TKR Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

:welome:@Milosnanna! I am so glad you found this forum! Everybody will be supportive, encouraging, informative, and humorous. We have all gone through the same thing, and we all have different experiences, but we still have many things in common. What you need to know, most of all, is that you are not alone.

I also had a lot of sleep problems. I am eight weeks out, and only last week began to sleep more than one hour at a time. It was awful. I think part of it was that I am a stomach sleeper, and I could only sleep on my back. Sometimes I tried on my side/hip, but I couldn't do that for more than about 15 minutes. I am sleeping better now, although not as much as I would like. Time takes care of a lot of issues. I know it is hard to be patient, but so many people told me better sleep would come in time, and they were right!

I agree with many others that it sounds like you are doing far, far too much. Your poor knee has been traumatized, and you need to give it time to rest and heal. I would suggest reading all of the articles that have been posted for you. They were a source of great information and comfort to me when I first found the forum.

Also, please make sure you get enough protein. As a vegetarian, especially if you don't have much of an appetite after surgery, I think it might be difficult. Protein is important to help us heal. In addition, as was suggested by @Jajakio, please make sure that any herbal supplements you take do not interact negatively with any of your medications. And speaking of medications, I hope you are not suffering through any pain. Even if you do not like to take medication (and I don't either), I do not feel that this is the time to tough it out. Be kind to yourself, and treat your pain. If your doctor will not give you adequate medication, then perhaps you should find another one who will. Knee replacement is a very serious surgery, and should be treated as such by the doctors.

I wish you all good thoughts during your recovery. Come back and post any questions, comments, worries, etc.

By the way, I love, love, love Wales!:loveshwr:
 
Update on infection - looks like 3 1/2 days of antibiotic and it is clearing not red and angry anymore, just enjoyed a full 90 minute nap, deep sleep too according to my sleep ap, why is it I can have a deep sleep in the day and none at night, strange, wasn't painful when I went for lay down but as soon as I go to bed at night - pain, I think I will leave off the ice tonight, found it doe times annoys the nerves and takes longer to settle. Hope everyone is doing okay. worried about daughter in florida with huge hurricane coming - be safe everyone xxxx
 
I hope your daughter is taking precautions in Florida and stays safe! I'm glad you were able to get a nice nap. I know what you mean about nighttime. I am usually awake every night from 2:30-4:30 Doesn't make sense but that's my reality so I am dealing with it.
I am going to try out your sleep app. Looks interesting!
 
@Canada35 sleep ap is brilliant and it is free make sure when you download it that you turn the alarm off no need of it. Also I just fully charged my phone before bed and didn't need to leave it plugged in just sound off and turned face down, it used about 40% of battery over 9 hours. Thank you for your concern for my daughter she is in Tennessee at the moment supposedly getting to Orlando on 14th so it will depend which way it a turns I just hope she heeds the warnings. Xxx
 
@Pheebs52 I noted in another thread about walker handles I too had the same problem but hubby got some cheap foam I think it's like insulation for plumbers and it is the righ circumference cut some off and gaffs taped to handl
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 215
Brilliant idea @Milosnanna! Do you still need the walker or are you now using a cane or crutches? One of my happiest recovery days was when I became walker-free!
 
The whole lack of sleep scenario at night is befuddling, isn't it? No one seems to have a definitive answer as to why this occurs, but I strongly suspect discomfort, ranging from pain, to stiffness or just a weird sort of "restless leg." For me, the nighttime Rx pain meds were the last to go.

Oh dear, where in FL is your daughter and has she made plans to evacuate or fly home?
 
FWIW, I just started a thread in the Social Room to discuss Irma. It's such a big story, it's really hard to avoid discussing it, but that's where it belongs, ya know?
 
@Pheebs52 haven't used the walker for about 3 days, unexpectedly just started walking, bought a cane and I use that for my exercises in the morning usually walk back and for the kitchen to lounge approx 70 steps x 10 I take my walker to bedroom for middle of the night but found I didn't need it then either. My leg is not straight if I lay it down on flat surface but I guess that will come. As far as sleep is concerned going to try daughters bed tonight it's upstairs (ours is downstairs off the kitchen) but she has a memory foam mattress and it may help, fingers crossed -- not going to tell her though, she's away for another 3 1/2 weeks she is in Tennessee at the moment xo fused as to whether to go straight down to Orlando and stay there, at Marriott harbour Lake where she is booked in to from next Thursday but if she goes not she can prepare with food etc other than get caught on the way down or not be able to find somewhere to stay on the way down, they are going to New Orleans for 2 nights then supposed to go to panhandle but will probably not now and go straight to the Marriott. We have been in a hurricane - well 3 actually Francis, Charlie and Ivan so she is well aware of what to do. Thank you for your concern both about myself and my daughter, yours was one of the first recoveryx I ever read and got me hooked, I could picture everything your old recliner, baby furs etc I was with you, you inspired me to red more and more and it has helped me a great deal thought the dark days. My infection is good now just looks worst than it is, you are right about the pain at night waking us I think you are a little passed that now though hopefully you are.
Huge hugs and thanks from Wales xxxxx
 
Great news about the walker @Milosnanna!:yahoo: Bye-bye walker, hello freedom!

Bad news if your daughter heads to Orlando; people are fleeing the state in droves! She won't be able to drive in anyway because the roads are most likely all one way now and that way is *North.* This is quite possibly a life threatening situation, even for the interior of the state! :shocked: Seriously, tell her to stay in TN! Even if she's seen a few hurricanes, this one is different!:yikes:

I'm so glad I helped to get you addicted to Bonesmart, lol. Frankly, I don't know what I would've done without the 24/7 support of everyone here. I'm sure I'd be in some sort of asylum, lol. Fortunately, I am very much past the awful, sleepless nights, but...I remember them well; ugh! I am now blessed with 7-8 solid hours of deep zzz's in a bed, not a battered, old recliner. Bliss! I think you'll find the memory foam bed very helpful. We have one in the guest room, and when I switched to bed sleeping, that's where I stayed for several weeks. It really did make a difference, so I hope it will for you as well. :sleep:
 
As for the increased pain at night that seems to get all of us, I did some reasearch, and please do not take this to be absolute, but it seems that part of the problem has to do with the fact that as our bodies ready for sleep they stop/slow down production of certain chemicals (i.e. endorphins and such, as I don't remember exactly what was said) so that we can sleep. Unfortunately, because of this there are less chemicals in our bodies to inhibit the pain. So double edged sword I suppose.
 
Wow that's interesting about the endorphins, kind of makes sense as everything slows down. My sleep app gives a summary when you have used for 5 days so that will b interesting to see apparently my sleep quality was 82% last night, I found a "happy place".
@Pheebs52 every tried to tell a 27 yr old what to do...... She has now booked another week but is going to Marriott cypress harbour a cross the road from where she will be staying from 14th, but she booked it to arrive just before it a??????????? After lots of discussions last night she wrote to me this morning and said okay I will get down there Saturday instead of Sunday and stay at a best western for 1 night - go figure!!!!!!!!!!
Just hope she is safe.
Loved reading about your bath and doggy carrying I have lifted milo he seems to know better than me that I am getting there and asks to sit on my lap he is such a sweetheart and has been so patient he weight 10 kilos I couldn't lift him from the floor but when laying down I can reach over and lift him.
Supposed to go to a wedding today still not sure hubby is best man it's his brother,s second marriage bout a dress before op but you can fit two people in it now so will just go with an ordinary dress from wardrobe if I do go, he has borrowed a wheelchair for me as I don't think I could sit on hard benches for 40 minutes I'm too fidgety , we will se I'm leaving it until last minute, I won't go to reception just the church if I do go complete with ice, chair and walking stick.
 
The wheelchair is the way to go. I hope it will allow you to elevate your legs a bit (help keep the swelling down, and thus the pain) for your comfort. You are wise to pack ice.

I hope your daughter stays away from FL, though it sounds like she doesn't intend to. Hotels/motels fill up with people fleeing the coastlines. She might not find it easy to get a room. Crossing my fingers for her.
 
Thank you Sussieshoes - I did manage the wedding unfortunately it was absolutely pouring with rain so all photos were taken inside the church, the bride was lovely, hubby looked good too as best man, my sister, other daughter and son in law were with me and made sure I iced and elevated, managed fine and was quite pleased with myself. Now it's just me and milo for the evening, all gone to reception, couldn't manage that too scared in case I knocked my knee or fell with do many people, a good day in all, took paracetamol before going. Infection looked as though it was clearing up but now a big red patch leading down to main scar, oh well docs again tomorrow. Unfortunately there is no telling daughter yo stay away she is booked into timeshare there and just booked another week it's a Marriott so I am hoping she will get there safe and stay safe. I feel so sorry for all the poor people suffering because of these hurricanes my heart and prayers go out to them.
Well done on that jog, can't wait to join you, you are amazing.
 
I'm glad you made the wedding, and you were wise to skip the reception. Those go a long time and, yes, there's a bit more risk of incidental encounters. Your knee needs rest, and more rest, so home is a good place for the both of you right now (and Milo appreciates it, I'm sure). Here in the States, we say rain on a wedding day means good luck. :)

Jogging was interesting, but I'll stick to walking! When your knee is ready to try new tricks, it'll let you know. :wink:
 
Let us know what the doctor says tomorrow.
 
Will do sistersinhim - I was telling pherbs52 earlier hers and your threads were the very first I followed, was thinking of you today at the wedding remembering when you first went back to church and how you would put your leg up there, you are such an inspiration thank you xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom