THR Molly's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a god idea to follow the surgeons advice... Better to err on the side of caution!
 
Ditto (me) being on 325 mg aspirin twice daily for blood clot prevention. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen 60 mg (except for pets, but I don't think they mean that for you!). That's a really tiny dose. Surely there must be some paperwork they sent you home with listing all your meds and the doses. Maybe look through all that.

I also think the surgeon's instructions trump the PT's any day of the week. Better do what he/she says.
 
@Molly12 Welcome to the other side. Remember you are discharged from the hospital to recover, not because you have recovered. Follow the mantras and you'll do great! I'll leave your official recovery articles here for you to refer back to during this process:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
@Molly12
Gosh, that was a quick hospital stay! But I'm sure you are happy to be back home in your own
surroundings. Hope you can follow the advice of your surgeon re the medications and restrictions. It was a
pity the other advice you were given was so confusing.
All the best,
Buzzy.
 
It has now been 48 hours since surgery and I feel amazing. Pain totally under control, can put full weight on operated leg, using walker just as an anchor not for support, slept on my side, my mood is good. I can't believe I just had major surgery. I am following th bonesmart mantra and will take things slow as I want an uncomplicated recovery. I was in good physical condition before the surgery and never had debilitating pain before surgery. My procedure was anterior so perhaps this also helps in recovery. I do feel some muscular pain in my thigh when walking but zero pain when sitting. Now I am scared that this just the honeymoon stage. Lol
 
Hi @Molly12 ! You are sounding so good!! They sent me home with a prescription for 81 mgs aspirin. I'm finding this day to be the toughest so far. I'm ok when I'm walking or sitting, it's getting up and down that is the worst. While I was in the hospital they were only giving me 1 oxycodone 5mgs and only when I asked for it. They also were giving me tramadole on a regular basis. This was working ok there but things got a little more serious this morning. Now I am planning on taking it every 4 hours no matter what.
I am so jealous you could sleep on your side!! Since I did both that's not happening too soon! I just can't maneuver myself onto my side. Mine is anterior too so I don't think I'd be actually lying in it.
 
Honeymoon stage is over. Tried to increase time between meds yesterday and realize that was not a good idea so I am going back to other schedule. The pain level has increased overnight and I believe the leg and hip are waking up. It feels like the swelling is going down and the real leg and hip is starting to heal if that makes sense. Walking with a walker really hurts right now. So I will ice, rest,and take meds on previous schedule today. I intuitively knew that my feeling so good was not going to last. I was still on a surgery high. On. Positive note I am not constipated!!!
 
@Molly12 I know how you feel! I could walk the best the same day of the surgery. Yesterday each step was literally moving me forward 2 inches. I haven't gotten up yet today. I am going to try and hold off getting up until a half hour after my meds.... Hopefully we will both have better days today!
 
I seem to be progressing slowly but surely. Yesterday I had a couple of hours of extreme incision pain. It felt like like someone was taken a burning poker to my thigh. Also it felt like the skin was being stretched past its limits. I iced it a lot and it has settled down this morning. @Josephine could you help look at my med schedule and suggest ways to start weaning off. I am ok at the moment with my schedule but feel lost as how to wean down. My mind is very confused when trying to make up any schedule...must b the drugs lol

Currently I take norco 10 /325 every 4 hours and stagger tramadol 50 mg every 4 hours so I take something every two hours. This currently makes me very groggy and sleepy all day long but takes care of the pain. I appreciate any and all advice u can give me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Molly12

I think your incision pain and the burning is muscle spasms. I've had quite a few days of the same kind of pain. My OS said it is because of them moving, stretching the flexor muscle among other things to get to the hip joint. But believe me, it's 1000 times better than the flexor muscle being cut. My left hip had the flexor cut and that was over a year ago. I don't think it will ever be the same.

I can tell you how I weened off the stronger drugs. I went to every 6 hours after I was forgetting to take them every 4. Then after I was forgetting every 6 hours I switched to as needed. Some days are better than others. Today it will be scheduled because I over did it yesterday. I went from Percocet to Norco. The Norco isn't nearly as strong.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox

I have a question about weaning back on the painkillers over in my recovery thread. I'd love your insight. Even though I'm successfully stretching out the time between 10mg doses of Percocet, I haven't figured out how to transition to 5 mg doses.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
@Josephine could you help look at my med schedule and suggest ways to start weaning off.
Why would you want to be weaning off your pain meds after only one week? That's not a good idea.
Currently I take norco 10/325 every 4 hours and stagger tramadol 50 mg every 4 hours so I take something every two hours. This currently makes me very groggy and sleepy all day long but takes care of the pain
You shouldn't be doing this. You're overdosing yourself. I suggest you try Tramadol 100mg and Tylenol 1,000mg every 6hours and see how you go with that.
 
@Josephine this is the schedule the hospital sent me home with. I agree it is too much as I feel too drugged during the day. Can you clarify timing and dosage of tramadol and Tylenol? I am following their instructions exactly.
 
They should have their hands slapped! (in my very humble opinion!)

I think I already did clarify the timing
Tramadol 100mg and Tylenol 1,000mg every 6 hours
That means, for instance, 6am, 12md, 6pm and 12mn. Or if you go to bed around 10pm, the set an alarm for the 4am dose.
 
@Josephine thank u. I have been very confused all week and sometimes can't even do simple time calculations. That is why I wanted to start weaning because intuitively knew something was not right with my thoughts. Your help is greatly appreciated as I continually come here to get answers.
 
@JulieJF

I felt as though I didn't need to stay on the 10mg. I talked it over with my surgeon And we agreed to switch to the 5 mg. If the 5 mg wasn't cutting it I just take another one. I was covered either way. It's easier to cut back if you have options. I will switch to the tramadol when ready. I am not there yet. I went to buy a new swimsuit today for my pt and wow, I really wasn't ready for that kind of outing. I don't have my stamina back yet. Plus I overdid it walking. I thought I'd be fine. But lesson learned. So I took 10 mg of Norco and it worked. Everyone is different. Just remember to take it easy. Luckily I have an amazing husband who helps me and does what he can to make life easier for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I have over one week into my new hip and have had many ups and downs. Unfortunately, my hospital discharge nurse wrote down my meds incorrectly and I was double dosing on norco and tramadol for a week. I was totally confused and felt overly drugged. She also incorrectly wrote down how much aspirin I was to take daily. She wrote down 80 mg per day and my surgeons office told me I need 325 mg everyday. I was not off to a good start. I believe I now I have the the correct meds for my current pain level. I have quit taking tramadol completely and reduced how how much norco I am taking. At least now I can think much more clearly. Lesson learned :double check discharge instructions with surgeons office.

The positives are I am not constipated (taking colace daily), minimal swelling and not much bruising. I can walk outside with my walker for short distances. I find I tire out as the day wears on and it starts to hurt to walk later in the day. Lots and lots of ice and resting in the recliner. Attempted to walk with cane and did ok for a few minutes but then my leg and hip started to hurt a lot. Also, I am able to sleep in my bed for about 4 hour stretches so this really helps my mood. I remember my surgeon telling me before the OP that he wanted me to stay on the walker at least 2 weeks and I thought he was crazy. I envisioned I would be the poster child for hip replacement and would be going out daily with friends for coffee, lunch, etc just using a cane. I have not left my house yet.LOL. Another lesson learned: the surgeon knows best.

My husband has not been helpful in my recovery and unfortunately having him around has hindered my recovery. If he rolls his eyes one more time when I ask for help... If given a choice I would have rather hired outside help for me and sent him on a two week golf trip. Sadly, I am not kidding! Another lesson learned...husband has no care taking skills

All in all, things are good!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad things have improved. But that is totally unacceptable that she got your meds wrong, personally, I would write a letter to the head of the hospital and copy your surgeons office. That's ridiculous.
Also, sorry about your husband. Sounds like he just really doesn't understand.
Here's to a better week now that the meds are sorted out!
 
@Molly12

I agree with Gummy Bear. I would write a letter and let them know what happened. When you feel better, of course. I also commend you for only needing Norco after this surgery. I think you are doing great. Just remember the BoneSmart mantra and you will feel amazing. These people know what they are talking about. For me it's about not crossing that fine line of doing too much. Some days that line gets blurred and then you need more pain meds.

So sorry about your husband. He should go watch a video of what they did to you. But YOU don't watch it. I bet he'd be by your side and never roll another eye. Good luck to you. We are all here if you need to vent or get great information.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Molly12 You are doing great! We are only 9 days out, we have to remember that! It's really not too long considering what we had done! I hope you had a good day today.... I managed to take a shower by myself and made my own lunch using the counter for balance. Small triumphs can mean so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom