Guest viewing is limited

THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you got a good set-up in your bedroom?
I think it's pretty good..I have a side table just the height of my bed next to it for all of my "must reach necessities". Though now I wished I'd gone ahead and bought one of the hospital type table that comes right over my lap. Good news is I'm only a hop and skip (in my good days) away for the restroom.


It gets so much easier. Well ok the first couple days home are the hardest but it really really gets better after week one or ~day 10.
Oh the nausea sigh.. I recall that too, that I think for me was due to the Norco & slow down of bowel system.
Yes, I got into a bit of a cry just now because all I really do is move from the bed to the living room chair maybe for a bite and some tv and then I'm ready for bed again.:sleeep: It feels so odd to want to sleep the entirety of a day away! I feel so much better knowing it's normal.
Ohhhhh geez, the nausea:groan:. I stopped the norco per the doctor but still am having some bouts that I am attributing to the slow bowels. I keep adding things to help get them moving. Had a prune juice "cocktail" with a bite of breakfast. I'll be glad when this part gets sorted.

My GP office called yesterday to see how things were. Was nice of them. But then she said they'd want me to come in to see them in about a week. I don't understand why? I have a follow up with the OS in a couple weeks already. Has anyone had this? I don't think my insurance even requires referrals for specialists or anything.

Oh, and the home care nurse called but I found that they are not in network so I'd have to pay 40% out of pocket for all that. I cancelled the appointment straight away and just am so tired to try to find another company that's in network. What are the biggest benefits of having the home care person come out? Has anyone just done without?

Thank you everyone for kind words. It means so much! :loveshwr:
 
Yes, your "activity level" is normal! At only 4 days out, you are still so very early, and should be resting as much as possible. At 4 days I was just leaving the hospital for home. Hope you have some other pain med if you aren't on Norco any more. I was on it, and a biggish dose too, for 5 weeks, weaning off during the last week. I can't see why you should have to go to your GP in a week. I went a couple of months after surgery. Right now it has got to be a trial to get anywhere out of your house, and it will be a big enough deal to see your OS when the time comes. My first follow-up was at 2 weeks, and I remember the whole trip vividly, and it wasn't easy.

I wonder why an out-of-network home care nurse was told to contact you? Mine was set up ahead of time and there was no question but that it would be in-network. Perhaps you can call your OS's office and have them set you up in-network, or tell you who else to call. I found it helpful. The nurse came a couple of times a week for about 3 weeks, checked my vitals, checked the incision, changed the dressing, made sure that I was able to do what I needed to do at home, and that I had proper help for what I couldn't do. She asked about pain levels and had advice about medication. I think it's a good thing, although maybe not totally necessary. Saved me some calls to my OS's office, for sure.

Ask for help, and rest as much as you can. Your body needs it!
 
I didn't have a nice hospital bedside table either, improvised with a bar stool.
I did have one home health nurse visit, but declined the second visit. She was mainly looking to see that the house was safe, that I had help & did the initial dressing change after surgery. The home physical therapy was beneficial. I want to say 4 or maybe even 5 visits from the PT people. Didn't do any outpatient physical therapy at any facility, just did their home instructions on my own. I have yet to see any charges for this or anything from my insurance as to what they covered & what I owe. Good luck hope you get this sorted out with minimal headaches. Oh & no I didn't go see family doc, I go to him only when things crop up.
 
@MI Chickie
I cancelled my in home care with my second THR because I found I didn't really need them (PT came once and he said I didn't need PT...crazy, huh?) They only came once with my first THR, but it was really a waste of time (but that's just my experience). I sure hope you get your stomach straightened out soon!
 
Sorry I missed the beginning of your thread, but I am caught up now. Glad you are home and trying to settle in to recovery.

The only thing about the home health nurse that I thought was worth it was having her remove the staples. Otherwise, I did not see the point. PT was helpful, but I picked and chose the exercises I did when they were not around.

I will say that I seriously underestimated the post-surgical constipation issues. I have made note of that for hip#2.
 
It feels so odd to want to sleep the entirety of a day away! I feel so much better knowing it's normal

I can understand why you feel that way. I think that at the moment I would love that! Obviously, I am before surgery, but I pretty much spend my day when I am at home going from the bed to the recliner and back again. It will be really nice when we can get out and enjoy life again!

Though now I wished I'd gone ahead and bought one of the hospital type table that comes right over my lap.

I have one of those - second hand - and hubby repainted it to match the decor :heehee: It is good but doesn't really work well on carpet - it kind of snags but it is nice to have.

What do you think your 'must have items' are to have next to you?
 
What do you think your 'must have items' are to have next to you?
The grabber tool stays on my bedside table, that would be number one. I have another at my other "post" in the living room. Water, nausea meds, and I like to have my phone close, it just makes me feel safer. And something to read or do (tablet, kindle or book) in case of late night insomnia. It sounds like your a fellow busy body :happydance:like me, I just like to always be doing something, so all this down time is just foreign to me. I'm getting used to it.

I will say that I seriously underestimated the post-surgical constipation issues.
Oh, :groan:did I EVER underestimate this! I'd been eating prunes for weeks before surgery but whoa, surgery and meds and all really does a number on the digestive system in a hurry! I think I've finally got it worked out but am keeping all suggestions at the ready in case of another bout.

I cancelled my in home care with my second THR because I found I didn't really need them
I had the home care nurse today and PT. The nurse really just asked me a few questions, took vitals and tapped on her ipad for about an hour. I guess she had a couple useful things to say but I'm not sure I'll have that service back again. :chinstroke:
The PT showed me a couple new exercises I can do, checked the house for safety and did actually reassure me on a few things. I was just a little worried about my positioning in my own bed vs. the hospital bed (getting in and out too) and how I'm getting around. It was nice to know I'm not doing anything risky. I'll see what the next visit holds, especially since I'm on the weightbearing restriction I'm trying to be extra careful in my progress. I decided that as soon as any visit is not feeling worthwhile, I'll end them.

As far as the GP wanting a visit, I've decided that I'm not calling her office to schedule. IF they call me, I'm going to tell them I'm not yet comfortable getting out and about, and why do they need a visit anyhow. Maybe they'll just be happy that I've had a home care visit and be done with it.

This is the longest I've been awake in one stretch as I had the nurse, PT and a dear friend visit....I'm oddly wired but know I need the rest. :tiredwheel:
 
Most importantly, how are you feeling overall? Has your nausea abated at all? This first week or two are difficult, but it usually gets a lot easier after that.

I would agree that the PT would be beneficial for you especially because of your non-weight bearing situation. I also had that wired feeling after surgery. I kind of blamed it on the Percocet because whenever I've taken a Vicodin, I can be guaranteed to not sleep that night.

Sending you big hugs! :console2:
 
Tie some heavy cord or string to the end of the grabber because ifyou drop it you're rather screwed and I have a very long handled shoe horn with a curved end and that has picked up my dropped grabber several times. Just rest and dont push yourself.

I did a huge long walk today with the walker and am paying for it tonight and all the pain is right in the middle of my right side (operated side) around the waist and the bottom of my buttock. Sitting is impossible for more than 5 minutes so am reclining in bed. I tried the cane again for a bit and all I do is wobble from side to side so am very discouraged and its into my 6th week now. I watch people walking along the street and think I will never be able to walk normally again. Sorry a bit down tonight and do not mean to do this on your thread but just rest and sleep and sleep heals so you need it. I slept most of the first 3 weeks home and could barely do any of the bed exercises so let them go and slept. I think it really helped.
 
It sounds like your a fellow busy body :happydance:like me, I just like to always be doing something, so all this down time is just foreign to me.

Oh yep I definitely fit that description - I am thinking of all the things that I want to keep my time occupied - I am not sure that staring at the ceiling is amongst my favourite things! I am hopeless on holidays or with any down time as I always need to be doing something. It drives my husband bonkers. What has been your fav thing to do at the moment?

Perhaps we need to start an online 'book club' recommending the books that we have read while 'laid up'.

I think I've finally got it worked out

Oooo I would love to hear your secret! I have just put in the order for yoghurt, museli, pears and prunes for breakfast for when it comes the time.

The PT showed me a couple new exercises I can do, checked the house for safety and did actually reassure me on a few things.

I would see that as the real benefit, making sure that you can do the things that you need to be able to do and watching your 'form' as you do them.

Sending you good healing energy vibes!
 
Most importantly, how are you feeling overall? Has your nausea abated at all? This first week or two are difficult, but it usually gets a lot easier after that.
@Cynthia777 Yes, nausea seems to have calmed quite a bit... I notice it creeping up here and there, but not nearly so bad as the first full day home...my poor 14 year old niece is here from Arizona with my mom and she must've thought I'd lost it as I sat that day, in tears from the nausea and not knowing what to do. The home care nurse said the anesthesia can linger in your system for quite a while, causing one to feel out of sorts. I'm finally just trying to take it hour by hour. Overall, pain is mostly discomfort and some swelling, which I'm icing for, and I'm getting a hang of the walker, so I feel like I'm doing well. But emotions are hard to keep in check, I've had a bit of a cry/meltdown at least once each day.
My friend brought a coffee with her yesterday, it was one of our usual things to do, and I only had about half but I think that did more to keep me from sleeping than I'd like. I'll stay away for a while yet from any more of it.
ie some heavy cord or string to the end of the grabber because ifyou drop it you're rather screwed and I have a very long handled shoe horn with a curved end and that has picked up my dropped grabber several times.
This is an excellent tip, @canoewoman ! I've dropped mine and basically sat staring at it before doing without whatever I was reaching for until help came along. I'll get a cord on them today.
I watch people walking along the street and think I will never be able to walk normally again. Sorry a bit down tonight and do not mean to do this on your thread but just rest and sleep and sleep heals so you need it.
I'm sorry you had a rough day! I keep thinking of the upcoming doctor appointments (how will I get there!) and when my mom goes home (how will I get groceries!) and try to imagine how often I've seen people out and about with a walker....I must learn to quiet that mind and just as you say, rest and sleep. I do believe sleep heals. I hope you've been able to get some, too :sleeep:
Oooo I would love to hear your secret! I have just put in the order for yoghurt, museli, pears and prunes for breakfast for when it comes the time.
So far what is working for me is a serving of prune juice in the morning, fiber cereal and keeping up on the stool softeners. I wanted to stay on the gentle path, as my system tends to overreact to everything. I didn't want to spend too much time in the potty! The home care nurse said my blood tests were showing slightly anemic so I should get some spinach and that usually helps my digestive system too, so that will be added.

Today I might get a real shower at home (had to have some adjustments to the plumbing)! And it's the day I should remove the dressing on the wound :shocked:, otherwise I'm thinking it will be a low activity day.
 
@Cynthia777
I keep thinking of the upcoming doctor appointments (how will I get there!) and when my mom goes home (how will I get groceries!)

@MI Chickie, yes, you do need to be thinking about the issues you mention above. I had my sister to drive me to my appointments until I was allowed to drive again at 6 weeks. She managed getting my walker into the trunk and out again, and watching over me as I walked until I was really steady. If you don't have a friend or family member who can do this, then you might need to take a cab or figure out some other way. Planning ahead is important.

And groceries are very necessary! Perhaps your mom can stock your fridge and pantry before she leaves, which would help. Many of the grocery stores around where I live have delivery services where you can order online and they will bring them to your house. I'd be checking on that before I was on my own.

You are only 6 days out, and I was in such a frail, vulnerable state at that point, that I wish you didn't have to be planning to be on your own. Maybe your mom can stay longer, or there might be some other person who can help you out. Don't be shy about asking, as this is crisis time for you. Most people are very willing to help out, and it makes them feel good to do so.
 
Take a cab to to the medical appointments and find out if you have support services for home help. It costs a bit but they can do the light housework and grocery shopping with or without you. My support worker is finished now as i simply cannot afford it but I managed to get to the grocery store which is close and walk home with some bags tied to the sides of my walker with a few items I needed but I found out the store delivers so I will go again and shop and put stuff in my side bags and pay and then have them deliver it. Some items are just too bulky or heavy to carry home with the walker. If the day comes I am fully able to use my cane then I will take my shopping buggy and do the shopping which I did before the surgery. Its all very daunting but I find just getting around my little apartment and tending to things like washing up a few dishes, showering, minor food prep and microwaving and paperwork etc take up so much time as I am moving like a robot with the walker which gets in the way a lot.
 
So far what is working for me is a serving of prune juice in the morning, fiber cereal and keeping up on the stool softeners. I wanted to stay on the gentle path, as my system tends to overreact to everything

Awesome! thank you for sharing that information!

Today I might get a real shower at home

And how did that go? Was it amazing!!??
 
A really great stool softener is Restoralax. It is not harsh like other products and simply pulls water into the bowel and within a few hours to a day things move very well. My gastroenterologist recommended this to me two years ago when I had severe gastritis and constipation and I have had it ever since. I have not had constipation but rather the opposite so the MD is searching for the reason, ruled out C difficile which is picked up when you get those massive doses of antibiotics following the hip and knee replacement and the natural flora is destroyed by the antibiotics. Now looking for possible allergy to one of 3 meds I take including the pain meds and blood thinner or another bacteria but I got some heavy duty doctor recommended probiotic and just started it Friday so will see if things improve. Whatever I eat just goes through me in no time and its wearing me out and of course keeping me hydrated is a problem.

The myth is that yogurt while ok would in fact need a truckload to do any good in restoring the natural flora. You are better off with a week of prescribed probiotics that are designed to tackle flora loss because of antibiotics. If this would clear up than I would be able to focus back on my hip and exercise recovery because my limping is really causing me stress and maybe its too soon at 6 weeks. Will see the surgeon this week on the 29th for xrays and surgery followup. I just want this recovery to be over and normal again so I can do my regular daily routine without pain or worry about dislocation or other complications. About to come off the blood thinner so am worried about that and if suddenly the blood could form a clot. No history of it in my family or me but still I worry. All these chemicals and one weird thing I suppose to some of you.

I am absolutely mortified that I have a prosthesis in my body, a foreign material and object and not my natural bone. It may sound odd to some of you but I don't even like to think about it. Has anyone else felt this way?
 
I am absolutely mortified that I have a prosthesis in my body, a foreign material and object and not my natural bone. It may sound odd to some of you but I don't even like to think about it. Has anyone else felt this way?

Hi there - I know that many have felt this way on the boards. Personally, it doesn't worry me but I can certainly understand why people might be bothered by it! Others might be able to shine some light on how to reframe those thoughts. I guess I perceive them as something that is going to propel me into the next active period in my life and that makes me excited!
 
You are only 6 days out, and I was in such a frail, vulnerable state at that point, that I wish you didn't have to be planning to be on your own. Maybe your mom can stay longer, or there might be some other person who can help you out. Don't be shy about asking, as this is crisis time for you. Most people are very willing to help out, and it makes them feel good to do so.
Yes, It has been so very difficult for me to do much of anything, I just can't even bend my mind to think beyond the fear of my mom not being here. But I do have hope, one of my friends will have that next week off work so she can be at least some help. I do have a dear friend who really would do anything for me, but I try not to wear him out. I will have him in my corner then too. I think I can be ok, as long as I continue to speak up and ask for help.
I hear that one of the grocery stores delivers so I'm checking that out too. I will get through this! *quickly becoming my new mantra!*

I am absolutely mortified that I have a prosthesis in my body, a foreign material and object and not my natural bone. It may sound odd to some of you but I don't even like to think about it. Has anyone else felt this way?
I think your reaction is a normal one. This doesn't sound odd to me at all, I've had fears it feeling out of place...even now looking at my still swollen hip I wonder if I've gained this whole new almost alien part. I can hardly bear to really look at my incision yet. Overall, I'm handling it quite well, in my own opinion. I've had to really work a lot on my anxiety level as I've gone through this. I felt like my body had betrayed me by ruining this part of me. I work really hard to care for myself and here I had become broken.....it is a difficult thing to accept. I think I finally do, and can realize that I am grateful to live in a time that this kind of procedure is available to help me. Putting it in that perspective has helped me to get over my fears/anxiety of the actual prosthesis. I hope I've worded that in a way that's understandable and possibly helpful. As Juanita said, I'm sure there are others who have their own thoughts or ideas on how to work through it, too. I hope your doctor can help you find some relief soon from the digestive issues, I'm sure the nutrition would help your healing! Sending positive, healing thoughts your way!
 
:bath: The Shower, or The Newest Olympic Event (I didn't see a shower smilie!)

After several tries of changing from my regular shower head to a hand held option, my mom and niece were finally able to install it! Success!!!

Then the shower transfer bench seat needs an adjustment. Easy peasy... sort of. But mom gets it done. *I get my handiness from my mom.*:thumb:

My home is a small home and leave it to a new hip to make it feel like a tiny Lego house. This is my only bathroom. The toilet is very close to the tub, so a temporary home is found for the toilet seat riser (the kind that slides over top). The tub bench is placed, water turned on and adjusted. I think I have everything....

Sit down, now swinging my leg up and over the tub wall....crash, bang, bonk....shampoo bottle that was on the edge of the tub goes down. Mom runs in to check on me. I'm ok, things are just in the way. But now I've dropped my loofah. Can't find it without my glasses on. Mom returns it me and I'm on my way again.

This tub feels smaller with every motion. I mean really, I don't usually have an issue in here! But I feel unsteady in this new way of showering and so am doing everything kind of one handed as I feel the need to hold on for dear life. Some shampoo gets in my eye as I'm fumbling for the shower sprayer. Ok, got it, not too bad.
I've forgotten to rig my razor so I can shave my poor legs. Darn. Next time.
Have I actually moved closer to the end of the tub or is it really this small? My feet are at one end. I guess they were at the start.
I'm clean, so today's the day to remove the dressing from the wound and I thought the water would help loosen it. I get it halfway off and then get to a point where it is really stuck. Its now wet and slippery in my hand so I call it the end of shower. I'll finish removing the dressing when I'm dry.
Despite being in the smallest tub ever, I can't reach the water valve to turn it off so I leave the sprayer facing down. Swing my leg over as gracefully as I can. Then I get out to my walker and dry off. Something keeps dripping down my leg. Did the dressing absorb that much water and is now dripping?? Oh well. Dry off a bit more. Ok still dripping.... wrap up and call mom. No, it's not the dressing, Oh the sprayer is showering the entire room . Ooops. :rotfl:
I get over to my room to sit on the bed and recover. All this in the name of a shower.

I hope this is ok to post. I was safe throughout. Mom was laughing with me from the start. I guess I need a couple practice runs to get the hang of it.

But, yes, the water over my head was wonderful! I so needed a nice shower just to help me feel a bit more like a person than a patient, and it did, despite the awkwardness. :)
 
Oh, yes, ask for that help. We need what we need, and there's no denying it! So glad you got that shower, as awkward as it felt. I had my first one at 9 days out and I truly felt like a new person afterwards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom