THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hello @Mayhip8 ! Sorry I'm late to #2's party. Somehow I've got notifications turned off. Sorry to hear you're hurting, cariad. :cry:Hang in there... remember each day in the early days brings new challenges. But I know you'll come through - you're a tough cookie to have endured all you have so far, the wait, etc. Keep up the dialogue with your GP re meds. Sounds like he/she is receptive to good analgesia. :yes!:

Thinking of you, sending big hugs from Worcestershire, and wishing you good rest and peaceful nights and an end to those spasms!
 
Hi everybody, sorry I’ve been a bit absent. Pleased to report I have turned that corner. I had a five day course of Diazepam which settled the spasms and improved my rest. I had my wound staples out three days ago so I am showering now !yey! The post-operative discomfort is now bearable manageable and understandable. As ever, I am Eager to get to the next stage. EG sleeping on my side - i’m not really a back sleeper at all …
Because I feel much brighter, now I’m starting to pass time in doing some arts and crafts.
I’ve done some light cooking, but I’m trying to resist housework and pass that baton on to my husband and our young adult children that share our home. (Wish me luck!)
I’m doing a good walk each day around the block when the weather is nice, it’s helping my mood because I have been a bit down.

I was made redundant earlier this year, so I’ve started to look for jobs to maybe start in the New Year.

After being in pain and having poor health for the past 5 plus years it really is a new start for me and it’s both exciting and daunting at the same time. However I’ll bring myself back to reality and remember to do just one day at a time for now .
Sending love to all,:console2:
 
had my wound staples out three days ago so I am showering now !yey!
Isn't that the best feeling!

Glad to read that the spasms have settled down and that your pain is now more manageable. The first few weeks are so hard for most of us and it's wonderful that you're feeling like you've turned a corner.

I know you'll continue to see progress in the coming weeks and hope that the new year does indeed feel like a fresh start.

:flwrysmile:
 
Lots of positives in your update, Mayhip! I'm happy for you. Things are looking up!
Just think how good you'll be feeling by Christmas.

Was just skimming through your thread a bit. It always brings back memories to see the avatars of those that spent time here. I remember ahipgma, Chrissy W, ceezee and Calgal well. You were all healing together. Fun looking back!
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)
@Mayhip8
 
was made redundant earlier this year, so I’ve started to look for jobs to maybe start in the New Year.
Sorry to hear that @Mayhip8. You seemed to give so much to your patients even when you were in pain yourself. But I've always experienced when one door closes another one opens...so good wishes for better things to come.

Glad to hear your 2nd recovery is going well! :yay:
Not as many interactions on the forum these days it seems. Our little gang of 'may marvels' 2019 were a special group!

Take care and wishing you continued steady progress. X
 
Thankyou @Calgal
I hope all is well with you?:)

Yes we were quite a tight recovery group weren't we? iStrange how we all bonded and remained virtual friends. I remember our little “excursions” fondly and often wonder about how everyone else is getting on.
I can honestly say I’ve turned that recovery corner now and I’m walking daily getting to the ‘ bored ‘ side of recovery now, but knowing that I’ve got to pace myself, still a rubbish sleeper, but weaning off the medication and thinking ahead ,planning for Christmas buying presents and wondering what to do this year.
There’s been a few quite beautiful autumnal days at the moment, so I don’t want to wish the autumn away, but I promised myself a bright new future and I know it will happen :SUNsmile:
I want to start travelling more of Europe and have been thinking about interrailing. I’m presuming that it will be more comfortable than aeroplane seats.
But I do need another part-time job for an income and to pass the time so I can enjoy everything that is good about this world
Sending love to you and everyone :flwrysmile::cheers:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Mayhip!
I hope you have a lovely Autumn weekend. Blue skies, warm sunshine and the colorful display that Autumn brings. It's past peak and fading fast in my location so I'm trying to savor it all.
Have a great day! :)
@Mayhip8
 
Thankyou @Layla
I love autumn it’s my favourite time of the year. The clocks went back this weekend in the UK, so it goes dark earlier and indeed today has been wet cold and miserable so I cooked a comforting cauliflower cheese with added mixed cabbage and chorizo. Topped with cheese and baked - talk about comfort food! And yet, it’s still healthy .

I wonder how everyone else is getting on that had their surgery recently.?

I finished my anticoagulant injections yesterday they were twice a day. Hopefully now my tummy will get time to heal from the bruises that are associated with the injections,

I am getting bored which is always a good sign of recovery. I’m trying to do some artwork but I can’t sit for long periods of time but do what I can when I can .
I keep reminding myself patience is a virtue.

Sending love to you all
 
Autumn is my fave too, Mayhip! Wish it wasn't so fleeting. We change the clocks this coming weekend, so we're a week behind you. I'm not looking forward to it being dark so early.

The soup sounds delish, I already found a recipe, but it doesn't include the cabbage. I'm going to try it and put it in the rotation over the Winter months if I like it.

Boredom does set in and I agree its a good indication you're regaining strength and stamina. Just think how good you'll be feeling by Christmas. :banana-santa:Have a great week!
@Mayhip8
 

I use this basic recipe and then add small bits of chopped cabbage about a cup full and about half a cup of finely diced chorizo or pancetta or bacon just to jazz it up a bit. I also add maybe some garlic a few herbs, plenty of white and black pepper top it all with loads of cheese and bake it until cooked and golden and unctuous!
less of a soup and more of a Sauce based meal, if you know what I mean, I have it on its own or with sausages or black pudding or a slice of beef.( I don’t tend to follow recipes that much of a Bunga it in and see type of cook )
If you try it, let me know how you get on?
Much love
@Layla
 
There was a restaurant my Mom & I enjoyed back in the day that served cream of cauliflower soup, it was delicious.
I love Fall as well.
I hate time change but by mid December usually starts turning in other direction.
Sounds like your recovery is going well. I'll try the recipe myself, thanks for sharing.
 
I can’t decide if everything is okay with me .
I’m still getting a lot of pain at night ( weird cramp and tiny spasms, groin pain ) needing codeine paracetamol every four hours at night - ok in the daytime but I’m not sleeping well at all - I’d like to try laying on my side, but can’t remember if I can at this stage or not - I won’t see my surgeon for another four weeks although I do have physio in a few days.
I haven’t injured myself , I’m walking up and down the stairs (old Victorian house), probably 5 to 6 times a day, going out for a daily walk. I don’t count my steps but I’ve been doing short but longer distances.
Wound to skin healed (have some ‘grazed’ areas because I reacted to the dressings .wound lumpy with some numb areas. It’s all quite painful. Warm areas but no discharge. No temperature , no fever.
My mood is fluctuating.( Unfortunately there’s quite a lot going on in my family at the moment which I’m not going to go into) .
I’m the first one to say you shouldn’t compare yourself but I just feel that I’m lagging behind quite a lot at just over five weeks after surgery.
I can walk without my crutches but won’t when I’m outside. I walked and sat on odd chairs yesterday as I had an important cardiology review at the hospital yesterday and was discharged as I fully recovered from my cardiac event last summer.
I’m going to prep some Italian meatballs for supper this afternoon for some positivity today- I think I’ve got the postop blues :groan:
 
Hi Mayhip :wave:
The symptoms you mentioned don't seem unusual at less than six weeks post op.

You can try laying on your side. I am not sure how you eased into it with your first THR, but many try it for short periods of time in an effort to get comfortable with side sleeping again. Library article here -> Side Sleeping
What worked for me was an inexpensive body pillow to place between my legs while on my side. It may be something to consider as it runs the length of your legs and provides comfort while keeping your hips level. I still use mine nightly over seven years post op.

A lumpy wound with numb areas at this point is normal also. Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.
While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

The increased blood flow to the area results in the warmth. As the healing process progresses, the warmth will dissipate, but it can take 6 months or longer to resolve.

I'm happy to read that you recovered from the cardiac event. That's comforting news, I'll bet. As far as the post op blues, one month post op seems to be prime time for this. You're feeling better, but still have limitations and you're likely getting bored with it all. You start feeling like, C'mon...I have things to do, places to go, people to see and with the holidays quickly approaching it may all feel overwhelming. However, post op blues is normally fleeting and I am sure you'll be back to your old self very soon. :yes:

Happy Weekend, Mayhip! I hope it's a good one for you. :)
@Mayhip8
 
Thankyou @Layla .. I was having a bad day and I’m pleased to report that this evening things seem brighter and more positive.

I actually read back through my old threads from around about the same post-operative recovery time and we did have a joyous time didn’t we? It also reassured me that I’m actually doing really well just no

It was kind of you to get back to me so soon with your reassuring words, and I very much appreciate it.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Sending love xxx
 
It's my pleasure, Mayhip.
I am happy hear you're feeling better. I hope you have a good week!
@Mayhip8
 
Well, what a difference a few days makes.
I’ve been having increasing groin and generally feeling as if I’ve not made much progress needing pain relief more frequently. However, I went to my physio appointment today and she did a full assessment, told me that I no longer have restrictions, put me through some comfortable physiotherapy exercises, bent my knee towards chest , told me that I could sit on chairs lower than I have been doing, she gave me lots of confidence because when she did all of the things there was no pain ( just tightness) and that I could lie on my side -she help me to do that. I’ve been dubious and cautious because I had no physio after my previous hip replacement and Gained strength by swimming as soon as my wound was healed .
I’m six weeks postop, I feel more confident this evening than I did this time a week ago. I’m still walking with crutches though as my glutes aren’t strong enough to walk with one for long distances , so just thought I’d let you know and keep a record of where I’m up to
I have the pain relief and ice to hand to get me through the night if I need it.
Onwards and upwards
Cautiously and gently
Xx
 
I feel more confident this evening than I did this time a week ago.
Great news! Best way to go into the weekend.
Thanks for the update, Mayhip. Slow and easy will get you to where you want to be! :ok:
 
Seven weeks on and all is well, mostly.

My wound is nicely healing - some of the skin areas around it started to break down and Graze because I scratched an itch - the skin was fragile from allergic reaction to the dressing. It’s calming down now. I had been massaging the skin with organic coconut oil and Aveeno DERMEXA ( alternating) .

When I went to the physio last week she said I didn’t need to have any restrictions and could lie on my side in bed to sleep - which is been wonderful. I can finally sleep for longer periods and it’s joyful not to wake up with that awful, gnawing hip and thigh pain that I had before surgery .

I’m doing physio exercises should be twice a day but its making my leg and groin hurt. I can feel the muscles and tendons so I confess I’m doing them alternate days and going for walks on the day It’s not drizzly and wet round here !
The weather has made a massive difference to my improvement this time round ( my last operation on my other hip was in spring summer conditions, )
it’s just not safe to walk in wet and slippery conditions. So I climb more stairs instead to get some steps in .

I was bored, but there’s lots going on that I have to be involved with at the moment so I’m focusing on other things rather than me ! Theoretically I could return to work next week, realistically I haven’t got a job just yet!

I’ve to see my surgeon in another couple of weeks so I’m not driving until then.

I think because it took two weeks to get my pain sorted my mobility was reduced and I’m a little behind with my Recovery, but having more good days to bad now
Last time I had restrictions and never bent my leg more than 90° and never sat in a chair lower than 50 inches. Obviously I had a dodgy right hip at the time so couldn’t sit comfortably anyway, but now I’m wondering what does restrictions mean I can sit in low chairs again?

I couldn’t ride a bike last time because of my right hip and my fear of damaging my left hip- I think I can cycle again is that right?

I joined a gym and haven’t yet returned to it but plan to in December, I’m just wondering could I ask a personal trainer to put me through some of the equipment training again ?

Well these are my Saturday morning musings as I lay in bed drinking tea, watching the drizzle fall as the squirrels run along the garden fences in search of a feeder! The birds are chirruping and its nice to feel quiet calm and rested.
Who knows what the day ahead will bring?

I hope this finds everybody well and warm

Love to all. xxxx
 
Lovely post. I get the weather thing. I was supposed to have my operation mid-Sept and it was delayed twice. It would have been better walking weather. It is due to turn very cold this week. (English cold, not Mid-West cold)

I can't answer your exercise questions at I am only Day 18 of recovery and finding my way but one thing I have become very good at is reining in 'helpful' friends. They so want to speed up my recovery whilst not really understanding that this is a recovery program not a training program. I understand they are trying to help but it really doesn't.

I do think the personal trainer will help with centering and curing bad walking habits in the future but it is too early for me.

Stay warm.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom