Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Morning Glory, The Tour de France will never be the same, however instead of peddling I will be sitting in one of their baskets and give directions as to where to go, NO WAIT I'm afraid they'll tell me where to go! :heehee: Oh well it wouldn't have worked out anyway, so I guess I'll stay home! :rotfl:

Janet, we'll see how close to the peddles he sets up the bike seat and at what tension he puts it at! I've gotta admit it felt good doing the bike thing, like it loosened up the muscles or something.
 
:bicycle1: Great job Jacky!!! You are so far ahead of most of us at 3 weeks out:yes!:.

The first time they tried to get me on a bike, I fell forward cause my quads were still not working. And that was at
2 months:hissy:. You go girl:friends:
 
Mimi, I don't know how far ahead I am of anyone, all I know at the moment this is what my body allows me to do. I thank you so much for your encouragement! :friends:

I do know however when I read your story before my own surgery I could not believe how you dealt with everything that was thrown at you. You are a true inspiration to anyone who has to jump through the hurdles you had to endure! Thank you for giving me the courage to go forward with my own surgery! :friends:
 
Thanks Morning Glory, The Tour de France will never be the same, however instead of peddling I will be sitting in one of their baskets and give directions as to where to go, NO WAIT I'm afraid they'll tell me where to go! :heehee: Oh well it wouldn't have worked out anyway, so I guess I'll stay home! :rotfl:

.

No, no, no...I wasn't putting you in the race, I meant watching it on TV while you pedal your bike. Like virtual racing :)

[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
 
:rotfl: LOL! Too funny,I must have taken a happy pill before I read you message and envisioned myself in the race! :heehee: Now virtual I can do! I've been virtual everything for so long it's second nature, virtual dancing, virtual hoopla hoop, virtual skiing, virtual racing, virtual bowling, etc... The last 4 with the Wii Fit Game! Lots of fun!
 
How did you like PT today? Or, I should say yesterday as you probably won't see this until tomorrow...
 
Hi Janet, PT went great for the first getting to know you day. My flexion was (RT) 118 (LT) 115, extension was (RT) -4 (LT) -3 which I thought was pretty good. I had a young lady who was training under the owners wing so she was doing all the foot work under his watchful eye. She set me up to do some leg lifts with the roll thingy under my knees and she put some weights on my ankles, when I started I asked her how much weight she had on me and she said, 1 lb each, I said, when I left rehab I had 5 lbs each so can we start at 3 lbs? She looked up at the boss and he said sure, she put the 3 lbs on and said, I never had anyone ask me for more weights before! She was so puzzled and cute! Oh the learning curve of the young! :heehee:
 
You are starting out in a good place! That's funny that you asked for more weight! She put two pounds on me and and I weaseled out and didn't say how easy it was. The bike should be pretty easy with that nice ROM, especially with them being so close. Mine were 90-95 and 110. But 0 extension. I'm not sure if my one knee will ever catch up with the other. Maybe after time.
 
Today at PT when it was time for the leg lifts she said, I'll start you with 4 lbs today okay! I started laughing so hard, I think I took her by surprise, I said, oh I see how you operate, give you an inch you want a mile! :rotfl: she started laughing. I must be careful in the future! :whistle:
Janet, it's amazing how quickly these ROM numbers change when you do rehab. It seems like everything loosens up! Isn't it great being on the other side! There was a woman in rehab that heard that I had both knees done at the same, she looked at me and said, knowing what you know now would you do both of them at the same time again?. I of course answered with a big YES! Without a doubt! :thumb:
 
I know! What a mistake it would have been doing only one in comparison. It would be like having two flat tires on the car and only fixing one! At least for you and me and our surgeons. Surgeons that don't do it have their own reasons not to. I think for good candidates otherwise, the concern of some surgeons is the added length of surgery. It's just not suitable for everyone. But my surgeon is so experienced that even doing both, and he did both himself completely, it only took 90 minutes. And I think people fear that doing two at a time is twice as bad as one, but it's not. That first week is rough regardless, and pain is pain, whether it comes from one or two knees. But not everyone does as well out of the chute as you and I, so those are valid concerns and it is an individual decision for anyone and their chosen surgeon. (Small print disclaimers!)
 
You are so right Janet, doing both is not for everyone and it is not an easy decision to make, for the person or the doctor! We were both lucky in the sense that our OS were very experienced and they were comfortable in doing both in a reasonable amount of time. Not everyone's health issues allow for having both done at the same time.

I do love the flat tire image you put in my head! I spoke to one of the builders in our community when I got out of the car after PT today and he said, it's amazing how much taller you look with your new knees, even your posture is straighter! I looked down at myself and I noticed that I was standing straight and not all hunched over. What a great feeling! And I might add no pain in the knees as I was standing and talking to him. In the past I just couldn't wait to get in the house and sit down! What a difference!
 
You both have great points about having both knees done at the same time. :goodpost: I wanted to have both of mine done, however was told that my left was not ready. At the time, I thought that they both were more than ready. I now see that the OS was so right about my left knee. My right TKR was totally bone on bone with a fully blown meniscus. Since my surgery, my left knee has gotten better. Now that was after first getting worse following all of the problems I had post surgery. My left knee went crazy with pain :tantrum:. When all the pain finally left me, the left knee was stronger and had no pain. I feel that the inflamation that a bone on bone arthritic knee creates throughout the body causes other pain problems. I have just noticed that my pain levels in my entire body are almost gone. I have plenty of arthritic joints, but they are not so angry with pain anymore. As for the left knee, some day it will be replaced, but for now, things are good.:thumb:
 
Mimi, that was something my surgeon talked about, that the knee late to the pain game might feel better after the stress was off. But he thought that within a couple of years it would likely need surgery anyway, and I didn't want to do this again, even in two years. In my case, he was probably wrong in the likelihood of improvement anyway, as the condition of that knee was worse than he was able to judge from the x- rays. I wasn't surprised, however, given the way and places I was feeling pain. I guess I'm happy it was, in my mind, not a question of putting it off. I'm thrilled to have them both done, and knock on wood that I don't have complications down the road! But one knee or two, we are all heading towards a better quality of life, hurray!
 
I couldn't have said it better myself Janet! In my case it was clear on the X-rays that both knees were shot, so it really made my decision to have both done somewhat easier. Oh, I really thought hard about that decision, but once I found the right OS the decision got easier! :thumb:

Mimi I am so glad yours worked out for the good, especially with all you had been through to get it done! :friends:
 
Jacky just catching up on your thread, you are doing so well. Wish I could have a glass of wine or anything else:cheers:
Was glad that you enjoyed your steak dinner. I had to laugh at your virtual hula hooping I could not do it with the Wii, it was the funniest thing to see at the rehab:rotfl: I couldn't do any of the balance exercises either. PT has me doing foot pedal bike, lt leg would not cooperate, rt was doing all the work. Now I have a pin hole leak in my rt leg new one for me. Hope PT is treating you right!!!! I have two more weeks of home PT:bicycle2:
Kim
 
Hi Kim, that pin hole is a real pain in the neck! My OS swabbed it with an alcohol pad then put a non stick bandaid on it just to keep it clean. Mine finally closed up 2 days ago. mine really began at rehab and it was gushing down my leg like crazy. It really got me worried, but it finally closed up to just a pin hole. I hope yours closes up soon!

That Wii hula hoop is a hoot! I bought the Wii 3 yrs ago when I first retired thinking I'll get some of this weight off and maybe I won't need to get these knees done, HAAAAA! However it was a lot of fun and I did get to do the hula hoop and catch 10 of them. I was surprised my hips could swivel like that, who knew!:scratch: Then my knees would not let me do it, they would lock up, crunch, etc.... so that was the end of that! But it was fun while it lasted. My favorite was the boxing one. I have no idea who I was punching, but I found out that I could pack a whallup( sp) of a punch! :heehee: PT is going pretty good for me so far. Today is my 3rd day this week of out patient PT. It's starting to feel like going to work now, I never did like that!:heehee:

I hope your PT is going well for you. Your left leg will catch up when it's ready it's like every part of your body has a mind of it's own and your brain is there trying to direct everything and nobody listens! What the heck!:what: I hope you have a great day and weekend!:friends:
 
Hi Jacky, How was your day? Is that the Wii Fit you have? I got that for my grandson about three years ago. He got upset when the older cousin stepped on it as his avatar and it got bigger, but that got fixed. My daughter didn't witness that. Then my daughter, recently having given birth to Daniel, got on it and her avatar blew up into a round tubby girl. She freaked out and ran upstairs sobbing! (Wonder where Jonnie gets it from). She said there should be a warning! So her freaking out freaked Jonnie out even more, and he no longer even wanted the Fit board in the house! It's still there, but nearly three years later, no one is allowed to use it. It has evil properties!
 
Hey Jackie, get ready, the tour starts tomorrow!! [Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side! Get that cycle warmed up. :)
Actually hubby likes to watch it, I don't know how long you can watch guys on bikes, gets pretty boring.

I had my 1 month check up, passed with flying colors! He's very happy with ROM on both knees and was surprised I've started doing stairs. I was too, really. Tried going down first and it was fine. Going up took a bit longer because of the thigh pain but I got it now. A bit slow with tight grip on cane and railing but I did it. And, went to the grocery store and lasted the entire shopping trip! I gave up on that about a year ago, hubby did all the shopping. Our laundry is down in the basement so he's been doing that too. The more I think about it the better I do the more work I'm making for myself..... :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom