TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yorkimom I have been doing mini squats with no problem. But with this one your feet are out in front of you and it just put way too much pressure on both knees. The opposite of having knees too far forward and hurt just as much. Liz called them wall squats.
 
It sounds like you did the right thing and listened to your knees on the wall squats. :thumb:
 
@Minnie's knees, yes what I did when working with the trainer is wall squats. We use one of those big balls and slide down the wall. Having the right form is very important or you can hurt yourself. My trainer is always careful with me when I did them. You are wise not to do them if they hurt you. No exercise should ever hurt you.
 
@Minnie's knees, how are your knees today Kathy?? Yesterday I was telling Christine about you hurting your knees doing the wall squats. She said she normally doesn't have her patients do wall squats. She said she has us do the Total Gym instead since it does about the same thing but with less stress on the joints. I know that you mentioned before you do the Total Gym so that should be enough.
 
@Yorkimom my knees were okay when I woke up but then I went shopping,had lunch with my daughter and then came home and wrapped everything we bought. I was very tired and took an hour nap before dinner.


7week update:
Tomorrow I am back to the RA for more labs to re-check LFT's. My OS prescribed tramadol and I am using about 3-5 a week of the prescribed 21(3x day) so hopefully my liver is handling the meds okay. It has not been easy without the prescribed pain meds but I am managing because I have to.

It seems to get a little easier each week. My ROM was 88 yesterday which is much better than the 80 it had been stuck at. 88 is not great at 7 weeks but it is improving and my OS is ok with it for now so I will try to be patient and keep doing my exercises. I am also still in PT 3x week which keeps me on track.

Each week my knee is getting a little better. Sometimes I can't see it or feel it but then I notice something like today the skin on my knee feels more "normal" instead of hard and plastic like. Little things..lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kathy, you amaze me with what you are doing on virtually no meds. I hope your LFT test comes back with good numbers tomorrow. I know how worrying that can be. Stupid livers!!! I guess we sorta need them though. I actually look forward, most of the time to going to PT. It's a good excuse to get out and see other faces. Not that there is anything wrong with Kent's face but..........

Yes, the little things do matter and add up over time. I remember first noticing how stuck the skin was on my first knee. I knew it was swollen but I didn't think it was swollen enough to cause the skin to be so rigid but eventually it all softened up. Now the right one is that way. That's the only good thing about doing 2 at different times. You know a lot more about what is happening. Good luck tomorrow! Let us know what you find out at the RA doc.

(((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 We all have our crosses to bear. Mine is liver function and therefore limited pain meds. (I agree stupid liver but we need our livers to live). I am managing some days better than others but I also know it is affecting my progress to some degree. I have more swelling now than I did in the first 4 weeks and my knee is tight and stiff. But I am making progress even though it is slower than I would like.

You have had the horrible swelling and extreme pain with this knee but have a good ROM compared to mine. It just proves again that all knees are different. I also like going to PT and that is because we have great therapists that we like. Glad you got a good report today too! (((hugs)))
 
@Minnie's knees Good luck with your labs tomorrow, I hope it all comes back normal. I have what they call Gilbert's Syndrome, my body doesn't get rid of it's bilirubins right. Out of all the liver diseases to have this is the best one. I doesn't really do any damage, and I am less likely to have a heart attack!

That is an 8 degree increase in flex! That is good! Almost everyone has a stall on ROM at one time or another, often multiple stalls but you will get there! I think with knee 1 hubby noticed a big difference around week 8, with knee 2 it was later. Knee 2 had better ROM, but it gave him more pain. Every knee is different.
 
Good morning! 8 degrees is awesome! In the last 6 weeks I've only gained 5 degrees. ARGH! But I'm getting stronger! I love PT. I'm going in an hour.

I love reading your thread. You do so much more than I did at your time out. Impressive. Take care. -- Joni
 
@tiredwife I won't get lab results until Monday as the office is only open 1/2 day on Friday. I have a fatty liver. I don't drink hardly at all. Maybe 2-3 drinks a year (I am always designated driver lol). But my liver does not like the pain meds and nsaids.

@Djbrund I don't think I am doing that much for being 7weeks. If my ROM was around 100° I would be going back to work next week. My short term disability extended my time off mostly based on my lower ROM. I will be happy when I am over 100°. I am going back to work on 1-6-15 as I am almost out of FMLA at that point.
 
@tiredwife Hi, thanks for checking on me. LFT's came back today and are down to 126 with taking up to 5 Tramadol a week. Dr is happy with this even though they are still higher than normal.

I joined planet fitness gym on Friday. I am able to do the bike rocking back and forth and the step ups. It's in the same parking lot as my PT and only $10 month with no contract. It's been maybe 15 years since I have been to a gym so it feels weird. I have to keep working on ROM! I have 3 weeks before I go back to work. I want to be able to pedal the bike completely around and walk up my stairs at home normally and I need another 10° or so to do these things and then keep it going. I just have to stay motivated.
 
@tiredwife I will be careful. I really don't want to set myself back. My OS recommended it, I talked to my therapist and she thinks it will be okay. I am doing 20- 30 minutes on the bike and 5-10 minutes on step ups depending on how it feels.

I can do the aerobic step at PT but my stairs at home are about 2" taller and I can't quite do it normally. It's 2 small things to most people but I will be 8 weeks on Wednesday and I am ready to be pedalling slowly and walking up my stairs. I know it will take awhile to go down the stairs normally.
 
@Minnie's knees Glad you are going to be careful. I remember at PT they had those stairs that are shorter than regular steps. Hope it all does what you want it to.
 
@Minnie's knees, way to go Kathy!!!!! That is great that you joined the gym. Just make sure you take it easy. I'll bet you will pedal backwards any day now and that is such a big milestone. I think you are doing exceptionally well at eight weeks. I know your flexion isn't where you want to to be, but you will get there. It just takes some of us longer than others. I know....you and I will have a party when we hit our flexion goal!!!!!
 
@Yorkimom thanks, we will definitely have a party when we hit our flexion goals. I know you understand as you have been through this. It is especially frustrating when friends and family comment on what we can't do rather than our accomplishments. We will get there!
 
@Minnie's knees, ah sorry your family is doing that. Try not to listen to them and just look at all the things that you are doing compared to just a few weeks ago. We will get there!!!!!
 
@Yorkimom at least it's not my immediate family. It's extended family who think they know it all and they usually don't. Lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom