Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife I fell asleep about 3. Slept good then. Woke up at 7 when hubby came home from work. Quads were screaming again but was able to stretch them some again. I think I'm going to lower the leg press weight at pt and see if that changes anything. I am pretty sure I'm overworking them. I go back to work after this week. So worried!!! How is the hubby?

@Dutto - the photo bucket one came through. Did you have one knee done or two?
 
@msmechanic58 - I do hope you get the quad pain sorted out. I imagine with the little ones you will be doing squatting or sitting to get down to their level and that will be killer on the quads. You really need to rest your body before you go back to work. Take it easy and "enjoy" your last week of being "off work". :flwrysmile:
 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???? I swore I would rest today. Even slept through time to leave for church. I have my fitbit goal at 1500 steps to keep me mellow. I am 2500 steps over and $260 lighter from a trip to walmart to get school clothes for don. My husband even said your knees are bumpy and swollen tonight. Why can't I take care of me???


I just want to be normal again!!! :(
 
be careful! The slow way is the quick way (says she who is suffering the same up/downs as you :) ) It is really tricky thing to balance isn't it. I SOOO want normal, but life just isn't yet, I'm starting to accept that more now. Think of some of the issues of overdoing to motivate you to slow.
 
@msmechanic58, you are a wife, a mom AND a teacher. All 3 of these work against you when it comes to taking care of yourself since your life focuses on taking care of others (one way or another)! Every day, we are all one step closer to being better than normal again. Unfortunately, it really is one step per day quite literally! You can do this, and tomorrow is another opportunity for you to take care of you!
 
I teach Prekindergarten so they have 1.5 hour nap time that I can elevate and ice. May have to take my kneehab tens pads as well. I can leave at half days if needed but these little guys need to have some stability from the beginning. Besides, I can't stand not having control. Lol

PT today and went past 120 on both knees. :) it's getting easier every time.
I always knew that naptime was more for the teachers than the kids! :)
 
@tiredwife ………….. I am pretty sure I'm overworking them. I go back to work after this week. So worried!!! How is the hubby?

@Dutto - the photo bucket one came through. Did you have one knee done or two?

WOW! I didn't realise just how bad my knees were; because I have had NEITHER of them done yet!!

What you see there is 71 years of active stupidity that manifested itself in multiple falls out of trees, off cycles then motorbikes , encounters with barbed wire fences, arthritis, a major road accident and general wear and tear.

I have to say that I have enjoyed life but I have also seen the inside of a few A&E Units in my time!:egypdance::egypdance:

In view of the above I know just how hard it is to try and slow down if you are an active person, and even more so if you think that people are depending on you.

However, always remember tale about the prima donna at work who worked like mad for the company that employed her; but kept threatening to resign to keep her boss on his toes. In the end her boss lost patience and asked her to go and get a bucket of water.

When she returned the boss asked her to stir the water in the bucket as hard as she could and then remove her hand. She did as requested and the two of then stood and watched the water in the bucket as it calmed down and stopped moving.

The boss nodded towards the bucket and said "See that? The company is the bucket of water and you are yourself. If you leave the company it will have the same effect as when you removed your hand. There will be quite a commotion for a while but then everything will calm down; just like the water in the bucket." The lady never threatened to resign again.

I use the tale to remind myself that despite my inflated ego I am not indispensable anywhere or to anyone so I can take time off and I can let other people do some of the work when I am not feeling too good!

My advice for what it is worth is to take it easy and take more days off if you need them.

You know it makes sense! :egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Point taken @Dutto! Just finished pt, stopped to get meds, took a shower, and am in bed elevating with ice. Tired!

I thought one of your knees had a scar down it. That's why I asked.
 
Point taken @Dutto! Just finished pt, stopped to get meds, took a shower, and am in bed elevating with ice. Tired!

I thought one of your knees had a scar down it. That's why I asked.

:egypdance::egypdance:

It does, that's where they removed the knee-cap.

The other knee has a barbed wire scar and a couple of lumps missing from falling off push-bikes when I was young and stupid. (As opposed to being old and stupid like now!)

Take it easy and stay relaxed. It must be hot at this time of the year in the "Deep South" because it's pretty warm even here on the east coast of England!!

I think I will try to schedule my operation during some damp, cold and foggy weather where I wouldn't want to go outside anyway! :whistle:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
@Dutto, it sounds like you've got some good stories to share! I'm particularly curious about the barbed wire incident.

There are pros and cons to recovering during any season. My knee has been particularly sensitive to the touch, so I am very grateful that it's warm enough to wear shorts, and when I do venture outside, I don't have to worry about ice and snow, and the sun on my face is very therapeutic. Of course, it also depends on what you kneed (pun intended).
 
Only 110 yesterday. Lol the humidity is what gets me here. It's like standing inside a dryer full of wet clothes.
 
We haven't hit 90 yet this year and we usually do. 110? With humidity- ugh!
 
I have a mate who spends his summers in Michigan and his winters in Houston! He and his family also hate the cold.

The barbed wire scar?

I looked down through the foliage expecting to see the hopeful face of a mate of mine waiting to catch the apples that we were stealing from the vicarage orchard; and all I could see was a huge pair of polished boots!

Bobby Oliver our local policeman (or "Bobby") was noted for his summary justice so without even thinking I jumped out of the far side of the tree and legged it to the cry of "Stop there!! I know who you are!" He didn't of course because there were dozens of kids in the village so I just kept running right up to the barbed wire fence at the end of the orchard.

My first attempt to clear the fence resulted in the scar you see on the photograph as I bounced back and left a fair bit of me on the fence.

I very nearly made it on the second attempt but in the end finished up suspended on the barbed wire by my trousers and buttocks with my toes just touching the ground on the far side of the fence. Struggling was painful and useless so I just hung there as the heavy breathing approached from behind me.

"So you didn't stop then!" was more a statement than a question. "What's your name." I remember thinking "I knew it!" but answered any way.

"Well what are we going to do with you?" he mused "Do you want a summons?" A summons to the local magistrates court was the very last thing an eleven years old child needed so "No sir."

"Maybe I should tell your Mam?" he asked "Nooooo! Please no. Don't tell me Mam." The consequences of having a policeman take me home and tell my Mum that I had been stealing apples and had then run away from the law when caught was much worse than anything else he could come up with.

"There's only one thing left then." he said. I nodded with some resignation.

So, hanging on a barbed-wire fence, bleeding from a rip on my right knee and from two tears in my backside I hung there whilst he slapped me across the side of the head with such enthusiasm that I thought my head might fall off.

Bobby Oliver then lifted me off the fence, said "You'd better be off home now." and strolled away to catch other deserving children misbehaving!

Me? I walked home where I got a huge row and was sent to bed with no supper for the two rips in the back of my trousers.

This was after Mum had stuck a couple of plasters over the rip in my knee and poured copious amounts of iodine on to my wounds with the comment "This will sting a bit."

I have to admit, my Mum never lied to me, it definitely stung a bit!!:egypdance::egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,

:cheers:
Ian
 
I was feeling good and taking it easy until the neighbor showed up needing hubby to help. Then I got the privilege of driving my son to his disaster preparedness class. I worked in my classroom for about an hour putting books and supplies away. Hurting again now but not as much. Decided to try naproxen instead of Tylenol and it seems to be helping with swelling.

And hubby decided this was a good day to put the wall covering into the laundry room. My house is a shambles!!! Ugh. In the bed with the door shut to pretend it's not there.
 
I was feeling good and taking it easy until the neighbor showed up needing hubby to help. Then I got the privilege of driving my son to his disaster preparedness class. I worked in my classroom for about an hour putting books and supplies away. Hurting again now but not as much. Decided to try naproxen instead of Tylenol and it seems to be helping with swelling.

And hubby decided this was a good day to put the wall covering into the laundry room. My house is a shambles!!! Ugh. In the bed with the door shut to pretend it's not there.

What a shame!!

It sounds as if you are putting on a brave face and also overdoing it.

I've read all the advice in this section and two things stick in my mind:

1. The knee is in charge of the recovery not the owner of the knee; and definitely not the owner's family!!

2. Six weeks is only the end of the beginning; and only then if you are lucky.

My advice (which is free and can be ignored) is to stop being so brave, stop overdoing it and have a quiet word with those around you about what you are feeling and what your knees need.

I would say "Put your foot down!" but that would probably be painful.

Best regards,

Ian

PS for Admin.

Like the new Format but what happened to the Smilies?
 
@Dutto, the smiles are still here---right there with all the other stuff on the edit bar above the dialogue box.
 
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

I am shut in the bedroom again! The laundry room is over owing into my living room still but it will be good to have it finished after 4 years of osb. :)
 
Whenever I look at mine or other people's successful efforts with DIY I always think of Ozymandias by Shelley which contains the line "Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

And the other side of the coin was a mate of mine who had been to look at a hutch for his ferrets. "I wish you could have seen it." he said "The man had bought twenty pounds worth of materials and turned them into a five pound hutch!"

The Ozymandias Sonnet in full is as follows. Enjoy!

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”​

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom