• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR MEPil on the recovery side

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
United States United States
A question: I am finally off all medicine I was prescribed after surgery and have transitioned to Tylenol, since taking all this, I've noticed my tummy just isn't normal, just a yucky feeling a lot of the time. Is this normal? Appetite is ok but not eating a lot.

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
@leejaa thank you, I hope the yucky feeling leaves soon, not pleasant.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @MEPil
This is a common complaint. You're not alone. Surgery related meds can be rough on our digestive system often leaving us feeling mildly nauseous and without much of an appetite. Make sure to stay adequately hydrated. If Ginger or Peppermint Tea sound appealing, you may find sipping on one or the other soothing.

Try small meals and eat more frequently. Protein is important as it helps repair muscle damage by regenerating tissue and speeding up wound healing. I'll leave some Protein snack suggestions below with the hope a few may sound appetizing -

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

I hope you have a nice weekend!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What medication were you taking and when did you stop it? Did you stop suddenly or ease off your medication?

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
@Layla thank you, we need to do a bit of stocking up on some of these.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
You may be having slight withdrawal symptoms from coming off Hyrocodone. Hang in there! It all needs to work out of your system.

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
@Jaycey never thought of that, I do know I hate the lifeless feeling they give me, sleepy and brain fog feelings. Thank you for mentioning that.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Everyone reacts differently to medication. I can't take any of the opioids as they make me horridly ill. But we often see members who come off these drugs fairly quickly have side effects. Nausea and lack of appetite are very common. Try the small snacks as Layla suggested and lots of fluids. Ginger ale was always my home remedy for that yucky feeling.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
How are you doing these days, MEPil?
Hope you're feeling more energized and stronger with each passing week.
Wishing you a great Wednesday! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@MEPil

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
@VSlowLife strength better but sore and numbness hanging on in side of thigh and upper leg. Keep wondering how long will it last and should I be worried about it still being with me. I guess question is, is it still normal at 6 weeks? Thank you for checking on me.

OP
OP
MEPil

MEPil

senior
Country
@Layla better, still tired a lot and not the energy I could use for sure, still soreness and numbness in thigh area, it's week 6 and I'm a slow healer, I guess. Still using cane more than I'd like, can walk without it in the house for awhile then get tired and the limp starts so grab my cane. Just so ready to be well. Thanks for checking on me.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @MEPil :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Numbness, soreness and energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

You're only six weeks post op from major surgery so what you're experiencing is within the realm of "normal" recovery complaints.

Check out the Activity Progression for THR again below and see how you feel your progress compares. Obviously you need to be moving and getting in some walking which may help to energize you, but not to excess, it's a balancing act for sure. I loosely followed the guidelines below to stay on track somewhat and avoid overdoing it and stalling my recovery.

Hope you have a good day!

leejaa

supremo
Country
It takes a while to get rid of all the odd aches/pains etc. I remember this part from the first hip. I try to count my blessings along the way and progressions along the way. I get excited that I can sit on a chair without an extra cushion, I made scrambled eggs, I made soup for dinner. I try to focus on the little victories of regaining some everyday life controls - like showering without supervision the first time. We do have progressions when we consider it. Of course, still frustrating that it is not all over and behind us. My long term goal is spring time- I figure by then I will feel tons better and hopefully able to plant some veggies and flowers to enjoy. It is winter here in upstate NY so it is easier to bear the restrictions. Hang in there, we will get back to normal but we have to deal with our bodies which too often have a mind of their own on the speed - maybe our bodies are wiser than our brains that want it all now. Have a nice day. I am probably extra cheerful today because the sun is shining.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pennysmom
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom