THR Me2 and Recovery

Oh grand whilst lacking in intelligence and grace I.do consider my self a.gent. As to whine is that whine.or wine. Whilst I know.alot about wine I.used to do talks on.the subject. As far as.whine I'm.more of a.whine sponge always have been.even at uni.and unlike my.hair quantity it hasn't changed. Oh also good at holding those reins of those run away.horses although I would probably stand in.the horses pattercakes

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Sheryl @Me2 Here's a pic of "that" stretch.... I'm short, my bed's high... it's challenging enough!! and you can always cut straight to the wine:rotfl:
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery

On a serious note it's purported to help with lower back pain too... I must say my back is a bit better, improving as the psoas improves - minutely and slooooooowly:loll:but improving. Mind you the weather is with me and I am swimming a lot which loosens things up. I am so "with you" on the nothin' new front, wishing for the miracle... wake up pain free and able to make the number 4... STILL eluding me, though not quite as completely, and you only really need it to do stretches and such - there's work-arounds for the fun stuff:wink:
This is the link to this stretch and another useful psoas stretch (that you probably know already) worth a try :cool:

Stay safe in the snow; though you maybe shouldn't listen to me - or I should heed my own advice... I got sunburned on Australia Day (Monday) after drilling into my kids for thirty years that there's no such thing as a healthy tan, and there's no excuse for not "slip slop slapping" (our National sunsafe message, "slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, slap on a hat"):nah:I do go brown, so I don't look careless... more Italian! It's been HOT HOT HOT and the next week is going to be HOT HOT HOT as well, we've had no rain... not a drop for months, none of that on the horizon either... enjoy your "powdery" snow:cheers:
 
I did it!. We took a wonderful fabulous winter ride!
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


Conditions were absolutely perfect! About 4 inches snow cover, good deep freeze, then a snow storm for another 4-5 inches snow fluff! AND on a Sunday!

Oh, Jena, (and any other riders) @Meggzie both legs worked! It was truly truly amazing --- I didn't even know my Storm knew how to be guided with legs! I haven't been able to "hold on" with legs in forever! I didn't even know I couldn't; Before first surgery I couldn't get past the pain of getting on the horse. And this was such an amazing difference even from last surgery! My newer hip leg is not nearly as strong as new hip, but strong enough! Wow! Absolutely nothing fancy but I can see by our summer .. . . .:fasthorse:

To my Aussie friends -- enjoy your warm weather, but I'll take the snow! (Except for the icy rain/sleet today!)

Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love it! Beautiful picture and beautiful scenery. So glad you're able to ride a horse!
 
Sheryl @Me2 you are my inspiration to keep pushing myself forward! Thanks so much for sharing this victory.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so happy for you Sheryl, @Me2 It looks amazing... and I'm with you; I'll take the snow:loll:I like the warm weather well enough... but at the moment it's HOT - and we've had two days of thunderstorms 36C+thunderstorms= :censored: that snow looks lovely light and fluffy - thing is it doesn't look WET (I think I discussed before how my son, who was born here, was surprised when he went on his first skiing holiday in New Zealand to discover that snow is WET :heehee:)

It's great that "both legs work", it means you don't have to go round in circles any more:loll: It must feel so much better being able to just ride and not think about hanging on without settling into the saddle, or being worried about the pain shooting up your leg when you try to turn, Fabulous:happydance:

Keep livin' the dream :loveshwr:
Donna
 
Whst a fabulous winter wonderland picture Sheryl @Me2
A pleasure to see you looking so relaxed & happy!
And Donna @craftdee Any extra sunshine you don't want please send over here.....no snow...but very cold...need some rays.

Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh Sheryl! I'm crying here! I absolutely KNOW the joy you felt! Being able to really sit around the horse, rather than the awkward perching on top we used to do. And to have BOTH hips flexible to allow you to use more leg than rein to guide the pony....just breathtaking! I had a brief glimpse of it - and I just couldn't believe how good it was!

If only I had landing pad like yours, maybe I wouldn't be back in countdown mode...but I am, and there it is. I see my surgeon next Wednesday for my 6 week review. I should be getting the verdict on weightbearing (and I'm just about convinced I'll get a green light there), and I'll be asking the all important question about returning to riding. I'm sure I will, it's just when....I have a feeling that it will be 6 months post surgery. So watch this space for an early July riding photo from me ( pending surgeon approval):horseriding: If only it would snow like that here....the best I can expect is slightly crunchy, frosty ground in July....nothing soft. I had better find me a reliable horse between now and then!

I am SO happy that you've had such a beautiful return to the saddle, long may it continue, my friend.:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just checking in to see if I need to get out my iron skillet again but it looks like you're living life with gusto!!

That's my girl! Happy Valentine's Day!

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning all ...... an update for my four month anniversary of newer hip.

But first, @beachgal, I am so happy for you and your real reality. Achieving those goals, carrots, end of the rainbow dreams, are just so awesome! A walk in Paris, how absolutely lovely, I'll tiptoe over to your thread to see if we have some lovely pictures? So, so happy for you :loveshwr: Unfortunately, I may need you to ready that skillet once more. Do some arm welding exercises, too, so that you can hit hard enough.:oyvey:

Jena @Meggzie I am holding on to a printed version of your last message to get me thru. I do know that I am "back in the saddle" and you will be, too. It will be good. Time does pass, and we have learned so much patience. July will be here. :fasthorse: We will be healthy, whole, and one with a horse again. Finding your new mount will happen and it will be perfect.

Donna @craftdee , yea, no more circles for me on the horse. But, you know, I sure feel like my real "hippie" life is one big circle. Or maybe like this guy, just when I think I get to the top of that mountain :climb: , look out and see the view I get :bricks:.

But, for the hip update -- I think its utterly fantastic! I was in to see surgeon on Tuesday, and he thinks so too. Hip moves great: I can sit criss cross, I can do that wonderful #4 position both sides easy peasy. I've still some work to do getting strength back, the leg is definitely weaker than left and where I feel it should be for four months. I still get a little pinch now and again in the groin. I still have sore spot on top outside of hip/thigh. As the surgeon said, my numb area is probably mine forever, but then again it may not be. But, as the surgeon said, just 'cause hip good, does not mean I don't have other problems and "arthritis is strong within" me, Sheryl! (He's a Star Wars buff.) He did reassure me that second hip needed done, and along with Jena @Meggzie words above, I am doing my best to banish thoughts that getting it done was not unnecessary. (Here is one spot I need that frying pan) And then we went on to discuss the back issues.:sad:

:cry::sorry::what::unsure::flabber::bawl::chinstroke::shrug:
​
And then the nasty PTSD stuff is making its appearance along with a few panic attacks. Have to finish later.
 
Well Sheryl @Me2 Firstly it's FABULOUS that your new hip is 'fantastic' .... I still can't get the number 4 :cry: it's sort of 3.5 now :rotfl: You may have to 4 for me for a while :heehee: My physio did say last week that I may never get my ROM back, which was a bummer, but I'm learning to live with it. My leg is a bit weak too, and not where I was expecting it to be at four months... I have stopped doing the strengthening exercises as they aggravated the tendinitis... which was never on the plan, so I probably should readjust my expectations of where it "should" be at four months:chinstroke:

I still have those "shoulda left it" moments, I KNOW the hip was "stuffed", that's the word the OS used so I KNOW... but "FEELING" it is not the same; I am such a wuzz when it comes to making decisions, I second guess myself all the time... my hubby reckons the best one-liner he ever heard describes me to a T "I'm really indecisive... or am I?" :loll: So making the decision to have surgery was a biggie for me, and I needed a 100% positive result to "justify" it to myself... when I read your post I'm reading that it's the same for you.... getting that less than stellar result makes you doubt the value of it... but you have also said that your hip is "fantastic", so having your hip done was clearly the right decision. What it hasn't done - for you or me - is solve the "other issues" that OA brings. The dream of being pain free and fully mobile still feels as elusive as ever.

Psychologically I've been affected much more than I was anticipating too; obviously as the biggest hurdle was my inability to commit to surgery once I did and had the op I was rapt!! It's been since that I have felt somehow frail or damaged, vulnerable. By what and to what I have no idea :shrug: that's just the word that whispers in my brain some nights when I am in pain... not necessarily with the hip... and realize that this THR was not a panacea for my health issues, that there's other "stuff" to deal with and I'm tired. too tired:tiredwheel:

I don't have the will. BUT that's really unfair to the THR! It's done what it said it would on the can, well not quite for me yet, hopefully it will, but it's given YOU the freedom of your riding again, that's a big plus! I chased my grandtwins around a playground the other day, it wasn't exactly lithe - bit like a nearly 56 year old with tendiniits :rotfl: - but it was way more than I could have done pre op. I have some decisions to make about other bits of me too... fusions are the only real option for the DDD, I may go there later... when I'm stronger, mentally, and am prepared to accept that these procedures may offer LIMITED improvement. Which may by then be plenty. I will not be doing the toe fusiion anytime soon... I need those heels :tada:

I seriously am so sorry that your PTSD is rearing it's head, it is so depleting. As you know I have suffered from Depression for many years, it is the single most difficult condition I deal with, so I really DO feel your pain - but all I can offer is hugs :console2: I am not feeling depressed at the moment, but I keep waiting for it to hit, weird :what: It's like in the past things like the problems I'm having with my recovery, while not enough on their own, would combine with the stress of the pre op anxiety, the surgery itself and the difficulties of the early post surgery phase and tip me into the abyss... why isn't happening now.... yet! Geez I don't want it to happen, dark places are NOT my favourite :dubious: with any luck it's gone forever and your PTSD and panic attacks are keeping it company:yahoo:

Keep in touch
Donna :flwrysmile:
 
I have felt somehow frail or damaged, vulnerable. By what and to what I have no idea :shrug: that's just the word that whispers in my brain some nights when I am in pain... not necessarily with the hip... and realize that this THR was not a panacea for my health issues, that there's other "stuff" to deal with and I'm tired. too tired:tiredwheel: I don't have the will.

Yep, that's about it. When I felt so good for the first two months, I thought I was home clear. SUCCESS was mine - I was the bionic woman! Then, wham, oh, yeah, dummy, you felt good cause you spent 12 hours a day in the recliner! Then, you thought you were home clear but no :bricks: I spent the next weeks sitting at computer playing catch up and wonder why oh why. :banghead: . Just when I thought I could do this :nah:I get hit with :gaah:flu then pneumonia :dead:. Pneumonia is worse then both recoveries and all the pain before combined . . . . every breath was a decision; every move .. . .

Anyway, I'm struggling but climbing out from under. Never been one to get depressed but panic is mine . . . I woke up about 2 a.m. with the total fear and panic related to first surgery totally blindsided me. I will gladly send it to join your depression somewhere far, far away.

Anyway, let's think positive ---:curtsey:---- I'm getting the lower back MRI on Tuesday. Hopefully followed by a good visit with back doctor to see what's going on. I may need a cervical MRI to see what's up there and why shoulders are keeping me awake. Starting to find some really good information about good exercises, what I need to look for in therapy/exercise person, what to look for with chiropractic/osteopathic manipulations, and finally what's new in surgeries to help me know what's ahead. I didn't think I could ever do hip surgeries but I did -- and it was not so bad -- and so wildly helpful. But, knowing that, it does make it hard to just say its acceptable to have or that I have to live with this much pain with my back. Some of the new laser surgeries to clean up look promising. I use to think the only real options on hips (recovery and post-op range of motion and restrictions) were not what I was willing to do but finally started seeing new techniques with hip surgery.
fusions are the only real option for the DDD, I may go there later... when I'm stronger, mentally, and am prepared to accept that these procedures may offer LIMITED improvement.
No, fusions don't sound so helpful and so invasive for what they get you. BUT . . . :SUNsmile:'

It is a sub-zero but beautiful fresh snowy day here in Pittsburgh. :yes:
 
Oh dear Sheryl @Me2 So, sorry that you are struggling with back issues.......after all that with the hips....just glad that your hips are doing well. Sorry too about your PTSD....that's so hard to deal with. Do hope the panic doesn't rear its ugly head again .

Couldn't have put it any better than @craftdee (she put it soooo eloquently) frail, damaged & just too tired to deal with any Other issues that keep constantly popping up is exactly how I'm feeling.

However, I may be the lucky one, but I had an emergency bilateral discectomy (pieces of bone debris lodged on nerves serving my legs threatened to leave me permanently disabled) and decompression a number of years ago....within 7 weeks I was back to work (group manager for estate agency so was on my feet most of the day) I made an extremely good recovery with very little pain....just some residual numbness from my knee to foot. It proved to be a godsend to me...my THR recovery has been so much more fraught....however it is now great with little pain that side.

My other hip, knee are very painful at the moment too....and will both need replacing....I was interested in your comment re your shoulders as mine are really painful too .....I have a gall bladder full of stones.....they won't operate as they are very small stones which they say filter out themselves....but the pain & General unwell feeling is nasty too. After my THR I had about 5 months where I felt quite well otherwise but think my body is conspiring against me now. Some days I feel so low I can't be bothered to do anything and that's just not how I am usually. Anxiety, pain & depression I expect.

This site is such a godsend because it makes me feel not so 'abnormal'.

Do let us know how you get on Tuesday....will be thinking of you...Chrissie xx




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sheryl @Me2 -- Looks like I'm right there with you on the back pain and anxiety. I don't get panic attacks, but I do get overly anxious, obsessive about aches and pains, etc. My MRI is scheduled for Friday with the physiatrist appointment right after. Thank you for reminding me that there can be hope. I had so convinced myself that the news would be bad. Re what Donna @craftdee said about realizing that THR is the not panacea for one's health issues. That's so true for me too. I keep telling myself that pain is a great motivator for me to transform body into something strong and supple that will thrive in my 60s, 70s, and 80s. But, I feel like I'm constantly beating back the fear that I'll always be in pain. In the end, it feels like that's the real struggle -- how to live joyfully despite the obstacles. Your posting on the horse is really an inspiration for me. Thanks so much for reminding me that my life can't be on hold while I go from one obstacle to another. I have to figure out how to live a full and happy life.
 
But first, @beachgal, I am so happy for you and your real reality. Achieving those goals, carrots, end of the rainbow dreams, are just so awesome! A walk in Paris, how absolutely lovely, I'll tiptoe over to your thread to see if we have some lovely pictures? So, so happy for you :loveshwr: Unfortunately, I may need you to ready that skillet once more. Do some arm welding exercises, too, so that you can hit hard enough.:oyvey:

My iron skillet is out, I've been working my upper body since I've had to scale back a bit on the leg/hip stuff so I can supply said "knock in the head" at any given time. No notice needed.

Snap out of it, girl! Seriously, I know you are dealing with so much more than most of us can imagine, but you CAN DO THIS!!!
 
You are so brave to be awake! I have the spinal and I like being numb after surgery. Can't pee so they put a cathater in which is nice so you don't have to get up so soon. It sounds like you did great right after your surgery.
 
@bobbi No, I'm absolutely not brave to be awake. I needed to be as awake and aware as possible -- All the parts I was awake for first surgery were okay. It was the parts I couldn't remember that still are causing me the PTSD issues. Even being as awake as I was second surgery there are things my mind loves to go nuts on. You mention catheter -- actually first surgery that was a surprise for me. Someone forgot to mention that little detail. But, I "woke up" when they were putting it in, and I was fine with it. Somehow, even though I was awake for whole second surgery, they had blue sheets over me so I couldn't see and I somehow missed this part (dozing with fytenol?) and my mind goes and plays with it? The mind (at least mine) is crazy.

@craftdee and @beachgal . .. ... I know, I'm just having a bit of trouble dealing with that for so long I kept saying my back was the very most painful. I saw so many doctors for "second opinions," and they kept saying that my back was fine just get the hips done, and I'd be "healed." I do have to remember my hips do feel wonderful which enables me to do so much more than I could do last year this time. I had 8 weeks after surgery of feeling wonderful, and I truly thought my back troubles were over.

So......I had the MRI on Tuesday and have Friday appointment with the back doctor. So, @sfbionicat50 , looks like we'll both be getting some answers, or at least some information on Friday. :fingersx:

You all are so right . . . I can do this . . . we can do this. :console2:
 
Hiya!!! Well it's been way too long since I've been on here - life has a way of taking over!! I wont bore you with all the details here - I'll clog up my thread with all of the hum-drum.:heehee:

So sorry that you have issues beyond the hips - and like Donna said...

realize that this THR was not a panacea for my health issues, that there's other "stuff" to deal with

And man oh man, wouldn't it be awesome if it was....for all of us??

All we can do is hold tight to the good, and try not to let the not so good get us down...easy peasy...right????:rotfl:

Hope you got/get some good information from the back doc Sheryl - I reckon you could do with some answers right about now!

Take care and remember - be good - and if you can't be good....be good at it!!!:loll:
 
Well, good news - bad news is that I have "moderate" stenosis L3 to S1 (I think that's how it goes.) Lots of inflammation and discs in same area not so good. Doc said inflammation could be from stenosis, the discs, or the little bones (forget what they are called) rubbing/hitting wrong. I guess good news is that "nothing bad enough for surgery." :sigh: He didn't want to talk about upper back/neck/shoulder issues. :sigh::sigh:

Doc suggested lumbar injection which he could have done in office but I just didn't know him well enough :what: I need to think about it and research some more. Hip doctor said when he referred me to back doctor that he is an "acquired taste." He was okay, answered all the questions that I had, but was a little perturbed when hubby asked to see MRI with an explanation of what it showed. (Yea, hubby!) And more than a little perturbed that I didn't want to do injection right away. :unsure:

So, for now, I guess I learn to live with it. Big mind switchover now. I learned to "live with" hip pain for so long then decided life just wasn't worth living with it so threw everything into doing whatever to make it better. Now, I'm told I just gotta learn to live with this. :nah: So back to learning to live with it: research, make appointment with new PT, and maybe go to see pain doctor that I liked (with same practice and did my hip and SI injections). If I do decide on injection, he does them in surgery center as opposed to office which seems to me to be better since he is putting stuff into my spine. Also, he was also really good about explaining things . . . answering questions I didn't know to ask, offering and explaining solutions.

:SUNsmile:So on the extra good side, looks like tomorrow (Sunday) will be another perrrfect day for a ride. :horseriding:

Good reminder that life is great, so much better than a year ago, and why I did this.

Jena @Meggzie so right, it's all about holding tight to the on to what is good. I'll be over to your thread to see how you did.

Elizabeth @sfbionicat50 How did your visit go? Our dates match up so close . . . . we need to keep in touch to see how we're doing --
Thank you for reminding me that there can be hope. I had so convinced myself that the news would be bad. Re what Donna @craftdee said about realizing that THR is the not panacea for one's health issues. That's so true for me too. I keep telling myself that pain is a great motivator for me to transform body into something strong and supple that will thrive in my 60s, 70s, and 80s. But, I feel like I'm constantly beating back the fear that I'll always be in pain. In the end, it feels like that's the real struggle -- how to live joyfully despite the obstacles.
Yep!


@beachgal -- your words of wisdom are working their magic and inspiring me to keep focused on the good and keep on tweaking to deal with "little" pains -- AND every time I walk past our iron skillets, I hear ya! :friends:

Dona @craftdee , why, of course, I will be happy to #4 for you . . . tho 3.5 is getting there!

Enough --- :hi: time to get some work done, then go visiting :sneaker:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom