Guest viewing is limited

THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be shy about your pain meds. I was quite vocal about the pain, so they gave me an IV of dilaudid (sp) on top of the oral pain meds. The dilaudid made all the difference in controlling the pain. They sent me home with Percocet (every 4 hours) and morphine ER (extended release tablet) twice a day. This combo worked great once I was past the first three days in the hospital. Just make sure they have your pain med cocktail figured out before you leave the hospital.
 
Today is better. Last night was bad as the night nurse seemed overwhelmed, I had to ask for medsevery time. Seems to be better today, I get norco and toradol with zofran for nausea.
I walked the hallway a bit today and tomorrow will probably tackle the steps. I just have two up to my door at home so not too much.
OS stopped by this morning. Not only was there once fracture in the femur but the post-op x-rays revealed another. He said stay on the walker as long as it takes before trying to move on. Not what I would have wished for but nothing for me to do but heal! He said we'll do a bone density test when I'm healed. Reassured me that we don't need to be worried just take it as it goes.
Everything is a little easier. The most pain is kicking the surgical leg out like when first getting up, and sitting in the chair. Feels like all the muscles are super tight. Anyone else have that?
Thanks everyone for listening!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about the fracture! :-(
I found (early in recovery) that lifting the leg in and out of bed and when I first stood up to be the main times I felt pain. Hopefully they can get your meds figured out so you don't feel much pain.
 
Had an anterior approach left hip replacement, and yes, my leg muscles have and do feel quite tight. Feels amazing to stretch them out from time to time, although for me the stretches can hurt a little bit, but it feels awesome when I'm done.
 
Tight muscles are one of the reasons my gait is suffering! At PT today she spent time basically shoving her fingers into tight muscles all along the top and side of my op leg....hurts but seems to relax them!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Tight muscles are one of the reasons my gait is suffering! At PT today she spent time basically shoving her fingers into tight muscles all along the top and side of my op leg....hurts but seems to relax them!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
Ahhhh YEAH sounds like kind of a deep tissue massage @jomarie !

I get to go home today if I pass PT yay! Doc stopped by again today and was very reassuring, said some doctors give all their patients the 50% restriction so I shouldn't feel bad about it. He wants me on that for four weeks then I can bear weight if it's comfortable.
Most of the pain is under control, the tightness is worse after being in bed for a long stretch. It seems to lessen after a nice walk.
I'm still pretty concerned about the bone density, so I will probably do lots of research on it. Doctor says based on the range of motion I had while getting the catheter in the OR that the right hip will be in the future. We'll look at it in a later follow up.
Can't wait for a shower and to sit in my own chair! But I will take care to not push too hard to pass PT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Great update @MI Chickie! Four weeks of non-weight bearing is an inconvenience, but in the scheme of things four weeks should pass by fairly quickly (remembering the recovery is a "marathon and not a sprint"). How wonderful that your pain is now controlled and you may get to go home today! Prayerfully your bone density test will come back normal. xoxoxo
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 ! It is an inconvenience, I was so hoping for quick recovery time. I caught myself being upset about it a few times but I have decided not to let it deter me from taking good care to recover WELL as quicker doesn't always mean better. Everyone is different. :-)
I made it up and down stairs and the walker is a breeze so I'm just waiting for the paperwork to go though. Then home sweet home!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
So good to read your reports. And you sound like you have the exact right attitude toward recovery. ~ Hope those discharge papers get there soon and you'll be back home in no time. Then......rest, ice, meds, rest...repeat!
Welcome Home!!!
 
Thank you @Nana2-8
I didn't get the handsome nurse today, he really had me spoiled as he'd bring me Coca Colas and was really good about keeping on top of my med schedule. Not that the ladies I have now are bad, just maybe a little less intuitive. The nurse assistant I have is wonderful, helped me get a shower which was just the most fantastic part of my stay! Even though it was on a bench. ;-) overall my stay has been great. But home will be excellent!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Got to sleep in my very own bed last night! :alarm: My pile of pillows worked pretty well!

However, I woke at about 5:30 with severe nausea. Even with taking the zofran just an hour before. Ugh it was terrible :sick:. I detest throwing up. The anesthesiologist had given me a motion sickness patch on the day of surgery, I guess that was making more of a difference than I thought (he said it would last up to 3 days). And it appears those need a prescription here for that..

So made a call to the doc and he suggests a motrin tylenol stack . I on norco 10mg at hospital with both zofran and reglan for nausea. I have to keep in mind that the strongest thing I had pre-op was tramadol, even that I could only take just before bed to deal with the nausea. He says if pain is just not tolerable to call again. So far so good. I'll keep it in check.

Also had some swelling at the incision site, like another hip was growing there. (I may be exaggerating, but it seemed huge.) No redness, leaking or heat coming off tho. Doctor said to keep an eye and definitely ice it. :ice:Probably just a little too much with the ride home yesterday.

It's tough at times to remember that I can't just get right up to get anything I want. :umm:But I am getting around well with the walker.
 
"There's no place like home"! I'm so happy you got some decent sleep last night, as it sure makes recovery a lot more tolerable.

That nausea can be worse than the pain! I had no nausea except when I reached home after my 2nd THR. I took a Percocet without eating three saltines first and within minutes I was heading to the bathroom as fast as my little (well, not little exactly) feet would take me (I up chucked three or four times). From that point on I never forgot to take those saltines again and I never experienced any nausea again. Praying you get that nausea under control pronto!
 
Hey Hey you made it home! It gets so much easier. Well ok the first couple days home are the hardest but it really really gets better after week one or ~day 10. I recall dealing with having to scooch/slide my bad leg out with the good foot before lowering onto the raised potty chair. Keep up on the ice it'll help with the swelling. I'm convinced my incision would've looked better if I'd kept the swelling down as much as possible. I don't know how much you can do with ice, but as far as I know rest, ice & elevation are the best ways to fight it. Oh the nausea sigh.. I recall that too, that I think for me was due to the Norco & slow down of bowel system. You'll figure that one out, what it takes to make things get back to right. Hopefully quick. Enjoy home, the anxious worry & arthritis pain are the past.
 
Good luck to you and just take each day, hour, half hour, minute at a time. Whatever helps with nausea take it as thats one more thing you do not want to contend with. Sleep if you need it. I slept most of the first 3 weeks home but my body was too exhausted to do much of anything.

Wishing you the best.
 
Ugh you poor thing - I really hope that the queasiness disappears soon.

It's tough at times to remember that I can't just get right up to get anything I want.

I think that is what I fear the most - just going to the loo or getting a cuppa tea when I want one. Just thinking about how long is it going to take me to get out of bed to do those things.

Have you got a good set-up in your bedroom?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom