Guest viewing is limited

THR Molly's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be 5 weeks and once again the muscle right of incision is giving pain...so much that it again hurts to walk. I have no idea what is causing it to hurt again. I did sleep on my operated side last night so perhaps I injured it again. My hip itself does not hurt. I did not do too much over the weekend!! It is an isolated spot that is sore to the the touch. Hopefully a day of rest will help. So frustrating as I had to cancel plans with friends as I just can't walk without pain. Lots of ice and elevation today.
 
@Molly12
So sorry for your thigh pain. My first surgery 5 months ago was anterior and mine hurts there a bit too ~ take your pain meds and rest when it hurts.
Call your doctor if it worries you. You are in my thoughts.
 
@Molly12 so sorry... we are a hot mess on this board! I did something to my back so taking pain meds for that now. :( take care of yourself and keep us posted.
 
@Molly12 I just changed rooms and slept on a firm bed AND slept on my operated side. Boy was I sore. PT said that there is still a lot of healing going on deep in that incision. 8 weeks and every week had it's challenges for me but when I made those little advances they seemed monumental. Make sure to take care of yourself. Only you know how you feel. Sending you best wishes for patience in your recovery. :flwrysmile:
I think it's @Poppet who usually chimes in around now in your recovery to show you where you are. Amazing the stages of we go through...
 
@Molly12 5 weeks here too! You were brave to sleep on the operated side. My surgeon said last week I was fine to as well I'm just not brave enough yet. That side still feels a bit foreign. Are you feeling any better today?
 
Thanks @wcgirl -- you are the first member to mention the healing phases. Much appreciated! :)
 
Six weeks have gone by and I have definitely progressed since the beginning. I can tie my shoes, touch my toes, walk unassisted, drive my car, take short walks, and do minimal housekeeping chores. My greatest obstacle to overcome is expecting to be fully healed at this stage. I am nowhere near my preop activity level and probably won't be for a long time. I did not have lots of pain before the surgery so I did not experience instant relief when awakening from the surgery. I still feel much worse than before surgery. I have trouble understanding how much to push myself and when to back off. A few times I have overdone it and suffered many setbacks. New pain appears daily and old pains leave daily. I have spent far too much time on the internet trying to self diagnose all the pains and imagine I have tendinitis, need a psoas release, sciatica, and the list goes on and on.

The advice and counsel of people I respect is also contradictory. Some say I need physical therapy and others say I need none. Some say I need more pain meds and others say I need none. Some say to stretch and some say not to. I believe I need to take a break from reading about others journey for awhile as this is truly my journey alone. There is no magic formula for healing and I am now going to try and listen to my body and treat it gently. If it hurts, I will rest. I will carry my cane along on long walks in case I need it. I will trust that any new pain I have is just healing and I will respect the process going on in my body.

My biggest frustration with this whole experience is nothing is set in stone...no one agrees on protocols, meds, rest vs exercise, restrictions, physical therapy, antibiotics for dental procedures, TED stockings, blood thinners and the list goes on and on...

I need some quiet time away from thinking about my hip. I am slowly driving myself crazy!!!! grrrrrrr.......
 
@Molly12 I hear you 100%. I'm exactly where you are and understand. I'm still glad this is over but not happy about my outcome and setbacks. Listening to your own body and disconnecting makes perfect sense. It's hard to do because at this point we thought we'd be farther along and we keep.searching for answers. I personally did not think I'd hurt in other places as a result of my hip operation. We are supporting you in your recovery, whatever that looks like for you. ♡
 
@Molly12 checking on you since we are so close with our hip dates. :)
 
8 week appt with surgeon and good news to report. Today I can say I am glad I had this operation. I have no hip,pain that was there before the surgery and only minimal muscle and tendon aches. He told me to get back to living my life and slowly start adding activities...biking, golf, and hiking. I have no restrictions to follow. I am now walking 2 miles at a time at a pretty good clip again. I plan to get back on my bike tomorrow and will head to the golf course this weekend. I am determined to go slow and if it starts to hurt I will back off and rest and ice. He says I do not need PT since my gait is good. My next appt is in one year.

I appreciate all the advice of people on this forum. Many times I felt lost as to what to do or expect before/after surgery. It was so nice to be able to come here and feel I was heard. A heartfelt thank you to all.

I basically rested, iced, ate well, and did no PT. I tried to,take daily walks to keep mobile. It was not an easy journey for me but I am hopeful that the worst is behind me!
 
Thanks for the update @Molly12. My PT dismissed me and said I only had to go back if my glute muscle needed some more dry needling. It seemed everyone else was going for PT so I was worried but I see from your report that if we are walking well we don't need PT.
You are doing very well. Congratulations on a good recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom