THR Midouri's Second HIp

I’m finding that when now sleeping on my side, I wake up and the left one is a bit sore for the day. Is this normal? The left is the hip I had replaced in December! It is ok for me to sleep on my operated hips isn’t it? I’m avoiding sleeping on my newly done hip (the right) for now.
 
Hi all,
Am also wondering when I’m fully recovered at 3 months can I sit in the lotus position (when I’m in Pilates we sit on the mat) ?
Can I also still flip turn when I swim?
is this movement considered high impact?
 
Hi @midouri
Regarding sleeping on your first operated hip...were you doing this before number two?
I think you Can do lots of things as far as safety...but it was close to a year before some of that sensitivity resolved to where it was comfortable enough to me.
Lotus pose:flabber:
Not me. Extreme external rotation and I don't want to risk doing anything to mess up my nicely performing hips.
I would think even at 3 months this sounds scary to me, since true healing can take up to one year or longer.
Just my opinion...but maybe you will get other feedback.
As for swimming...The flip and push...I dont consider that high impact but I would give that plenty of time before I tried it.
Best to also get OS views on these matters.
Our surgeons know us inside and out. :yes:
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much Mojo,
Yea I might just avoid sitting like that x.
I was sleeping before the op on both sides... tended to turn a lot in the night but I thought that was cause of the right bothering me ... so you might be onto something there... maybe it’s still a bit early. Thanks Mojo I’ll take all your advice xx
 
@BionicButt
Aren't you back to yoga?
What was your timeline?
 
:doh:Sorry I was being confusing....midouri.
I tagged our member, BionicButt, as she practices yoga to see how long before she tried the lotus pose.
Glad to know you aren't planning on waiting on Pilates but most importantly, listen to your body rather than set timelines.
IT is in charge of healing.
You are doing well for 5 weeks and we want these to be our forever hips!
Have a good weekend, friend.
 
@midouri, just want to help you set some reasonable expectations. Uh ... you're not "fully recovered" at three months.

Three months is roughly the time it takes for the device to attach to bone. So the device will be secure. But the soft tissue is a long way from being "fully recovered" at three months.

I was still learning to walk well without a limp at three months and later. Not trying to bum you out ... just want you to have realistic expectations. Maybe you felt great at three months on the other hip. That's great ... doesn't mean the new side will recover as fast.

Easy does it.

And hopefully someone will comment specifically on the lotus position.
 
Thanks Going for fun x. Yes i wasn’t thinking when I said that. I think it’s after ~ 1 year when fully healed, is that right? Thanks yes I’ll be minding myself for quite awhile. My right hip is 10 months x and left, 5 weeks x.
 
I’m 6 weeks today and not seeing specialist but I’ve taken myself off precautions!! I’m now doing around 2000-2300 steps daily. I had my first shower today standing up in the bath (had been sitting on bath board whilst showering). I’m going to start gently trying to bend each day to touch my toes!! All good, the incision is always a bit sore.
 
Hi Midouri!
You certainly sound like you are doing well. It's nice when we can see that some of our recovery aids are no longer needed like shower chair.
Do you have a follow up appointment soon? I bet your OS will be excited to see his work in action.:happydance:
At six weeks, there is a lot of healing still happening so I'm sure the sensitivity with your incision will slowly get better also.
Hope you have a great weekend, double hippy friend.:tada:
 
Congrats on your night out! I am just shy of 2 weeks ahead of you and had my first night out this week for my son's birthday- made me feel like I was rejoining the world- almost a sensory overload - but wonderful (despite my backside's protest to the hardness of the restaurant chair!- I guess anything feels hard after over 5 weeks on a recliner with a still tender hip area!)

It took me several days to "talk myself" into side sleeping- I found the "log roll" somewhat anxiety provoking! Finally managed with my husband on close standby, firmly hugging a body pillow between my knees and counting to 3! Then grabbing for the edge of the bed with my right hand (I was rolling onto my left side),. I also found the first week and a half of side sleeping, I needed an additional pillow between my legs (again with my husband on standby to lift my operative leg and insert another one) because within moments, I felt all the muscles stretching and protesting on the outside of my operative leg. For the first few nights, only managed an hour on my side before I switched back to my back- but still so lovely to have doubled my repertoire of sleep positions! Fast forward a few weeks, and I am rolling from my back to my right side independently, down to 1 pillow between my legs and letting my husband sleep through the process (which happens multiple times per night!) After my recent (almost) 6 week post visit with my OS this past week (and his lifting of restrictions), I even tried a bit of time on my stomach- which feels like a really good to fully stretch the hip!

Good luck with your log roll! I am sure you will master it in no time!

What fun, and a nice change of scenery for you and your hip! I have that too, the muscles stretching and burning on my operative side when trying to sleep on my good side. Glad you have accomplished that! And oh those restaurant seats and church pews are hard- I have to carry a high pillow with me wherever I go. ( not a bed pillow) How nice your restrictions have been lifted... now that’s a celebration right there!

I’m new to this wonderful site in last few days, and looking at other’s posts. Just incredible what a new hip, knee, or shoulder joint can do to bring a smile to our faces. Congrats on your hip success.
 
Hi @midouri
I hope you're having a nice weekend. It sounds like you're doing well. First shower standing up, ending restrictions, increasing your steps....all good.
Wishing you a great Sunday and all the best at your appointment on Tuesday.
Please let us know how it goes.
Warmest wishes :friends:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom