Guest viewing is limited

Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 - well Cindy the race is ON! :fasthorse:
@Jaycey - I'll ask about a mild sedative (thanks) wasn't sure if it was a no-no ahead of surgery. Frankly I think I am a basket case already! :scary:
And ..... Today's topic for discussion is ...... The Op Sedation ..... When DO you "come round" after the Op?
I mean is it an instant thing or gradual (like emerging from a GA?) :yawn: and are you in the post Op area or back in your room? Is it like blink and you're awake all of a sudden and then completely compus? :eyebrows:
 
You got it girl! :rofsign:

EDITED: From the moment they wheeled me into the OP room until they rolled me into my room and were getting me into my bed, I don't remember one iota! The next day the
X-Ray Techs asked if I remembered them from the day before and I told them no siree!
 
When DO you "come round" after the Op?
Everyone comes around differently. But post both THRs I was awake when they were rolling me out of theatre into the recovery area. And with spinal and sedation you are wide awake - not groggy and in a fog as you are with GA. They will take you to a recovery area where you will stay for awhile. Nurses monitor all your vital signs for an hour or two and once they confirm you are stable you will go to a ward.
 
Thanks. Gosh, that quick?! Sounds good in a way. Clearly the sedation wears of pretty quickly then. There is a difference between spinal and epidural I know - but presumably the "wearing off" bit in terms of being awake happens much the same (ie fairly fast) after they've stopped sedating you???
I think I will become a fan of epidural/sedation as I didn't like the groggy feeling of GA, which stays in your system for quite a while.
Just LOVE :friends: my friends on here .... where else would I get this level of support, and so quickly? :):):)
 
Sometimes they call it twilight sedation as you are just bearly under but enough to not remember anything. I was more scared of the spinal than the actual op the first time around. But I would not have it any other way. GA makes me SO sick for literally days!
 
I had the spinal with sedation and the first thing I remember post op is the sensation of being rolled and someone telling me "you are all finished", I was so shocked and mumbled a garbled "really? Already?" I did end up being kept in recovery for hours due to low heart rate but I was sort of semi aware and dozing.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Thanks @jomarie58 - that's nice, just very different from GA, which seems to make me groggy for ages though I'm not entirely sure how soon you come round after you leave the Operating Theatre on that to be honest.

@Jaycey . This low heart rate thing does seem to crop up regularly - I have naturally low blood pressure and am a bit concerned that if it drops still further it will cause problems .... (just another worry to add to my list - are you watching @Cynthia777? :oyvey:)
 
This low heart rate thing does seem to crop up regularly - I have naturally low blood pressure and am a bit concerned that if it drops still further it will cause problems .
Lots of patients experience lower blood pressure just post op. Please don't worry! That's what they are monitoring in the recovery area I told you about earlier. And once you are in your ward just move very slowly at first. If you are the least bit light headed wait awhile to start moving around. These things settle pretty quickly.
 
Always there @Jaycey - thanks! PS Saw the Doc and have been given 7 x diazepam. She suggested taking one the night before being admitted so I get a decent night's sleep. Like you, I don't think I'll need to do more than that, but it is almost a comfort having them by me. You know I think, possibly like @Cynthia777's delayed start, the waiting time isn't necessarily all bad. Being told 2-3 months sounded like ages and I do want it to pass quickly and I DO want to get on with it - but at the same time the benefit of being able to explore (and settle) my concerns allows me time to get my head around what is to come. And that is the beauty of Bonesmart! Where else would you get this? :thumb:
 
@Miss Muffet
I thought I'd mention, I have chronic low blood pressure (within normal ranges), averaging around 107/68 and had no problems with with surgery or taking pain meds. I had general and a spinal without a hitch.
 
This has been a good thread of information.

Like you, Miss M, I worry about being worried and all of the 'what if' scenarios. :scare:

Today's worry is about how I will be able to get in and out of my chair and bed. I am having a lateral. The recliner we have is a rocker as well. The foot rest is operated by a lever to rise and then you can use the lever and one foot to push it down. I hope that will work.

Have s good evening everyone! :angel:
 
@Arlene56 - keep tuning in on my thread then. I can assure you I'll raise just about anything you can think of!
In my mind I will experience every flipping thing that can possibly cause a trip up.

I suspect @Jaycey will make comment about the recliner needing foot pressure to lower it - she will lead you to a hyperlink on recliners which is pretty comprehensive. We have one which is electric but I think will be too low (and possibly too squashy. It's leather) for me although I'm only 5'2". I suppose the possibility of raising it on blocks may come into play? There's a lot in favour of recliners on here. - many hippies use them instead of beds as they seem to confine you in a slightly restricted space (so avoiding the risk of turning, which of course is a no no for the early stages of recovery) Keep in touch
 
@CricketHip :hi: - read your comments about using a roller to sort out tight muscles. Do you really think a pastry roller would be OK? In which case I'll use one of them when the time comes. But how ,one after the Op did you resort to that? Would love your thoughts - and thanks :roseshwr:
 
Hello @Miss Muffet!! I think a pastry roller would do quite well for you.. the one that I showed the link for is a bit more adaptive but definitely try the pastry roller first and see if you like how it feels and if it helps.
In fact, you could use it now while you wait if your thigh muscles are screaming. Hopefully yours is at least 12 inches or more? ( the roller, not your thigh) :heehee: The length helps you access the lateral and medial sides of your thigh.
I am a Therapeutic Massage Therapist and I use bamboo rollers on clients and decided to try it on myself when I was feeling so stiff and achy after a long car ride.
I now work my legs every 2-3 days.. helps me immensely, especially since I am back to my practice full time.

I hope you get a surgery date soon! The waiting is so difficult. You are doing what we all have done, reading and researching this site and getting a head start on our good post op results! :walking:
 
@CricketHip - thanks for that. I suppose it is easy to go out and buy what is actually in the kitchen drawer (and would do the job quite nicely!)?
How soon after surgery did you start doing this I wonder?
My thigh is only slightly more than 12" (Duck's Disease) - ha ha - and fortunately so is the roller.
Was so interested to hear about this and it all seems to make sense.
So ......... lather up on body lotion and get rolling!
PS - if I end up with one Jerry Hall leg I'll start on the other side. :heehee:
 
I didn't start the "rolling" until I was in my third month of healing, so Im not a good one to assess when it's time to begin rolling.. l sure wouldn't want anyone to try this until the angry tissues and nerves have calmed down a bit.
Then start your routine with a nice gentle session and see how you do.
The rolling pin will turn on it's own from the handles, so you may not need the lotion... but if you can isolate the handles to prevent the rolling, then a light lotion or oil can be applied and then you will be able to "strip" the ITB and quads quite nicely.. almost like squeegee-ing slush off of the car window.. Now that's an image to end this post with!! haha
 
@Gillywigs and @bettifloss - how are you doing? I picture you both fancy free and cut loose and living life the way you should! Would love to hear your progress. Hugs from over here :friends:
 
@Arlene56 mentioned getting in and out of bed as being a concern. I was able to get in and out in the normal fashion, but I think it was @Nana757 who mentioned getting in and out at the foot of the bed was easier for her (she had posterior and I had anterior). I've also read that wearing a silky nightgown made it easier to "slide" in and out of bed. So I went to Frederick's of Hollywood and purchased a pink playboy bunny silky nighty, which impressed my honey bunch! :rofsign:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom