TKR Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two

@jaschembra My cold has just about run it's course. I am glad yours never developed. 6 more days and we will both have new left knees. I don't know about you, but mine is getting worse every day, and it is starting to effect my RTKR leg. Or maybe I have just overdone it the last few days and that is taking a toll on my right leg. I am trying to not think of it as starting all over again, but instead as finishing what I have started, if that makes any sense. lol I don't look forward to going through it again, but I do look forward to getting it behind me so I can get on with life, hopefully with two pain free knees.
 
@Celle @Jamie could someone please change the title of my thread to "Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two" since I will be having my second TKR on Tuesday. Thank you so much!
 
I've changed your thread title, Martha.

Best wishes for Tuesday - and Happy New Year.
 
Today is the day! I have to report to the hospital at 8:30. I am not sure what time the surgery will start. I only slept a couple hours last night then I woke up hurting and couldn't go back to sleep. I started thinking about all the last minute things I had to do this morning and everything else in the world. So I spent some time reading BoneSmart and wishing I could have a cup of coffee, or two. Anyway all is well. I hope you all have a good day and I will see you on the other side.
 
@Ronsgirl I wished you luck on another thread but I'm going to wish you luck here on your own thread. Sending positive thoughts. Hope all goes well!!!
 
Praying for you, Martha! You are my hero! All our bonesmarties who do knees so soon are so brave! I'll be waiting to hear how things go.
 
I just wanted to check in to let you all know the surgery went fine. The first day and night were great. Then the nerve block wore off!! Not gradually like it is supposed to! It hit me like a ton of bricks. They finally got the pain under control by the time I left the hospital, but last night and this morning it has been pretty rough again. I had to go to the rehab facility again because there is not ways I could negotiate the stairs in my house. Hopefully I won't have to stay as long this time. I hope you are all doing well. I will check back soon and try to write more when I am feeling a bit better.
 
I hope your recovery goes well. I admire how brave you are to have the 2nd knee done just a few months after the first. I won't ever replace my right knee.
 
Good to hear from you. I hope you feel much better very soon.
 
I've been wondering how you are. Good to hear from you and that they did get the pain under control. My block wore off that way, all at once.
 
Good to hear you are on your way to healing of the 2nd knee. I too had to suffer that first night home (night #2 of TKR) and then went 2 days before my OS opened the flood gates to allow me more pain meds!!!
 
I hope you're doing OK in rehab, Martha.

Make sure that they keep your pain well controlled and insist on having your medications on time.
When it comes to activity, get them to focus on your activities of daily living (ADL) and don't try to get you to focus too much on exercises for ROM.
You should soon be able to negotiate those stairs.

Here is a refresher of the recovery reading list for you:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom