THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Looks like yesterday was surgery day. I hope you're resting comfortably and pain is well managed.
@Mayhip8
 
If you want a new recovery thread for this THR, feel free....the choice is yours. :) Or even an updated thread title.
We're willing to assist, if you need help.
@Mayhip8
 
Yeyyy!!! Finally I had my surgery yesterday morning. Made a good first day recovery - up mobilising - awful night with pain spasm last night needed drips and special antispasmodics however today slept quite a lot and up and about a lot this evening - feeling very positive hopefully home tomorrow.
Love to all
 
Congrats Mayhip!
Here's a refresher on the Recovery Guidelines, which may have changed since your first THR...not sure? Sorry you had a rough night, I hope tonight is better for you. Best Wishes!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
YaY!! Right hip is done and dusted... I can tell you are excited to get to the good parts of healing.... hopefully the spasms calm down quickly, they are so painful when they sneak up on a person at night!!

I hope your homecoming is uneventful.. with plenty of ice packs ready and waiting.
 
@Mayhip8 welcome back to the recovery side! Hopefully you're home and resting comfortably. Give us an update when you're feeling up to it.
 
Thank you everybody :)
I came home Saturday evening
I’m ok walking around every 2 hrs or so, ICE a every hour
My husband is making snacks and lots of brews! ( tea )
Assisted hygiene
Early mobility and positive attitude

I’m experiencing awful nerve pain and spasm into the operated thigh during the night.
I’m upping the codeine and oromorph tonight I think ( within prescribed dose)
I had trouble in HDU and needed IV Magnesium and single dose Clonidine which helped
I am hoping it’s just temporary and part of the inflammatory process. I forgotten how I need to pass this time. I’m resting and being kind to myself in between movements I need to do .!
Hope you are all ok :cheers:
 
I’m experiencing awful nerve pain and spasm into the operated thigh during the night.
Most of us have had those -- we refer to them as "zingers." It's a sign that the nerves that were disrupted during surgery "waking up." That's a really good thing!

I know it's uncomfortable right now, but it does go away with time.
 
Well, today is a different day altogether! I spoke with my own GP yesterday morning regarding the nerve pain and cramping, essentially my analgesia was sub- therapeutic and we have quadrupled the dose and set out a new pain management plan.

Oh my days, what a difference :dancy:no more of the horrible nerve pain or cramping, I understand this irritable situation is a response to positioning during surgery , healing wounds and stuff, but I remember from last time it was far too extreme to be normal.

For most of today I’ve walked about the house a fair bit, rested, washed my hair ( soo refreshing! ) managed gentle physio,in between catching up with some rubbish television, hilarious chats with friends and the occasional snooze.
And now its 6pm here in UK so hubby is going to make tea(dinner/supper) of Jacket spud with tuna mayo sweetcorn.. ( That should keep the microbiomes happy )
Love to all :loveshwr:
 
Sounds like you are on your way and silly chats with friends at this time can be wonderfully diverting!
 
I spoke too soon! I’m just not having much fun at all. I haven’t slept properly at all this dreadful spasm and cramps sneak up on me - If I do manage to sleep they wake me. I’m still on high doses of painkillers and Oramorph . My wound was a problem. The district nurses came out last night and took my theatre dressing off and redressed with a lighternone, which has helped reduce the bulkiness The wound is healing well apparently it’s just very awful nerve like pain.
Yesterday I only got up to walk around every couple of hours go to the bathroom et cetera (the previous days I’ve been up and walking outside and around the house)
I can’t get the balance between doing too much and too little, but this morning I’m in absolute nerve pain /spasm agony. I’m on my third ice pack and have used all my medication up for now. I really don’t remember all of this from my left hip replacement five years ago.

I’m asking does anyone have any advice please?
 
They say no two hips come out the same & I'm guessing this is what they are talking about.
I have no real advice other than to ice & take meds & lend a sympathetic ear.
The early days can be so frustrating.
Maybe another poster can add more advice but sure hope you start feeling better, seems first few weeks are toughest.
 
I'm so sorry you are struggling with nerve pain, @Mayhip8. I remember it from my hip recovery and it really is awful.

Yesterday I only got up to walk around every couple of hours go to the bathroom
This is probably what you should stick with for another week. You are still very, very early days in this recovery and it sounds like you might have been overdoing it with the walking.

My surgeon was adamant that I should do nothing for the first two weeks except rest and recover. He advises all his patients that people who push too hard in the early days tend to be less happy with their recoveries.

Please try not to push yourself to "match" your other hip's recovery. It really is true that no two recoveries are the same -- even two hips in the same person.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom