Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time @missmuffett , we are all in the same boat and going through the same things!


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. From Vic, Australia. sequential unilateral THR June 1st and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Jaycey - good morning. Thinking about preventing DVT post-Op but what about pre-Op? I wear a step counter and do a worrying amount of movement on a daily basis, which when increased causes me pain. Any advice please?
 
Unless you have a history of DVT or clotting please don't worry about this pre-op. No need to do anything that will aggravate those sore hips at this point in time.

Post op you may need to wear compression socks and you will be taking regular medication or giving yourself injections of blood thinning medication to ward off any DVT.

Hope you get your date soon. This waiting is really the hardest part of the journey!
 
Hello @Gillywigs - how are you doing today?
:reading: I'm researching wedge pillows in readiness (for my bed) :elevate: and cannot recall if it was you or @bettifloss (Hi @bettifloss) who made a recommendation - Amazon I believe ...? The ones I've seen so far are a fairly thin wedge. Thanks x
 
Hi @Miss Muffet how are you doing today? I was interested in what you said about dvt. I think every surgeon has their own preferences. I wear compression socks and am on blood thinning tablets (not warfarin) until 6 weeks post op. The compression socks are challenging to put on. My elder daughter did mine for me and we were in absolute hysterics when she got her fingers stuck inside the heel. It certainly gave us a good laugh. I havent used any sort of pillow when sleeping on my back and I have got used to it now. Ventured further afield yesterday with hubby and had coffee and a shop in m and s food hall. Hope you are managing to keep your spirits up. You wont know yourself when its done. Much love xxx
 
Sorry Miss M - i got mine from a local mobility shop, not Amazon, and I've thrown the wrapper away! Its quite deep though, about four or five inches at the back.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@Gillywigs and @bettifloss - thanks ladies. I've found them on the inter-web thingy so will barge in and order from Amazon. Need to be doing positive planning stuff to keep me focussed and occupied. Test drove my M&S Bridget knickers and they'll be perfect. Think I'll be on aspirin (according to my Doc) and those stockings are a challenge but I'll still do everything by the book. Glad you're getting out and about Gilly - you'll soon earn a loyalty card at these coffee shops xxx
 
OK @Jaycey - here's today's question. Why do I keep reading about people suffering from teeth chattering cold during/after surgery? Is it something to do with the Operating Theatre conditions under which they have to conduct the procedure? Doesn't sound like fun. I think I'll go into shock if that happens to me as I tend to fold up in the cold anyway.....
 
@Miss Muffet Hope you're doing well today!
I keep wondering about the cold spell people seem to go through post-op, too! Being that my surgery date isn't until summer-ish time here, will I mind freezing? :rofsign: And how much will I loathe those compression socks!?
For now, I notice that when my pain levels are higher, the colder I feel. Oh well, I guess I'll be leaving the winter blankets out of storage this year, just in case.
 
@MI Chickie - hmm yes it's a strange one isn't it..... what do they do in there? I mean do they operate inside a fridge? :ice: I think it is in the recovery room that people have remarked on it, so it puzzles me. And it's not just hip replacement patients - I visited a friend on Friday who had just had a bunion Op and she remarked on it too. And yes, I also feel the pain more when it's cold. Maybe someone will jump in and tell us? :chinstroke::chinstroke::chinstroke:
 
@Josephine - I wonder if you can help with this query please?
Why do I keep reading about people suffering from teeth chattering cold during/after surgery? Is itsomething to do with the Operating Theatre conditions under which they have to conduct the procedure? Doesn't sound like fun. I think I'll go into shock if that happens to me as I tend to fold up in the cold anyway.....
 
Why do I keep reading about people suffering from teeth chattering cold during/after surgery?
This happened to me after my first THR. They keep the operating theatre fairly cold. Please don't worry. If you are cold just let staff know. In my case they used a wonderful heated blanket pumped with warm air.
 
Good morning @Jaycey - if it's as easy as asking I'll certainly do that. I'll add it to my preOp notes to raise with the nursing staff as well. I do suffer from the cold so it is worth mentioning ahead I think. That wonderful heated blanket pumped with warm air sounds like it will be very welcome! Thanks again
 
I have Raynauld's Syndrome meaning I am very susceptible to cold. When I came out of theatre my teeth were chattering so bad I could not talk. My hands and feet where so cold (partly due to Raynauld's) that the could not get a blood pressure. The blanket is like a giant sauna. I think they call it a Huggy Bear.
 
Hi @Miss Muffet
Thought I would add my 2 cents....and that's about what it's worth...
On top of the OR being cold, they pump you full of IV fluids which are generally refrigerated, I believe. Add to that, Once you're "out" your body temp tends to drop. That's what always happened to me when I had GA. With my THR I had a spinal and they put me in a warmer gown. It was heavenly! Made all the difference in the world. I came to..all warm and toasty, with no chattering teeth or body aching from shivering. Ask for, at least, warmed blankets, as soon as they finish stitching you up. It really does help.
 
I agree with everyone above, and I have used the blanket with warm air, and it really does help. The operating room is very cold, and I think that some of the anesthesia drugs actually contribute to the physical chattering as well. I remember faintly that description in a recovery room following a procedure
 
Patients shivering in recovery can be connected with the seemingly chilled environment in the operating theatre (though the staff generally tend to think that it's quite warm!) but the main reason why people lose body temp is because exposed internal tissues allows the evaporation of body fluids and also loss of heat. And the longer the wound is open and the bigger the incision, the more body heat and fluids the patient is likely to lose.

But this is core temperature and not to be confused with just being chilled by the environment.

There is another factor: if the patient loses a lot of fluid from blood loss and evaporation from exposed internal tissues, then the more likely they are to experience a drop in core temperature.

Most recovery units have a warming cupboard to store extra blankets as well as using Hugger Blankets.

But rest assured that efforts are made to keep patients warm during surgery by using "Hugger Forced Air Warming Blankets" during the surgery and also using warmed intravenous fluids if deemed necessary.

[Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile
 
Thanks to ALL of you for all this helpful information. I'll make a point of raising this at my preOp just so they know I'm a cold soul :ice:
What I LOVE about this site is you only have to ask and in rush all my great new buddies with the answers. It really does help to know you're all out there :angel::angel::angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom