Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jancat,

Yes I had been searching online for "revision" surgeons for tkr's and I came across quite a few. Some here in Western PA, as far as Texas, but there was one that I kinda kept going back to-HSS the Hospital for Special Surgery. Then I saw your post! I went back at it again ( would that I would have done all of this the 1st time-critical lesson)

Made a call to their general number. They called me back and told me there were 4 that for my situation and my insurance coverage -these were the ones I could contact on my own. I had wanted Dr. Westrich-but he did not except my insurance. But Dr. Bostrom did, I singled him out by reading everything I could find out. Cornell, Boettner, Mayman were in the running but I called Dr. Bostrom's office-it will be a long wait. I had made the call April 18th. So a little over a 2 month wait.
So Dr. Bostrom last Wed. in JUNE (27th). Sorry anyone from the NYC area, but our son lived in Brooklyn for awhile and we only visited 3 times (he's in the Navy now) but we just cannot stand the immensity of the city, one wrong driving mistake and ...ugh we dread the nightmare-but hoping and praying it will be worth it. We just had a very bad experience there - we were fortunate our son was with us as 2 young men began to assault my husband.
You have been there right? Had your TKR done by Dr. Haas and you said hospital staff was great. Did Haas look over all your xrays, bones scans, things like that? Or did he have HSS do more tests?
But you probably don't know anything about Dr. Bostrom - oh well if you can give me any info on easy way to get in and out of the area that would ease our mind.
Well you asked 1 ? and I have you a novel - :blush: Sorry!
Nancy
 
Nancy, Last year I did a young pt for a bone scan; he was only in his 20s. He had had both hips and both knees replaced by Dr. Bostrum and praised him highly. As I recall, he had maybe a juvenile arthritis or RA, can't remember exactly. BTW, he was there for a shoulder issue, nothing at all to do with his replaced joints. I think you are in excellent hands.
It took me 3 months to see Dr. Haas. His office made an appt. for me to have xrays an hour before I saw him. He then went over them with me during my consult with him. I had a great consult with him, never rushed. I was there for my TKA consult with him, so did not have bone scans or other tests to show.
HSS was superb. I think anyone who has been there would agree. I have worked in a few hospitals, some with stellar reputations, and I felt that this place was exceptional. My only complaint is actually with Dr. Haas' office staff- had a few minor pre-op mixups, but since then it has been smooth sailing. I don't think I could have ortho surg. anywhere else, even for something 'minor'.
Although I grew up in a large NJ city across the river from NYC and spent a lot of time there when younger, I am still overwhelmed when I go there. I would NEVER drive there myself. I take the train from NJ to midtown, then a taxi to HSS. The trip each way is about 2.5 hours. Very easy and worth the $. Thank goodness I was on super drugs when husband picked me up from surgery! I planned it so I would be discharged on the weekend because there would be less traffic then. As it was I fell asleep in the car as soon as we left the hospital and I woke up in the parking lot of the drugstore where hubby was getting my scripts filled, just 10 minutes from home sweet home! I missed the whole trip (a bit under 2 hours).
Are you staying overnight there? Maybe you could stay overnight in Princeton then take the train from there to NY (New Jersey Transit-very easy, if you want to do this let me know). The train ride ends at 33rd st. (Madison Square Garden). Exit to street level and the taxi queue is right there. The taxi ride from there to HSS is ~$17. That might be an easier option for you. Unfortunately parking in the Princeton train station is impossible, so you might need to get an early train or a cab. A lot of Princeton people do what I do and drive to the Hamilton station, where it is very easy to park.
If you want to explore that, let me know, I can give you names and numbers. Princeton is beautiful in June and the University students will be gone by then. It is probably cheaper than staying in NY, and quite easy to get to NY from there.
Good luck and keep us posted.
p.s. Want to add that HSS docs have their own protocols for xrays, etc. so don't be alarmed when you go there and they want to do more xrays.
 
Jancat,
Thanx for the info. I feel really "solid" good about seeing Dr. Bostrom. It really helps to hear about HSS and the patient you had. I only found one negative about him and it was a female patient, I seemed to recall that she thought he was very "terse" with her. For as many patients he sees, each with our own personalities, fears, etc. -well one does not tip the scales for me. I'm just in this woulda shoulda coulda mode-why didn't I do this before my initial "virgin" knee surgery??:sigh:
Anyway, yes if you could expound on best/least stressful way to get to HSS that would help. I would like to get cracking on a hotel soon as June is very much a part of vacation summertime.

I don't want to take up a lot of the forum posts with this but would appreciate the help and guidance. :)
Thanks again!:cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Hey Bonesmarties,

Well I'm still on for the last Wednesday in June for HSS. I think Dr. P from UPMC in Pittsburgh may have done me some good with the cortisone shot. My knee/knee cap area seems not to hurt nearly as much. Whether this is just the shot or I'm maybe some how miraculously seeing a light at the end of the tunnel coming up on 1 year, I don't know. I just know I am not cancelling my New York appt. at HSS. I blessed to have very good insurance and I'm taking advantage of it and getting the most "expert" opinion I can get.
Having a little difficulty getting UPMC to give me my xray disk, but I have time to work on that-and I'll get it.
Thanx Jancat and Josephine for hanging in there with me. I gotta go check the rest of the forum to see how everyone is doing.
Oh FYI someone on the forum suggested ebay to purchase the coldpack they used on me at PT and I got...really helps.
Take care
Nancy
 
Good Luck, Nancy! The guy I met who had surg. with Dr. Bostrum told me that he never walked until he had surg. with Dr. Bostrum! His story was so remarkable- that is why I can remember him so clearly! He had both knees done at the same time, and then his hips!
I think you will have excellent results!
Keep us posted and Good Luck!
 
Traveling from the east from Long Island, I've tried driving, taking the subway, and taking a cab - and I have to agree that taking a taxi from Penn Station is the easiest way to get to HSS. I recommend exiting Penn via the 8th Avenue exit to street level because that taxi stand heads you uptown and may save a few dollars. Catching a taxi back to Penn can be difficult depending on the time of day. We found it tough in the late afternoon during rush hour - but not impossible. That was the only downside regarding HSS. It was a pain to get to with no close subway line. But their expertise certainly outweighs any amount of inconvenience. HSS is ranked as the #1 orthopedic hospital in the U.S.

Good luck with your consultation next week, Nancy.
 
Thanks Jancat and Mapmaker53, I called HSS yesterday and talked to a really caring and informative guy at their C2C unit. It didn't take long before I realized just flying in would be less expensive and easier and both me and my husband. So that is what we are doing, also he gave me a great website www.nycairporter.com -it has a schedule for shuttle that leave from the airports and get us very near HSS, then we'll just take a taxi to the hospital.
I am very much looking forward to this appt. I think Dr. Bostrom opinion will be something definitive in this knee pain/swollen issue.
Jancat, know you are seeing your doc soon, will be thinking of you, and waiting to read your post-thanx for the help on NYC and you too Mapmaker53-I still might have questions later!!
Have a great day everybody:biggrin:
 
Good Luck, Nancy! It sounds like a good plan. You should stay overnight and go to a Broadway show!
This is who I have used in the past, if you are interested: https://www.broadwaybox.com/ Prices are very good!
You pick the tickets up at the theater.
Don't know if you are into cooking shows, but Lydia Bastiani's restaurant Becco is on restaurant row not too far (4 blocks) from the theater district: https://becco-nyc.com/ and the food is great!
Let us know how it goes!
Janice
 
Well here it is early in the morning of June 16, 2012 - 1 year anniversary of my rtkr. I haven't been on the forum much lately-I have a lot of catching up to do. I just feel like I flunked a test or something-1 year and I'm still icing and elevating to no avail.
Well I'm on schedule for seeing Dr. Bostrom in New York in 11 days. The one doctor I did seem to think had potential-Dr. Plakseychuk has left UMPC and transferred to another Pittsburgh hospital. Meanwhile I'm trying to get my medical records from somebody at UPMC to take with me to NY.
I'm thinking I'm going to ask Dr. Bostrom to xray my left knee as well - as it is really kicking up.
Have any of you Bonesmarties been on Lyrica (for sciatia pain post tkr)? It helps but it has some really bad side effects. Just wondering.
Well I'm going to go check the boards and find out how you're all doing.
Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's in our forum!
 
Hi Nancy,
I’ve been reading through your thread. Boy, you’ve sure had a rough time of it. I haven’t been to HSS but have heard wonderful things about it, I think you made a wise choice going there. I hope your appt with Dr. Bostrom goes well and you can finally be pain free.
Best of luck to you!
 
Nancy- I can't wait for your appointment with Dr. Bostrum!
I head back to work this Thursday, so will most likely be on BS only in the evening- but I WILL be checking in!
Good luck!
 
Thanks Jancat and Morning Glory, hey Jancat I love the old scrabble game but am clueless on the word game you guys are playing...it sounds like you don't have other players you have "victims" HAHA!
Hey were do I need to post to see if other members have used Lyrica and get some feedback on that? I am getting the hang of this forum...but don't want to post in the wrong place.
Night'all
 
I think you can post here unless the mods think that should be a new thread. Jamie;
Nancy- the rules for Words With Friends are very similar to Scrabble, I think it is mostly the point values and the 'allowed words' that is the only (?) difference. Come play with us- it is loads of fun.
 
Hey were do I need to post to see if other members have used Lyrica and get some feedback on that? I am getting the hang of this forum...but don't want to post in the wrong place.
Night'all
nancy2; Nancy....since your question is off topic for this particular thread, it would be best if you post it on a new thread in the recovery forum.
 
Hi Nancy,

My doctor used Lyrica while I was recovering from my TKR in march. I don't remember any side effects specifically but I was taking so many things then. I asked him what that was for and he said, nerve pain. Whatever the combo he was giving me was good because I do not have a memory of having excessive pain in the hospital, other than when the cold pack was not working. I did not have a prescription for later so I guess I only was taking it for less than a week, along with oxycodone, ibuprofen, tylenol, and other assorted goodies.
I did have some sciatica when I got home and the PT worked with me on things I could do to help that. I also used the old tennis ball trick my chiropractor showed me years ago for it. So I did not take meds for it later.
Betsy
 
Well here it is early in the morning of June 16, 2012 - 1 year anniversary of my rtkr. I haven't been on the forum much lately-I have a lot of catching up to do. I just feel like I flunked a test or something-1 year and I'm still icing and elevating to no avail.Well I'm on schedule for seeing Dr. Bostrom in New York in 11 days.

Nancy, I am holding good thoughts for you and wishing you all the best for your visit with Dr. Bostrom!
 
Nancy,

We will all be waiting to hear your report!

I hope they can get this figured out! :)
 
Hi Everybody,
Thank you so so much for the support...I took some time away from checking my carryon bag (like 3 times) to make sure all my medical records and disks are there...I came home early from work. I AM A NERVOUS WRECK!:yikes: We have to be up at 3AM in order to get to the Piitsburgh airport in time. We will wonder around NYC for hours before the 1 pm appt. and since I was too afraid to take an early evening flight home(doctors run late ya know)...having no clue all the jumps and move to get from point A to point B I chose a late 9:30 PM flight home. But I really shouldn't be anxious so much Jancat and Mapmaker53 you guys were of great help and my husband has lined up the shuttle and the taxi area to get over to HSS. Thank you!

I spoke with a very nice woman from Dr. Bostrom's office and all is set. I have no idea what this doctor will say...I am just so scared and God bless 'em some of my family and friends just look at me and ask "Why why would you go to New York"! Ugh....I tell them I don't know about them but I have 2 knees attached to two legs...and I'm gonna do a better job of this surgeon thing than I did last time. Right Sonja?!
I thought the swelling tight feeling around my knee area and the sciatic? if that's what's causing the pain running down my hip calf and into foot was going to just put me down for the count yesterday. Maybe all the walking and trying stairs will have it acting up and then the doc will get a better idea.
I'm not afraid if the surgery has to be done there...it will be fact and I KNOW it will be a excellent physician, it's just the not knowing and I'm just a country bumpkin...uhhh with a gimpy tkr and with the real McCoy right behind it.
Thanks for the prayers...will post either at a crazy hour of the morning Thursday or very late after we both get sleep.
Nancy2
 
Nancy,
I am so proud of you for following through and finding someone who can help you! Life is so much better when your knee doesn't hurt anymore!:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom