Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of such a thing. Glad your daughter is doing good now! That is scary when your children are sick.
 
Wow Mimi, You really are a lucky mom and you daughter is one lucky young lady! Thank goodness she had the right doctors and hospital! Don't you just love modern medical technology!:thumb:

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
I went to the spine and neck OS today and the MRI shows that I have a (7.4mm) moderate to severe buldging disc C5-C6. First thing we try is cervical steroid epidual, twice in two weeks and some PT, first shot Qct. 1st and if that doesn't work then we go for surgery.:yikes: I am so hoping the first treatments help, but if need be I will do the surgery. As my mom always said "That's the way the ball bounces" in her french accent. At least now I know where I'm headed.:thumb:

My goal is to stay well and stay positive!:friends:
 
Jacky, you and my husband must be necking :whistle: as you have the identical thing going on. Dave has gone through the PT with only making it worse and Doc didn't even want to try the steroid shot so that is why he gets the surgery on Oct 2nd. I see how much pain he is in, and hope you aren't in as much pain as he is. Although women tend to tolerate pain better right....:umm: Although I can't say that Dave complains about other stuff. Even the nurse and doc both said that farmers are the last ones to come in for treatment, so when one does come in for pain, they know he is hurting especially if he comes in during the harvest season. Why wouldn't he give you the shot today? That is what I hate, they make you come in and tell you what is wrong, then have to make another appointment to do anything about it.
 
LOL Deb! Me and your husband necking? But he was on my mind as my husband and I were getting the news.:scratch: When the doc said that eventually I will need the surgery, I asked way not just go to the surgery then?, he said well we have to try the least invasive first then if that doesn't work surgery. We made the appointment for Oct 1st because he has all his equipment at another office that he practices as well. In order to give the shot he is guided with xray while you lay on a special table. The shot has to be extremely precised or your can damage the spinal cord and nerves. Also, I have to stop all ibuprophen and low dose aspirin use for 5 days before getting the shot. I did ask him what the surgery entailed and he said exactly what you said your Dave has to go through.
 
Jacky, I'm sorry about your neck news! At least you know what you're dealing with. I hope the injections do something good for you. I don't want you to be in pain! :-(
 
Thanks Janet! I guess since my new knees (16 wks today) we're recovering well, my neck decided it was it's turn to grab some of my attention!:skep: And you are so very right, it is better knowing what I'm dealing with and moving on with it. Now I'm wondering what to expect after I get the neck thingy corrected. What other part of my body will stand up and be heard. Never a dull moment that's for sure.
I was just talking to my sister in Florida, the one with the same neck thingy, and asked her, what the heck happen to the good old childhood days when all we worried about was can we go play in the rain?! :scratch:
 
Jacky,
Sorry to hear about the neck problems. The epidural really isn't that bad, I have had many Pre surgery, sometimes they work really well if things in there aren't to bad. I have had the surgery 3 times all at different levels of the neck, not to bad either. The worst is you are laid up for a bit of time while the fusion takes hold. If I can help you out with any questions you have just let me know.
The reason they have to do the shots first is because insurance companies dictate to do it that way, the less they have to pay the better for them.
 
Thanks so much for that info Rose! :thankyou: I guess it does makes sense that the insurance company would have their best interest in mind, after all we are mire mortals. :whistle: I probably will have some questions as I go along, so thank you for allowing me to pick at your brain of experience.

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Oooh, I'm sorry too to hear the news that you may have to have more surgery. Can only echo what Janet says. You will be okay though, because you are strong and have such a good and positive outlook :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Kathy for your self confidence in me. I do believe that if I can make with the other challenges in my life I can make it through this as well. :thumb: I look forward to getting this behind me so I can enjoy traveling with my rock of a hubby. He keeps me strong, therefore I am one lucky woman.
 
Jacky, I hope your injection for your neck went well and does the job! Let us know how you're doing.
 
Hello everyone, today is Mickey's & Minnies's 4 month birthday and they are doing well. I think I lost some recovery momentum for a couple of weels, but they'll catch up, they've all the time in the world.
They were quite surprised today though went we got to the OS's office for the cervical steroid epidural! Got that beautiful (open in the back) gown on, walked into the proceedure room and face a very high surgical table (narrower than my body for sure. What the heck is up with that?!) and we were to climb 2 steps and go belly first on this wonderfully HARD table, which means Mickey & Minnie must kneel on it in order to position myself for the xrays and shot! I must say they did squeak at me a bit.
Next surprise.... I asked the doc if I get sedated for this, he says, no sedation needed, I said then you'd better tie my head down on this thing, no verbage coming back to me from him. I feel a pinch, not bad, somewhat between my shoulder blades. As he's talking to the xray tech he's doing more stuff back there. You see I expected him to move higher up toward the head, but no he's doing more stuff and I feel pressure inside my back, he swabs me down with something, drys it off and says, okay your done. I said that's it! Your done! I said WOW your good! He smiles...
Next surprise.... I stand and instantly I get this unbelievable pressure behind my eyes and then a tremendous headache! That's why you need a driver to drive you home, not because you get sedated, not with him anyway.
Got home took my tylenol and went to bediby for four hours. Woke up, headache not so bad so took my ibuprophen and iced for 20 minutes and am writing to all of you.
When I woke up Mickey and Minnie had a present waiting on the kitchen island, their new Orthaheel orthotic slippers and walking shoes. We tried them on and they seemed happy, so maybe they won't stay mad at me for this mornings episode.
The End!

Thank you so much for all the well wishes for me today, I appreciate having my BoneSmartie friends. I am so lucky to have found you all!:friends:
 
Woohoo Jacky, that WAS a quick procedure and soooo good that you expected more, but that was it, yipeeeee :yay: Well done you :thumb: And so nice that Mickey and Minnie didn't feel left out by having a present waiting for them. I love your stories, I want the set :heehee:
 
Happy 4month anniversary!! How did it get to be October 1st already! I'm so sorry about the headache. I'm not sure what was worse after my breast biopsy, the nausea or the headache. I think the headache! I'm glad it is easing up. Hope Minnie and Micky are happy with their new slippers. Let me know how they like the walking shoes and which you got. I just ordered another pair of walking shoes, boots and clogs. Hopefully something will work for fall and winter. Thank goodness for free returns to Zappos.
 
Thank you Kathy, yes that procedure was way less then I ever imagined! I checked everything on the web and nothing came close to what I experienced. That's what I get for not asking more questions, like I did for my new knees. That'll teach me!
I'm thinking that Mickey & Minnie will be very happy with their new slippers & walking shoes, they have quite a arch support (I have high arch) and there is a nice cradle for the heel for stability. If you try them I think you'll like them, but if you don't FootSmart has free returns for up too six months. Janet gets them from Zappos with the same deal. Good luck if you try it.

I hope you're feeling better my friend! :friends:
 
So glad that went well for you. Fun with new shoes as a bonus!:dancy:
 
Thank you Janet! I have no idea how we got to Oct. 1st, it seem to be all a blur! I had three breast biopsies and never experienced any of these side effects, I guess I was really lucky.
I do think Mickey & Minnie will love their new slippers (Orthaheel Gemma with Tan Leopard, closed toe)& walking shoes (Orthaheel Action Walker). So far we are very happy with them. I like the high arch support and the cradle for the heel section. I feel a spring in my step as I walk which lessens the impact on the knees, that's the first thing I noticed. Thank you so much for the tip on theses shoes, I really had a hard time finding a really good slipper & walking shoes. :thumb: Also, FootSmart offer free returns for 6 months as well.

I hope all is well with you, Elmo & Cookie Monster, they seem to be stepping out and enjoying life again! :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom