THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

You two are funny with your local Facebook group stories! :heehee:

Sorry I missed you earlier in the day to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary, Mayhip!
With a 6 (?) hour time difference, you're likely fast asleep as I type this.
I hope you had a good day and I hope your Wednesday is even better! :loveshwr:
@Mayhip8
 
@Phoebie , I posted on my local Facebook page this morning for a mobile hairdresser and had one lady contact me but then turned out to be unable to help me as she wanted me to go to her house as she was recovering from operation. Maybe not so mobile… I think I will try and get into my usual salon after my postop appointment on Friday. I started cutting my own hair in lockdown but did it outside so the birds could make nests with my hair,(in reality, it’s because it’s a damn site easier to tidy and clean up the hair :heehee:) -it’s too slippy and cold for me to do it now.
I love the local Facebook group -ours usually says “helicopter hovering over - does anyone what’s happened,?” or “is this your cat that keeps coming in my house, eating my cats food ?” or “ have you seen her at number 24 Her hair is SO so long? I can hear her toenails scratching on the pavement as she walks past with the crutches” :loll::loll:
Where in UK are you (ish) I’m in North west .
Well I might turn in for the evening I’ve just watched The Great British Bake Off final and I am nice and relaxed.

Hope everybody has a pleasant rest of the day and a good night sleep
Love to all
Xxxxxx
If you can get to your usual salon it is the best solution. You are not taking any risks.

Oh, I love local FB. It is the only reason I still have an account. I have to sit on my hands sometimes to stop me posting sarcastic comments. :)

Spoiler alert!

I thought Dylan was going to win! At least he has a job at a Michelin starred restaurant. He is only 20 and I think we will see more of him.
 
@phoebe - sorry I left you hanging there, I went off to make a cup of tea and check everything Facebook and here we are a week later! :heehee:
Re bake off I’m surprised too - I thought Dylan would win he seems to have lost his nerve at the last hurdle. However yes, he’s going to go on to wonderful things - such a confident young man. I’m quite pleased Georgia won because I have welsh heritage and we’re quite strong on achievement in Wales.

Well in the past week I have managed some nice long countryside walks.

I have mainly been busy from morning to night doing domestic stuff, cleaning hoovers, it’s rare isn’t it? people don’t think to clean the things that clean things.

I’ve made tasty meals - enough to feed a huge family that no longer eat meals at home because they’re out working - so I have a fridge full of food that nobody wants - so eating leftovers endlessly!
I need to get well and get another job in paid employment :yahoo:

I went to my postop appointment, and they are pleased with my progress,my wound, I had a check x-ray because I’d pulled a muscle in my buttock, and I had groin pains,( cutting my toe nails on left foot!) so needed to check that no impingement/ problem. I’ve not heard that there’s any adverse problems so I’m happy with that. My son cut the toenails on my right foot. He drew the line at applying varnish….
I’m doing my physio and trying to get up and at ‘em, I tried to drive yesterday but because of groin and muscle pain in upper thigh. I literally can’t use the gas pedal without pain so I’m not confident just yet.
Also wanted to go swimming but can’t get there because I can’t drive so I’ve considered having a bath, but can’t stand on one leg to get in safely bit frustrated so I re-read my previous thread for timeframe referral and realise that all things considered I need to just be kind to myself.
I keep forgetting that the years of misusing of my muscles mean my progress will take a little longer.
I am really busy with admin and coordinating mums care at the moment so my head thinks my world has returned to normal and my body is going okay! chill! You can’t do that so well just now…
Back to the drawing board…
Well bright and sunny yet very cold day here today so I’m having a rest day as my friend is coming from Wales and staying over tonight and we’re all going out for a meal and I am so giddy
Hope the day is kind to you
Stay well
Much love :flwrysmile::friends:
 
@Mayhip8 Glad to know you are busy. I think for a while after surgery the recovery is all consuming. It is good to get some normality back. In my case it is the architect sending me lots of bills to pay on the renovation I am doing in Italy. I almost wish I could sink back into my cocoon of oblivion. I am desperate for a pedicure. For some reason my toenails have been dry and cracking. I need some nail varnish to hold them together!!

I DID drive today. Apparently, I was OK to drive at 4 weeks but I chickened out. Today I drove to the local town (ten minutes away) to replenish some basic painkillers and did a sweep around the local Waitrose to see what Christmas chocolates I can take to my grandchildren in the U.S. I felt very unhealthy returning with a bag of drugs and sweets!!!

Driving was not painful at all. I drove with a very painful hip pre-surgery so this was easier. However, I am sure I will pay for it later. I would not want to drive long distance yet. I was super-vigilant as it is rutting season here and the deer are a menace.

I have waved goodbye to the cleaners and am taking back control of my home. I can do most things myself except lift anything heavy. I just want to be independent again. And I will be heading off to the US next week all being well with my six week check on Tuesday. How can it not be when it is a phone consultation?

I understand what you are saying about needing to rehabilitate the muscles. I am sure swimming would help if you could get there. You need a swim buddy.

We move patiently on....slowly reclaiming our lives.
 
I felt very unhealthy returning with a bag of drugs and sweets!!!
:heehee: At least you made it out of the house and a had successful trip, Bravo:xmark:
 
Great news on your successful post op visit! You ARE staying busy, as Phoebie commented. Good for you, Mayhip! It feels wonderful to feel useful again after feeling so dependent on others. You must be feeling good to clean "the things" that clean!! :wink: That's extra!:heehee:
I hope you enjoy the time with your friend and the restaurant meal.
Stay safe...and warm!
@Mayhip8
 
Time keeps flying by. I’ve been making good progress have Seen the physio again and had a review of my x-ray as my right hip has a strange pain when standing on my operated leg balancing and then returning to 2 feet on the ground a pain shoots across inside - they’ve said it may be scar tissue or nerve damage so I’ve got another review at outpatient in a couple of months.

I’m desperate for a bath and I can’t for the life of me pluck up the courage /confidence or memory of how to get in and out of a bath!
Any advice greatly received !
Hope all well with everyone I’m gonna pop by later see what nuggets of information people may have
 
I’m desperate for a bath and I can’t for the life of me pluck up the courage /confidence or memory of how to get in and out of a bath!
One of our members said she actually practiced getting in and out of the bathtub fully clothed with someone else in the room-- just in case there was a problem -- before trying the real thing.
 
One of our members said she actually practiced getting in and out of the bathtub fully clothed with someone else in the room-- just in case there was a problem -- before trying the real thing.

Ahh good plan! Thankyou
 
I’m desperate for a bath and I can’t for the life of me pluck up the courage /confidence or memory of how to get in and out of a bath!
One of our members said she actually practiced getting in and out of the bathtub fully clothed with someone else in the room-- just in case there was a problem -- before trying the real thing.
Ahh good plan Thanks
Which leg first though I wonder?
 
I'm thinking hold onto side of tub & swing surgery leg in first??? Do you have a grab bar??? Cause once one leg would be in grab bar & bring other leg along???
I'm right handed so I tend to lead with my right side which is my surgical side.
Or go back to how we learned to go up & down stairs after surgery???
Or sit on side of tub & swing body in, then hold onto something (hopefully grab bar), & descend into the water? All ideas here, no tub here just walk in shower but just trying to envision.
 
Do you have a shower stool? I'd try putting it close to the side of tub, sit on it and try lifting the legs in. If the side of your tub is higher than the stool, perhaps put the stool inside?

Try different arrangements to find what works for you and your bathroom set-up, @Mayhip8
 
Thanks @myglasshalffull @benne68
I don’t have grab rails nearby. I do have a toilet frame that I could use but it’s not fixed
I just think I’m over conscious of getting stuck ! having had my left hip done in 2019 . I relied on the strength in my right hip to get me in and out even though it was impeded by pain. I really would love a bath because my right groin/ hip feels weird , I’m getting a bit of neuropathy in my right foot, especially when I’m sat on the loo. In terms of pain it is diminishing and I can climb stairs better now.
I know its 12 weeks and I am recovering , my limp his lessened but I am still using a walking stick (especially outside to keep people away from me in the Christmas crowds.)

Anyway, I thought I’d pop by just have a little moan.

But more than anything to wish everybody a very Happy healthy Christmas:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon::xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 
my limp his lessened but I am still using a walking stick (especially outside to keep people away from me in the Christmas crowds
I did the same thing! Most people do give you a bit more space when they see you have a walking aide (and the ones that don't, you can just trip with the stick :heehee: ).
Hope you have a great Christmas! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hi there, Mayhip :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope you had a great Christmas.
Wishing you a new year filled with health, happiness, love and endless possibilities!
@Mayhip8
 
It’s 3 Am here in North West England
It’s very nearly the end of what continues to be a terrible year for me and my family.
It’s taking every ounce of strength and using all the support from our friends to get through .
We are counting our blessings every day however and remain positive that we’ve done and are doing the best we can - given the circumstances.
I say this as I recognise the impact recent events have had on my recovery. Compered to my previous THR ( which I feel I should yet should not do) this recovery has been a challenge.
I mobilised early, had so much spasm,lack of sleep,ongoing weird pain,that I felt precious and anxious about doing every day things.
However in the last seven days I’ve made some choices and had to respond to (situations) that left me no choice !
Has it helped my hip ? Hmmm….
Possibly.
I chose to have a bath! Finally! In the end I applied the processes explained by others on the forum ( Thankyou) and just did it! Ohhhh how divine to soak in my salts and oils and warm reassuring water . Boasted for days I did!
I was thrown into consecutive days of responding to urgent situations with my ailing mum, which meant from Xmas eve onwards more or less doing full physical days of “work” /nursing care , I couldn’t sit down at her house to rest as chairs sooo low! I was exhausted physically and mentally.
I finally “rested “ (ODIC) on Saturday
Early Sunday ( yesterday) morning I reasoned that if I was over doing things I may as well try to regain my all over body strength ( Which is so poor at present) so I went for my first swim since the Op, ohhhhhhh a bigger bath! My escape! To swim,for me, is to find my space, focus,comfort and outlet for stress.
Sunday afternoon I went for a gentle walk at a local lake.
More physical yet positive activity.
The evening was spent with comforting bowl of veggie noodles and watching an American comedian on Netflix ( Nate ?) he’s good! We laughed a lot!
I guess in my insomnia I’m understanding that although things are less than ideal , and may be so for a long time ahead, I have achieved so much personality and will continue to physically recover both by nature and by choice ,that I can go into the next phase and indeed the New Year with hope, positivity, support,strength to give and receive love and compassion.
And so it continues
Happy New Year everyone :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4::friends:
 
Well said Mayhip, the universe throws challenges our way & we rise to meet them.
I'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed your bath & swim, good for you!
Here's hoping for a quieter, gentler 2025.
 
Dearest Mayhip…
I hope when you turn the calendar to 2025 things slowly calm down and life falls into place for you. Thankfully you’re doing your best at some well deserved self care, when you’re able to find the time.

Your posts often make me feel like I’m wrapped in a cozy blanket. They have a captivating quality that pulls you in. I’ve enjoyed following both of your recoveries. My wish is that your days become brighter and 2025 proves to be a peaceful year for you.
@Mayhip8
 
Oh so sorry to hear about your troubles but glad that bathing and swimming is helping.
If you haven’t seen the latest Wallace and Gromit film do watch it. I was crying with laughter. On Netflix from 3rd January and on the BBC.

Take care and sending hugs. Xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom