Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I come from a family that has a history of muscle cramps, mainly due to tough working conditions.

The family remedy was always to drink Tonic Water whenever the cramps hit and it always worked.

When my brother retired he complained to his doctor about muscle cramps and he was prescribed Quinine Sulphate tablets for the condition; and guess what is in Tonic Water!! Yep!! Quinine!

I can recommend it as a remedy for muscle cramps and nowadays I keep a bottle of Tonic Water in the fridge and use it to wash down the quinine tablets. (It also tastes pretty good with gin as well.):egypdance::egypdance:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian

PS

Love the saying "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." Brilliant.:egypdance::egypdance:
 
I did sleep some. My knees are not sore today but my hamstrings and hip abductor/adductor muscles are. Hubby finished the wire tying this morning. Yeah!!!! Ready for someone else to work. Ha!!!
 
@msmechanic58 No, just vitamin E oil. Saw this on a different site, thought you might be interested: Sorry the red color didn't show up.

Let's take a look at Bio-Oil and break down what is in it. The ingredients in red are cause for concern:
Paraffinum Liquidum--This is a crude oil, liquid paraffin. When you use it, you're basically applying liquid fuel to the skin. It may feel good on the skin as these products often do because they are an occlusive and provide that barrier. This really, though, serves no benefit to the skin and there are many better natural oils on the market.
Triisononanoin--a skin condition that helps other ingredients absorb more thoroughly into the skin

Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate--a benign skin and hair conditioning agent

Isopropyl Myristate--this is a binding agent that is safe, but is often derived from animals.

Retinyl Palmitate--Vitamin A

Tocopheryl Acetate--Vitamin E

Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil--Oil from the chamomile flower. While it is great on sensitive skin in general, many find the scent causes sneezing and hay fever like symptoms.

Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil--soothing oil

Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil--a great antiseptic and antibacterial oil

Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract--calms and clarifies

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil--a great multipurpose oil for the skin

Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil--a great multipurpose oil for the skin
BHT--Chances are you have heard of a toxic chemical being removed from many nail polishes on the market called toluene. BHT is essentially substituted toluene. It is harmful. According to the National Library of Medicine HazMap, BHT is considered to me a "known immune system toxicant." Animal studies have also shown that in low doses, that BHT causes negative effects to the brain and nervous system. This study was published by the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry in 1980 and has yet to be refuted. There are a host of bans and restrictions on BHT across the globe, yet it is still used here.
What troubles me most is that Bio-Oil is used by many pregnant women on stretch marks and one has to wonder about the effect it may have on unborn children.
Bisabolol--Skin conditioning; a terpene (hydrocarbon); can be anti-irritating. Not great, but not a horrible ingredient either.
Parfum--artificial fragrances like this are the leading cause of skin reactions
Amyl Cinnamal--highly allergenic fragrance ingredient is an alcohol, even though the label doesn't say "amyl cinnamal alcohol" as it should. Also a known toxicant to the immune system in humans.
Benzyl Salicylate--UV absorber. Does have salicylic acid as a component, which is not to be used by pregnant women.
Citronellol--masking agent
Coumarin--You may not be familiar with the name Coumarin, but are probably familiar with its relatives, Coumadin or Warfarin, blood thinning medication and Tonka Bean, a fragrance ingredients. In high doses, all can be lethal. Coumarin is found in the seeds of the Tonka Bean. Coumarin is on the EU's list of banned and/or restricted ingredients and several studies have shown there to be many systemic effects in low doses. To think that this is in here and may very well be absorbed into the bloodstream is very alarming, especially since there are links to cancer.
This is found in this product as a fragrance ingredient.
Eugenol--a denaturant and fragrance component. Highly toxic. On the EU's banned/restricted list. The National Library of Medicine HazMap calls this a "known human immune system toxicant."
Geraniol--Masking fragrance, toning agent. Known to be a strong toxin; banned or restricted in other countries; a known environmental toxin
Hydroxycitronellal--Yet another masking fragrance! A known immune system toxicant; also banned or restricted in the EU and other areas
Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde--fragrance component
Limonene--skin sensitizer; for perfume. Restricted/banned in other countries
Linalool--Masking fragrance; shown to be hazardous, banned/restricted for use in other countries
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone--although it is banned and/or restricted in the EU, there is very little research on this and is considered relatively safe.
CI 26100--This is officially classified by the FDA as a red colorant (Red 225) and data has shown this to have bioaccumulative effects and would not be considered eco-friendly by any stretch.
The C & G bottom line? This is a major waste of money. I know it's $12 and not $70 like some other bottle of so-called revolutionary products. The truth, though, is that this is chock full of toxins. Pregnant and nursing women should definitely avoid this product. I would not use it, nor would I recommend you use it either.
Did anyone else notice that Bio-Oil's miracle ingredient, PurCellin, isn't listed on the ingredients disclosure? Legally, all ingredients must be disclosed on the product label or packaging. PurCellin is, according to Bio-Oil, a lab created ingredient that's supposed to replicate the preen oil gland of a duck. In other words, this "breakthrough" is simply a portion of the ingredients above combined into something called "PurCellin."
If your skin is dehydrated or aging or in need of TLC, may I suggest you try broken link removed: https://www.chicandgreendaily.com/2009/10/dry-skin-blues.html? Or else, pure shea butter will work just as well. Any natural oils and butters will soothe your skin--macadamia nut oil, marula oil, coconut oil, hemp seed, sunflower, etc.
 
Ingredients in red are cause for concern:
Paraffinum Liquidum--This is a crude oil, liquid paraffin. .........

Er.... it isn't! The name predates "crude oil" by about a hundred years! In my youth it was used as a laxative so rubbing it on your skin shouldn't do much harm!


BHT--Chances are you have heard of a toxic chemical being removed from many nail polishes on the market called toluene. BHT is essentially substituted toluene. ......

Er .... it isn't. BHT (Butylated hydroxytoluene) is a derivative of phenol and it is used as an anti-oxidant.

Coumarin--You may not be familiar with the name Coumarin, but are probably familiar with its relatives, Coumadin or Warfarin, blood thinning medication and Tonka Bean, a fragrance ingredients.

Er .... I am familiar with the name. Coumarin is a natural substance found in many plants.

Eugenol--a denaturant and fragrance component. Highly toxic.

Er .... Eugenol is a liquid extracted from various plants. It is present in concentrations of 80–90% in clove bud oil and at 82–88% in clove leaf oil.

Geraniol--Masking fragrance, toning agent. Known to be a strong toxin; banned or restricted in other countries; a known environmental toxin.

Er .... It is the primary part of citronella oil which has been used for many generations to fight off midges, mosquitoes and other biting and stinging insects.

Hi there,

Please check out all of the above information on Wikipedia if you don't believe me.

It is basically a "scare story" generated by someone with an axe to grind.

I agree with the "waste of money" aspect though. I have always liked the smell of olive oil and use it as a rubbing oil if I need one.

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian

PS

As a kid my Mum used olive oil as a sunscreen!! As far as I can make out, I was sent out to fry gently in the sun!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dutto I checked Wikipedia and found that BHT is under research with a debate linking BHT to cancer risk, asthma and behavioral issues in children (I think these are if taken internally). Amyl Cinnamal (alpha amyl cinnamic aldehyde) is a well known irritant. Coumarin is warfarin an anticoagulant. Eugenol can cause allergic reaction and if ingested liver damage. Geraniol can draw honey bees, and should be avoided if you have perfume allergies, and is considered a sever eye and moderate skin irritant. Limonene is a based solvent in cleaning products and is a skin and respiratory irritant. Linalool breaks down when exposed to oxygen to form a product that can cause and allergic reaction similar to eczema in susceptible individuals. On a different site (because it wasn't on Wikipedia CI 26100, (Sudan III), is a dye and hydroxycitronellal is only safe if less than 1% The above article I copy and pasted from was not someone "with an axe to grind" - the person has a site that people ask her what is in certain things and she looks it up for them!
 
Hi there,

EVERYTHING is toxic and life threatening if you take too much of it or if you ingest it instead of rubbing it on to your skin. e.g. The best example I can think of is that a man died in last years London Marathon because he drank too much water!

Take a good look at Eugenol which is found in Oil of Cloves. It is toxic if ingested but dozens of generations of people have used Oil of Cloves for toothache! They rubbed it on their gums, dabbed it on their teeth and it did the job. No-one died as a result.

Compare that simple fact to the spin put on Eugenol in the article above and the information given in Wikipedia which explains: "Eugenol is used ..... in medicine as a local antiseptic and anaesthetic."

I presume that Bio-Oil has passed all the relevant product tests required by the laws of the USA and any other country where it is sold.

I won't comment on this matter again because I don't wish this Thread to be hijacked by us arguing; so we must agree to differ.:flwrysmile:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
I heard pickles (or pickle juice) is good for muscle cramps! I will have to get some tonic water for hubby and see if it works.
The NFL and some major college football teams keep pickle juice on the sideline benches to help prevent and to alleviate cramping!
 
@msmechanic58 Sorry your thread turned into a debate, if I wasn't so tired it would have never happened and it won't happen again!
@referee54 Good to know, I believe it was some news show I saw it on.
 
@referee54 I don't know how true it is but, while waiting for my hubby having his 2nd surgery, an older man and his wife were sitting there and we got talking about allergies and he said he use to have severe allergy problems but then he started eating 3 pickles a day and this year has had no problems. This has been a very bad year for allergies here because of all the rain. My asthma even flared after about 15 years! I might have to start eating pickles every day.
 
@tiredwife ---the charity bicycle ride that I went on a few weeks ago---150 miles in two days---include pickles at about every rest stop and at the lunch, too

I'd prefer a charity ride where they had a G&T at every rest stop though!! :happydance:

:cheers:
 
Actually, one of the main menu items are these little "pasties", I guess you call them that---called "Ho-Ho's." They are chocolate cakes with a filling of a sweet creamy something or other---and a the cyclists' favorite during this ride.

They were available at the lunch stop as well as at many of the rest stops!
 
@msmechanic58 Sorry your thread turned into a debate, if I wasn't so tired it would have never happened and it won't happen again!
@referee54 Good to know, I believe it was some news show I saw it on.

Just sorry that you are so tired and I presume that it is mainly due to lack of sleep.

The fact that I can't sleep for very long is the main reason that I am getting my knees done!

Four hours of solid sleep and I wake up in agony with my knee joints seized solid and hurting! It then takes about five minutes to just turn over in bed to find a different position.

As a result, I tend to sleep in snatches with at least one siesta during the day and then two x two-hour periods at night.

My good lady is exactly the opposite and needs at least eight uninterrupted hours of sleep every night so I have this funny feeling that, after my TKR, I may be spending a lot of time on the futon in the lounge!!

Helen managed a Care Home for nearly twenty years before we retired so after my TKR I expect that "help" will be there in abundance but "sympathy and understanding" will be in very short supply!:whistle::whistle:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
I presume that Bio-Oil has passed all the relevant product tests required by the laws of the USA and any other country where it is sold.
Ian[/SIZE]

This is another debatable matter and their "laws" and requirements are not as safe as they would like us to believe.

The warfarin based additive may be what is making the difference. I also have been bleeding more with taking Aleve more often. Not sure what to do.

As far as dry skin, I prefer aquaphor and neutrogena. :)
 
@msmechanic58 Is it your incision bleeding? shouldn't be! Or is it just bleeding in general? Blood thinners will do that, might be something to talk to your doctor about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom