Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, time to get to the update:

My OS was really happy about my progress and said that my ROM is great and that the actual movement of my knees are exceptional. They took new pictures of both knees and he said that everything looked good. I've been cleared to drive and go to the gym, the one thing he told me was that my goal in the gym isn't to lift 400 pounds, it's to lift 1 pound 400 times. They scheduled me to come back in 6 weeks for the NP, but if I am doing good I am to cancel that appointment and schedule my 6 month appointment at that point.

I also saw my Rheumy this week and when his nurse saw me her response was "maybe we should consider doing replacements earlier if patients are going to recover like this". I just said, what a novel idea.

I'm going to try and get a new blog posted this weekend with some more details of my last two days worth of doctor appointments.
 
I wish I were more local than I am for my favorite college team, being that I am from Georgia I am a diehard UGA fan, but I was definitely rooting for Vandy last night cause I just despise Steve Spurrier.

Michael,

I have read many of your postings. I find your story very inspirational. Best wishes on your ongoing progress. Now to college football...my team had a bye this weekend (Boise State), but there were a number of good games all day long yesterday form morning to midnight. Most Boise State fans root for Georgia. Mark Richt is a class act and I enjoyed the Dawgs win on the road over Missouri on Saturday. Georgia looked solid and playing w/o 4 starters bodes well for the team...I think Georgia will win the SEC East.
 
Kinda been discouraged the past few days, but only because I am wanting to get off the pain meds but can't seem to do so. I've tried to alternate tylenol with the oxycodone and then tried the same with ibuprofen and with naproxen but I just can't get comfortable without the oxycodone. I am down to only taking 5mg every 8 hours but would be happy to not be taking it at all or at least only at night.

I know I am only 7 weeks post but I have always been one of those people that do not like taking pain meds, I mean I wasn't taking anything but ibuprofen for years leading up to my surgery. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Oh and I posted a new blog this past week talking about my 6 week check-up (along with a pic of my new knees) and some banter that I had with my PTs. Check it out. https://newkneesat31.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/what-is-normal/
 
I suppose I can understand when people say they don't like taking pain meds only you're not taking them because you 'like' them (I hope!) but because they are doing a job. I think anyone who likes taking meds of any kind needs to seriously assess their motivations. So 'liking' to take them is not the issue - your attitude to it is (and I mean this kindly). Try accepting that these are just a tool enabling your recovery just as much as PT is. And if you find that reducing is leaving you uncomfortable then adjust the concept that you 'need' them to the 'pain needs them' which is the real fact of it. Because the other fact is that at 7 weeks you are still in the early stages of the 'angry tissue' phase of your recovery, quite apart from which, you had both knees done which stretches the time line out a lot. So please don't let yourself get into this guilt trip about 'still' needing to take pain meds. If you were at 12 weeks now and saying that, I'd think perhaps you had a point, but not 7!

We have a saying over here "it's just mind over matter" meaning if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter! I suggest you give that aspect some thought! :wink:
 
I also saw my Rheumy this week and when his nurse saw me her response was "maybe we should consider doing replacements earlier if patients are going to recover like this". I just said, what a novel idea.
I've wondered about this too. You're doing great. As Jo said, don't worry about still needing the pain meds. Remember, the knees are in charge. :) You could see about something less strong at some point, like hydrocodone until you're ready to go OTC. That's what they did for me.
 
Thanks guys, it's just annoying since I have always prided myself on not needing them and now my body is telling me differently. I have to call the doctors office on Monday for a refill anyways so will talk with them and see if they want to try lortabs. I know their rule is they won't give refills after three months so I guess I shouldn't worry until I get closer to that point and can't get off them.
 
If that should occur then go to your GP. It's been my observation on here that they are often accommodating in situations like that.
 
Oh I know my GP will write it, actually all of my refills for pain meds up to this point have came from my GP since I am 1.5 hour drive to my OS and they can't just call in a refill for Oxycodone, got to have the hard copy. My next appointment with my OS is at my 3 month mark so if I am still needing them I will go to that appointment and we will discuss. Hopefully I won't be needing them and will be able to manage with just OTC meds.
 
Right--cross that bridge when (if) you come to it.
 
Josephine, I wish more TKRs would take your words to heart. They would save themselves a lot of angst AND needless pain. My pain needed the prescription meds, and when it didn't anymore my brain forgot to remind me I needed to take them!
 
The past week has been alright. It all started with me heading to Nashville to attend a foundation party for one of the Nashville Predators coaches. Before I went to the party I stopped by the doctors office and picked up a fresh prescription for pain meds which they gave with no question.

The foundation party was nice, it was the first time that I have gotten out for a dressed up party since my surgery. I even had to get my slacks let out since I gained 1.5 inches from my surgery. After the foundation I headed to the studio to record me and my friends weekly radio show. This was our first time in the studio doing the show and we had a great time.

With all that excitement I stayed in town with a friend for the next few nights as we also had an event planned for the show on Tuesday night. By the time Wednesday came around I was worn out and ready to get home. Since then I have just been lounging around trying to catch back up while still doing my exercises.

I haven't made it into town yet to get a gym membership, but plan on doing so soon. Probably best since I haven't quite been feeling like I want to go to the gym (I really miss having to go to PT 3 times a week to push me), but I think a lot of that was because I was trying to cut back on my pain meds. I am currently letting my body tell me when I need to take sometime. Sometimes it is 6 hours sometimes it is 8 or more, but I am not letting myself suffer because "I want to be taking less". Thanks to all who told me to stop being stubborn and to let my body make that decision.
 
Congratulations on your continued success, Michael!

Hmm... 1.5 inches. I got taller too but I didn't need to get my pants lengthened. I must either be lucky, a bad dresser, or had really lousy tailors. :)
 
Well yesterday was 10 weeks and it also marked another exciting point post-surgery. Up until now I have been doing most of my poker writing from home and haven't been on the road to cover an actual poker tournament since late last year. Well yesterday I negotiated a deal to get back on the road, starting in 2 weeks. I wasn't really looking to get back out there, and not really this soon but the opportunity arose and I am just jumping in full force. Hope I am ready to do this.

As for how I am actually doing....well I am doing well. Have changed from Percocets to just lortabs and am only taking them every 12 hours but not really on a schedule. I'm not feeling as worn down after a day of running around in town so that is definitely good news. I was about to join a gym but with me going to be on the road 4 of the next 6 weeks I just figured that I can use the hotel/casinos gym and get my exercise in. Once I get through this initial few weeks I can possibly join a gym so that I am able to get my workouts at home.
 
Michael,
It is great to see how far you have come. You are definately an inspiration, the way you have attacked getting your knees back shows someone who will succeed regardless of the obsticles thrown in front of you. Good luck on your upcoming travels.
 
Thanks everyone, I am working just as surprised but know that I still have a ways to go. The new position I have been offering is going to be stressful and I will be up and down doing lots of walking for 3 days straight and then the fourth day I get to sit down and stare at screens all day. Going to be nice to get back out there but I expect I will be feeling it after that first trip. Luckily I will have 2 weeks to recover before heading back on the road for three weekends in a row.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom