Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

@Layla @hipster333 My OS aspirated 40cc's of fluid from under the skin using guided ultrasound. Wow, that needle was huge. Definitely an infection. Now the waiting begins for the culture results. He hopes that it's a surface infection but is making me an appointment with a revision specialist in Sarasota, Fl, Dr. Edward Stolarski. I had blood work and results should be in with next couple of hours. I'm a mess right now.
 
@Mireille Not exactly the news you wanted to hear. Please let us know about the results. We are here for you! Plenty of our members have been through this journey and most are back living life again. Take care!
 
:console2:Take a deep breath, @Mireille . Your doctor has set up an appointment but that just gets you in the door a bit quicker if necessary. It hasn't been determined that it's necessary yet. Luckily they are rushing the results so you'll have more information today. While you are waiting, find something, anything to do that will occupy your mind. The time will go faster and you'll feel better to not be stressing the entire time. Hugs and prayers to you!
 
@Jaycey Thanks so much! The bright side is that now we know and can do something about it. I can't help stressing though.

@SaraK That's exactly what he said, he's making the appointment as a precaution because it's hard to get into the revision surgeon. He wants to move right away as there's always a possibility, rare, but still a chance that it could spread to my TKR if not handled quickly and properly. I've lost most of mobility in one day. Yesterday was rough, hit me all of a sudden. Couldn't even get in bed without excruciating pain. Keeping the faith!
 
Did they address the blood pressure? Have you checked in with your PCP about it? I was assuming yours was normally high but saw in another thread that yours was usually low normal. OS often don't take BP and the level you said yesterday is pretty high. Mine was high (but not that high) before my first THR because of a reaction of a new medication. My PCP put me on a BP med through the operation and then followed up afterwards to decide whether/what to do going forward. High BP can have some bad effects fairly quickly (and I'm sure the anxiety isn't helping) - please do follow up on that aspect as well!
 
@SaraK I have an appoontment with her next week. So I will address that with her. High bp is not normal for me at all. After surgery it usually goes way too low. Thanks :flwrysmile:
 
Please don't wait until then without calling her office to see if they want to get you in sooner or start meds in the interim. A week is a long time with that BP. Also, be prepared for BP meds to cause you to be tired. I took myself off the beta blocker before I went back to work (and let Dr know I was doing so) because it caused too much exhaustion (I figured out when I stopped taking it 2 weeks out that it was more a problem with energy drain than the surgery) and bad diarrhea (which did, at least, keep me from having the opioid constipation). I had a BP cuff and used it each day to make sure the BP hadn't gone up too much and had an appt with my new cardiologist a week later so it gave us a better baseline to look at.
 
Sorry for your news @Mireille. You definitely know you weren’t a hypochondriac to bring this to doc’s attention. Hopefully a surface thing, but at least you will soon know what you’re dealing with.

Do keep an eye on that blood pressure.

Prayers for you.
 
@Mireille no wonder you are stressed. I hope you didn't go in to work today. Praying it's just a surface infection. :prayer:Please talk to someone about your BP--that's the last problem you need on top of everything. Is hubby able to take some time off to help since you're in so much pain? Did the OS give you anything for the pain? Keep us posted. :console2:
 
Mireille, I'm so sorry! Let's pray for the best possible outcome in regard to the results
you'll soon receive. Naturally you're going to stress but try to relax knowing you're being pro-active and that there is a solution no matter what the results show. We're here to support you and lift you in prayer.
Prayers for comfort, peace of mind and healing.
Sending love and hugs!
@Mireille
 
@hipster333 I did go to work Friday fur 2 hours and now I'm out again on STD until who knows when. I'm back on oxycontin and laying in bed. Had to curve myself to eat. The pain right now is terrible. I've been taking my blood pressure at home and it's down today to 138/90. I have a call into my GP. I'm trying to keep it together but I'm allowing today to wallow in self pity. Can't stop crying. I'm rational and know that it can always be worse but I need to get these feelings or of my system. I've been getting phone calls from family all day and frankly I'm tired of repeating everything over and over again. I know they are concern and I'm cranky. :groan:

Thanks for all the bonesmarties support and prayers, they are sincerely appreciated. I'll keep you posted. :roseshwr:
 
@Mireille it's ok to cry! You're in pain and you're stressed. it'll be much easier once you get the results back and can deal with things one way or another. You've got the added stress of having to deal with everyone else's concerns over you. :console2: I'm glad to hear you're back on STD and have one less thing to worry about. --also that your BP is coming down. it's still good that you left a msg with your GP. We're here if you need us. Hugs and prayers.
 
I'm so so sorry you are having to deal with this.
My heart hurts for you.
But you are gonna get this dealt with.
Hope you have some company...
Please know I'm praying all is resolved soon.
 
{{{{{ @Mireille }}}}}

Just catching up on threads and find you in a world of hurt!
Cry it out and then get all the docs you have on this!! I might call your
primary's office and give them the opportunity to bump up your appointment.
Have they put you on an antibiotic? Or waiting on blood work for that?
I'm praying for you and hope you get answers soon.
 
We are all thinking of you and may that energy embrace you and help you through this difficult time. I personally don't know you but have been thinking of you all day!! We are the Bonesmart family...and when one of us is hurting we all hurt.:console2: (((hugs)))
 
@BeBe Thanks for the prayers! They are appreciated. Pending results he put me on Bactrim (antibiotic) 5 a day x 10 days and Oxycontin for pain as needed. I have a call into GP and hopefully willl see her this week.
 
@Bumblebee Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. You are so sweet! I feel the same way. I'm so grateful for my bonesmart family and the support we give one another. Have a great evening! :friends::roseshwr:
 
@Josephine Good afternnon! Rough night last night. Pain was so bad, I could barely walk at all. I'm just feeling so tired, nauseated and weak. I just saw my blood work results online, can't decipher them.

Sed rate 29/mm/hr, high
Crp is 8.70, high.
WBC 10.9, Normal but borderline high
HGB 11.9, low
HCT 36.1, low
Lymph 18.7, low
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom