain as many people seem to be. Since I am a dance and exercise instructor, I had to do it in order to continue working. It was painful to teach And my range of motion and flexibility was completely gone. I did have a constant limp but not really painful. But in my everyday existence, my hip wasn't that bad. Immediately after the surgery I was sure I had just made the biggest mistake of my life. But as I'm getting better, I am feeling better about this and anyway there is no where to go but forward now! Being proactive is a good thing instead of losing valuable time just waiting for things to get worse. Life is too short and no one knows what the future holds so it's awesome that by doing this surgery we will never have to become incapacitated by this arthritis! We are incapacitated for a couple months in exchange for years of hiking, dancing, or whatever we love!
 
Went to bed at 9pm and woke at 2:45am. I'll take it! Took half a norco before bed. I am feeling stronger and definitely more clear headed. I was so confused and out of it the first two weeks. Today I am walking around the house with just a cane. Definite progress for me. I never thought I would be so flippin excited to walk with a cane. I do not feel real confident with it however so I know I won't be leaving the house without the walker.

Tomorrow is my 2 week surgeon appt so I will ask if and when I can become a little more active. I am confused as to how much I should be doing. How much is too much walking and when am I not doing enough. My personality favors black and white instructions but I am finding out there are no clear answers. I am learning to be more relaxed with myself.

I do have a little pain in the top of my thigh that feels like a pulled muscle when I begin walking but it tends to dissipate after a few minutes. I believe I hurt it a couple of nights ago while turning over in bed.

I have slight nausea again. I don't know why???

Definite progress for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 week apt is tomorrow as well....we must keep in touch! I'm about where you are...2 crutches outside but one in house. Just not sure what else I should be doing as well.
Chris
 
I am feeling stronger today! My operated leg feels like it had a workout but I think that is because I used a cane for most of the day. Went to the local Target store and just walked behind a shopping cart around for 30 minutes...slowly! The last 2 days I feel like a turned a huge corner and emotionally I am doing better. I still am ultra sensitive and tears are still flowing without much provocation. Like I have stated previously the emotional toll has been the hardest part of this operation. Loss of independence, drug induced confusion, lack of sleep, no appetite, husband with no caregiving skills...a recipe for a major meltdown.

I have my postop appt this afternoon. Good thing they waited two weeks before scheduling. Otherwise I would have had nothing good to report. Lol

I did notice a my hip clicking a few times this morning but not pain. I trust that is normal but will ask this afternoon.
 
I'm with you. Today is my 13 day post op and I'm still not sure I will be a happy smiley post op patient. Last night was terrible again. Hubby gets me ice in the middle of the night which is sweet. I wake up in a pool of sweat, from pain I suppose. Let's compare notes this evening. Hugs.
 
You may have been in an emotional roller coaster, but I get a pretty strong sense that you are a very strong and determined woman and I have no doubt you will be right back where you want to be in no time!
 
@Molly12 how did your dr appt go? was he pleased with your progress? My first check in with my doc isnt for 2 more weeks, but I had my first outpaient pt today. I also spent my first day using a cane..... things are moving forward! @donor Hi! i see you also had your surgery on May 19th
 
Hello @Zumbamama and @Molly12 .....just back from doc apt which took wayyyyyy to long. Got xrays and freaked out when I saw them. I needed a cup of water. Pain was of control so have some new meds to experiment with. They feel bad I've struggled so much with the pain and nausea but everyone reacts differently I suppose. The blues I feel is probably from pain but if in a week I still feel this way I go off blood thinner. Apparently everything else is good...all strips removed from incision. I could not wait to get hone to my iceberg.
 
Hello @Molly12 - I just read your thread through and the best advice I can give you is to take it easy. You have just had MAJOR surgery! My husband told me this frequently when I expected to be back to normal almost immediately. If you read a post by BEACHGAL on my thread she gives a rundown of her recovery and it is very inspiring and sensible. Beachgal said to be patient for the first 3 months and healing will proceed in time.
She tells what she did after 3 months - busy lady! You'll be impressed.
I was lucky in that I didn't have meltdowns although I had been a very active person. I had to sit inside for 4 months when I should have been cross country skiing. I live in cold N Ontario. It was a long winter!
I also had a cleaning woman come in once a week as my husband is not a clean freak and that helped. Do you have help with the housework?
Try to stay positive- you don't have a terminal illness and you will be pain free soon. Check out Great Aunt Janet and Sunbunny for a good laugh. We're all cheering for you!:yay::dancy::spin:
Diane
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom