Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

@Layla and @hipster333 Hope you're both having a good day! O spoke tothe PA today and it is a matter of availability. The OS os's doing my surgery on oneof his non surgery days in order to fit me in. I's just frustrating because I feel like my life had been on hold for the last 2 months. It's going to be August (best case) before this ordeal is over. My symptoms are suppressed by the antibiotic. The pain, thankfully, has lessened since he lowered the dosage of the Bactrim. Apparently Joint pain is a side effect and it hit me hard. I feel better physically, mentally it's taking a toll but I'll handle it. That's all I can do at this point. Thanks for being the for me! :flwrysmile:
 
Another side effect I had with Bactrim is increased sensitivity to the sun. I sunburned more easily and it was splotchy. My ex experienced the same thing with a sulfa medicine. You might want to use a good sunscreen if you're going to be outside even if you don't usually burn.
 
Thanks @Mireille. I'm glad things are progressing, albeit slowly. These infections are a real bummer. TBH, apart from the op itself it's the thing that worries me most about having the replacement but, as I said, I'm fit and well from my previous "episode" - it just takes time and patience isn't always my strong point. The only upside to mine was it was the last really good summer in the UK (2006), and I spent a lot of time in the back garden drinking tea with friends. I had three children at home at the time (teenagers plus), so never sat around doing such things. Funnily enough, when I was admitted into hospital with the original infection, there was a very kind Sikh doctor, and when I ranted about the unfairness of it all, he said maybe it was God's way of telling me to take a break. I did say that he could have let me win the lottery and I would have taken a break in the Caribbean, but in its own way it did make me slow down and reassess. I just wish it hadn't left me with this damaged hip though. So hang on in there, and I hope it's all soon over, but enjoy the chance to slow down in this mad, mad world. And let friends and family do what they can to help. It's when you find out how many people you've got around you who care. xx
 
I'm so sorry @Mireille You have every right to be frustrated because in reality your life has been on hold.
If it's any consolation, it's a blessing it was discovered now (early) as it's my understanding some of these infections don't manifest right away, or possibly if the pain you had wasn't as severe you may have ignored symptoms. Unpleasant as it is, try to look at it as one long dragged out recovery. I'm searching for something comforting to say and I am failing miserably. How about I just offer an abundance of love, hugs and promises to journey through with you offering support, encouragement and prayer.
May your day be peaceful. :prayer:
 
@Mireille May 5th will be here before you know it--at least the OS is fitting you in as soon as possible and the fact that it's a non-surgery day really says something. I'm glad the pain has lessened with the reduction in the Bactrim dosage. Are you able to work part-time from home at all? I know you are still having some rough days, but your attitude really is inspiring. Sending hugs and prayers.:friends:
 
@SaraK Thanks for letting me know. I haven't been out much but I'm leaving to spend a week with my family in PR so I'll definitely pack the sunscreen. :ok:

@Cassidy You're right but like you I'm not a very patient person and I get antsy. My mobility is still impaired so I'm limited on what I can do and it drives me crazy. I'm trying to be more relaxed and accept help. That's hard for me too. I'm usually the helper not the "helpee", :heehee: I will do my best to smell the roses.
 
@MammaT Thanks! I hope you're doing well! My attitude is a work in progress right now. I had my meltdown and now have taken up painting clay pots and learning to crochet to keep myself busy and stop thinking about "the hip" :fingersx::prayer:


@Bumblebee Thanks, I will go on that cruise someday soon :fingersx::egypdance: I'm feeling more upbeat as I'm going to take next week and spend it in PR with my family. A change of scenery and their company is the best medicine right now. :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Safe travels to PR @Mireille
I hope you're able to relax and enjoy time with loved ones.
Big hugs to you!
 
@Layla Thanks. You need not look any further for something comforting to say. You are always a great source of comfort and encouragement that I'm extremely grateful for. You are right, I'm thankful to God that this was discovered early and that I'm on the road to recovery, even if slowly. I'm naturally impatient so it makes it harder to cope. I'm working on that. If not, these are going to be some miserable, long months. Can't have that. :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
@hipster333 Hi, I hope things are going well and you've found groove with work. I'm on short term dusability but I still do a few work things from home. I'm not really supposed to but I know it's not easy for them and they're really good to me. I do what I can. I have good days and not so good days but I'm managing. I've also taken up clay pot painting and learning tí crochet with YouTube, lol. Trying to stay busy to keep my mind off things. :heehee:
 
I loved PR - is there anywhere in particular you're going there? The one thing I didn't like there, though was the roads! You go from a highway to a 2 lane road to a road that's barely 1 lane wide going up and down hills with sharp turns - not fun to drive! If you rent a car, we got one for a few days from Target (not affiliated with the stores). Car was good, good service and much cheaper than the name brands.
 
Enjoy that time with family-you serve something good @Mireille. Very good coming up with new hobbies. Since you’re just starting, they will be an even better distraction. Don’t know about clay pot painting, but crocheting can take a bit of concentration.
 
:hi: where is PR? Duh?
I feel like I am supposed to know:shrug:
:chinstroke:Potential Resilience
Perfectly Righteous
Puerto Rico
perhaps right?
Hope your weekend is sweet and you get a reprieve from all the stress over the "h" thing.:whistle:
 
I'm generally the impatient type too, @Mireille, but when you're forced to be non-weight bearing and in a wheelchair, things tend to have to slow down a bit. I won't say it wasn't frustrating - I have many amusing stories to tell of being carried off buses by two burly bus drivers when the ramp got stuck, and of my mother considering jumping out from behind a bush to even make the bus to stop in the first place - but it did go quite quickly and, in retrospect, I did catch up with a lot of friends and family that I hadn't had time for in the preceding months and years. And my tan improved considerably! So, yes, it's horrible, but like Pollyanna, it helps to try to find a silver lining if possible. Who knows, one of your new hobbies might turn out to be the future!
 
:loveshwr:that you're your to PR with family @Mireille. After everything you've been through you need sometime to just soak in the rays. :happydance:Also love that you're picking up some new hobbies! They're a great distraction and you're already doing what you can to move forward with your recovery. Have a great weekend and a wonderful time making new memories on your vacation!:friends:
 
@SaraK I grew up there, in a town called Hatillo. It's about 2 hours west of San Juan. My town is right on the Atlantic coast. I lived 5 minutes walking distance from the beach. Drivers are crazy there. I only rent a car (can't drive right now anyway) when it's my husband and I. He can drive in that craziness, lol. I'm just hanging out with my family and childhood friends.
 
Oh beautiful Puerto Rico.:giggle:
I so need to go Somewhere!
Maybe one day to Puerto Rico.
Hoping you have an easy trip and tell hubby to drive defensively and carefully!
:friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom