THR Me2 and Recovery

OMG @Me2 on whatever you call that reverse knee thing on the floor like a youngin'....
I haven't done that since about age 21.
Very impressive, YOU!!!! I am so jealous.
I guess it would take two new knees to be able for me to do that.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Me2
Yup!! Pretty sure there's no way on god's green earth I can sit like that yet, Sheryl! Look at you go!!!
 
Five month ago! Really, five months ago, I had just finished my first day with two bionic hips! And, less I forget, in just 17 days, I will be celebrating ONE YEAR, and I really can say that I do forget that my left hip EVER hurt . . . I do forget that my left hip is bionic, not quite a "forgotten hip" yet, but . . . . I can totally confirm that each person, each hip's recovery is so different!

So, right hip . . it feels almost perfectly natural. Along with sitting on my feet as above, mount and ride Storm (horse), form and perform a "number 4" and 5, 6, 7, and 8 (that was one of my top goals along with horse back riding), cross my legs like a "lady," walk and walk some more, dance with my kids, move quickly/not quite run but enough to catch my grandson who was testing me on this at the playground on Friday) and so, so much more. Well, I can do all this so long as the old back cooperates! :groan: :rotfl::groan::egypdance::dancy: :groan::happydance::curtsey:
 
Ok, I am so proud of you!
You are, and should be, an inspiration to all who are looking to do one hip replacement.
And you have done two!
Many of us are going to have to deal with both hips, and here you are done and dusted!
(As they say in the UK). Ha... I like that. :heehee:
I also relate to the back (grrrr!). Is there a back forum like this, do you know?
xo
 
Also, brief update on back --- back is up and down and all around. Technically speaking, pain is anywhere from 1 to 6. I feel like I sometimes have pain amnesia as when its not hurting I feel like such a hypochondriac and wus. Then, like tonight, I have had quite a leisurely weekend, done all my stretches and exercises, swimming, and expecting my usual Sunday night pain free, and I am hurting worse than ever. :oyvey::tantrum2::hairpulling: Just when I think I have it all figured out and on the road to a wonderful ever after. So, just a quick update on what I've done (besides stretches and core exercises) . . .
  • back in mid February, Dr. S (Original hip doc) said hips are looking good, did back xray, said back really looks awful and referred to
  • Dr. N (back doctor) who ordered MRI and said back bad bad not anyway surgery repair and offered to do lumbar injection in the office which didn't sound right to me;
  • saw Dr. K an osteopath who did third manipulation appointment which did not have same good effects of first two. I asked him about lumbar vs. si joint injection, and he said either would be good as my problem as far as he could tell was more SI joint but lumbar and disc, too. Unlike hip injections which need to be injected into joint and hopefully stay there to help, the back and SI joint injections can and will affect both areas??
  • went to appointment with Dr. P who is the physicist (pain doctor) who was reluctant, because of both hips being replaced, to do "all" the typical tests he would do to check what is causing pain but felt certain that my severe pain was more related to SI joint so therefore suggested, and I scheduled a SI joint inspection for next Tuesday (25 March) which when I allow myself to think even a little bit about is putting me into panic mode as it is done in same OR where I had surgery and for some reason I am having unreasonable fear reaction
  • meanwhile also had a consult with Dr. M a back doctor who said that I really should have L3, L4, L5, S1 all fused in 4 hour surgery with GA -- yea, right on GA --- :shocked:;
  • so, in my usual get three "estimates" for anything big, I have appointment with another back doctor on Friday that my osteopath primary care Dr. K usually refers to.
  • Unless I have some other miracle recovery period I do plan on doing the SI joint injection if just to fix in my mind whether that was somehow responsible for the pain free period October thru December.
The one statement ALL of these guys have said is, like so many here have said, "you do realize that you will always have back pain that will flare up" This is really hard for me as I feel I dealt with my hips this way for so long and worked so hard to avoid medical/surgical "fixes" and I finally did the surgeries to such truly amazing results and NOW I have to go back to the "Oh, just accept and deal with the back pain, its not ever going to go away, just find ways to deal with it!" I guess even similar to when I first complained to my family doctor that I was having such groin/hip/back pain from 2006-10, and he just hurumphed and hurumphed. Then the original hip doctor I saw sometime in 2009-10 said "Oh, your hips are just awful and are bone on bone and that's why you have such pain but you are much too young at 50 and should try to hold out for at least 5 if not 10 years!" Never suggested injections and refused to order physical therapy. Oh, well, sorry for the whine -- just a wee bit of pity party. . . .
So, @sfbionicat50 , what results are you having from your injections? Any reason why your doctor had you discontinue anti-inflammatory meds? My hip guy had prescribed and has me taking one now since mid-February which might be helping since pain has lessened considerably for the most part. I really do need to do more researching on injection and find out exactly whats what.

@MajorHeidi -- yep, done and dusted, and little dusty, too! I have been looking for a forum for backs like this one but it seems there are so many of us here who have back issues. But, it is hit and miss. I read through many of the threads and see that, oh yeah, they have back issues too. I was very much opposed after reading here and there and everywhere to avoid back surgery but then was at the gym and overheard conversation from lady who had had back surgery 6 months ago and was planning her Alaska tour to include glacier climbing and snow hikes and was just so celebrating how good and pain-free she felt.
 
Okay, again enough whining, this is an anniversary celebration!!! How else do others celebrate that one year anniversary? I'm thinking I want to schedule skydiving on April 2! Maybe not in France but . . . I can't get a passport that fast!
 
not sure why your posts randomly show up in my email, but sometimes they do, so Hello and Happy Anniversary!!!!!! sorry about your back, but glad the hips are treating you right! So I'm not at my one year yet, but we are headed to Colorado tomorrow for some spring skiing (first try on the hip). I have been thinking of playing a little basketball to celebrate one year.
good luck with your back, looks like you are going thorough a logical progression in getting it checked out
Peace!
 
@Me2 You are diligent at getting a good consensus of what ails you. I applaud you for doing
all that 'legwork'.
I hope the March 25th appt goes well, and is valuable for you.

My anniv. is coming up April 10. I guess I should plan some celebration of maybe just some champagne may do....
We are going to a Nascar race the following weekend, so that should be fun.

Keep us posted.
 
@Me2 Hi Sheryl
Just catching up...been MIA for some weeks..,had bad fall....ok now but sent me into a complete downward spiral. On the way up
Again now......but wanted to comment about back surgery. Sorry you are having trouble too. Just commented on @Dmcfad2
Post as Debbie suffering too.
I had spinal surgery....bilateral discetomy & decompression some years ago. Within 6 weeks I was back to work full time with no pain .....no ill effects from the op....and was an Estate Agent so was in & out of office 10/15 times a day......it was an absolute triumph of an op....I spent 2 years in agony & went in as an emergency as some bone debris was threatening to cut off the nerves in my legs & paralysis them. I've had back pain issues over the years but that's due now to advancing age.....but have never regretted it. To me, and I know it's not everyone's experience....it was a very easy recovery. I've found the THR much more challenging, physically & mentally.
However, do try a chiropractor...they can help enormously to get everything back where it should be! Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny
So appreciate the positive feedback that it IS possible for success with back problems. I am at a frustrating point with this in that
  • My back felt so great for the 8 weeks after second hip -- the rest of me was exhausted but I was comfortable with the "recovery" issues since no pain with no drugs.
  • Now, I'm getting the oops, haha -- the "world" was just kidding that I could be "pain free"
  • Followed by the avoid surgery at all cost because of permanent limitations
I so appreciate some information of real positive outcome of resolving back pain!

On the other hand @MajorHeidi I sometimes (especially the moments when back feels okay) feel like I'm just TOO
diligent at getting a good consensus of what ails you
. I just don't want to put off feeling great -- I've wasted too many years already avoiding life trying to deal with hip issues. I want to enjoy a few years before I get really really old :old: :rotfl:
 
Saw another back surgeon and so done with wow you really have all THIS going on with back. Nah, can't fix it no hope of ever fixing it besides you aren't in nearly enough pain. Wait til it gets worse. Much worse. ?????

So done. A few drinks didn't help.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sheryl, what can I say? I'm so sorry about your back issues. Yes, we just want to be pain free. I feel I have aged ten years in the last year. It really wreaks havoc with my psyche. I just feel so old and decrepit. Still walking with a cane after a year just to help alleviate the pain. Yikes. I am thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way!
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Me2
@Me2 I think I have posted previously but I have on-going back issues. Yes, it's a mine field trying to find the right road to follow. If I had it to do over again I am not sure I would have had my decompression surgery. It just didn't work for me. Also had 2 caudal epidural injections but they were only temporary.

Core stability exercises (I am not good at keeping up with these) and osteopath plus acupuncture worked (somewhat). Bottom line, just keep moving. Sitting for long periods is not good for a bad back. I have posture cushions on most of the chairs I use regularly. Also have a "Back Friend" (find on any search engine) that really helps to calm a sore back at the end of a long day. It's a roller coaster for sure. Hope things settle for you!
 
Ew I did post the other night . . . I was hoping it was just part of a bad night memory . . .

I have a few minutes that I have to sit quietly on computer while kids falling asleep -- I have one who keeps escaping from his mat and feeling his duty to wake everyone else. But I posted something that I want to remember for me when I need it .

Remember to breathe .... after all that's all we really HAVE to do
Remember this pain is NOT going to last forever ..... we will feel better
Remember to cherish those lucid feel better moments . . .
Remember to combine those moments and you'll have two! and maybe even three!

:friends:We can do this, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

[Bonesmart.org] day 2 post op
 
Latest back doctor went into much further detail than others about all the reasons my back is so painfully icky. His message was a little more depressing especially since he is young guy who was in our local papers as coming from John Hopkins for last 10 years, and he has a pocket full of new latest and greatest. He pointed out (my terminology, not his, I need medical report in writing for terms) that L5 is slipped forward, coccyx area appears "cloudy" either from inflammation or just arthritis, L5-L1 are funky, with disks showing uneven wear (squished on one side but just flattened on the other), and something right at top of MRI, which he is not comfortable with but most likely just more of the same arthritis in back. But, no, probably don't really need another MRI, until we see how injection goes this week . . . he'd rather see lumbar injection than a SI joint injection. He doesn't for see surgery (good news, bad news) as ever particularly helpful at any point as damage is over whole spine and I'd lose too much range of motion.

So PT and injections for now. And, thanks @Jaycey , get back to "enjoying" core stability exercises and its a really good thing I really like my osteopath. . . I'm going to look up that "back friend"

I guess the really scary part for me, or another scary part, is that I mentioned that swimming doesn't even really help me "feel better" as it had been for the last couple of years, and that if I was being honest, sometimes made back ache worse. He said that yea, from the looks of back, there would come a time when I would not even be able to swim! :thud: I didn't dare ask about riding.

So . . .Friday I was very sad and scared ........ but now I'm just feeling like I better really get out and enjoy what I have NOW!!! :swim::fasthorse::biking::bicycle2::surfer::running::biking::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::swim:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Me2, I am having surgery tomorrow morning (anterior, THR) and was reading through your thread a bit. Just wanted to ask if any of your physicians have ever suggested radio frequency ablation ("RFA") for any of your back issues? I had it done to my lower back 4 years ago and it actually scars/burns the nerves so the nerves do not transmit pain to the brain. It sounds ghastly but it hurts only for a moment, I had mine done by my physiatrist and it was one of the best things I could ever have done for myself. I still have some back pain, and may need some other RFA treatments, but well after I have healed from surgery as it is not clear that it is from my back which is full of arthritis, my hips and/or fibromyalgia. In any event, it is an excellent therapy if it is appropriate for you. (I also am surprised that someone suggested you fuse a number of discs together, I didn't even know that surgery is done these days with microsurgery and arthroscopic surgery, but I am not a dr.) I think I might stop at your thread, you reported so well on your recovery! I look forward to posting how I am doing and only pray that it goes well for me. Take care!
 
What kind of an injection will you be getting? Is it cortizone? I am scheduled for an MRI of my lower back on the 30th of this month. I have never had back problems. This is all new to me. My lower back has been bothering me a lot for the last month. I think it's because I'm still limping. I hope you get some relief!
 
Debbie @Dmcfad I'm scheduled for a SI joint injection on Wednesday -- apparently a combination of steroid and anti-inflammatory. Unfortunately, this is same back pain that I had hoped was part of hip issues but probably knew was not. Its been around for years, but as a part of all the other hip pain. I guess it is part of hip stuff as its just more of the osteoarthritis. I'm just having problems with there being no "fix" no "solution" except to keep working on exercises and keeping in shape and injections. I also have appointment with new PT place as I still haven't found PT that works for me. And another appointment with osteopath for adjustment. Unfortunately, I just don't have time for 9-5 doctors and therapy, etc.

@chalcedonian1 Best wishes on your surgery day! How kind of you to take time on your Surgery Eve! :flwrysmile: I do appreciate your compliments on my recovery thread and hope your hip recovery is even smoother than mine -- it is so good! Just be patient and try to enjoy this time to take care of you. :friends: I will be looking up this RFA you write of. Thanks again!
 
Not enough time this morning to write just how wonderful but . . .

I had SI joint injection yesterday....I could not believe that just as soon as it was done I could feel the huge difference! I asked if that was possible as I don't remember getting that result last year but then I still had right hip issues, I guess. :happydance::egypdance::dancy:

I stopped half way home to do a lap around local mall just to check and I found myself smiling and thinking happy thoughts totally unrelated to pain----that is pain free!

They did warn, and I know, that this "honeymoon" is just the local anesthesia and we will have to wait a couple of days for full result but it is the "diagnostic" part . . . maybe maybe there is a solution or at least a hope for Sheryl yet!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom