THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I remembering correctly that you aren't taking any prescription pain meds because of the nausea? If so, I can't imagine going through recovery without them! I'm certain you are dealing with a lot more pain than I did because of the other issues you have going on. If your doctor can get the right pain relief mix (without the nausea of course), I think you will be shocked at how much easier your recovery will be both physically and emotionally. My heart goes out to you @MI Chickie! xoxoxo
 
Hang in there @MI Chickie and you cry when you need to! It does help to keep plugged in to this site as you and @gullimac noted and I hope you are able to straighten out the pain meds as @Cynthia777 mentioned. I was sent home on pain medicine I had never heard of, and I don't think it is the best/most effective available, but I'm also sensitive to a lot of medicine, and as I noted in my recovery thread, I was vomiting in the hospital from the post surgery Percocet and Oxy cocktail. Having something you can tolerate to take is definitely better than nothing. The physical pain and discomfort definitely affects you emotionally. And likewise I believe how you feel emotionally affects your perception and handling of the pain and discomfort. Our body systems are all connected. I hope today is better for you. Do you think sharing the info on this site would be helpful for your family to better understand a bit what you are going through? Would they be receptive?
 
Am I remembering correctly that you aren't taking any prescription pain meds because of the nausea?
Yes! It wasn't bad until, well, until it got bad. I was managing alright until several nights ago.
Having something you can tolerate to take is definitely better than nothing. The physical pain and discomfort definitely affects you emotionally.
I agree. I had tramadol from pre-op...I gave it a try last night after making sure nothing would interact. It helped me be able to sleep, but oh I feel groggy and have been running back and forth to the bathroom all day.
Do you think sharing the info on this site would be helpful for your family to better understand a bit what you are going through? Would they be receptive?
I may have to try this, at least with my oldest. She paid a lot of attention when the PT was here, while he explained the healing process and that seemed to make an impact.
 
Hopefully your OS can try some other type of pain medication that you won't get nauseous on. Also keep in mind that many of the side effects from pain meds (drowsiness etc.) usually abate after you take it for awhile. Sometimes the body has to get used to it. :console2:
 
@MI Chickie - I'm checking in with you too. I hope things are getting better. Resolving the medication issue I think is important. This isn't an easy journey as it is, and your pain management issues are making it harder. I don't know if it helps, but I was prescribed something called Nucynta, and I was able to tolerate that better. All drugs of a certain kind tend to have similar side effects, but maybe Nucynta or something else can get you on the lighter side of the side effects scale. Hugs to you today!
 
@Cynthia777 and @Sommers16 Thank you so much for checking in on me :roseshwr:

I'm doing alright. I think I've got the medication thing resolved. The tramadol at night means I can actually sleep. I don't skip it anymore, as I'm not yet ready to see if the pain has stopped spiking at night. During the day, motrin and tylenol still work, but know that tramadol's an option. I haven't had a groggy day since the first night I tried it and the nausea has calmed to nearly non-existent, finally!

Otherwise, I think I'm doing well. Nurse still comes by and PT tries to come 3 times a week, but I only answer the call when I feel up to it. He says I'm doing well. The incision looks like it's healing very nicely, I'm pleased with that. The steri-strips are still holding on tight. I'm peeling a few off each day...afraid if they're still on by my follow up appt with the OS that he'll yank them right off! :shocked:
PT did give me the heads up that I'll probably not get the ok to drive again till I'm off the 50% weight bearing restriction. I expected it, but hoped for sooner. I'll be three weeks post op Monday, have to remind myself how far I've come!
I think that I've been working the non-operated leg a little too hard, knee is achy today so I'm trying to keep an eye that I'm not twisting that leg trying to get around faster. I'm awake most of the day now, I try to get a nice nap midday otherwise I tend to be a little grumpy by evening. :hissy: Haven't been brave enough to get out for an outing any further than my backyard. I had one of my oldest friends over and she urged me to get out somewhere with her. Although I complain about being shut in, I just don't feel like I'm ready.

Yesterday I had my daughter assemble all the ingredients so that I could cook a little. I got some Pesto Meatballs together and my son helped me finish them off in the oven. I had some other dishes in mind, but that was enough for me to want a break. The good thing is I haven't really had to cook as friends have been dropping in here and there with a meal for me and the kids.
 
You sound so much better! Being able to sleep and getting that pain in control really helps both physically and emotionally. I only left my house for my OS appointments for at least a month, if not six weeks. I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have gone anywhere (except to the OS) if I had been 50% weight-bearing. I did get cabin fever something fierce, so I would go and sit in my backyard and soak up some rays. It really helped with the post-op blues too. So good to hear from you my friend! xoxoxo!
 
@MI Chickie - such good news in your report. At 3 weeks you are still so very early in recovery. As much as possible try and be patient and don't overdo it- especially given your additional restrictions.

Improvements come slowly and quietly, but they do come, and it is a great feeling.

It's also great hearing your son help with the dinner recently. What's the update on rallying the troops at home in getting them to understand a bit what you are experiencing and what that means for the household?
 
Although I complain about being shut in, I just don't feel like I'm ready.

It is pretty awful being in one location for some time...soon...so soon (when you are ready) that will not be the case and you will be out and really enjoying that moment.

The good thing is I haven't really had to cook as friends have been dropping in here and there with a meal for me and the kids.

It sounds like you have wonderful support! How special! Are you planning any dinner or celebration for when you are well to thank them?

I did get cabin fever something fierce, so I would go and sit in my backyard and soak up some rays.

I think that is absolutely perfect! Sun and air moving is just magical!
 
Hi @MI Chickie I just read through your thread and I hope you are doing even better then your last update. I loved the way you explained everything in detail. And your shower description make me laugh!:loll:
 
Have just returned from the first post-op appointment with my OS! :yahoo:
I walked all the way up a winding ramp when I could've had my "driver" drop me by a door. It was longer than I thought :unsure:, but no worries, he picked me up there after so I wouldn't have to do a return lap.

Saw the doctor on the way to the room, he said "I was worried about you! The pain is ok?" I told him it was, the tramadol did the trick. He ordered x-rays right then. How odd is it to see a big hunk of metal with the rest of your bones?? Everything is where it should be. 3 weeks is a long time for bone to heal, he said if he were to go in again, it would be solidly healed. He said it's all up to me now! I can begin putting my full weight on the leg while using the walker, then wean myself off it and onto a cane. Be cautious, but be active. There's no need for PT while I'm still on the walker so when I kick that to the curb :snork:, I should call to start that. Other than that, come back in 4-5 weeks! Eeeekkk! I'm truly on the mend!
He asked if that was enough direction as he thought I had a confused look :heehee:. I think this whole process is full of surprises, I know every person's recovery is different, and mine is sure not what I thought it would be! I really just work hard to reign myself in from doing to much but making sure I'm doing things the right way. The doctor said let pain be my guide, if it hurts, scale it back. I was so happy to hear him say it, as if straight from Bonesmart!

After I'd left and was setting the appt...I forgot about asking him when I could drive! So I motioned to him in the hall and he said as long as he's not on the road with me, go ahead! :rofsign:I like him more every time I see him.

What's the update on rallying the troops at home in getting them to understand a bit what you are experiencing and what that means for the household?
My PT has been great about including the kids in the conversations, which has really helped. They've been really good, overall I'm very pleased. I expect that they'd have their days, and they have. It's all a balancing act.

Are you planning any dinner or celebration for when you are well to thank them?
I've had great support! They've really come from all over my little circle, so I'll be doing a little something for each of them. My mom had a shipment of her favorite tea waiting for her when she arrived home. She doesn't know it yet, but I've set it for automatic delivery so she'll never be without it. :thumb: I'm going to surprise my Grandma with a special dinner out, because she loves that.
It'll be fun to think up what to do for everyone else.

I'm just so excited that the healing is truly happening rather than it being all in my mind! It's hard to think that a few weeks ago I didn't want to have "so much time" off work but now I really want to make sure I don't go back until I'm truly ready.
 
I've been so worried about you, but I knew you kind of needed your space for awhile, so I haven't pestered you.
Ahhh, @Cynthia777 you've got me pegged! I tend to need the quiet when frustration sets in. All my dearest friends know this about me, you're a keeper! :hugzz:

I've been just thrilled that I got a glimpse at the light at the end of this tunnel. Trying to keep myself from pushing too hard is not my strong suit, but I've learned a great deal.
I am achy today. Sleeplessness has set in the last week or so. It's really a struggle to settle down enough to actually fall asleep. Lying awake in bed gets old so I've taken my ipad in and have been watching tv on that or reading. Kids wake up early yet but let me nap in the mornings.
My skin is just freaking out. All over I am so dry and flaky, no matter what I put on. I know I've read about some of you having this issue too, I just hope it passes soon!
I finally got the courage to measure the incision, it's about 6 inches. I was curious after my visiting nurse said it looked really good considering he read about what they did. I'm not really sure what he meant, we moved off topic before I could ask him if he meant during a THR in general or mine specifically. No worries either way, just a curiosity. I remember asking the surgeon about the approach and where the scar would be. My concern was that "posterior" would mean a scar in the middle of my "cheek"! :heehee:

Off to check in on some of my fellow new hippies, if I don't post on your threads know that I'm keeping an eye and thoughts on you! :angel:
 
Well, I don't blame you one little bit, it's not easy to come on here and read about all the easy recoveries while you're going through the wringer! I'm just so relieved that you're starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel! I'm so happy the kids are more or less "getting it"! Don't tell them too soon that you're doing better because they will hear, "I'm ALL better" and will expect too much out of you. No one can actually see the energy drain you will be experiencing.
Oh dear, the dry skin dilemma! :yikes: I'm almost three months post-op with my second hip and my shins look like Annie Alligator's legs! I just read after showering to moisturizer the legs within six minutes to trap the moisture into the skin. I haven't tried it yet, but will tonight.

Hang in there Sweet Pea, this too shall pass! :loveshwr:
 
Well, here I am on the backslide once again. :bored: I have the butt pain, some groin area pain and even what I would call hamstring pain (back of leg, from under the bottom to about 5 inches above knee) PT was released so I don't know if I'm walking wrong or what. Trying to concentrate on my steps so that I'm not lurching about with the walker in tow. Back hurts some too. I think I'm unwittingly putting more weight on the leg since I'd been told that I can. Although, when I tried while paying close attention, it caused some pain, so I decided it's best to wait a bit yet. I couldn't believe that the pain I have now is from that...it's been 3 days or more. I think I'm also pushing the limits on reaching and such, trying to take a step back to be very cautious. I feel like soon I will turn a corner and feel better, but sitting here in the midst of it is tiresome.

I do try to focus on good things.
My son (he's 9) took my cane for a test drive yesterday. :snork: He said I definitely can go faster with it than the walker. He's such a hoot.
My fingernails are the longest they've been in years!!! It's giving me a bit of trouble typing on the keyboard :heehee: but makes for some fun nail polish looks.
I've been taking daily walks to the backyard patio where I can sit in the sun or get shade. Yesterday I watched a mourning dove build her nest. Flying from the pine tree down to grab one little twig and then back up to the tree, over and over again. There is a huge black walnut tree back there too. The squirrels love to eat them right in the tree so I rarely get any real walnuts from it. It's comical to listen to them crunching and throwing the discards down from the treetop. So that is my daily excitement! I long to work in the garden, soon the fruit market nearby will reopen. This time of year they have perennials at wonderful prices so I usually stock up on a few new additions. I'd so love to add some to the backyard this year as I've worked solely on the front for so long.

Hope everyone is having a good week :thumb:
 
HI @MI Chickie!
The pain you refer to sounds almost identical to what I experienced early during my second THR recovery. I can't remember how many weeks I was post-op before they disappeared, but it was long enough to start me worrying if it would ever get better. Then one day, out of nowhere, the pains just disappeared. You are only one month post-op, so the pain is pretty normal. I would say I saw good improvement at 6 weeks, 2 months and then at 90 days. Hang in there!
Kids say the darndest things! I got such a kick out of your son test driving the cane! :rofsign:

Your backyard sounds so lovely and peaceful! You'll be out gardening in no time. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom