Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy, I have been exhibiting at an art fair this weekend, just saw that Pumpkin tagged me. Yes, i agree with Jamie that your case needs a specialist. Scar tissue is always a complex diagnosis. It is good that you will have some time to get the inflammation under control before the surgery too.

I stayed just one night in the hospital, althogh I did have a fair amount of pain the next night. I did get it under control with the pain meds I had, but just a heads up that I would not have wanted to drive home. by the am of the second day after surgery, I was in pretty good shape. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have. Kelly
 
Nancy,

I drove 6 1/2 hours each way to see Dr. Maale and have never regretted it! :) So don't worry about what others say, it's your life and your knee! Take care and keep us posted. :)
 
Hi Nancy, please don't let it bother you what others say. Its your body and up to you to choose.

Like Sonja, I travelled - in my case by plane as my surgeon is 1600kms away. People would say there's a perfectly good surgeon 180km away so why did I go so far? Because I trust him and he's looked after me for 15 years. Oh, and now I'm whispering - my local physios say they wouldn't send their dog to the surgeons 180km away! My optician even is 1600kms away too. So was my dentist until 18 months ago when I did find one here that I trust.
 
Nancy, I am so glad you finally have an answer!
If it was me- I would go for the debridement and see if he can scope your other knee too while you are under. One anesthesia, 2 answers.
I would definitely have the surgery done at HSS as it is an EXCELLENT hospital for joint surgeries- hands down.
Hubby can stay across the street in the housing HSS has for out of state and out of country patients' families, or obviously there are loads of hotels in NYC, or he can stay in NJ and take the train in (I would be glad to help with this; I thought a lot about it since you planned your trip to NYC).
I would think that a debridement stay would not be longer than one night, possibly two, and if you had the surg. on a Thurs. or Fri. the trip home is not as bad. We took the train in the day of my surg. and I was discharged on a Sunday so the traffic would be easier on the weekend.
Certainly you have a lot to think about! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hey JANCAT,
Oh I'll have a lot of questions for you....1st no one mentioned to me about housing across the way from HSS where my hubby could stay. I guess I could start by calling the main number, but do you remember what dept. takes care of that?

Also You're right about the stay if it is just debridement he said 2 nights stay then off I go. have looked on bonesmart for answer to whether I can fly home right after but most of the scenarios where based on vacations/not flying a short distance right after surgery. I'll have to ask Sonja, thought I think she stayed with family for awhile before she flew back home.
Yes, we would want to stay on NJ side the night before the surgery and that's where I'll bug you about hotels and stations and stuff when I start to jell this together.
I know I'm on the right track and with the right people..nothing against my local doctor from BMH, especially since tkr is intact and no infection.
Thanks Jancat, :kittykiss:wish I could hit the "Thank You", but where did it go???I can't find that option...or I just haven't adjusted to the new system/forum.
Nancy2
 
I don't see any problem with flying home after you are stable! Make sure when you book the airlines that you request a wheelchair so they will get you through the airport on both ends. Plus, you and your hubby go to the head of the line for security, and you will preboard so you won't have to worry about people running into you!:wink:
 
Hi Nancy, I had my TKR on a Wednesday and flew home 2 hour flight the following Tuesday. Surgeon okay'd this. Also, my husband has had 3 lots of ortho surgery (ACL knee, and rotator cuff shoulders x 2), and surgery day 1, and flew home day 4. I don't think surgeon would have been keen for him to fly sooner than this. Hope this all helps your decision making. Best of luck.
 
Nancy, if you want the surgeon to do both knees at once, i would write letter and send it to him, detailing your exact request. I get much better service this way than relying on a phone message. So often, the phone messages are not exactly what I said---remember, the person taking the message gives it a slant.

I find the emailing is a perfectly acceptable way to do this or, snail mail, also. K
 
Oh, sorry, I think that with the new system, you hit the "likes" button on the right hand lower side of the screen instead of the the old "thanks" button. k
 
Trying to catch up on forum - Wow-wonder what it would be like if we all went on a cruise together? HAHA. Well nobody could sneak in to our private party room - our scars of many colors and zig zags would be our ticket in!
I'm still counting the days till the 31 to fly to NYC to HSS - I'm leaving my thread and going to check out how Jan is doing.

Thanks for the advice Kelly, this adhesion thing is something I'm very anxious to talk over with Dr. Bostrom.
:iagree: I faxed the Dr. and then he replied back with letting me know that they have set up time for me for the other knee to have x rays taken - as it has never had tests of any kind. So I believe Dr. B and I are on same page. Plus I keep in frequent contact with his Phy. Assist. So we'll see.
 
Hi Nancy, I had a revision 8 months ago that was 900 miles from where I lived. I spent one night (24 hours) in the hospital due to financial reasons than I got a hotel and had to stay 2 more nights before flying back to my home (2 hour flight). The surgeon said that it was important to use a blood thinner prior to flying and wanted me to be on it for 3 days (self injection each day for 10 days). I wore compression stockings on both legs to fly and got up and stretched a few times. I did well but was also pretty drugged. I did this all by myself, I am a little crazy but I did my bilateral TKR by myself in India, as well. So, I am sure you will do fine.
 
Nancy, you are one tough woman. It is amazing what lengths we will go to so that we can save money. I have been there and know exactly how it works. You do what you have to do and that is that!! I am so glad that you got that leg fixed however as I think it was slowing you down. K
 
Nancy, I was looking at that big Sting Ray and saw the peson next to it! Is that you? Are you diving again?
I have to admit that I will ski down any hill in the world, but I am not comfortable in water!! I like my water frozen. We lived in Florida when I was a kid and occasionally caught sting rays while fising--but not huge like that one. K
 
It just seemed like after 5 or 6 months out of my RTKR so many were taking great strides- I was not. It got harder for me to read the posts, I was doing all the execises, going to PT rarely missing, but could never do steps. Always had to ice it -always. Pain looms like a shadow overtaking me.
I had to find another Primary care Physician as mine was too hard to even get an appt. with he "honeymooned" with a 2nd position and many of his patients just got tired.
But I had a 3 month loll from Dec 2011 till I found another one early March. By then (6-16-11 TKR) I was feeling lost without the PCP I had trusted for 13 years.
Finally my PT (she is my rock) my husband very supportive but has not been where I am. She and I began to think "outside the box" she gave me the name of a physician ..story too long and I am too upset. I ended up getting a bone scan this week I couldn't believe it when I went in and met a "pain management md" He gave me the report and stressed "get second opinion ASAP" He couldn't believe that after 10 months I was still doing pt, constant pain, knee swollen, cannot do steps to save my life. Now I guess I know why, here it is " Slightly increased activity at the bone-prosthesis interface of the right knee prosthesis on all 3 phases as described above raise the possibility of septic loosening of the prosethesis". He asked me had I ever had it drained I said NO, he asked had I seen the OS that often told him YES 3 times-he took XRays and said looks good. This doctor again encouraged me to quickly seek attention he explained "septic" means bacteria/infection -my heart stopped with dread, and that there would be no reason for him to do the steriod injections into my back for my leg pain-said all is coming from TKR.
I am going to someone asap Monday who is from a much larger city then where I am from. I have my PT to thank for her suggestion of this new OS. But septic/infection - I've read enough to know there's a high probability of this awful surgery and I had horrendous pain before, what would be the difference again.
How and when did this happen? I did have dental implants done 6 months out of tkr, but took the antibiotics exactly as I was told to do. But I remember trying to make it up the 4 step to the Dentist's office that am, my shadow- pain followed me right in. So I really don't think I can single that out. What's to stop it from happening again.
I kknow too long a post. But...I feel victimized.
Oh nancy2, My heart goes out for you right now. I understand the disappointment of losing your pcp after so many years. (I had the same experience 3 yrs ago and I was simply lost until I found another pcp) It sounds like your PT is the best and directed you to some good OS help. Know you are not alone in this and you can come here anytime for encouragment. Keep posting your progress and I will keep reading. Praying hard for you nancy2. :console2:
 
Nancy2, there are too many Nancies here!! I was just wondering how your leg is doing.

I found that when I had scar tissue--no matter what I did, my scar tissue got worse and worse. It started out wonding like velcro ripping every now and then. It ended up with a constant velcro sound whenever I moved.

Adhesions just form on some folks--genetics at work. Other, like me, pushed a bit on my first knee and had had several surgeries prior to the big one. Also, my spacer was a little small, and so I had some motion in there. All of that added up to my knee. Your knee is different, but I agree with you that you were smart to run from that aggressive pt.

I am sure it is hard to juggle work with a swollen, stiff knee. How are you doing? Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly and Nancy for the input! Well my flight time non stop once the surgery was done is only 1 & 15 minutes - then 1 hour drive home. So I will ask Dr. Bostrom-I have sooo many ?'s for him. Yes my PT lady is a God send. That other one I sure would like to see her out n about someday - neutral territory and tell her, how she is misusing her training. NEVER again-I will speak up every time.
Kelly are you saying that no matter what they did the scar tissue kept coming back? Dr B did say same thing you did "it's genetics" :umm:Phooey! That and an infection setting in are my 2 biggest concerns - and I know there are no guarantees. Aug 31st can't come soon enough for me.
Leisa - you read my novel of a post- thanks for caring so much, yes when you really have built up trust over time - and you just get pushed aside ( so many of us did) you stumble for awhile.
Catch you Bone Smarties Later!
Nancy
 
Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear about how doctors have treated you! We pay them and sometimes they act like they are so superior! I am saddened to hear about the possibility of an infection, but please know this, a great revisionist like you have found, can make you feel great again! It will take time. Listen carefully to the things you are supposed to do and not in the weeks after surgery and you will be fine!

I will be praying for you! :angel:
 
Nancy, since there is surgery, there will be some scarring. My leg is "fuller" than it used to be and some of it is
tissue. But and this is a big BUT--I am not in pain. I went on a 20 mile bike ride yesterday and my kneecap did not hurt.

So, yes, some of the scarring is there still. But it is not as bad as it was. The op was worth it to me. The hardest thing was that for 8 weeks, I did nothing except leg lifts and quad sets and heel slides. My doc told me not to exercise on a warm and swollen knee----he feels inflammation helps more scar tissue to form. So, I took it easy. Now, my right leg has a defined quad and my left leg has a wrinkled bag where a muscle used to live. I am getting stronger, but it is taking a lot of time and work. Kelly
 
Hey everyone
Thought I would post this evening, getting a little anxious in a good way about Friday's flight in to NYC to see Dr. Bostrom.
I feel like I have tooo many questions and some of them maybe will seem "mundane" to him. As we all know from experience you gotta hit that Dr. w ?'s and info cause you won't get another chance for a long time. Once you're out of their office...it's so hard to get a ? answered.

So I just hope I do a lot of listening 1st (that's my biggest problem) then make sure I ask all the right questions:shrug:. If anyone has ?'s they think I might want to ask on this revision / debridement procedure, ,please post me.
I will be at work all day tomorrow but will check when I get home in the evening. Then it's off to an early bedtime as we will need to leave the house at 6AM. But that's a better time then before, last time we had to get up at 3:30 Am to catch a 6 AM flight. I think this will help me not be so tired and have my wits about me. Seems like its hard to remember all the stuff the Dr. says - though at the time you think your going to remember it all!

I don't know why but the biggest thing that is bothering me is that he won't see my problem as "significant" when the MRI showed "...mild scarring of the suprapatellar" but he did say if I tried pilates (which I did do) and nothing was gained, the debridement would be the next option. Ohh I'm just guessing again. ugh
Ok I'm done posting...I'm rambling...I'm jittery !:rolleyes: Nite all!!
Nancy2
 
Nancy, I got the email from the nurse in my doc's office--and that was a great way to get a question answered. K
 
Nancy I hope you get the answers you need. Praying for peace and the best result possible for you. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom