Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hopefaith - I'm allergic to anything codeine based so they chose Demerol. I was definitely feeling I needed it and am now glad to be off of it.

The spasms start when I lay down at night and begin to relax the muscles. Ice sometimes will trigger them but not often. It is usually in both legs at the same time.

I am doing stairs going up without holding on to anything now. I've had to do steps since the day I came home but only 5. Going down is still 2 feet per step unless I turn around and go down backwards.
 
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

My sweet angels. :(
 
I am very sad to hear you have lost your other dog, my condolences. Too much in one week for a person to handle.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Yesterday I tried to keep occupied. I reclaimed the kitchen after cooking for 60 on Thursday. Hubby did most of that work and left the mess for me. ;) went to supper and by the time I got home I was angry at the pain. Today I got up and got ice packs, laid with those on, got back up and took meds, put breakfast in the microwave, got dressed to church, ate breakfast, and came back to lay down. Capris are irritating the heck out of my scars. Is it ok to wear shorts to church??? I think I'll just go back to bed. Worn out!

I need I fold 5 loads of laundry and vacuum the floors. Grass needs cut and chickens need fed. *sigh* too tired to care!
 
I'm pretty sure that God would have no problems with you wearing shorts to church, but you could always hide them under a skirt if you have one if it makes you feel better.

Physical pain is so much easier to deal with than emotional pain, isn't it? Took me a long time to learn that lesson. Your sweet angels are beautiful and I agree with @referee54 , you will see them again!

Feed the chickens, leave the rest and treat yourself to something you haven't done for awhile. Keep it simple, make it family selfish or personal selfish. Get an ice cream cone, go fishing...
 
Hi @msmechanic58, checking in to see how you are doing.

Have you forgotten that you had BTKR less than 8 weeks ago?? You should not be doing that much work around the house if you are not up to it! Sit and fold the laundry - that is something that you can do while elevating and icing. But vacuuming, mowing the lawn and feeding the chickens can be done by the wonderful husband you are married to anrd the charming kids you gave life to! Sorry to be blunt but holy heck you are all in it together!

You are all also grieving the loss of your puppies which means you have to support each other even more. You deserve to take care of yourself. Your puppies are beautiful and I really feel your pain.

Thinking of you and I hope you get some relief soon.
 
We spent some time looking at rescue dogs. Found an adorable pup named Jerry that is Great Pyrenees and Dutch shepherd mix. Hubby found him. It got them talking about how they feel. :). Doing better but still waiting to hear those tags jingle every time I step out the door.

I didn't do all of those chores. Alex , 14yo, is the only child (and the only I gave birth too) at home. He mowed and helped move laundry and bring it to the bed. He also fed the chickens and collected eggs. It did get all of the dishes out of the dishwasher. Put them all in a big bowl and slid it around the counter to put them where they belonged. :) I've been taking it easy.
 
I love dogs, but I'm ignorant when it comes to breeds beyond the basics. Thank goodness for google! Jerry sounds like he's going to be a good sized dog when he grows up! My husband thinks that our dog was reincarnated in one of our new cats. He greets us at the door when we get home, drops his food on the floor before eating it, and a few other odd behaviors that Summer was guilty of.

My 13yo is actually earning an allowance with all the work she's been doing lately! I think it helped that I waited on her hand and foot while she recovered from getting her wisdom teeth removed (the Monday before my surgery).
 
We live on 15 acres out in the country surrounded by coyotes and hawks. We need big. :) Great Pyrenees are very gentle and good with farm animals. We might even be able to let the chickens free range again.
 
We put money in Alex's savings account when he helps. I need to move some more for him. He's worked hard this summer. :)
 
My brother and sister in law had chickens for years. They were usually loose during the day, but (believe it or not) they had issues with TURTLES attacking their chickens and dragging them into the woods. No more fresh eggs for us.
 
I just figured out I was using the wrong setting/program on the kneehab machine. I chose the lightest without reading the small print. It was for early post op and gentle stimulation. The next five were to increase rom, relieve muscle spasms, increase blood flow, retrain muscles, and reduces atrophy. The final 3 are for chronic pain and arthritis pain. The first 6 are pulse contractions and the last 3 are continuous stimulation. Maybe I WILL get more pain relief.
 
Let us know if the higher settings work better. My PT has talked about using a tens machine to wake up my quads a little faster.
 
It is good that your son has been so helpful. A nice idea to put money in his account as well. I am not giving the boys any money beyond their allowance that they have chores to do to earn. (Except my 19 year old - he does not get allowance. I am however "hiring" them for piecework that I would have done myself if not for being laid up.

My eldest gets his gas tank for his car filled every week because he does a lot of running around for me. I have also hired him to scrub the grout on our tiled floors. A thankless job that never gets done unless I do it (twice a year). We have a large house with ceramic tile on a big part of the main level. He has to have it done by the end of the week, a timeline we agreed on and then I will pay him.

My middle one will clean the outside windows which is usually a task I do in the Spring. Only the main level but there are a lot of windows. He has until the end of the week to finish it if he wants to get paid. (weather permitting)

My youngest is on weed duty and gets paid per garden and for the sidewalks and pool surrounding. Again, once the work is complete.

Nice to get another dog in the house especially if you have livestock. We live in a somewhat rural area as well. There have been a number of coyote sightings in our neighbourhood the past few weeks. We don't worry about it with our Golden Retriever around. My brother lives next door and they have a Daschund and a Llhapso Apso (not sure of the spelling) so they are worried. They are such yappy dogs that any coyote would likely be too annoyed to go around them. Our dog walks the other way when he sees them. They are cute but he has a low tolerance for yappy just like me :)

I am so happy that you have been able to adjust your TENS machine. I hope it brings you some relief.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those are some time consuming jobs you have them. I hope you are compensating well. :) Alex has to take care of the yard - weedeat and mow if his dad is working - in exchange for the privilege of having a cell phone. He has always worked to earn money. When he was 6 he wanted a game boy. He helped carry boxes from one storage building to another for 10 hours straight for his Mawmaw. He earned enough for most of it and we pitched in the rest. He already has a retirement account earning between 5-10% a year, and chooses to have his birthday money from Mawmaw put into savings because she gives him double that way. ;) he's a pretty money savvy kiddo! He even went to Dave Ramsey's financial peace university with us. I think might keep him. :)

I did email about the Great Pyrenees mixes. She was concerned about us not having a fenced yard. We live on 15 acres that adjoins about 400 acres that no one lives on. Surely we can train them to boundaries eventually. ;). She has to get a vet recommendation before she'll let us come see them. That makes me nervous since he just put my baby to sleep. It's almost worse than a job interview. Biting my nails here. :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom