Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

Thinking of you this morning....
Hoping any pain you're suffering is under control you're enjoying time with loved ones.
Let us know how you're doing once you're back home and settled in.
Sending hugs!
@Mireille
 
@Mireille just catching up on your thread and so sorry to hear about the infection. I hope your trip is a restful distraction while you await your next surgery. I saw today where PR suffered another full blackout - I feel so sorry for that community as they struggle to get back on their feet and recover from Maria.
 
Yep, just like hipster said....
You've got your tribe here wondering about you.
Hope your vacay was relaxing. Love and hugs to you!
@Mireille
 
Hi everyone, i hope you're all doing well! The getaway was just what I needed. We were without electricity for one day but it wasn't so bad. It was great spending time with my family and friends. I'm feeling much better, thank God. The pain is gone for the most part, it only bothers me as the day winds down and at night. I'm walking with my cane, no longer need the crutches. I'm getting ready for my surgery next Thursday since this time it will be through the posterior approach. I'm ready to get all this over with. Emotionally, I'm also feeling much better. I've come to terms with it. I'm getting my house in order, cleaning, organizing, etc.
 
Can anyone let me know if a tub transfer chair is useful. My bathroom has only a shower but it does have a small step into it and the door is narrow so a chair in there would not work. I'd have to use the main bathroom which has a tub. May have some difficulty getting in there since I will most definitely have the 90 degree restrictions. Any advice on what equipment I should get? I already ordered the grabber, sock and pant thing. I have a walker, crutches, cane. The hospital will provide the toilet riser. Also, my bed is a little high. Should I get a step stool? I just want to be ready. They tell me I will not have weight bearing restriction.
 
:wave: Mireille sounds ready to get this done.:happydance:
I just know you've got this.
Gosh the walk-in sounds easier to me.
Don't guess you can put a bar on the shower wall and step in and out backwards ..good leg first?
Just a thought.

Will be sending all the best mojo your way.:friends:
 

Backless Shower Chair
The is like a bench. It is what I have been using and fits in my shower. It was my MIL's and she used it in her tub/shower and adjusted the legs to accommodate the height difference from floor to tub bottom. She sat on it then scooched over the tub side by straightening her legs. Worked for her but she had a handheld shower in there and didn't pull a curtain or have doors.
I just use it in my shower and it isn't bulky. I have precautions too and used my walker sideways to get in shower. It has a curtain and a 4-5 inch threashold. All worked fine.

I'm so happy you are feeling well going into this new surgery. Wishing you all the best going forward to get you back on the road to recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Mireille
It's so great to hear you express the getaway was just what you needed. I'm happy you were able to relax and enjoy time with loved ones. Minimal pain is the icing on the cake as you await next Thursday.

It's wonderful you're feeling emotionally prepared. Please know we're here.
We'll be offering prayers, sending love, virtual hugs and support to the best of our ability.
I guess the last surgery was a false start but you are finally embarking on the beginning of the end. I have faith you'll get through this and all will feel right with the world! We'll be with you every step of the way.

I don't know much about a tub transfer chair. I'm sure someone who does will comment. It sounds like you're acquiring the essentials for recovery. The step stool makes me a tad nervous. Is your bed to high that you can't sit on it and use a leg lifter as assistance?
Wishing you a peaceful weekend. Love and hugs to you! :loveshwr: :console2:
 
@Mireille so happy to hear that you’re doing better and are ready for this next surgery. I had the small step up into a narrow shower and used the same bench @BeBe recommended once (I borrowed it from a friend) our shower had the grab bar and I found that within a few days I was fine just standing in there on my own. Sounds like your getaway was just what your soul needed. Out of curiosity, why the change in approach for this surgery? Is that just based on the doctor or because of the infection that set in before? You’ve got this! We’re here for you and you’ll be on the road to recovery before you know it.
 
@Layla Thanks so much. It's about butt height. :heehee: I could use a leg lifter, had not thought of that. I've been using my arms, lol. Just bought one, thanks!
 
@hipster333 Thanks! My understanding is that the posterior approach for chronic infection is the best approach to slow that thorough cleansing and removal of all components. At least this is my surgeon's reason and preference. I'm not overly thrilled about having another scar but oh well. The doctor told me today it would be around 5 to 6 inches and I will have staples. That will be a first for me. I'll probably be on the hospital about a week and then go home with a pic line for four antibiotics infusions. A nurse will visit one a week. Once the infection is gone and I'm cleared by the infectious diseases doctor and I'm ready for the permanent implant, they'll go through the same posterior incision.
 
@Mireille it sounds like the doctor is on top of things and has a good plan in place. What's one more scar when it means you'll have a pain free hip?:loveshwr: Don't worry about the staples. I was panicky about them taking them out and it really didn't hurt that much at all. You'll do great! I hope you are able to enjoy your weekend (don't be too ocd on the cleaning :heehee:)
 
@hipster333 OCD is in full on mode. We've been gardening and cleaning since I got back. :heehee: It's going to be av while before I can do the things and buy that time sooner will almost be over :gaah: It actually feels good to be productive and the garden makes me happy. :roseshwr:Hubby is a big help so I'm not overdoing it too much. Alas, life goes on and ways for no one...
 
Mireille, you have the best attitude. It's refreshing, admirable, inspirational.
You have a tribe of followers here who will be with you every step of the way.
We'll be sending love, virtual hugs, good cheer and offering up prayer.
I have a feeling you're going to do great! It's wonderful to read you're engaging and enjoying the day.
Hurry up Thursday....let's get this show on the road!
Hugs and love to you :loveshwr: :friends:
@Mireille
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom