THR Molly's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@donor

What made you freak out when you saw the x-rays? It's funny...as much as I'm looking forward to seeing mine, I think I'm equally concerned that my first reaction will be to blanche, feel queasy, and want to look away. Sometimes, as I look for information both here and on the web, I give myself the willies.

Was it that kind of reaction, or was it something else?

I'm glad they're working with you to get the pain and nausea sorted out. That wears on you, for sure.
 
@JulieJF it was a strange feeling....I mean I know full well I had a surgery trust me! but seeing the metal was bizarre. I was in so much pain, the room was hot, long wait etc......I just almost passed out. The PA was so concerned about the pain and sleeplessness. I took half norco when I got home. But the iceberg helps the most. :ice:
 
@Zumbamama @donor Well I had my appt and it went quite well. Saw my new hip X-ray and found it interesting. Says everything is looking good, leg lengths are equal and my other good hip does not need surgery as it only has a few bone spurs. I was worried about it because it has been hurting lately. My surgeon definitely follows the bone smart mantra on exercise and rehab. Told me to quit going to the mall for walking exercise right now. He said all I should be doing is walking around my house, yard,occasional trips to store, sitting at the neighborhood pool but that is all. My job for the first month is to rest and heal. No physical therapy is warranted as he says hips don't need rehab unless there is a glaring problem. I was hoping he was going to give the green light to walk more and longer but said he has seen too many people do too much too soon only to suffer setbacks and end up back on the walker. I will follow his protocol because I do not want to go back to the walker.

One more week of aspirin for blood thinners. Just about totally off norco tramadol and Tylenol. Took a half norco last night and will take another half before bed tonight to help me sleep. I have lots of aches and pains when rolling over in bed. At least I have the option to turn over. Many others are not so lucky.Absolutely hated the med regime. I still have constant nausea and will try an enteric coated aspirin to see if this might be causing my stomach upset.

From the very beginning my surgeon has warned me not to believe all the hype about the anterior method as being pain free quick recovery. Says I am doing great and will see me in 6 weeks.

I appreciate all of you stopping by with your advice and support. It means a lot to me as unfortunately most of my friends and family don't get it. They keep encouraging me to do more, not less!!! Grrrrrrrr.......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Too right @Molly12 - really take it as slow as you need to, especially during the first 6 weeks. I haven't had any physio since I left hospital on Day 4, and have just done the basic exercises gently and not too often or hard. I have walked increasing distances when comfortable and just gradually withdrew use of aids (but I still have a pole at the ready for hikes) - sometimes I didn't walk if I felt sore. At 8 weeks today - I am riding my bike (a little distance only and it is flat here, lucky me) to work and to the supermarket, walked an hour yesterday briskly and have been at work (standing, walking reasonable distance, up and down steps) since week 4.

That is just my road - everyone's is different - but so many people on this forum advise taking it slow, that I think that it must be a really important factor. Slow and laid back if you can. You are just 2 weeks postop - be nice to yourself :) The next few weeks will fly by, with little improvements every day - and that is what you want.

I copied and pasted some of the bonesmart stuff into Word, and printed it off and MADE my husband read it when I was pre-op. It really helped to keep him on the same page and encouraging me to rest as much as I needed. He wouldn't have gone on line and read it, but printing it seemed to work. Maybe try that on any pushers!
 
A good day with minimal discomfort. I am using the cane now and occasionally forget that I need it so that must be a positive sign that I am getting better. I was amazed how easy it was to transition to a cane. One day I was totally reliant on the walker and the next day the cane felt comfortable. I ice a lot during the day and am resting a lot too. Went to lunch with friend and sat poolside for a few hours. Felt normal and talked about normal things that did not include my hip. I am beginning to believe I will be okay. The past 2 weeks were horrendous. But they appear to be over. Feeling thankful tonight!
 
@Molly12 I used enteric coated aspirin, 325 mg twice per day for anticoagulation. Even though I always took it with food, and even though I normally have a bomb-proof stomach, I felt stomach discomfort every day until I stopped the aspirin. It wasn't nausea but it didn't feel good and I didn't feel like eating much. The first day without aspirin--felt totally normal again! Of course the downside is I have gained back the few pounds I lost when my stomach was unhappy......
 
@Gummy Bears

Try to email it to yourself from your iPhone. That gives you the option email small, medium, or original sized files. You might be able to manipulate the file size that way. PM me if you'd like a hand...I've also got Photoshop.
 
Wow! Huge gains for me in the last few days. Pain free with no meds. I can sleep on my side and back pain free and I can gently roll over on my incision side occasionally. No more nausea feeling. I took our electric golf cart to the neighborhood pool ALL BY MYSELF with no problem. What a wonderful taste of freedom. My girlfriend took me for a pedicure and lunch yesterday and visited with a another friend last night. I took a very short walk with my cane down my road with absolutely no pain. I am still icing a lot and not doing any other exercises...just letting nature take its course and heal.

I am paying great attention to my diet making sure to include lots of protein,veggies, and fruits. I have had normal bowel movements daily again.

My surgeon has cautioned me to not put aside my cane for another 10 days even though I at times feel no need for it. He wants it to serve as my anchor not to overdue exercise. He is a huge believer in soft tissue healing so I don't develop tendinitis or bursitis. He has too many people do too much too soon and then retreat back to a walker. I also like using it as it serves as a reminder to people around me to give me a wide berth and not crowd me. I am also amazed at the kindness of others when they see me struggle.

All is good!
 
Major milestone yesterday! Drove solo to nearby store (less than 1 mile) parked in handicap space, got out of car with cane, bought lipstick, back to car and home again. I practiced braking before attempting this and had no problems. Oh the little victories...

Still lots of resting, icing and naps. I can now maneuver myself in bed so much better than the first week. When I first get up from a sitting position I take a few seconds to gain my balance as the first few steps are shaky but after a few steps I feel normal. I do not notice any leg discrepancy. I still have some radiating nerve pain down my shin into my ankle that really bothered me pre op but hope it continues to improve.

Sleep is a lot better since I now can sleep on side with no pillow between legs to get tangled up in.

It is hard for me to judge when I might be doing too much vs too little. My groin was sore last night but seems ok this morning. My body is telling me to ease up a little today.

I know I am experiencing an exceptional recovery and I am sensitive that others are having a tougher time. I have been fortunate that my pain has been minimal and is controlled by Tylenol. Perhaps it is because the anterior method does not disturb as many muscles? My hope is to serve as an example to others that it is possible that a hip replacement surgery is nothing to fear.

All is good today!
 
I say GOOD FOR YOU! congratulations! :yay: It is the small things that give us the feeling that there is light at the end of the tunnel. So funny that you bought a lipstick. ...I have not worn a drop of makeup in 18 days now. I took a small visit to my office yesterday to see everyone and it felt great. I manage a doctor's office go figure! Today going to find a cane as I think I could get off my one crutch. As I have stopped the pain pills I felt better. ....so it is possible to do this on tramadol and Tylenol alone but holy s--t I don't recommend it. Yay for @Molly12 :bath:
 
@donor good to hear that u also are getting more mobile. One thing I did do every morning was put on lipstick and mascara. I look so washed out without lipstick that I couldn't face myself in the mirror. Made me feel more normal even though I felt miserable. I hear u on the opioids!!! It was a nightmare for me...by far the worst thing of the entire surgery experience. Unfortunately my body and my mind did not like the tramadol either. I have always been super sensitive to any meds.

Just drove myself to Starbucks this morning and typing this on my iPad to u. all is right in world today.
 
Yay @Molly12 !!!! I understand the mascara and lippie thing....Just could not do it between upchucking from the meds. I am a chemical lightweight aka cheap date! :) Today I am going to buy a cane at the Goodwill.....big outing! Still have not driven yet, I have a tiny little sportscar and I need to get LOW to get in....next week I think! Perhaps in your honor today some lipstick! Take care and continued progress to my Surgery Date Twin.
Chris
 
Thank you for sharing your encouraging recovery! It is important for those of us still facing surgery to see both the easy and the difficult recoveries. We are then prepared for our individual recovery, be it good or bad. Even the difficult recoveries pretty much always have a happy ending (albeit maybe a bit longer) to a full and pain free life. Thanks again Molly!
 
Three week update

I can now sleep on both sides of my hips. Sleeping is so much better which really helps my mood. Rolling over in bed does not cause the intense pain it once did.

Yesterday I took a number of mini walks, drove myself out for coffee, picked up around the house, went to visit friends all with minimal to nonexistent pain. Getting up from a seated position takes me a few minutes to feel steady on my feet and I need my cane to gain my balance before moving. I am still keeping the cane by my side because I need it...especially when tired. I tire easily and my energy levels are low. A far cry from a month ago. Patience is hard for me but I am learning to slow down.

My scar is still bumpy with scabbing. I keep it loosely covered during the day but uncovered at night.

I have discovered many other aches and pains from accommodating my new hip...back, hands, shoulders, feet. The hip does feel good and the terrible pain from climbing steps is gone.

I still ice a couple of hours a day and elevate my hip as it just feels good to do so. I have had no bruising or swelling the entire time. Today is my last day for aspirin and I ditched the TED stockings early on. Against my surgeons recommendations but just could not tolerate them.

I know I am still very early in my recovery but I do find myself getting tired of how hard it seems to get around. It takes forever to get dressed, ready to go out, fix meals etc. post op blues??? I always am forgetting to take things with me, dropping everything, losing my cane, asking for help, struggling to get out of chairs, friends thinking I am healed...

Still not ready to say how happy I am to have had this operation but hopeful that I will continue to improve.
 
@Molly12 I am 3 weeks today. I feel we are surgery twins. :) so happy you have excelled here. I read your posts for inspiration. My husband says I am improving alot but I don't see it myself. I still have a good deal of pain in upper thigh and at times I've moved a certain way and it literally takes me breath away. I have not been brave enough to roll onto my right side. I still have pain in that hip and I was told massage the area and get proper feeling to return. My scar is like a zipper and lumpy too. If I pull my pants over it without thinking it's a big owie! I cannot push off in that leg from a seated position or go up stairs foot over foot at all. That upper thigh pain will put me on my knees. I walk and walk and ice and ice and ice. Not much pt yet but he comes tomorrow. Last night mentally I was in a hole. Today I am hoping is a better day. Best wishes to you.:catbutterfly:
Chris
 
I am closing in on 4 weeks and I feel quite good most days. Only an occasional Tylenol for the past 2 weeks. I can walk without my cane but still nervous about going out without it...my security blanket.

My surgeon does not order PT for his patients unless there are complications. I am not doing any formal exercises but can walk foot over foot up and down steps, can do straight leg raises, put on my clothes, shave my legs, and do a few leg abductions. I am not even trying clamshells at this point. I take 2 twenty minutes walks per day and an occasional trip to the mall or grocery store. Should I begin ramping up my activity? I am not in pain with any of this except it is difficult when I get up from a seated position. It takes a few seconds to get my balance and my first few steps are painful but then I am alright. I have read so many stories of people taking it too quickly and causing tendinitis. I do not want this to hPpen to me. As of now, if something starts to hurt I quit doing it.


Are there more things I should be doing? I feel at a loss as how/when to incorporate more activity. I do not see my surgeon again until the middle of July.

Any advice or suggestions welcomed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Molly12 I have many of the season questions. I was thrilled to file my big toenail this morning. Was out of the question last week. In fact hubby took off my toe polish last week which was looking horrible. ......he tried his best but what a mess! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom