Guest viewing is limited

THR Me2 and Recovery

@MajorHeidi I don't think they used fancy table. I was awake when they put me onto surgery table and started positioning. But just regular table. Unless they moved me again. But from what Doc said his method similar to Superpath in cutting slice off of bone first then removing femoral head and "cleaning up" the top part.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Therapy session this morning went well. Took long walk and did all bed exercises they asked me too. Going down to their place this afternoon to learn new ways of doing things.

Also comfy seater dress working really really well. Can do vitals thru. Long enough to cover when walking. And easy to move out of way to check bandaging and removing all the tubes, etc. med personnel commented how much easier than jogs or shorts. Well see how well it works for afternoon therapy session. Also feel like I look and feel not like sick person.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Welcome to the other side! Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Got to see incision since I started post and it's bigger than I expected. Probably at least 5 inches, never was big concern for me though other than time of healing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Learned to change bandage, give heparin shot into stomach, up and down steps, into bath and van. Some normal exercises. Got to walk outside twice. Feeling great. Still 0-1 pain except for a bit of incision pain (I think) when walking. Trying heard to be patient and rest but that's hard for me when feeling good.
 
@Me2 My incision is also 5 inches and at 6 weeks it looks really good. Hopefully yours will heal quickly as well. Glad you're feeling so good, don't forget to rest and take it easy. Feeling good can give you a false sense of being able to do more than you should when you get home. Looking forward to reading more about your recovery!!
 
Excellent news @ Me2...,, hope you continue your great recovery...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Still no real hip pain, little bit of swelling, still icing, but my back still hurts the same as before surgery. My mind doing 330 am panic wonderings if hip surgery is not going to resolve. Really hoped it would.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh honey....it's only been a few days...everything has got to settle down from the trauma. Please give it time and take it slowly....you are not alone though in being impatient...it's a tough learning curve....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Surgery pain is still 0-1. Just worrying about lower back pain that is same if not worse than before surgery. I had talked to doctor about it before surgery and he really felt related to hip problem. I am thoroughly but guardedly ecstatic that surgery pain is so minimal. Reminding myself that I need to stick to the plan I have in place to get rest and allow healing. I know that is important. I even stayed in hospital for recommended 3-4 days.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Me2 , I have terrible lower spine issues and after several years of injections in my back that never resolved the issue, my internal med doc started examining me and came to the conclusion that it was my hip all along. At first I was relieved but he showed me during exam by manipulating my hip joint and producing the pain in my back. So, you can imagine how excited I was to know that my THR might resolve this. And it has. But only on the right side of my back (my other hip is declining, prob where pain is still coming from). Guess what I'm trying to say is, it HAS def helped my "back" pain, but it didn't seem to at first. The more I moved around (over the course of about a week) the more I realized that it was gone on that side of my back. So hang in there. Not saying that is the case for you also, but your situation sounds similar to mine. And remember, there are small milestones every single day. Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Thanks @glmrphy I did see Doc this morning, and he said he couldn't guarantee but most likely back pain will get better quickly. I had developed almost inch difference in leg lengths that are now even and so back pain may just be adjusting to new even hip heights. Patience u
Is immediate answer. Ice on back really helped tremendously for immediate relief.

Great therapy session too. Doc said I could try with cane, and I feel much more able to walk with normal stability. Surgical side muscles felt more dependable on cane too. Or could be the pain drug they said they sprayed in before closing and now wearing off. Supposedly time released so gives 72 hours of relief. Going home on just Celebrex is making me little apprehensive but Doc assures me most similar oral drug to the intravenous drug I've been taking but can't be given for more than 72 hours




Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Congrats on your smooth surgery & wishing you a continued speedy recovery. Enjoying your pre & post threads. I had back pain after surgery and mentioned it to the PA before I was discharged, she suggested a heating pad. My bff's during recovery were the good old fashioned ice bag from the hospital and my heating pad!
Continued blessing to you!

@MajorHeidi - blessings to you, too. Love your positive and encouraging spirit. Xoxo
 
Thanks for the kind words, @Hibbe !

@Me2 I am amazed at your minimally painful recovery so far. Its amazing some of the pain
approaches they are using these days. It sounds like you have something given in the wound before
closing it up that has helped a lot.
But, going home on just Celebrex? Wow!
Do you go home today? Are you excited and looking forward to being there?
 
@MajorHeidi I know what you are talking about as far as something in the wound during surgery for pain. My OS washes the wound with a pain relieving wash during surgery and it really helped for the first 3-4 days.
 
That's good to know Donna @mystikfairy61 . I heard something mentioned but was zoning out when the RN was speaking at the joint class. I sure hope I get some of that.
 
I had developed almost inch difference in leg lengths that are now even and so back pain may just be adjusting to new even hip heights.
That's exactly what is happening @Me2 , your pelvis was probably tilted a bit to compensate for that leg length difference. Now things have to balance again. Your back may complain at first. Just keep icing and take any meds for now. Things will ease - it just takes a bit of time.
 
The nurse explained that the "wash" had some time release aspects that kept it going fairly steady. However did indicate that if I was still feeling no pain it would likely continue. I still feeling some numbness in thigh so don't know if from surgery or meds or both. Whatever--it doesn't hurt.

Stomach injections do!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Congratulations Me2 - sounds very positive indeed. Can't believe you we're awake for it though :0
Keep up the good work, you're doing do well. I hope recovery continues well for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom