Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacky, when I was in the hospital after my left knee was replaced, I came up with MRSA pnuemonia. Well insurance didn't want to pay for any more rehab, so they had to find a place to put me. I ended up on the "stroke" unit that had been the pediatrics ward. I went into the bathroom, and looked down, wayyyyy down and finally saw a little toilet! Well, I had to go real bad so I grabbed a bar and started sliding down, down, down until I managed to find this little toilet! Try to imagine me getting up up up! :rotfl: I am 5'9 1/2 and at the time weighed over 400 pounds! Not a fun time for a big gal! My mother came in and was horrified, and she whipped the nurses into action. I had a commode chair that went over the little potty after that. My Mom is very protective of me! :happydance:
 
Holy molly! I think I'll redo my bathroom before the kitchen, and start with the toilet! I'm feeling motivated! In France, I went to a public bathroom and the toilet was a hole in the floor! I didn't use it. Even the bus was better than that.
 
The bathroom is a great place to start Janet. We moved into a 55+ community and all toilets are aging adult height, I never needed a toilet seat riser, all doorways are wider to allow for wheel chairs if need be and all shower stalls are wide with wide entrance doors. When we first had it built my mind said, oh this will be great when we're in our 80's or 90's, then I got my new knees and realized, oh this is great now!!!!

I always wondered about that hole in the floor thing in France, they really had that huh?! Wow, that wouldn't work for me either!
 
Thank god for moms Sonja, you've gotta love 'em!:flwrysmile:
Yes, she looks out for me in many ways! Dad had always said that he would protect his girls, and Mom took over! :wink: I never have to worry if Pat is out of town, because Mom will be here or insist that I come there! :happydance:
 
Hi everyone, I haven't been on my own thread for a while because frankly I've been feeling yucky! My neck is giving me such a pain that it is feeling like my knees use to feel before they were replaced. If I could I would cut it off myself if I thought for one moment that I could do a nice clean cut and not kill myself in the process. :yikes: I did go see a new OS just before Labor Day, he deals with spine and neck problems. I told him I had just had BTKR in June and before I could finish my reason for being there he said, so now you want your neck replaced?, I asked if he could do that for me?, he laughed! He said the muscle on my right side of the neck is so tight that no amount of massaging or PT would loosen it. He wrote a script for a muscle relaxer and ordered an MRI. He suspects a bulging disc in my neck. I went for the MRI this morning and have a follow up appointment for Sept. 20th. In the mean time the muscle relaxer is bear touching the pain. The worst part about this neck being outta wack is that a the end of the day I start to get spotty vision from the pressure in the back of my neck. Oh well there's the tale to my woes!

On the bright side, Mickey & Minnie are really treating me well! :thumb: I've found that I can now cross my legs at the ankles and my knees don't lock up and shoot pain to my head. I am walking without a limp, a straighter back and without a cane when I'm outside. I've been practicing stair descent and climbing with my cellar stairs, approx 20 steps, once a day. Muscles are still weak at this point, that's why I only do it once a day, but I feel improvement every time. My new knees are my saving grace, because if I had to deal with my neck and bad knees I would probably dig my own hole in the ground and jump in! :bow:

Now that I have happy knees I want the rest of me pain free, so this year I name as the "Fix Jacky Year"! Hopefully we'll still be able to take a trip to the Maine Coast in the fall and drive down to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with our daughter and granddaughters! Now there's a bright light! :)

Stay well my BoneSmartie family, and thanks for being here and letting me unload, I feel better already! :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
Oooooh, Jacky, so sorry about your neck and that replacement (:heehee:) is not an option for you. Sounds positively awful. Hope with the MRI you can get it sorted out and taken care of without too much trouble. If it ain't one darn thing is another. Happy to hear that Minnie and Mickey are behaving and actually becoming model citizens. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
 
Hi Jacky, so did having to lay still for the MRI hurt? My husband complained about that. I had warned him as I have had three MRI's and the laying still was the hard part of it. For my first one they kept having to repeat one of the segments of it because my knee would quiver. I was so glad when that was over with. Have you ever had an injection for the pain in your neck? Dave went to PT this morning and the therapist looked at the MRI and she told him it was bad and sometimes the surgeon will try an injection first. But Dave and I were talking that we have our $10,000 deductible met this year and if we wait to see if an injection works, it might be after the 1st of the year and then we have to start all over again shelling out money. So I am hoping for surgery for Dave right away. Now don't you get crabby with your husband like Dave got with me yesterday. It did help to bawl my eyes out in front of him as he has been nicer since then. He of course is blaming my tears on after surgery depression. I am sure that didn't help. Feel better Jacky.
 
Thank you Judy, I've lost track of your hubby. He's getting his new knees this month right? Or did he already go in? I hope everything is going okay in your neck of the woods.

Stay well my BoneSmartie friend! :friends:
 
Hubby will go in Sept. 24 for first surgery and have second Sept 27. So not too long to wait. Thanks for asking.
 
Oh Jacky, so sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having with your neck. I do hope you get it sorted very soon. You don't deserve this at all.

On the good side, it is great to hear that Mickey and Minnie are absolutely beehiving themselves. So happy for you on that score and you DO most certainly deserve that, young lady :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Deb, laying still didn't bother me, as I had taken with me a CD by Beethoven "By the Sea" which was just light back ground music to ocean waves, very soothing and I lost myself in there. However, from the moment she told me I could not swallow, my mouth got all juicy and I had to concentrate on not swallowing. :doh: I did find it quite sore on my lower back when I had to get up and it did take me a while to get my land legs back. :whistle: The last time I had an MRI it was on my knee in 2009 and there I just closed my eyes and envisioned myself playing laser tag, because that's what all that clanging inside there sounded like. :heehee: All I have to do is close my eyes and I put myself in my own little mini vacation! :snork: I have never had a shot in my neck, but if it's serious I would rather fix it rather than mask it with medications. I too have met our deductibles and co-pay for the year, so if something needs to be done, do it now. I am just tired of putting life on hold!

Crabby? Me? You bet your bottom bootie baby! If crabby is called for, then crabby he gets! He's had his turn at the crabby wheel of life! It's one of our many ways of sharing after 47yrs of marriage, we always did love the kiss and make up part! :whistle:

Stay well my friend and continue to think positive! :friends:
 
Thanks Kathy, I do look forward to clearing up my neck issue and moving on, after all if I'm going to make it to 100 I at least want it to be as pain free as I am able to achieve! There's a lot of living to be done by us young chick-a-dees! Who else is going to drive all those old men crazy, right?! :loll:

Stay well my friend and happy recovery to you! :friends:
 
Jacky48 I am so glad that you were able to blow off steam. Sometimes holding it in seems like a good idea until we blow then we feel so much better. Sorry about your neck. I hope its something that can get fixed. I agree with you after all the surgies we have no tolllent to pain. WE do want to be pain free and thats that. I like the birth of Minnie and Mickey. They are 3 days older than my left knee. I will have to think of three names, one for each knees and one for my hip. My hip hit 1 year old this week. And is having a party and you are invited to come over to my site and join it. Take care do have fun. :puppysmooze:Tashia :bicycle1:
 
Oh, Jacky, I'm so sorry for your neck pain! It always seems to be something, but why does that have to be so? Mickey and Minnie deserve to play! Seriously, that is just awful, and I do hope they find a way to resolve this soon and that you get some relief even sooner. Keep us posted!
 
Thank you Tashia and Janet, I have had some sort of neck pain for over a year and was usually able to massage or exercise it back to some sort of normalcy, until now! So I figure if a surgey is needed so be it, I'm ready for whatever comes at me!
Mickey & Minnie want to go out and play, but my neck is now boss, but not for long! This too shall pass!:yes:

Stay well my friends and stay positive!:friends:
 
Jacky,

If it is any reassurance to you the neck surgery recovery is a walk in the park compared to these knees. I had it 3 times with a little PT after and it made a world of difference for me. My heaaches were sooo bad I could barely get my head off a pillow. Now I know if there is any pain a fast trip to the neurosurgeon is in order. They may be able to help you with cervical steroid epidurals (for me no big deal) as long as all the body parts are still working okay.
 
Thanks karmigirl, I look forward to anything that will relieve this pain in the neck pain! I certainly know that pain trying to get my head off that pillow, that's for sure. Thanks for the note of incouragement.
I have a sister who needs neck surgery, she's to scare to jump in and do it. She says she spends weeks in bed. To me that's not living, it's merely exsisting. She can't believe to this day that I did my knees. I won't settle to just exsist I tell her, it's not like years past where technology was just getting started, we are lucky to live in an age where a lot things are with in our reach if we want it.

Stay well and stay positive my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
Jacky, I am so sorry to hear about your neck. I can fully empathize with you.:console2: I have had neck problems most of my life, starting in high school when I did a "face drop" on the trampoline, and my neck flew backwards, then forwards and it has never been the same. OA started to set in in my 30's and my MRI is a mess. I have herniated disks, degenerative disks, bulging disks, and bone spurs and very little cartilage in between any disks. :groan: I have been to a neurosurgeon, who was the "expert" that reviewed the Boston shaken baby case a number of years ago. He said that I am a house of cards and that he would only operate if I had paralysis of any kind. He said that my neck has many problems. What is funny is that my pain comes and goes. I have a very limited range of motion. Sometimes I get pinched nerves.

What I do for it is , I get PT twice a year and it helps the range of motion. I sleep on a strange pillow that is shaped like a candy cane and I use one of those neck warmers that you can get a Bed Bath and Beyond that you heat in the microwave. The heat really helps my pain.:SUNsmile: I can't take the muscle relaxers, not even 1/2 of one. They knock me silly!!

I hope you find some answers to your problem. At least with neck pain we don't have to WALK on our PAIN!:friends:
 
Thank you Mimi for sharing all your wisdom on the neck matter, I do appreciate it very much. You've had quite a go of it very early on in your life and I can really say you are a trooper when it comes to keeping a positive attitude no matter what you face! You are quite an inspiration for people who might think they are working against all odds! Thank you for that! :friends:

I do have such a little pillow/neck warmer that I put in the microwave, however it just doesn't do the trick for me.

I can't wait for next Thursday to see what I'm up against. At least that will led me toward the path I must follow.

Thank you again for sharing your neck trama story and remedies.

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom