Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy, does sound like something is going on. What you can start with is have your doc do blood work. See what your white count and Sed rate is. That will eliminate or clarify what is going on. I would try to see someone in morning.
As far as allergies to meds. Been there done that! Still not sure what I had reaction to but had a bad one. Everyone is different. My mom took celebrex for 2 years then tongue swelled, had to quit taking it.
Seems like you should have had some kind of antibiotic, with surgery.
Hopefully you can get some answers tomorrow. As you know if it is infection (if it is infection) is nothing to mess around with. Try to get some bloodwork for some answers!
 
:console2: Nancy,
We are here for you, like Mary said call HHS now, there should be an OS on call to speak with. I take Celebrex without any side effects. Please keep us posted, someone will be here for you tonight. I will tag Jaycey, skigirl, and bottomshollow, one of the moderators should be here soon. Please take good care, wish I could help more.
 
Nancy, do you have a prescription in hand for future dental work that you could quickly fill if needed? Or is that the amoxicilin? Just thinking...
 
Nancy, Take a deep breath, even two or three untill you feel better. Get into this minute, right now. Now that you have taken the deep breath. Try to think of what you can do this minute, Right now to help the situation. If you can't call anyone remember you can come here and let us know you are ok. When I am scared I make a list of all the good things in life. Sometimes it just that I am able to make a list. Example of my list right now. I have roof over my head, food in my stomach, Able to have surgrey. Have many freinds on the internet. Then I list the people I post with. If you have pets, I think you get the idea. Do see if you are running a fever. How about using ice on your knee. Could you be having a axienty attack. If so , you are going to be ok. You are in my prayer. You also could have conversation on this site. Take care, you will be ok. Take care. Love Tashia:console2:
 
Thanks so very much Mary, Janet and Rose, I didn't think anyone would see this - this time of night. I emailed Dr. Bostrom's R.N. and am faxing it now to their office too. I told them I am calling my local physician at 9 am that's when they get in.
Yes, I am freaked out, I was bleary eyed when I was discharged, and my husband never got the chance to ask about antibiotics last week, but I should have this week.

Janet, you're right - I will survive the night :beg:but I never miss a chance to worry myself to death. Well not death, but
definitely sleepless and anxious.

The only thing that was different was the celebrex. Here's praying that that is it. Today I did very little, I did some housework, walked the parking lot to the restaurant and walked a little to the theater, a "calm" day for my knee compared to walking all over Wal Mart the other day - so it doesn't add up.

I am glad I have located another OS in a nearby city that I have heard really good things about & I researched him and had the chance to talk to 1 recent tkr patient and 1 thr - and had every intention of starting up with him - I didn't know about him when I had found HSS. I knew that as I got older and my joints began to give out in the future I needed to find someone around here - I would never go back to the OS who did my original TKR here in my town.

I also put in email, that whether right or wrong I had 500mg of amoxicillin with me this evening and I took 3 of them at 7 pm and I will take 3 more when I go to bed. It's the rx regimen I'm on when I get dental work done - I'll probably be told it was a dumb idea - but whatever.
Thank you so much. Yes, I will post as soon as I find out what is going on. And YES, I will be assertive with the doctors staff - I need to be seen right away! I will ask to if I'm to cancel the physical therapy I was to start tomorrow - my knee is hurting and doesn't look swollen but feels tight like a band is around it again. But might be because it is not getting the correct phy therapy it needs. The script seems to read for a lot of stretching exercises and that should be good.

Here's to tomorrow and thank you all - I promise I will definetly post and I promis to keep it short!:ok:

Nancy
 
Thanks Tasha,

I know just try to stay calm. But so many of us have had to face surgery after surgery just because of an infection. It's our worst nightmare, right?

Yes, Janet I do have plenty of Amoxicillin and I am taking it, right or wrong. I think if I remember Jancat's post from this summer didn't she happen to start taking antibiotics too and they may have helped her in the long run?

I'm sorry it took me so long to post back but I had to get that fax sent.

Yes Tasha me and the cats are going to ice the knee and try and get some sleep but I am setting my alarm for early in the morning and I am hitting this with all the URGENCY I can.

You Ladies are ggrre eeaaaaaaaatttt! :kittykiss:
Nancy
 
Good night and do have a good night sleep. Talk to you in the morning, your time. I am in the west but will be in the late morning your time. Take care and you will be ok. Tashai
 
I do understand how panicky you feel right now. I spent sever anxious days thinking that my knee was turning red. I finally realized that it was warm and a little red from the surgery. Yes, you may have a problem, and if so, you will handle it in the am. for now, I probably would have taken an antibiotic myself, but I hope it does not skew the tests that you will take. Be sure to let them know what antibiotic and how much tomorrow.

For now, try to give yourself a chance to rest. If you cannot sleep, then lie down and just let yourself drift a little. I think it will not help your knee to be up all night with you pacing or walking on that knee.

I live in a small town too and I have some fear of big city hospitals. I know that everyone talks about HSS as some sort of mecca, but it is still a busy, big city hospital. I think that people like us are used to people who engage with us. We are used to friendly people who care about us. My nurse is a friend and I also know the nurse supervisor quite well.
A nurse who speaks to only a patient is actually violating most hospital rules. I know that when my husband was in the hospital, I had to sign the discharge form and he had to sign for me. The thinking is that the person who is going to be the caregiver needs to know about the care. Yes, I think a nurse who only speaks to a patient who has just had surgery is negligent and I think I would write a letter to the hospital to suggest that they examine their practice.

I understand how difficult this will be for you and urge you to try to relax a little tonight. Lack of sleep sometimes induces bad decisions and you will need to be on your toes tomorrow. I hope your husband can go with you so that you have some help. If someone is talking to you and you do not understand, it is your right to ask. You can simply say, I want my husband to come into the room with me. No one ever argues with us when we say that. In the hospital, you could have asked for your husband--but I am sure you were too dazed to think of it at the time.

Nancy, I do feel for you---I know first hand how scary it is to go through all of this. We care about you, let us know what tomorrow brings for you. My thoughts will be with you. Kelly
 
Nancy, i am so sorry you are having problems, i do pray, you get answers today. I agree with Kelly, that a nurse who only speaks to the patient, especially why they are looped out, is definatley negligent, Any surgery I have had, they always speak to my husband, who then relays the message to me when I am coherent enough to grasp it. Visa-versa with my husband, if he has a procedure the dr will speak with me, and i will fill hubby in on it later.
Thoughts and prayers going out to you today.:flwrysmile:
 
Nancy, Wasn't the knee somewhat warm after surgery? It should have been since it was healing and inflamed.
Based on my infection experience- I would advise not to take antibiotics as if there is an infection it would be hard now to find out the 'bug' if you take abx and Godforbid you do have an infection. That is what happened to me- I was taking Augmentin for a sinus infection and no one could get a positive culture from the knee or blood because of that.
Someone is on call at HSS. When I was in Maine and called on a Sunday I was called back in 20 minutes, so do call.
I am not sure if we are always put on abx after all surgeries, maybe Orthodoc or Josephine can clarify that.
 
Sorry, could not finish reply (computer want to select attachments when I get to the bottom of the reply screen sometimes).
I am sorry you are going through this Nancy and hope this is part of the healing process and NOT an infection. I think some blood markers (CRP and /or sed rate0 for infection are also elevated for a few days post op, so be careful there.
So sorry that HSS disappointed since I recommended it.
Please keep us posted. Wishing you the best.
 
Ooh, Nancy, Nancy, Nancy - don't get yourself so stewed up! It's perfectly normal for TKRs to get pink/red and hot in the first few weeks after surgery and it's just a sign of the busy way your body is dealing with the healing process. Meaning it goes into overdrive at this stage. Besides which, deep infection really wouldn't show at this early stage. In my experience, that usually shows up at about 24-21 days. By all means get it checked out but if your surgeon says anything more than "nothing to worry about" I'll eat my frilly nurses hat! :wink:
 
Morning All,
Well I iced the knee off n on last night and got up bright and early and called my local family doc - the staff was great and got me in at 11 am. Dr. S. took a look at it and it isn't nearly as warm but definetly still red straight down the old incision scar.

As we talk about Celebrex and the new stitches, I ask him well what about Dr. Bostrom? and he says what's his number let's call him - and he did! At first staff explained he was seeing patients but Dr. S. hung in there and a few minutes later Bostrom and Dr. Samuel talk. They decide I needed to get blood work done the one was a CBC, there were 2 others also, can't remember what they were and the script gets sent electronically so I did n't have a hard copy.
I was indirectly chastised by Dr. B. for taking amoxicillin, I am to stop immediately, but stay on the Celebrex. And stay off the knee, just rest it, ice it and not so much trooping around, but follow thru with calling late Thurs or early Fri for blood results and pray :beg:the results of bloodwork are negative for infection. The red area around the old scar and not the 1 week old one does seem to have both docs trying to figure out what's going on. ME TOO!

What a sleepless night, but what a blessing you all are - I was not alone. I know the good Lord is with me always - but sometimes he can't type as fast as we can - especially in the middle of the night! :umm:ummm that's kinda my humour coming back.

Am going to get a cup of tea, ice the knee and take a nap. Oh take a Celebrex I guess too.
Nancy
 
Oh NO JAN, do not think that at all! I will never regret going to HSS, I think Dr. Bostrom is Top Dog. Really - some of their
staffing could be improved on - but no you helped me so much and so did they. HEy if not but for them remember...I was told in my town and in Pittsburgh no way with the MRI that's why I lived with this for 15 months! But it was HSS's MRI and Dr. Bostrom that got the ball rolling.

And if I ever need a revision or the leftknee needs a tkr - and I better surgeon could not be found around Western PA - I am back to HSS. But I do need an OS locally just to keep link my health care together when it comes to orthopedics.

You have been so much help and you have gone thru soo much too! And you cared enough to hang in there with me.

Thank you Jan!
Nancy
 
Oh Josephine, Josephine, I do work up quite a stew don't I?! See all I needed was to wake you up at 4 am last night and...problem solved! Yes my mind goes in to overdrive just like my body. my family doc said do you know the meaning of "rest"? And then proceeded to ream me out but kindly - I got the message. And as from my recent post - got the blood work done and will wait results.

But it would have really been "wicked cool" too see you it a frilly nurses hat! I didn't think they wore those anymore.

Ok celebrex, tea and ice here I come! Oh and it will be Chamomille Josephine it calms the body down, right-o?
Thanks for being you!
Nancy
 
Hi Nancy, sorry you have to go through all this. Please try to stay calm while waiting for the blood results. I pray they are negative.
[Bonesmart.org] May Have Loosening Of My Implant!
 
Nancy,
Glad we could have been there for you. I know how that goes, it sounds like me to a T. Hope all goes well with the bloodwork and please let us know what is going on when you find out. If you need anymore middle of the night help you can usually find me on here about 11pm/midnight EST. Don't worry usually you can find someone, and no it isn't a bother.
 
Just FYI to anyone reading this . . . the protocol for possible infection is to get samples (e.g. blood, tissue, urine, where the infection might be) before starting antibiotics so the antibiotics don't alter the test results.

Nancy, it's a great moment when you can be there with your doctor and your ortho on the phone. So you know everything got communicated and the appropriate steps are being taken.

Fortunately I'm not a worrier and I consider it a blessing . . . although I'm good at having a sense of dread when things aren't going well.
 
Hmm You know, if I had those amoxicillins in me, wonder why one of the Docs didn't have me hold off in getting the bloodwork for say 24-36 hours - or however long it would take for the amx to be out of my system.

Well like Josephine said it would take a true infection to take longer to show up - like 21-24 days. And this just started 9 days after the surgery.
With all your advice and thoughts...I'm thinking...I have to go back in next Wednesday they are removing a benign very tiny mole from near the lower part of my cheek -I know I have to take antibiotics for that before hand as that appt was set up when the stitches came out and Dr. reminded me to take the amx.
HERE'S MY BIG THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Well not that big..but- when I go back in next week to get that done maybe I should ask Dr. for script to redo the bloodwork. With the understanding I would wait for the time he specifies that amx I took for the laser treatment is out of my system and then a really good result would come back? And they could compare the 2?
Once again I am so not medically inclined, but good idea? yea/nay?
Ok time to go ice elevate Yadayadayada. I can't wait for the day when my freezer isn't full of those gel packs and I can fit food into it.:kittykiss:Nancy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom