Guest viewing is limited

THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always a big see-saw when it comes to recovery. Up-down-up-down....:good-bad:

Getting back to the correct walking gait is so much harder than we think. I wasn't limp free on a consistent basis as quick as I thought. In fact my hip balked at ditching the cane twice because I would revert to limping as I got tired. Then I got sore in random places and would have to back to cane for a few days and then build back up. It is so hard to be patient.
 
5 weeks post-op today! (I can't believe the work/std people want me back to work at week 8, but will worry about that later.)

I've picked up the cane in the last few days as the surgeon had assured me that all things were healed and stayed in place. That first trip up and down the hall was scary! I promptly dropped the cane off in it's spot on got right back in the security of the walker for the rest of the day. I just tried a few more steps every day. Yesterday I felt that I was literally dragging the walker around with me, so I grabbed the cane and used it most of the day. The under butt muscles felt tired at the end of the day. I still feel a bit awkward with the cane, but not unstable. I keep in mind that the walker is there if I tire out, it's ok to step back (I have to remind myself!)

There is still slight swelling around the incision, the muscle beneath feels firm. The incision itself is well healed now.
My back gives me some aches I'm attributing to adjusting to the new "walk" and possibly not moving enough. I'm trying my best to remember some of the tips the visiting PT gave on gait, but have a script for PT to begin when I choose.
Restless legs at night are terrible. The only thing that helps is the tramadol I was taking for pain. I'm worried as those are almost gone and I have no refill. I will have to ask the doctor about those or an alternative.

Hope you all are doing well!!!
 
@MIchickie congrats on 5 weeks ! I hit 5 weeks last Friday ! Curious to know from you and any other bilateral THRs how long it took before you could bend enough to put on socks and shoes without assistive devices or help from someone. Feeling frustrated to not be more self-sufficient at this point but my range of motion seems to still be severely limited. (Tried searching in this forum but not getting any results. Maybe there is some info somewhere I'm just not seeing....)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MI Chickie
Im so pleased you are coming along nicely! You mention the back and butt aches and wanted you to know I experienced the same thing. As your posture straightens out and you use those muscles correctly, you are bound to feel it. Mine mostly disappeared after about 90 days.

As far as Mister Walker goes, don't worry if you go back to it on occasion. The important thing is to make sure you aren't limping while using the cane and you don't over stress your body (slow and steady). Is there any way you can get a little additional time off? You've been through a lot and you don't want to rush it. I've read that returning to work should be between 10 and 12 weeks, with a gradual return.

Good to see you Buddy! :loveshwr:
 
:wave: Hello my fellow BoneSmarties! I'm sorry for the long absence....I lost my Dad quite unexpectedly and I am just lost and heartbroken.

Anyway....I'm 7 weeks post op now. I'm ambling along with the cane pretty nicely now and can do a few steps without, though they are horribly un-graceful and uncomfortable. The cane gait even meets the approval of everyone I ask! I had a big problem with leaning to one side pre-op. I left the walker within reach just in case I need it. Doctor wanted me to wait for PT until I was able to get off the walker so I've just called them this week. They can't even see me until the 16th for the eval. I called the workplace leave people to let them know all the particulars since I hadn't heard from them. She asked me a long list of questions and I just tried to make sure she knew, my job is not sedentary and I am not ready yet. I'm not even sure they knew about the fractures. I'll have to have the doctor office submit records to them. Hoping for at least another couple weeks, that would put me returning at 10 weeks.

I'm pretty comfortable, most of the butt pain is gone. Pain seems to be right around the corner waiting for me to overdo it on any given day. My biggest complaint is the achy feeling all over. Am I not moving enough, not enough exercise? Is it the weak bones (the doctor does want to do the bone density test)? My mind runs in circles. Is it just not enough sleep? I'm pretty restless but tire (physically) faster than I'd like. I read an entire book last night while I couldn't sleep. Long periods of sitting make for such a slow go upon getting up.
Range of motion seems to be returning, slowly. I can reach the non-operative ankle (for lotion, etc.) But not the operated side. @cookster65 I still use the reacher for socks and pants. I can't quite get them. Tried it once and felt like I wrenched something in my back all through my core, so I won't be pushing anything that feels like a stretch for a long while. I just don't do things that cause pain and try to remember, I'm not finished healing quite yet!
 
Ohhhh, I'm so very sorry @MI Chickie! I lost my father suddenly as well and it was NOT easy. Please accept my condolences. :-(

You have had to deal with much more than a THR, so in my opinion you should keep taking it slowly. I would imagine fractures can take some time to heal. Be VERY cautious with PT (Josephine suggests no PT) and make darn sure they don't make you do anything that hurts. If your PT is too aggressive, you could end up with a lot more pain. Just remember one of the BS mantra's, "if it hurts, don't do it". The energy drain lasts for quite some time. I'm a little over 90 days post-op with my second THR and I still get it on occasion. I'm just wondering if going back to work at 10 weeks might still be too early for you?

Good to hear from you and know you are in my prayers. :console2:
 
Chickie, I'm so sad about you losing your Dad unexpectedly like that. How shocking and upsetting, and while you are trying to recover at the same time! Deep sympathies to you.

Nice that the butt pain is gone. I think the achy-all-over feeling takes some time to get through. And you still have the energy drain, made worse, of course, by your father's passing. Take it easy on the stretching and your body will heal in time. Hoping you will feel better soon, physically and emotionally!
 
Thank you so much for the kind words @Cynthia777 @Chihuahuan and @Krista it means so much to me.

Yes, I think 10 weeks is too early, still. I'm going to keep working on getting a bit more. I'd asked for 12 from the start but they've been pushing me on it.
The PT, yes, I'd pushed it off until the last minute as I don't really care whether I have it or not. But I don't want to go against Dr orders and risk my leave time. I really liked the one who came to the house at first, but I can see how people can get through recovery with none at all!
 
@MI Chickie I am so sorry to hear about you losing your dad. :( I cant even imagine your heartbreak.
I hope you can put off going back to work and get healed up more. Both physically and emotionally. Hugs
 
Chickie, so very sorry about the loss of your dad. Hugs and comfort to you.
 
I am so sorry about your loss. Take it easy, all the way from reflection about your Dad to getting healed with your hip. I am finding you can push yourself too much and not realize it. There is a lot of tissue and muscle and body structure that has to change, not to mention your mental state. It takes a beating too. Take one day at a time which is my feeling right now. I cannot look ahead anymore because if I do and there is a setback than I get even more depressed than I am already.

Take care of yourself and again my condolences.
 
@MI Chickie - I'm not able to check in as often as I would like, so I'm just catching up with your thread and wanted to express my condolences as well. Keeping you in thought and prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom