Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry your sore @msmechanic58. I'm sure it must be part of this stage of recovery, feeling ok .... doing too much ..... realising your not THAT ok. :) I've been in the same cycle. At least this means that both of our recoveries are going really well, we're only 9 weeks out! I had a day of rest today, because I did a full day of housework/shopping stuff on Wed, went to the office for the day Thursday and I have a big day tomorrow, and a function tomorrow night. Sunday I'll be back to icing and elevating and saying "oops that was too much" !!!
 
Hi there,

I've read this Thread with keen interest as I am still at the "it will happen soon" stage of TKR (or possibly BTKR).

My Mum used to say "Pain is only temporary. It will go away eventually." so I know you ladies are tough but the only reason I am even considering a TKR is that I already have considerable pain in my knees.

I appreciate that no lady can remember pain (otherwise there would only be one baby per family) but surely after seven weeks or more your knees are less painful than they were before you had the operation; aren't they?? :what:

Please say "Yes!" :beg::beg:

Best regards,
:cheers:
 
@Dutto Welcome to the forum. My husband was 8 weeks wednesday. He is in considerable less pain than before surgery! His old knee hurts him more than the new knee. He still swells if it is down for too long, and it is stiff in the mornings and if he sits too long, but he is more than pleased with it already. At his last check up he told the doctor if it didn't get any better than it was at that moment he would still be glad he had that done.
 
Many thanks for the reassurances; and the "Welcome".

It's good to know that your hubbies "good knee" is now the one with the TKR!:egypdance::egypdance:

With regard to the "Welcome" I must take cowardice to a new level as I joined the Forum back in 2008!

At that time I wanted to find out how people decided to have "elective" surgery (up to now my experience of surgery has been as a result of accidents) but after prevaricating for nearly six years I am now at the stage where it is more "essential" than "elective"! :whistle::whistle:

Thanks again!
:cheers:
Dutto
 
@Dutto Just noticed your member since date, didn't notice it before. Sneaky thing you! Bet there are a lot of new faces on here since then. Are you going to start your own thread?
Husband isn't retired yet, and both knees were going out on him all the time. He even got stuck on a ladder once for awhile because of them. It was painful to watch him walk. If asked now he would say the worst thing about the surgery is the lack of sleep (a very common problem).
 
My walking has been reduced to about 20 yards without significant pain and 200 yards if I just grin and bear it; but I can cycle 50 miles with only a modicum of discomfort!!

This is the Number One reason why I have delayed the operation but the cycling section of this Forum has reassured me that cycling is possible and enjoyable after TKR!

With regard to sleep, if I manage as much as three hours straight I pay for it by being unable to move my knees without considerable pain. The "good news" is that I only slept four or five hours a night before I had these problems anyway!

On the plus side, the delay had given me plenty of time to work out what I will need and in preparation I have even treated myself to a fully automatic road-legal quad-bike with hand operated accelerator and brakes!! The theory is that if I can't cycle and I can't walk then at least I can get out and about on the quad!

Best regards,
:cheers:
 
Bless you @Dutto! Sounds like it is time to reclaim your life. I am in FAR LESS PAIN at 9 weeks than I was even at 6 weeks the pain changes. Right now the only time it is severe is when I practice standing without pushing myself up. I have a lot offscreen aches from using muscles that have been injured. I walked a mile today after 2.5 hours of pt. I am feeling much more normal. I still have lots of swelling and muscle soreness. When I was where you are now, I couldn't wait for surgery.
 
Hi @msmechanic58 - I am in awe of you. I hope I feel as good as you do after 9 weeks! It sounds like your students' nap time will be a good time for you to ice and elevate! That is good news.

How are your puppies doing??
 
Music to my ears @msmechanic58 as I celebrate my 6 weeks and the school year approaches! You walked a mile after PT!?! I bow before your greatness! Does this mean that I'll actually get to go grocery shopping soon and control the food that comes into my house?
 
The puppies are fitting in very well already and are my guardians. :) they are why I walked the mile. Lol. I did a patrol lap with them. :)
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me


They wore themselves out today. :) my poor fern is now a dog bed. Lol
 
I just rubbed biofreeze from mid thigh to my ankles. Ugh. Unlock muscles! Please! I want to sleep. :)

Hi there,

Well done, it sounds as if you are following the advice that my Mum advocated when discussing pain. i.e.:

"Never take pain-killers before you do something that you expect to be painful. Pain is useful because it is your body telling you that you are doing damage to yourself and asking you to stop."

Mum lived until she was 98 years old and suffered from osteoarthritis for nearly 35 of those years, so she knew something about pain!

Hope you are just waking up by the time you read this!!:egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
 
@Dutto - your question is hard to answer because I think the pain levels prior to surgery are different for all of us. I am more 'disabled' now still at 9 weeks than I was prior - mainly because I have to walk so much slower, I'm not good on uneven ground, and stairs are still horrible. HOWEVER, the pain is obvious surgery pain, and I am the same as @msmechanic58 the difference in 9 weeks out compared to 7 is dramatic! I am cutting down my pain relief quickly now - mainly by forgetting to take them and realising it was because I didn't have any real pain!
I've been food shopping twice now :). YAY for looking in the fridge and pantry to find the things that I'm used to being there!!
 
"Never take pain-killers before you do something that you expect to be painful. Pain is useful because it is your body telling you that you are doing damage to yourself and asking you to stop."

Sorry, @Dutto - I'd have to disagree on that. Sometimes you KNOW it's going to cause pain and you need to get ahead of that by taking your pain meds before the activity. If you wait until you're feeling the pain, it may take extra meds to get the pain under control. I always take a hydrocodone before I go to PT and before I go to water aerobics since I know those activities will cause pain.

By the way, I am just over 8 weeks post-op (BTKR) and currently at 128 flexion on the left and 124 on the right. My pain level is MUCH better than pre-op. I can walk short distances without my cane but I haven't really tested myself on long distances. I haven't tried stairs yet, but I do practice on a step at PT 3 times a week. I still ice and elevate after PT but generally don't need to at other times. All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom