TKR Milosnanna's Recovery Thread<

Good night last night, Took Tramadol x1 paracetamol X1 and Nytol. Slept until 3.00. Then took 1 more Tramadol. Bounced around a bit but managed to get long naps.

Found that pillow between knees wasn't needed anymore so I guess that's progress. Only thing is I guess Tramadol still in my system feel a bit woozy and it's 10.15 am. Maybe it's just my imagination and my fear of taking too many meds.

I am excited about getting a good sleep that's not to say I will get another one tonight but that's fine, Friends wanted to come see me last night but I am still not up to it. Don't know why. Just can't face people at the moment.

My sister came, she said she wasn't going to ask anymore and just came. it was lovely to see her but I get very fidgety. I have been on my own so much these past 5 weeks I suppose I have just got used to it. She was making plans for us for 5 weeks time when my daughter gets back from America - I can't seem to look further ahead than tomorrow.

PT this afternoon although they discharged me 2 weeks ago I asked for another session. Don't know if I will go yet. See how the day goes.
 
Good! But don't be too anxious/upset if you find yourself very drowsy today. That's what happens, I'm afraid.

From what you have said I would suspect your nausea may be anxiety induced. You're not accustomed to prescription meds and are understandably rather cautious about using them. It's understandable.

Took Tramadol x1 paracetamol X1 and Nytol. Only thing is I guess Tramadol still in my system feel a bit woozy and it's 10.15 am. Maybe it's just my imagination and my fear of taking too many meds.
AND Nytol? That is a very unwise thing to do because it contains an antihistamine which itself causes drowsiness! If you're anxious about taking too many meds, then don't go and take extra ones! Tch Tch!

And what time did you take the first Tramadol?
 
They are the nytol herbal asked chemist if it was okay to take with tramadol should I leave off. Took first tramadol at 11 pm then second one at 3.30', feeling so nauseous today don't know if it's meds related as I have felt nauseous even before being prescribed tramadol I think you are probably right it's anxiety and frustration
 
You have to roll with your body, Milosnanna. We can all find someone on here who is at the same timeframe we are but doing more than we can. It doesn't matter. Listen to your body. I'm not much of a medicine person usually and I had not taken anything stronger than tylenol before this surgery. I came home in 24 hours after a c- section and took tylenol for less than a week. I expected that after this surgery I would be off everything in two weeks at most. Wrong! This recovery has been humbling and I learned pushing harder doesn't always work. I think the biggest adjustment for me was that prior to surgery I could just push until I couldn't go anymore and it didn't get any worse after I got off my knee. Now I will do something mildly pushing it and quit and 3 hours later or even the next day, it swells and hurts way more than when I quit. That has been a hard adjustment and makes it hard to know when to quit. Hoping you continue to improve and find your balance.
 
@Jajakio I know what you mean about pushing and learning when to stop, I think you are almost 2 weeks ahead of me, I hope you are doing good. Meds are so confusing never know when to blame them, don't know if they are causing nausea or not, sometimes I think it's the paracetamol - I only take 1 every 4-5 hrs then read paracetamol does not make you nauseas. So confusing I think it must be down to anxiety.
 
It is very difficult to determine what is causing the nausea sometimes; an unusual reaction to a drug, the pain itself , stress, or another prblem,. I know you don't like meds, but have you considered an antinausea drug? I've always had huge problems with nausea. I threw up for 8 hours after my c-section. This time to OS and team were very proactive. I had antinausea drugs plus scopolomine patch presurgery, got antinausea drugs in the IV bag at the hospital ,and was sent home with a generic Pepsid for nausea. I did beautifully and was only mildly nauseous a couple of times. I didn't give up the Pepsid until I was off everything but tylenol. There are several choices for antinausea drugs. Talk to your doctor, maybe they can give you something for the short term.
 
@Milosnanna, have you been to see your family physician since you've had surgery? I'd think he/she could offer the best advice and help for the persistent nausea? There are so many possibilities here, from meds, to pain to herbals to anxiety, possibly even something dietary. It could also be from something totally unrelated to your knee, but whatever the cause, you certainly don't need this extra added level of misery, right? If it were me, I'd get it checked out by the pros.

If you and hubby do eventually come to visit New England, I'd be delighted to point out some of the "Must-Sees!" I can also provide you with directions to "Peyton Place," lol. It's a gorgeous little town in NH. :heehee:
 
@Pheebs52 thank you , hopefully we can take you upon that someday:) I can but dream, well that's when I can sleep anyway lol
Thanks jajakio - I was actually prescribed cyclazene which I haven't been taking but do desperate tonight I took one and yes the nausea eased quite a bit.
I know I am my own worst enemy when it comes to meds.
I took one when I first came out of hospital and it made me sleepyhead afraid of falling with walker so never bothered again, but at least I have a full pack of them and I will take tomorrow if necessary, I was trying alternatives like Greek yogurt, peppermint tea and ginger tea which weren't really working, I would say the Greek yogurt was the best at easing it.
 
I would have to agree with others in that it might be wise to get checked by dr. Perhaps that could also help ease your mind and allow for bettet sleep at night, though I know for me sleep was hard to come by for awhile.
Don't know why. Just can't face people at the moment.
I had similar feelings as well. I recovered by myself, and became very isolative. I wish I had linked into this site sooner. I hope it helps to have a place you can go to vent, ask questions, and connect with people even if just virtually. It has been a lifesaver for me.
 
There are lots of antinausea choices. If the meds you were given don't agree with you or make you feel too goofy, call the doctor and ask about something else. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get the right medication for your circumstances.
 
Another good night. Seem to have got the right ideal about meds now - 1 in the middle of the night then I do go back to sleep. Still tossing and turning but no pillow between legs anymore and not tossing for pain just comfort.

5 week kneeversary today. I dream every night and it's always about me running and walking fine, so disappointing when I walk but hopefully that will come.
 
Glad to hear you seem to have the meds managed well. That is always such a challenge in those first week. Sleep woes seem to last a lot longer than we think they will but if you are getting a few solid hours at a time, that's great! 5 weeks is still quite early in recovery so continue to rest a lot and don't overdo it. The good walking will continue to improve. :)
 
To add another voice encouraging you to keep those meds coming steadily, I have learned to my chagrin, and with lots of unproductive experimentation, that abstaining from medications is a no-no in this particular journey to recovery.
I was actually prescribed cyclazene which I haven't been taking but do desperate tonight I took one and yes the nausea eased quite a bit.
I know I am my own worst enemy when it comes to meds.
I took one when I first came out of hospital and it made me sleepyhead afraid of falling with walker so never bothered again, but at least I have a full pack of them and I will take tomorrow if necessary,
Kudos to you for finally trying the cyclazene! You found out that it does do what it is supposed to, and that you "survived" taking it. (A lame attempt at humor, sorry!) The only mistake I see in your comment above is where you say, "I will take tomorrow if necessary." Have you not already discovered that it is necessary? I respectfully suggest that based on your findings, put the cyclazene on your schedule and take it regularly. Many of the meds prescribed for these surgeries make us sleepyheads. Just be aware, and cautious, and enjoy not being nauseous.

I was a victim of my own similar thinking for a number of weeks after my surgery. Just trying to help you not repeat my mistakes~ :flabber: Let's raise a glass to the most comfortable and uneventful recovery we can manage! :cheers:
 
Even though I slept well last night had two naps today one was 2 hrs maybe it's the anti sickness meds. I have enjoyed my naps because I dream I am running and walking normally don't want to get up it is so nice. Sea ge pains tonight can't really call them pains they are like a dull ache all down right hand side of right operated knee it seems like the numb area is wearing off a bit too so could be something to do with that. I just feel so lazy sitting/laying all the time I am normally a very active person and there are 5 people and two animals living here and so very much to do constantly but only basic things being done at the moment as everyone works, can't wait to get back to some sort of normal.
 
At this early stage in your recovery, it's normal to take daytime naps, as well as night-time sleep. Your body has been through a major trauma with this surgery and it needs time and rest, so it can heal.
I know it's hard to do very little, but right now that's an important part of your recovery.
Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your knee the best possible chance of healing well.

This is the time for the rest of your family to look after you and repay you for the many, many things you've done for them. I know it's hard. This article may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
They say no few night are the same, back to the awake at 4 again last night, strange feeling in leg can't understand has anyone else had this sort of dull ache all the way down the outer part of the operated leg it came yesterday I. Am hoping it is swelling going down and actual feeling coming back but I don't know, happens when walking using walker I have been trying to do heel to toe with walker to get my leg straight I am guilty of not doing enough leg straightening exercises in the beginning and indeed now any advice on the best ones for this far in 5 weeks or is the heel to toe one the best stopped doing the leg lifts because I could do them.
 
Re straightening your leg, here's a link to info on extension. Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

My PT prefers the one where you bridge your leg onto a stool. She likes exercises where gravity helps you. She always places the stool slightly lower than the chair I'm sitting in, so that's what I do at home. Some people make the stool higher than their chair, which elevates the leg a bit.

I've noticed that others on this site think that walking with the longest stride they can achieve helps them with their extension.
 
That's what helped my extension the most.
 
Haven't written for a couple of days it's true one step forward - two back, not sleeping again and pain really bad at night, pretty bad in the day unless I am standing, but standing too much causes swelling I am still in the "wish I had not had this done" stage it will be 6 weeks this coming Wednesday and it feels like a snails pace although I know it is not because I do more now than I did last week or the week before so I have to have that all elusive bro smarties favourite thing "patience" hard to find it sometimes, so frustrating miss my little Boston terrier walkies he gets his walks but not with me he has been so very understanding and doesn't come near my knee. Hope everyone is doing okay today been reading some threads from start to finish it keeps me going .
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom