Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to your next post. Wishing you the best!
 
Hey Bone Smarties,
I am back from NYC (oh my Jan I don't know how you do it) HSS was everything I'd hoped for, modern, so up to date, clean and pretty much all staff very kind. I first met with Dr. Bostrom's assistant Yvonne, she was kind and detailed about the history of my knee (I took all the pics xrays and scans since the 1st scoping in 2009) to all thinga current). SHE wrote done the website for bonesmart- she really wanted to know about how the form functions. Of course I was raving about it - BLESS YOU JOSEPHINE :kittykiss: Dr. Bostrom came in really quick, started to physically see what my knee could and could not do. I didn't have to tell him about the swelling-are you kidding after pounding around Pittsburgh and NYC 5 hours before I saw him -it was acting up ....swollen, stiff, I was in pain. Well the first thing he told his assistant was "set up an MRI NOW" my hubby and I both started talking at the same time "NO NO the original physician, and Pittsburgh md said no mri. He said "That's why you're here" He also had me walk a short distance and then said lets get an xray of hip. OH no not sure what that means. Here they have 9 MRI machines (our hosiptial has 1)
I also signed a waiver that GE has a new state of the art camera and could they use it to take pic the last 5 minutes of the 45 grueling minutes inside MRI- at no cost to me I said YES. But their MRI's are slim, slight machines much different than ours. Real medical terms, aye...sorry legal I am, medical ..not
.
Here's the hang up...my dumb insurance was slow in giving them a preauthorization number, we wasted 2 hours waiting. So I called them. After I was put on hold blue cross/shield rep said are you really in the state of NEW York? I said yes, she said well go ahead you don't need a Pre auth but if you were in your home state of PA you would! What!! I got off phone went to dr office they put it thru and I was down getting the MRI in 15 minutes. UGh so I DID NOT GET TO SEE DR BOSTROM AGAIN- IT WAS 5:30 BY THE TIME THEY WERE DONE WITH ME. He did speak with my hubby and said as soon as MRI AND XRAY are in and the accompanying reports...he will call me, it looks like maybe tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully Monday.

I start back to work Tuesday, and it weighs heavy on me that if another surgery is necessary, where I work they just cannot go thru another 2 month period where I'll be gone that long. IT's a small office and I guess, it will be what it will be.

Thank you from myself and also my husband wanted to me all extend his appreciation- we got support and real time help with this journey.

Sonja, I thought of you and all the road blocks you went thru-mine we're small campared to yours! How ya doin?
Jancat, MapMaker53, your support was key, and I know I can call on you again for info should it be that the revision is to be at HSS.

Well Lets see what happens next all I know was it felt good to be in my own bed at sleep till Noon!
 
Nancy,

Don't worry about me because God had a plan all along! :yay: I am just so happy that Dr. Bostrum did not "send you away!". You have found a great one from the way it sounds! :yahoo: Keep us posted and I will keep praying for you!
 
Nancy- What else did he say? Did he think you needed a revision? What did he think was amiss?
 
I'm happy you feel that your very long trip was worth it, Nancy. They try not to waste time at HSS. I like the fact that if they feel they need to do an MRI they do it right then and there. I'll be interested to hear their findings. If you have any additional questions for when the doctor calls you to follow up, I recommend writing them down so you don't forget what you want to ask him while on the phone.
 
Wow, that was a productive and worthwhile trip! How wonderful that the BoneSmart community was able to recommend HSS and Dr. Bostrom!
 
Hi everyone,
Just an FYI, I called Dr. Bostrom's office this morning, spoke with his PA, she put me on hold, went to check something, came back on phone and told me my MRI and report were on his desk. I explained that Tues, Wed (forgot it was 4th of July) Thursday, I'm in the office or @ court. She said "Well Dr. Bostrom wants to talk with you himself".. I thought great. Then she said he had surgery today and might try to call in between surgeries:groan:Please, I don't live in the medical world but I do live in the legal world...I knew it wasn't going to happen and as of now late in the evening no call. Ugh. I just don't know whether to keep after them or not. I think I will try tomorrow early in the am before I leave for work.

This is making me feel like he's putting me off because he has no solid answer "sorry MRI shows nothing, don't know what is causing pain and it is not my area of expertise" Well I will just end up having to be a pest.
Take care all!:sleep:
 
Nancy,
Keep calling, if he was putting you off he would have the nurse talk to you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hoping you get some answers.
 
Yes, Nancy,

As one who knows, keep calling! Don't give up on him! :)
 
Maybe he just got caught up in theatre, ......
 
Nancy, I agree with Pumpkin- I do not think he is brushing you off, but I do think you need to keep after him. I do think these docs are very busy doing surg., that is why it took me 3 months to get an appointment with my OS. Yet that is not an excuse for not following up- so do keep after him.
 
If you haven't heard back by now, a full week later, I suspect something is amiss. My guess is the doctor may have left for a few days of vacation (???) before the MRI analysis got back to his office. I would phone his office and find out what is going on. That's very unusual that no one has contacted you. July 4th is just one day - hardly a reason why a followup call should take this long, especially traveling the distance you did to see him. Someone must have dropped the ball at HSS or the report is buried on someone's desk.
 
Ring, ring, ring! Be a squeaky wheel and get oiled!
 
So very sorry to hear you are having trouble. Hang in there and thank goodness for your PT that kept encouraging you. Prayers for all the right answers swiftly and peace/comfort for you.
 
Hey everyone!
I finally heard from Dr. Bostrom....thank goodness my hubby was driving us to a late dinner when I saw the blocked call come up on my cell. My cell has never really never left my side this June 27th. We talked for about 10 minutes. My thoughts are a little scrambled right now..just like my notes I was trying to take down in the car. Here goes:
1. The hip xray he did as precautionary as he thought I was either throwing the hip to compenate for the knee OR the hip could be the culprit - answer - Hip is fine-its me walking different to compensate-not bad he says but enought he wanted to just rule out hip. That is good!
2. The MRI was the ticket to the answers about my knee. :tada: I know somewhere in the beginning of my posting history someone mentioned this but here it is. He stated that this was kind of a "dilemna"-his words. Whether my body would not adjust to the TKR surgery or something "outside" the world of surgery. my tissues around the surgical scar have built up quite a bit of surgery underneath and it is inflammed. I put my "money" on the following (and my hubby who was there everyday) the PT who was just beyond aggressive with me when I tried to stay at a pt rehab place was so horrific that when the Dr. came in to check me he was very assertive about a doppler done like NOW, because of ? of DVT. I checked out after the 4th day..I was to stay 2 weeks. UGH.
Anyway...he said 3 options.
a. try low impact exercise for about 2-3 months Pilates type thing and take aleve/ whatever agrees with my system for inflammation.
b. after 2-3 months see him again for recheck and set up surgery for "debridement" sp? sorry, he said he can clean it up and there is a very slight possiblility that a fleck of bone matter could be there and that's why the scarring underneath-my body's way of trying to take care of the foreign body. Debride, then I would be sore and recovery would take a month or so. Also wanted me to know that sometimes scarring can come back again.
c. He goes in for debridement if he see something he does not like, and is hindering my tkr, full and new total TKR and back to square one.
Now I have to figure out what to do next. I as usual thought of other ?'s after we hung up - but will fax his PA after I get a plan together. Thing is ultimately what I would like done is the debridement for the right knee but my left knee which has been neglected for a very long time needs scoped- wonderingif Dr. and my insurance if it would be possible for 1 stay to do it all. It takes 2 months to get in to see him, and he said he is 6-8 weeks out in scheduling surgeries.

I will try pilates, he said no to PT. Also no infection which we knew, and he said tkr is very much in place-no loosening.
Ok so what do you think- all option advise and ?'s appreciated.
And I know how many of you feel- NOW I KNOW what it is...and it's real and when other's look at my knee and say it looks fine - I can now tell them exactly why it isn't fine! Now if I just had a snappy comeback on "Why would you go to New York when we have just as bright and capable doctors in Pittsburgh"? It's a 7 hour drive from where we live and yes Pittsburgh would be more convenient...I just wanted the very best Dr. I could get to, but it's not the right answer to snap the door shut on that kind of conversation. Well...I told you my thoughts are scattered!:shrug: What more can I say - except thanks Bone Smarties for listening.:thankyou: Gotta go think about all of this.
 
Nancy,
Glad you finally have some answers, and possible ways to resolve your knee pain. Hope the anti inflammatories take care of your scar tissue and inflammation. skigirl; had scar tissue removed recently and has a lot of information on her thread about scar tissue.
All the best,
 
Nancy, I am so glad you finally have an answer!
If it was me- I would go for the debridement and see if he can scope your other knee too while you are under. One anesthesia, 2 answers.
I would definitely have the surgery done at HSS as it is an EXCELLENT hospital for joint surgeries- hands down.
Hubby can stay across the street in the housing HSS has for out of state and out of country patients' families, or obviously there are loads of hotels in NYC, or he can stay in NJ and take the train in (I would be glad to help with this; I thought a lot about it since you planned your trip to NYC).
I would think that a debridement stay would not be longer than one night, possibly two, and if you had the surg. on a Thurs. or Fri. the trip home is not as bad. We took the train in the day of my surg. and I was discharged on a Sunday so the traffic would be easier on the weekend.
Certainly you have a lot to think about! Good luck and keep us posted!
 
Nancy, I'm so glad you're beginning to get some answers. And you have a plan for action....GREAT!

As for the snappy comeback when people want to know why you went to New York for a doctor, tell them that's the only way you could get a nice vacation (and smile). I think your choice to go to HSS was a very good one and it will probably save you a lot of headaches on the way to getting this resolved. After all, just because you went there doesn't mean there aren't good doctors in Pittsburg.....it just means you went to the place where doctors work with a lot of problem cases which increased your chances of finding someone who had dealt with a problem like yours before.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom