Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there Laura,

Well done! Sounds as if you are progressing nicely; especially with the ice! :ice::ice:

At the moment, for me the pain of TKR surgery is similar to childbirth and sea-sickness. i.e. I have no personal experience of either subject but I can well understand that it may be uncomfortable! :egypdance::egypdance:

However, I do have experience of other types of pain and although I try to avoid it like the plague I am not much of a fan of pain-killers.

When I smashed my knee and thigh up in the original accident I had one shot of morphine when I arrived at A&E, anaesthetic for the operation, one shot of pethidine to sleep the following night and then went on to eight paracetamol per day for three days; after which the Ward Sister said I was getting addicted! (I could happily have killed her had she come near my bed!!)

It was tough, but in the end I suppose it was for the better because (as pointed out by the Ward Sister) the pain-killers could have been subduing something more serious such as internal bleeding or an infection.

Anyway, after my TKR, when I am sobbing into my pillow and chewing the duvet to pieces, I will remember this Thread and make sure that my good lady has a plentiful supply of analgesics handy, just in case!!!:egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian

PS I am assured that a 100% cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a very large tree! It works every time! :whistle::whistle:
 
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

This is what I am trying to do today. :)
 
@Dutto I don't have personal experience with this, just what I have seen my husband go through, and what he tells me. I check with him before I post anything that involves things from his point of view. He lurks on here all the time. One thing that is very apparent is how the recovery varies from person to person. My husband is one of the very lucky ones who is healing fast. He has been off the narcotics for about 3 weeks now (I would have to check my thread to make sure) He takes tylenol sometimes, but not everyday. He is back on his diclofenac for all his other joints.
 
Hi there,

I am definitely not brave so not using analgesics is more based on fear of addiction than anything else!

I do use one 400mg Ibuprofen (an NSAID) at night to get a decent nights sleep though. (i.e. about 3-4 hours)

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Oh, by the way, this is what my knees look like BEFORE the operation!

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

The left one is the one minus the knee-cap and first to receive a TKR.

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
@Dutto your photo didn't show

@msmechanic58 Your scar looks a lot like my hubby's almost faded at the bottom, wider at the top. Well your legs are upside down, so uh.........reverse that! Hope you have a great evening!
 
@Dutto your photo didn't show

@msmechanic58 Your scar looks a lot like my hubby's almost faded at the bottom, wider at the top. Well your legs are upside down, so uh.........reverse that! Hope you have a great evening!

Sorry if the photo is upside down for you but it is okay on mine. (The stripes are the carpet.)

Also, when I say "the left one" I mean my own left leg, not the one on the left in the photograph.

Incidentally, the two "dimples" on my left leg are the holes where the OS hammered a Steinmann pin through my tibia in order to hang the traction weights that kept my bones in place and thigh muscles in extension.

One of my favourite memories of my time in hospital was when my then ten-month old daughter showed me how she could walk by staggering up the ward towards my bed.

My smile of pleasure must have changed to a look of worry and finally to one of acute distress as she tottered to the end of the bed and then steadied herself by hanging on to the weights that were holding the broken bones of my thigh in place!

Oh how we all laughed! :elevate:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Pups and I only walked the too half of the trail. Trying to practice proper gait and stretch the quads. I think I will try a lying quad stretch as soon as I get my laundry folded and on hangers. :)

I have been on a heating pad since dark and transferring it from quads to calves to hip to shoulder. :)
 
Yikes. My dad bought my mom a new heating pad - it is a lot larger than the regular ones. It covers her entire back. Now she is short but still, it is definitely larger than the average one.

Hope you get some pain relief!
 
I had to get a new one as the 20 year old one I had decided it was done heating. This one is very large and flexible. I like it. It covers my quad and knees on both legs. I'm vertically challenged too. ;)
 
Hi there,

Bonesmart seems to freeze whenever I try and upload a photograph direct from the computer so here's the same photograph via my Photobucket account.

Enjoy - if it arrives!

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
PS

As you will all be in bed over in the USA right now I sincerely hope you all have a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed and in a loving mood to your nearest and dearest. :egypdance::egypdance:

We are off out on the bikes 'cos it's not raining here today!!:loveshwr:

:cheers:
Ian
 
Trying another system.

Be patient with me either we will have enough knees to start a forest or it will be yet another failure!

file://localhost/Users/idhd60/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2013/07/23/20130723-112145/T1D4tV76TJ6BYGLCVSOssA/IMG_0966.jpg

Either way, I will probably forget how I did it when I need to Post another photograph! :shrug:

:cheers:
Ian
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom