THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

I’m doing physio exercises should be twice a day but its making my leg and groin hurt. I can feel the muscles and tendons so I confess I’m doing them alternate days and going for walks on the day It’s not drizzly and wet round here
Please don't feel guilty about this, Mayhip. While it's your recovery to do your way, the best therapy for recovery from THR is walking, but not to excess. You're wise to dial it back due to the discomfort it's causing in your leg and groin. Do be careful though if it's wet / slippery. Do you have any indoor shopping malls nearby you can walk in as another option? Lots to be distracted by as you get in your steps, but also a temptation. :wink:

For all reading here, keep in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. Start walks slowly, increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.

As far as retuning to the gym at three months post op, it's generally safe, but crucial to approach it with caution and proper guidance, as you mentioned you will do. Certain activities and equipment should be avoided or modified to protect your hip and avoid overloading the joint. When you see your surgeon in a couple weeks, remember to ask his opinion of what is safe for you at the gym and what you should avoid.
Best wishes for a great weekend! I hope the sun shines for you today. :SUNsmile:
 
Hello @Mayhip8 ! I've been remiss following and supporting you on your second rodeo. :shrug:

You sound a bit down, which is totally understandable at this point. Theoretically physically 'well' enough yet not necessarily mentally ready for certain stuff. As a normally strong enough independent woman, I recall feeling distinctly (and untypically) FRAGILE during most of my 1 year recovery. It was humbling and unnerving. It sounds like you've got a good PT and other support team to gently encourage you to go to the next step - literally and figuratively. :thumb:.

Maybe go back and re-read your first journey to remind you of all those slow and steady accomplishments and give you strength for this journey? You go girl - been there done that got the t-shirt! :yes!:
 
Thank you, @Calgal
This indeed has been a very different recovery period involving quite stressful situation with my elderly mother becoming frail and infirm after a recent fall, coming close after a similar stressful situation with my mother-in-law who sadly died in May following a fall on NYE - its all really quite intense if I’m being honest, it is taking a toll on my mental health. I’m absolutely exhausted. Its 8weeks since my operation now and I am pleased on the whole I have achieved so much and mindful that I’ve got some way to go after a rocky initial 2weeks,
I’m literally living from morning to evening to do what I can each day, as soon as I think about a future bring myself right back to the here and now . I still want to do some personal care like get my hair cut get my toenails cut go back and swim in a pool and I’m bothered by problems with my wound. It’s not massive but it’s just hot and painful The Grazed areas are healing, but I do need more patience and tolerance.!
I’ve read back through my previous history and it really helps, but it also makes me feel a little sad and a bit lonely to be honest :boohoo:
It’s been a very horrid day and I’m very tired and tomorrow is round the corner, I had no intention of offloading but it’s all come out. Thanks for listening and supporting xxxxxx
 
I'm sorry it was a hard day. Hang in there!!!!

You've been through a lot and having the blues is a normal part of this crazy up and down recovery.

We're here for you. Sending a big ((hug)) flying halfway across the world to you!
 
Sorry to read about your Mom & MIL. Surely can mess with your mental well being. I was weepy & sad around 2-3 month mark if I remember correctly. I think when you lead an active lifestyle & you are robbed of that independence you can't help but get down.
Try & talk to a friend of family member or watch something silly on TV. And we are here.
We've all been through very similar feelings & circumstances & can definitely relate.
 
@myglasshalffull Thank you for taking the time to post this thoughtful and reassuring post . It’s Mid morning and I’m still in bed. I’m having a self-care / duvet day and may do some home cooking later on cos I fancy some Harrissa panneer and couscous with Mediterranean vegetables….. And apple pie, and ice cream what could be better than that?! #comfortfood!
Sending love to everyone stay safe in Uk storms incomimg! Xxx
 
I am sorry to read about your moms frailty and fall, Mayhip, also my condolences on the loss of your MIL.
Sending hugs and hope you're able to indulge in some self care soon as in sprucing up your hair, and a pedi, maybe with a fresh polish in a festive color to boost your mood as we're approaching the holidays? Sounds like you are in need of some TLC and coddling. :console2: Looks like you have a yummy meal on the menu for this evening, enjoy and stay safe and warm with the incoming storms.
@Mayhip8
 
Can I come for dinner? :wave: Yum!
 
@Mayhip8-hope the weather isn’t too bad & you were able to do some things today. I wanted to tell you I share your frustration on doing some things like hair & nails. I just last week went to the salon (I am 9 weeks out I think) and had my toenails done because like you I simply can not reach them, YET-I’m going to add the yet. Bc I’m hoping & expecting for us both to get back on track & our bodies cooperating for a full recovery. ❤️‍

I hope you enjoyed your day & glad to read your post. Try not to be too hard on yourself, although I understand. I vent a lot here. Bc I am over this & want to be the old me again!!!
Right now I am hoping for a decent nights sleep . Hugs from Louisiana
 
Yum, your dinner sounds delicious, I'm hooked on a local Indian restaurant here close by & I keep ordering chicken korma! I make tiki masala but never tried to make the korma. My partner eats just about anything (except sweet potatoes), and not big fan of Indian cuisine. So I just get "to go" now & then when he's watching his Mom on his assigned days.
My big indulgence during recovery was chocolate almond chip ice cream...yum I must have gone through many containers & gained close to 15 pounds during recovery but fortunately I shed them all & then some!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
 
Yum, your dinner sounds delicious, I'm hooked on a local Indian restaurant here close by & I keep ordering chicken korma! I make tiki masala but never tried to make the korma. My partner eats just about anything (except sweet potatoes), and not big fan of Indian cuisine. So I just get "to go" now & then when he's watching his Mom on his assigned days.
My big indulgence during recovery was chocolate almond chip ice cream...yum I must have gone through many containers & gained close to 15 pounds during recovery but fortunately I shed them all & then some!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Re weight gain: My anaesthetist told me that most people gain weight in the weeks after the operation. I asked him if it was because the implant was 'really heavy'! He couldn't stop laughing. I mean, I was hoping it would be a good excuse.
 
I too have gained weight, but I think it’s because I’m bored . I was never a big sweets eater, however after this surgery I have been, so strange. I never drank cokes, but after surgery I wanted one & it was the best thing I’d ever tasted, and here I am weeks later still drinking a coke during the day. I need to stop this bad habit, I figure once healed I’ll work on that, because really why now?? lol Hopefully I too will shed these extra pounds quickly.
 
I think it is the drugs they put us on. Don't recovering opiate addicts crave sweet things? I have no actual knowledge but I am sure I saw it in a film.

I don't have a 'healthy' appetite. I am cooking my usual of some protein and lots of veg. I eat about half my usual serving. But then I want to pick between meals. Not a good habit but I am certain when I am busy again I won't have time to snack.

We will recover.
 
@mendogal - yes! Your’e invited to dinner ( it was, if I may say so myself, delicious. I’ll definately cook it again :yes:

@myglasshalffull I love an indian meal, I especially like to follow recipies from Nisha Katona, (MOWGLI) simple yet so tasty and authentic, however I also like a takeaway/delivery, no fuss! And a nice treat too .
My favourite ice cream at 9pm(!)is a MAGNUM white chocolate, or classic, or almond, or mango …guess I just like all Magnum ice creams :loveshwr:

@Phoebie yes! We will recover, sometimes I think your body craves what it needs, I’m eating more sultana and cherry cake with a slice of extra mature cheddar in the afternoon - wouldn’t normally bother. It goes really well with an afternoon film . And a cup of tea.
I’ve also developed a porridge addiction, I dice an apple or pear and cook in the oats with a teeeny tiny bit of sea salt flakes, a fingernali size dot of proper butter and a teeeeny squidge of honey…. Warm and filling before my morning walk.
I usually eat quite healthy food but confess to a craving for sweet stuff more than ever! Pleased I’m losing weight though as I only eat one meal a day ( starts at 8am, finishes at 9pm - see above ) :dancy::egypdance:

@msart thank you for your positive post. I hope you’re having a good day, I still can’t find anyone to do my hair or feet! But then again I wasn’t really in the mood, I’m pleased to say things seem to be balanced out today the Sun is shining ! Bonus!
My self-care day really helped, I’ve watched some cheerful stuff on the telly. It’s reassuring to know I’m not on my own and that these feelings are normal and thank you to everybody for your support. It really does mean a great deal .:thankyou: I am grateful.
@Layla yes- Bright red polish I think for my Xmas toes is a great idea !
Thankyou for your virtual hugs and kind words. It seems another storm has passed - physically and metaphorically
Sending love to all :flwrysmile::SUNsmile::curtsey:
 
Porridge is my go to Winter breakfast. Love it.

I see you are in the UK. Do you have a local or village FB page. If you do you could post to ask if there is a home visit hairdresser or pedicurist. Full disclosure: I love local FB groups. Mostly complaints like "Who is parking outside No 6"? Um they live there. Or "I have seen a man in a white van early mornings walking up to people's doors. Looks suspicious"! Yes, it's the milkman. But they can be a great source for services. Only if you can't wait to visit your usual.
 
@Phoebie , I posted on my local Facebook page this morning for a mobile hairdresser and had one lady contact me but then turned out to be unable to help me as she wanted me to go to her house as she was recovering from operation. Maybe not so mobile… I think I will try and get into my usual salon after my postop appointment on Friday. I started cutting my own hair in lockdown but did it outside so the birds could make nests with my hair,(in reality, it’s because it’s a damn site easier to tidy and clean up the hair :heehee:) -it’s too slippy and cold for me to do it now.
I love the local Facebook group -ours usually says “helicopter hovering over - does anyone what’s happened,?” or “is this your cat that keeps coming in my house, eating my cats food ?” or “ have you seen her at number 24 Her hair is SO so long? I can hear her toenails scratching on the pavement as she walks past with the crutches” :loll::loll:
Where in UK are you (ish) I’m in North west .
Well I might turn in for the evening I’ve just watched The Great British Bake Off final and I am nice and relaxed.

Hope everybody has a pleasant rest of the day and a good night sleep
Love to all
Xxxxxx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom