TKR Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

If I recall properly (?) between 3-6 weeks is probably the most frustrating stage of recovery. Mentally and emotionally we all want to do more and *get our lives back* but, the body and the knee are just not ready. They have other plans. Plans we don't especially enjoy like elevating and icing, a lot! I admit I enjoyed the napping part though, lol.

Now is the time to really begin to * listen* to your knee. You can start to determine just how much you can do and still avoid a nasty payback. Of course, it's all trial and error. The pain is a moving target and different every day. Sometimes it's just a dull ache, sometimes a very sharp zinger and sometimes the incision drives us mad. Sometimes it's the whole leg, sometimes just the kneecap. Some of our symptoms probably have a direct relationship to what we've done, but...not always. I think Mother Nature does this to keep us on our toes!:wink:

The good news is you're very close to the point in time where many of us seem to turn a recovery corner. Not that we feel *normal* at around 6 weeks, but many here, self-included, began to have a little less pain/swelling/discomfort, a bit more sleep, and a smidgen more energy. Once in this stage, the tricky part is actually learning when to put the brakes on. We feel a bit better, so are inclined to do a bit more and that often results in a return to swelling; pffft! Balance is elusive, like sleep! As such, I'm sending you a brand new, shiny red box of Patience to be kept under your bed. It will be delivered by Pixie Express, and they arrive in the blink of an eye. :SUNsmile: Keep it close to your headboard so you can just reach down and give it a rub when you need a dose. If you are still sleeping in the recliner, you may place it on an end table.

Hang in there, it really does improve!:friends:
 
Thank you pheebs52 I love myshinyred box and will treasure it and try to use it as much as I need which will probably be a lot, you inspire me, encourage me and uplift me, I'm crying xxxxxthank you xxx
 
I'm right with you in recovery and totally understand how you feel. I agree with everything @Pheebs52 said about feeling like you can do more and then paying for it with aches, pain and swelling. I told my DH the other night I felt like I had a 30" long toothache, because my whole leg ached like a tooth. He just looked at me funny, but I'm sure my Bonesmart friends will understand. I hope you use some of that patience and have a good week.
 
Yup, that ‘tooth ache’ feeling is just a big part of it. Just keep icing and elevate your knee. About 6 weeks into this you’ll feel much better. I turned the corner about that time. Now, it’s all about my PT and getting that knee to bend and extend.

You’ll make it! Just don’t give up and take care of yourself and listen to your knee! When it barks at ya’ REST it!

We’re all here for you and your recovery!:loveshwr:
 
Yes, I understand that toothache feeling. I used to tell everyone that my bone on bone pain before my knee replacements was like a giant toothache. It's a really big and deep ache.
 
Another bad night is there such a place as udic I think I found it last night the under do it club I tried to rest more yesterday hoping for a good night or at least a few hrs sleep - didn't work - hardly sleeps - probably a few minutes at a time in the end I grabbed my pillo and put it under my k eye from my thigh down had a little bit of relief all the while worrying in case i was doing wrong so tired today, I dread bed at night even my shiny new red box is exhausted through being called on last night can't get a lounge doctor in this country and do hard to know which type would be the same any advice would be appreciated hubby offered to try s d make one for me but would prefer to buy one not sure if I am doing enough exercises I walk every hour do some leg presses and some heel slides still so swollen and nearly 6 weeks post op
 
I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I personally do not believe there is such thing as under doing it especially where you are time-wise in terms of your recovery.. I just stacked pillows to elevate my leg I do believe there are pictures of that or how to do that somewhere around here. It was my experience that I was uncomfortable trying to sleep for quite some time and it didn't matter if I felt tired or not. In my opinion trying to do more in order to get more sleep at night is actually going to have the opposite effect. What will likely happen at least it did for me is that doing more creates more discomfort in the knee and leg which means less sleep at night. Even now I struggle with sleep if I do too much during the day. I know it's hard to be patient but that's what you have us for! I'm not sure that anyone has not had the same difficulties and even if they hadn't we all seem to understand.
 
Just try to remember the bonesmart mantra of ice Elevate and rest for now. You might be surprised at how far that gets you.
 
@Milosnanna, what a drag the lack of sleep can be, eh? Sorry to hear you had such a crummy night! Just curious; How often are you icing and elevating and for how long? You can use 2-3 firm bed pillows to get the same height elevation as a Lounge Doctor. There are photos here in the library on how to stack them properly.

At just 6 weeks, you should still be spending a great deal of your time just *icing and elevating.* Boring, tedious and frustrating, I know, but, that's what works. I'm with @Fire wolf in that you really can't *under-do* things right now. Just make sure you get up and walk around a bit every hour or so. Walk for 5-10 minutes, then go back to the recliner. I know, it's not what you want to do, but it's what works. You could try an outdoor walk of about 10-20 minutes if you feel up to it, and then return to icing and elevating. Just try to accept that this is your world for a bit longer and things will begin to improve soon; honest, they will!
 
@Milosnanna - I am approaching 16 weeks and I still am having restless, sleepless nights on occasion. It is what it is and that is a part of the recovery process. The only real chance we have is to accept and move on. Hopefully I will catch a nap today ( and hopefully you will too) Sleep anytime and anywhere helps us to remain positive.
If you can't sleep at night, try doing something else for a while. Walk a bit, read, watch tv, check on the internet for new recipes to try, vent on this forum..... anything besides lay there and stare at the ceiling.
I promise things will get better! They won't be perfect for quite some time. Recovery from this major trauma can take up to a year. But it will get better very soon. Good luck on your journey and we are here for you!
 
hi Milosnanna...can your hubby try to get some kind of foam wedge that you could adjust for elevating your knee? i don't know where you would buy them in wales, but perhaps at a fitness store or a "home health store"? yes, the pillows would work too if you could hold them together as shown in the articles with big safety pins. i hope you can get some good sleep soon. it really is a frustrating recovery!:console2:
 
Hubby made an elevation of pillows for me and it feels so much better now all I have to do is find some large pins thank you all for being there. My daughter mentioned tonight hat my leg didn't look right it looked different to yesterday more swollen and swollen in different places maybe it's the lack of sleep and bouncing all night to try and get comfortable, also getting thigh pain now but I think a few people on here have said that's normal, hope so hope you are all doing better today
 
I agree with @liam2015 I don't have a Lounge Doctor ( although I wish I did) I use a foam wedge that I bought at Bath & Body Works and then I add a pillow to give me a slight bend. Anything that gives your leg elevation without having to keep them stick straight ( because straight is not comfortable and probably not good) as shown in the Bonesmart instructions. Toes above nose. Good luck!
 
oh yes, the thigh pain. i get that too. i notice my thighs have become quite weak and i need to strengthen them, but gradually as i've already hurt myself once with a balancing exercise, taking 2 weeks for the pain to subside from the outer side of my leg/knee. i sometimes put a heat bag on my thigh but not too close to my knee. it only aches when i'm in bed or relaxing with my leg on ottoman. glad you made a good elevation device ~ hope it helps you to get comfy in bed and sleep better. i still have swelling also. i've heard it can last quite a long time.
 
I grabbed my pillo and put it under my k eye from my thigh down had a little bit of relief all the while worrying in case i was doing wrong
can't get a lounge doctor in this country and do hard to know which type would be the same any advice would be appreciated
Hubby made an elevation of pillows for me and it feels so much better now all I have to do is find some large pins thank you all for being there.
@Milosnanna
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time at night. I hope things improve soon.
You don't have to look for a lounge doctor, or any sort of foam wedge. It's just that several people here are promoting its use, as they like it so much.

Did you read this article about how to elevate? Elevation: the do's and dont's
In that article are two suggestions about how to stack your pillows, and I think you've seen them, because you said you're looking for big pins. Nappy pins will do, if they are still sold, or else kilt pins work well, too.
Here are the pillow-stacking photos, for handy reference:
[Bonesmart.org] Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

[Bonesmart.org] Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

Two other things about pain at night:
First, check your daytime activity, to make sure you're not doing too much. You've been resting a lot, but check what you've been doing against this article: Activity progression for TKRs
Are you doing any exercises? Maybe you could drop those for a while, until you feel more comfortable.

Second, are you taking sufficient pain medication at night? Often, you need more medication at night, even if you don't need as much during the day.
 
Afraid to write in case I jinx myself still not sleeping but today I tried different shoes and leg feels a lot straighter, can't wait to get better for my baby milo he is sitting on my lap needing his walkies and his mum has left for the us today for 4 weeks, boy is he going to miss her, hopefully I will be walking him by the time she gets back he is such an understanding darling
I think something went wrong with my posting an image oops [Bonesmart.org] Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<
Perhaps not
 
Were your previous shoes an older, favorite pair that you'd worn a lot before you had surgery? If so, maybe they had a wear pattern from your pre-surgical gait that no longer suits you new, improved gait. If the pair that works better is a newer pair (that doesn't have the old wear pattern) that could explain it. Hooray for Milo serving as your inspiration for taking those walks!
 
@SusieShoes. Yes they are a new pair I had only worn maybe twice so I hope it as t a fluke today we will see tomorrow.
 
Aw, Milo is just adorable! If he behaves well on a leash, I'd think you could take him for a very short walk? Maybe just up and down your street for 5-10 minutes? Of course, if he isn't trained to heel, that's a whole different story!
 
He's trained to an extent will sit on command but not if out in the big world of dogs and pussy cats and people unfortunately he was a picky eater so we fed him by hand now whenever someone comes near him he wants to nibble - not bite - their hands bit scary for children we have a no pull harness but he still pulls and boy is he strong.
Had an okay night last night hubby went to daughters room as she is away so that he could make a pillow wedge for me on one side of the bed, I used it probably three times but they do fall off so today I am expecting my lounge doctor (British equivalent) can't wait, found that when I eventually stopped bouncing here and there if I put a pillow lengthwise down from hip to toe I actually slept for an hour on my back found that out a bit lat 8.00 am at least I had an hour. On a pain level it is more painful at night as I suspect it is with everyone I cried before bed last night because I as afraid again I really have this love hate relationship with the night can't wait for it to come because it's another day over but when in bed the bouncing begins, I did sleep from 11.00 to 12.30 last night then on and off 5 minutes here and there boy I think I have list some weight at night with the exercises I am doing to try and get comfortable, had a lovely ankle and foot for 4 weeks now all of a sudden red feels swollen what is it with this op it truly is up and down backwards and forwards so confusing- supposed to be "the turning point" today 6 week Mark, or so everyone told me before I had this done let's see what the day and night brings hope you are all doing good today, God bless xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom