Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

@Josephine Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your feedback. It put my mind at ease. Have a lovely day! :flwrysmile:
 
I'm so glad Josephine checked out the photo for you @Mireille. Now you can sleep a lot easier tonight in your new comfy bed. :sleep: Luckily the itchiness has gone down too. You are doing amazingly well for only having had surgery Feb 6! Used the cane in the house a little less today because I pushed myself too hard walking outside, playing a game, and going to the store. I'll try the cane more tomorrow and skip any major outing, except for my walk--need that vitamin D.:SUNsmile: Sweet dreams.:yawn:
 
@hipster333 Hope you had a good day! I managed to get some more of the adhesive off but there is still some. I don't want to rub aggressively but I'm so... tempted. I started working from home today, didn't really do too much, just catching up on emails but I'm so drained. I actually took a nap. Tired, itchy and sore. I decided to call my OS tomorrow. The bottom of the incision where most of the rash is feels a little warm. I don't have a fever but if anything, he can at least give me something for the rash.

Have a great evening :friends:
 
@Mireille you are a brave woman doing work already! :yikes: Just make sure to take the breaks you need as your body continues to heal. What do you do for work? I think it's a smart idea for you to talk to your OS. As you said, maybe he can give you something for the rash--and maybe he has something that will make it easier to take the adhesive off. If nothing else, it will help to put your mind at ease. I feel asleep early last night, but have been up since 4:30. Luckily I'll be able to take a nap later today. I'm finding it hard not being able to change positions to get comfortable. The OS told me from day 1 I could sleep on either side as long as I had a pillow between my legs (and I am normally a side sleeper), but my operative side is still too tender and I just can't get comfortable on the other side--I think I just get too paranoid that my leg will cross over the other one. Ah the joys of hip
replacement! :hissy:
Have a great day. I hope you're able to get a lot done while still taking the time you need to rest and recover. :friends:
 
@hipster333 Hi, hope today is a good day! I spoke to the PA and sent pictures. I'm waiting to hear back. I woke up with 3 small pus ampules :gaah:. Below is a pic.

I know what you mean about being comfortable, I'm a side sleeper too, my right side. I've tried laying on it but it doesn't feel good. I always end up on my back. I've been having trouble falling asleep. Been going to need around 1am and waking up several times. I'm tired.
Taking naps should take the edge off.
Have a great day and get some rest:flwrysmile:


[Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip<
 
Hi @Mireille
Let us know what the PA says.
I hope you're not worried. Most of these little changes amount to nothing more than part of the process.
Warm wishes for a peaceful relaxing day!
 
I managed to get some more of the adhesive off but there is still some. I don't want to rub aggressively but I'm so... tempted
You should use some "sticky stuff remover"! I forget what it's called in the US.
I started working from home today, didn't really do too much, just catching up on emails but I'm so drained.
At three weeks???? That's much too early! I don't wonder you are drained. I would strongly suggest you limit that to one hour every other day at the most.
The bottom of the incision where most of the rash is feels a little warm.
Warmth is just a sign of healing.
I woke up with 3 small pus ampules
"Ampules"? They're the glass things drugs are issued in :wink:

[Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip<


Besides which, as I said before, your wound looks perfectly okay. Just some irregularities in the skin which show black or navy plus the rash from the adhesive that your skin didn't like. Nothing to worry about at all.

I've seen a lot worse and even those were nothing to worry about!
 
@Mireille I don't know what we'd do without @Layla and Josephine. :roseshwr:These incisions are going to make us crazy! :dubious: We are so blessed to be having our surgeries when we did, that you can just take a photo and get someone to take a look. I hope you aren't working yourself too hard. Are you able to back off a bit as Josephine has suggested? I won't be going back for at least another 3 and a half weeks--I think I spend enough time on the computer that I might as well be working. :rotfl: Mind you, I have a lot more walking around at work than I'm doing now on a regular basis so I need to work up to that. Hope you're able to take a nap!:yawn:
 
@hipster333 @Layla I finally heard back. The OS took a look at my photos, I sent him 6 :heehee:, and he wants to see me tomorrow. I have three "pockets" of pus, 2 on the incision and 1 below it. I'm hopeful that it's just from the rash but I'd rather be cautious.

@Josephine Thank you for the information. I'm not overly worried but just want to be cautious. I guess I should have said "pocket"? :heehee:

I'm working from home but it's just computer work and it's on my own pace. No pressure to work specific hours a day or everyday. I take naps and breaks. They're actually very accommodating.

Thank you all and have a wonderful day! I'll update tomorrow after I see the OS. :flwrysmile:
 
@Mireille glad you're having OS take a look at ease your mind tomorrow. Now you van set your worries aside and have sweet dreams. :sleep: Please do let us know how everything goes with OS. Did you manage to get any work done today? How's the walking coming along? No more marathon cleaning I hope!:heehee:
 
@Jackie222 That's what in banking on. Thanks!

@hipster333 Didn't work much today at all I have a 1/2 hour phone meeting tomorrow morning then I get ready to go to OS. Later in the afternoon is my outpatient PT evaluation. It's going to be a busy day :mcoffee: No cleaning marathons, lol. I'm actually walking pretty good and can bend a lot better. I can put my pants on like a normal person, that's a plus. I'm not taking any painkillers, don't really need them. I have a high pain tolerance which sometimes is not that good for me, according to my doctor :shrug: I feel good overall, the pain right now is more on the actual rash, go figure.

How are you doing? I'm going to check out your thread
 
@Mireiile you are doing awesome! Once that rash heals up you'll be a whole new woman :dancy: 1/2 hr phone meeting doesn't sound too bad, but you do have a busy day with the OS and PT. Let us know how things go! Make sure to take some time to rest in the midst of everything. It's my daughter's 12th birthday today so we're just doing a small family party tonight--she had the friends party just before my surgery so I wouldn't have all of the stress with everything else. Her friends are great and knowing what I do now, I think they would have been fine having it this weekend. At least it's one less thing to worry about and two of her best friends are coming over tonight to hang out with her. I think I may have to tackle the kitchen today--at least everything that is within my reach--I've gotten to my breaking point. How is it possible to get so much grossness on the outside of the fridge? I swear they wipe their hands on it just to drive me crazy! :shrug: Have a wonderful day!:friends:
 
@hipster333 you're funny.....that whole grimy fridge thing, lol!:heehee:


Hey @Mireille
You do have a busy day! I hope it doesn't wear you out. Let us know what you hear about your incision.
Hope your PT evaluation goes well.
A great day to you!
 
@hipster333 Happy birthday to your daughter! Good idea to have the friend's party before surgery.

OMG, are you having furniture delivered? They might want to open the fridge and get something to drink? You have to tackle that kitchen! :rotfl: :snork: Hope you all had a wonderful time with the family!

@Layla OS decided he needed to see me because of the pus pockets he saw on the pictures I sent him. I went this afternoon and he doesn't think I have an infection. Diagnosed me with Allergic Contact Dermititis. The reaction is all over my incision, the side and front of my thigh. He prescribed a steroid cream and I'm seeing the dermatologist next week. He wants me just to keep an eye on it for any draining from the wound. I feel much better. He thinks it may have been from the tape or possibly the dermabond. May have to have patch testing for allergy. I still have a knee replacement in my future.

PT was rescheduled for next Tuesday, was never going to make it in time to the appointment. I'm exhausted. Went to JCPenney, Kirklands and ate out. When I got home, took Tylenol, my ice pack and went straight for a nap. It's going to be a long night :flabber:

Have a great evening! :friends:
 
Great news! I'm happy to hear he doesn't think there is any infection.
The peace of mind is so worth the effort.
Sounds like you had an eventful and exciting day. Good for you!
Get lots of rest and sleep. I'd ice preventatively also.
Hope your night is peaceful!
@Mireille
 
Poor you--what a long day! That's great that the OS doesn't think it is an infection! It's a good thing you went or you wouldn't have the steroid cream or the appt with the dermatologist and an allergy like that is something you'll want to get a handle on. I actually found out two weeks before my surgery that I have an allergy to gold and cobalt so they opted for a ceramic hip vs the titanium. I had taken a reaction to my wedding band yrs ago and just stopped wearing it, so I didn't even think about it until just before the surgery. Phew, possible problem avoided (mind you, even if they'd put the titanium in, the odds were small that it would react, but they said better not to take a chance). I didn't realize you still have to have a knee replacement. Poor @Mireille! Any idea when that will be? Where did you find the energy to go so many places? I have energy envy! I'm tired just thinking about your day. :oyvey:
Hope you're having a great night and are able to relax and get some sleep. :friends:
 
@hipster333 phew, no kidding. Good thing you remembered. An allergic reaction to the implant doesn't sound pleasant :yikes:. It's better to be cautious.

I don't know yet when the other TKR will be. The knee is shot, completely bone on bone but I won't do it until I can't take it anymore. Not mentally ready for that, not sure I'll ever be, so I'm just postponing it as long as I possibly can.

I'm one of those people that can't stay still. I'm always on the go. It actually makes me feel better. Now, I do get tired so I make sure to balance things out with some rest. My normal sleep time is about 6 hours a night. I go to bed late and wake up early. I'm not a napper. I really do feel good (aside from rash).

Have a great evening! Tomorrow brings us closer to full recovery!
 
Very glad your OS was able to put your mind at rest regarding you rash. I know what you mean about further surgery. I’ve been told that a new left hip and knees are in my future but hopefully I can delay them a good few years
 
@Mireille and @Jackie222 okay now you both have me totally terrified if I ever need my knees done (lucky for now they're ok--I was a little worried though the first few days after my hip surgery. ) Hopefully you'll both be able to hold off a long while longer.
@Mireille I know what you mean about not being able to stay still. I am puttering around the house like crazy. Wish I could work from home too. Are you still doing a few hours a day? How do you feel after all of your running around yesterday? Is the cream helping yet? OK ok enough questions. :heehee: Enjoy your day!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom