TKR Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

Sleep stil sporadic but I guess I just be getting quite a bit - trying not to nap in the day. I find that I now feel well yes maybe I was right to have this done, instead of I wish I could turn the clock back and not have this done. I hate the tight feeli like my leg is in a brace anyone know how long that may take to go I hope it's not a permanent thing my leg feels as though I have an iron brace around it.
I found the heat patches really good for my back and it is 80% better, I've even done some ironing.
I have also found that getting dressed - which I hadn't only to go to so appointments makes me feel more like me.
Went to a friends yesterday i didn't drive hubby did but we stayed at least an hour and it was so nice to talk about something other than my knee, although my friend is from the us her mother still lives in Florida, her mother had her knee done last year and was driving after 2 weeks but apparently they did not cut any muscle or nerves which made for a really quick recovery, also it was her left leg so as its my right I guess it took longer to have the confidence to drive. I hope everyone is doing okay xxx

Walked the dog to the end of the street - only about 200 yards but he is a puller couldn't do any more hubby took over I walked downhill a bit but got a bit sore so came back home, every little helps.
I can now see improvements every day.
Drove down a quiet road to my sisters this morning too.

that's great Milosnanna you tried out walking your dog. we sent ours for boarding/training before my knee replacement so i wouldn't get dragged and i'm able to have him walk by my side now. be very careful going downhill though ~ there is a hill we can't avoid walking the dog or just walking ourselves that i'm wary of, especially when winter comes and it turns to ice. i am so happy for you that you are noticing improvements every day. :thumb:

@liam2015 I should have done that - sent him to training boarding school but he Is very very needy don't like the thought of someone else with him he is do adorable I know the problem lies with me oh well ...
Took my sister out in the car I am definitely visiting the Odic tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our dog is big and very rambunctious, we had to do something before my knee replacement so I could control him outside. He still grabs things he shouldn't and counter surfs even with training lol. We at least have kept up the basics, most important control of him when walking as before the training, he pulled me almost onto the road ~ only a tree branch saved me lol. Having said that, he's the friendliest, gentlest dog and loves everyone who stops to pet him. I had wanted a smaller dog at our age, but hubby loves this breed. Careful of your knee walking your sweet milo ~ little ones can be very strong too. He is adorable!:puppysmooze:

Just got caught up with your thread @Milosnanna and it looks like you're progressing in leaps and bounds! Whoohoo! This is all such great news....well, other than ironing, lol!

I only recently started walking my lazy boy, Nemo because he heels and always walks at my pace. My little Pheebs, at 13 years old is still a whippersnapper and a devil on a leash. She only weighs 12 pounds, but she can and ha dragged me down the street before; no thanks! So, she is hubby's dog to walk and Mellow Man is mine. [emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Pheebs52 I can actually see me going to Boston sometime now, I feel a progression every day, still painful but I took a sleeping pill last night (an old one of my late mums) and even though it was 3 yrs old in desperation for some sleep I took it it was a nitrazepan and WOW I slept from 11.30 to 9.30 no pain killers just beautiful sleep not had a sleep like that for months. I also found I was better today, the pain is not too bad.
Took milo to vet to gave his nails cut hubby came too as he's 10 kilos so can't lift him, all in all another good day, hope yours is going well xxxxx

Just thought I would add, if it was not for this site I would be in a panic now, with the pain and swelling still very much there, I was under the impression from the start it would be 6 weeks to recovery, but then I found this site which helped me through my darkest days, all the wonderful, honest and courageous people on here that gave me the truth about 12 month full recovery, it should be told to everyone and the lucky ones that recover quicker - well that's a bonus. I now expect small changes and if I have a good day I relish it, I can now look onward to little changes every day and yes some set backs as most of you lovely people on here have said but all in all I am almost glad I had this done.

Hard to tell what's too much and what's too little - pain is the same whatever I do?

Aha, so that's the phase you're in! I'm familiar, and can say it lasted a while for me, perhaps the first 10-12 weeks. Granted, this was just my experience and hopefully will not be yours....:fingersx:

I seem to recall several others here who did experience the same and it's frustrating, isn't it? I chose to keep doing things, but in a very cautious, moderate way. Finding balance is tricky. We can't find it if we don't try new things, but sometimes they come back to bite us. I think we all reach a point where we want to "push the envelope, " but that's a dangerous curve in the Recovery Road, so try to resist pushing....anything! Your knee will thank you if you choose a slightly, sluggish path. Moderation rules.

It's not easy to take it easy @Milsonanna, but it's the route to success further on down the path.

Havent posted for awhile but thought I would update - I am sleeping better getting at least 6 hrs sleep which is about the same as before tkr, also felt a diference 12 wseeks post tkr had a gret day, but the following day felt doiwn as pain was back wsorse than before still icing but managing to drive which is great as leg seems to like that positioning its just the sitting and bending and sometime too much walking it doernt like. I have actualy booked a holiday and am really really scared as I dont know what I am going to be like its in Spain so it should be warmer than here and its for my birthday end of October, from local airport too, hubby says I may as well be there as here can rest as much probably more there than here so hopefully I will be okay and not have to cancel. I hope everyone is doing okay although I havent been on here I often talk about the various people to hubby and about how much this site helped me and is still helping me - thank you all xxx
Oh another thing all of a sudden nails started growing I guess my strength is coming back and showing me in different ways, hence all the spelling mistakes lol .

I think a vacation sounds just great ! You will love being somewhere warmer, and your DH is right--you can rest there if need be.

A little pain for beautiful warm Spain. I would take it any day! Have a great vacation!

I think a vacation sounds great, too.
Here are a few tips about flying:
Flying soon after surgery

From my own experience, arrive early at the airports, because security screening usually takes longer with an artificial knee. Use the X-Ray machine (like a shower stall) if they have one, but expect to be wanded and patted down anyway.

Oooh, a trip to warm and sunny Spain sounds like just the ticket @Milosnanna! Your hubby is a wise man!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Been using a tens machine last couple of days and am more confident about our trip, it doesn't seem to work, my o oh worry is climbing up airplane steps as its our local airport we have to walk to plane it's only a 2 hr flight but should I wear stockings still worried it's too early to fly read Calle,s advice will definitely get up and stretch, walk as much as I can we managed to get seats with extra leg room so that should be okay, I do love this tabs machine wondering if anyone else has used one I bought it last year for daughters back but she went away for 5 weeks after my op so only recently though of it it really does seem to help

Back from Spain it was beautiful knee was okay but had tummy bug second day laid up for 36 hrs then back went I had taken my tens machine so used until it broke weather was lovely 25 deg which my knee liked very much since I got home I have had a cold and the knee certainly feels the cold was wondering how people manage from very cold countries

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom