Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you doing Michael? Haven't heard from you in the past few days. Keep up the good work!

I'm doing well, just plugging along in therapy. Added 2.5 pounds of weight to each leg for all my leg exercises which definitely makes the last few a bit harder to do. Other than that went to the grocery on Tuesday by myself and my left leg tried to hyper extend just as I made it past the half way point to getting what I needed, next time I'll get the powered cart no matter how many items I am getting. That has caused a bit more pain in my left leg but nothing that I can't control at this time. Getting around 130 flex on both legs now and 0 extension on my right while my left still needs a bit more work (only 1 degree away).
 
Hi Michael!
You are doing so fantastic. I wonder if it is because you are so young, healthy, and determined? You are my son's age. I won't be sent to out patient physical therapy until I get the prescription from my OS on 9/6. My goal is to bend as well as you do.
Thanks for posting. You keep me motivated! It may take me longer, but I'll get there.
Best to you, my friend!
 
I don't entirely know about the healthy part. With the Rheumatoid Arthritis my body is far from healthy. I'm just stubborn and determined.
 
Hi Michael!
I have half of the formula. :heehee: I can be stubborn. I need to focus on being more determined. Thanks!!!
 
Just be sure to listen to your body and don't overdo it. I kinda overdid it today during my PT session, but mainly it was the cardio that I overdid. I was sick to my stomach when I left PT, though I think it was a combo of eating right before therapy and not really feeling all that well to begin with.
 
Dinners in the oven and I am going to sit back and watch the beginning of college football season. Love me some college football.
 
Dinners in the oven and I am going to sit back and watch the beginning of college football season. Love me some college football.

Sigh. It must be nice to have a local team to cheer on. Things are a little different here in the Keystone State; our best known football team, according to the NCAA, hasn't won since 1998. :hairpulling:
 
Sigh. It must be nice to have a local team to cheer on. Things are a little different here in the Keystone State; our best known football team, according to the NCAA, hasn't won since 1998. :hairpulling:

I wish I were more local than I am for my favorite college team, being that I am from Georgia I am a diehard UGA fan, but I was definitely rooting for Vandy last night cause I just despise Steve Spurrier.
 
My husband LOVES college football, too.
Here's a little bit of college football trivia for you.... Eugene Chung of Virginia Tech is my cousin! (Patriots first round pick.)
 
That's pretty cool, I used to live in Richmond and got to know a ton of people that went to VT. The closest connection I have to anyone in big time football is that Brady Hoke (Michigan's coach) is a family friend.
 
Over the past few days I have been trying to sit in the recliner more than lounging in my bed (which is in the living area anyways). Just trying to get to the point that I can move my bed back to the bedroom and possibly gain a bit more normalcy. Only problem I am having is that it's just hard for me to get too comfortable cause if you lean back just a little bit it goes all the way back, think the recliner in Sweet Home Alabama where Candice Bergen's legs went flying into the air. Maybe I should find some type of weight to attach to the leg to prevent that.

Other than that I have just been enjoying all the football games on TV, my favorite team won today (GO DAWGS, UGA), and have been thinking of my future. I have some opportunities, like returning back to school to get a degree, available to me and am just trying to figure out what I want to do. It'll be January at the earliest before I actually start school if thats the route I take, the only thing that is holding me back is making sure that I will have insurance throughout school. I can't afford the medication I take for my arthritis without it and that would be a horrible thing. Guess I should start looking into what programs are out there to help me and how it will affect my disability. Would really like to get that all figured out before October.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.
 
I hope that school and the insurance issue works out for you. If you go full-time, you may be eligible for insurance through the school. I know that when my kids were in college we always had to sign saying that they were already insured, so we declined the school offered insurance.
I understand the need to feel more normal and trying to get comfortable, and your recliner sounds like it has a mind of it's own! :loll:
 
I just have to check everything before I proceed. Sad that I have to decide what to do just because of health insurance. Hopefully it will all work out though.

And yes, this darn recliner just doesn't cooperate. About to move to the bed for the night though, definitely didn't get the nap that I usually do. But that is because I was watching football.
 
I'm assuming that your recliner is a manual one then? I tried one of those when shopping for a new settee and put the leg flap up while the assistant was off finding some information for me. I was stuck until he got back! Just didn't have the leg strength to push it down!


Mike, it's not necessary to use the "Reply" icon in someone's post to reply, specially when that post is going to be the one right before yours.
Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start writing in the window, okay?

[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
 
Well I quite possibly had my last day of physical therapy today as I am at the 6-week mark and my PT said that I am doing so well they don't expect my doctor to have me continue. Guess it's work on my own from here out, time to join the gym I guess.

Before I headed over for PT today I got a call to confirm my doctor appointment with my OS tomorrow, and then less than 5 mins later, I got another call from them saying that I am being rescheduled for Friday because he has an emergency surgery now scheduled for tomorrow. So now I am going into Nashville tomorrow for my appointment with my Rheumatologist in the afternoon as well as some meetings that I had already scheduled and then will be staying at a friends house rather than driving back and then having to go back over Friday (gas isn't cheap).

Can't wait to hear what the OS has to say. I'm getting around pretty good and my flex is 130+ while my extension is just shy of 0 on my left and i'm actually hyper-extending on my right knee. Talked with both of my PTs about what I should avoid at the gym and they both gave me some guidelines but told me to talk with the OS and get his opinion on what I should do and not do.

I'll update everyone sometime this weekend on what the docs have to say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom