Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

Aww Mireille, so sorry you are going through this. Are you taking the max dose of pain meds you can and is icing ok? Can they prescribe something or take over the counter stuff for nausea?
 
Thinking of you @Mireille and sending positive energy your way! You had left me such an encouraging post on my recovery thread just a couple days ago, and I am just now reading all you are going through! You sure are a trooper! Stay strong!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip< [Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip< [Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip< [Bonesmart.org] Mireille's New Hip< @Josephine @Celle My OS has diagnosed me with infection. He aspirated 40 CC's of fluid from under the skin with guided ultrasound. He did not aspirate from the joint itself. I'm waiting for the culture results and already have my bloodwork results, images attached.

1. He put me on Bactrim (antibiotic)
2. Xray of prosthesis was good
3. Low grade fever the last 7 days - between 99.1 -100.1 at any given time
4. Pain scale - between 6-10 - out throbs constantly, regardless of medication. Worse when I move the joint in any direction.
5. Taking Oxycontin and Ibuprofen, Tylenol and Bactrim
6. Lost the mobility I had gained. Can barely walk due to pain
7. Weakness, fatigue, nausea
8. Fluctuating BP - today 143/98

He is hoping that it is just a skin infection. Wants to see how I feel a couple of days on the antibiotics before doing a synovial aspiration of the joint. Concerns about poking in there and creating a problem.

I want to have the joint aspirated and get a definitive answer. Can you please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. He has already made me an appointment with the revision surgeon, just in case. Thank you!
 
@hipster333 Hope you're having a good day! Yes, I posted a "book", lol, above and pics of some of the results. Do have an infection but don't know if it's in the joint or just under the skin. So confused right now.
 
@Mireille - Thank you for tagging me, but I'm going to leave this one for Josephine to answer, as I don't know a lot about hip replacements.
I hope the results from the aspiration come back negative.
 
@Mireille your poor hip and poor you! :cry:Does the OS know how long it will take the results from the culture to get back? At least he has you on the antibiotics so those should be helping soon. I think it generally takes about 48 hours to see the results from antibiotics. Hopefully Josephine will be able to shed more light on your results. Did your GP ever get back to you? Sending more hugs and prayers that you start feeling better and this is just a surface infection. :beg:
 
I hate it when we can view tests on line but don’t have anyone to explain them. From my internist review of my last labs, he wasn’t surprised a couple of numbers were off since I was just a month out from surgery and he is also very familiar with what is normal for me.

Hopefully the bactrum kicks in and does something. Wondering if this is related at all to your earlier rash.

Hope the pain eases off @Mireille. I’m sorry you are going through all of this.

Prayers,

Ginny
 
Hi @Mireille
So sorry for the physical and emotional pain you're suffering.
Prayers that this is an infection that can be treated without a revision.
Hoping Jo can shed some light on the labs and that you can rest comfortably tonight.
Hugs
 
@hipster333 He hopes to have the results tomorrow. The GP left me a message but I didn't call back. My BP had gone down, just sought elevated and OS said it's most likely from the pain and anxiety. I'm still seeing the GP next week. I just noticed a few minutes ago that the address around my incision is note shedding skin and right on the incision there's a pocket of liquid that looks like it's going to eventually burst. The skin over it is very thin. Weirdly enough, in my surgeons 13 years of experiemce of doing hips, I am only the 2nd patient to develop an infection. His first one was only 2 months ago? Coincidence?? Hospital??
 
@MammaT Thanks for the prayers. We can never get enough of those. It may be related to the rash, who knows. I have a hard time with uncertainty so this is driving me a little nutty. I want specific answers now :flabber:
 
@Layla Thanks! I do hope so. I feel like things are moving in slow motion. The waiting for testing, results, could be this or that drives me batty . :sigh:
 
Well, my incision just burst open at the bottom. Spoke with OS, going in tomorrow morning. :headbang::gaah::beg:
 
So sorry you're going through all of this! I hope things start looking up. Maybe the blister bursting is good and will help drain it.
 
@Mascaramom I panicked and started yelling for my husband. :bawl:I'm in the Tampa bay, FL area. It's 10 minutes to 11pm.
 
Back
Top Bottom