TKR Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two

Martha, I didn't want to buy new dress shoes, so I found a pair the pair that I wore the least was the most comfortable. So that's something you could do in the meanwhile, find a pair you haven't worn as much. i was thinking of the horrendous weather you're going to have when you're a few weeks out of the LTKR and may not want to fight the South Dakota ice and snow so soon after surgery. Will there be a good 10 inch base by then?
 
First, I am a little over 8 weeks and still have some bruising on my knee. I didn't think to ask the surgeon, but I am wondering how long it should take for it to go away.
That's a kind of question we tend to call "how long is a piece of string"! Have a look in here and see how bruises differer from person to person! Bruising after surgery
Also, I am having some pain in my lower back and hip when I am up and walking much at all. I am wondering if new shoes would help. Should I get new shoes now, or wait until after the other knee is done in January?
Certainly wait. No point in wasting money. In the meantime, you could always try shoe lifts temporarily.
My gait is good, but one leg is now straight and the other is not
That would certainly result in back pain. But it will settle when the other knee is done.
 
Thank you so much for your replies and advice ladies. As for the bruising, I guess I will just wait and see. It has diminished a lot, and I am wondering if it isn't partly the staining that you talked about, Celle. Part of it is almost a brown color. I am very fortunate that my bruising is not nearly as extensive as some. It was confined to just the knee area and not my whole leg. For that I am thankful!

I think I will just wait about the shoes as Josephine suggested and maybe get some new insoles, or as you suggested, Karri, I might go ahead and get them now so that I won't have to get out in the snow to get then later and just save them until after my second surgery. We will have a good bit of snow cover by then for sure. I think we got about 6 inches yesterday, but it will likely melt off this time. I did look at the boots that I wore yesterday, and they show very little wear on the soles and what little there is is pretty even. I will make do with them for now. I do have dress shoes that I think will be fine since I have several pairs and don't wear any of them on an every day basis like I do my boots and sneakers.

Thanks again, ladies. What would I do without you???
 
I have been reading everyone's posts and posting some when I think I have something to say that might be helpful, but I haven't posted on my thread in a while, so I thought I would update.

I am slowly making progress I think. My right TKR knee is getting better all the time. I can be up on it for quite a while without pain. i still have some some zingers and creepy crawly feelings in it and it does ache sometimes, especially with cold wet weather.The tendons and ligaments at the top of the knee are still very sore, and hurt when strained in any way, ie, getting up from a low chair,or leading with it up the stairs, but walking is not a problem at all now as far as my right knee is concerned. The problems I have with walking is with my back/hip, and left knee. I am hoping that will begin to get better in a month and a half or so when I get that knee replaced. I am still sleeping in the recliner in two to four hour increments, but am managing to get enough sleep. I do still get tired easier and my stamina is not up to par yet, but it is getting better. Most days I get by on Arthritis Strength Tylenol 2 or 3 times a day and a Tramadol once or sometimes twice at night. We recently went on a two hour road trip there two hours and back two hours and I did pretty well. My leg ached some, but not too bad on the trip and ached more than usual that night and the next day, but then it was rainy and cold, too. I still elevate quite a bit and ice mostly at night. I cooked a nice Thanksgiving dinner, not our typical meal, but Chicken and Dumplings, a sweet potato casserole, some veggies and a couple desserts. I just sat when I could and took rest breaks and did ok. I did quite a bit of the Christmas decorating without any trouble, something which I enjoy a lot. That about sums it up for now I guess. I am not there yet, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
 
That is a great report!!! You are getting there!!
I do still get tired easier and my stamina is not up to par yet, but it is getting better.
That stamina, for many of us, is one of the very last aspects to return. I can completely understand how you feel.

That about sums it up for now I guess. I am not there yet, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
You are doing fine!! This TKR recovery does take longer than we are prepared for, but you have a great attitude and are indeed moving forward!! Soon you will be out of the tunnel! You won't be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel---you will be in the light---all totally recovered!
 
Good to read your update. Your recovery sounds similar to mine. I'm a week behind you as my TKR was 9/27. I recently started getting zingers/stinging in my knee and chalk that up to nerves waking up? Tendons and ligaments on top of knee also sore when stretched. The tight band feeling is still there but changing (loosening up?). Are you still doing any exercises? I have stopped PT for the last two weeks due to possible tendinitis in my TKR ankle. Probably from overdoing in PT :(
Hang in there. Hope you continue to improve prior to your January surgery.
 
Getting up out of low chairs bothered me for quite a while. Unfortunately, I have a lot of low chairs!
 
Ruth @birdinger about the only exercise my knee has been getting is walking and going up and down the stairs a few times a day with a few stretches thrown in now and then. I want to start going to the gym again so I can use the NuStep and the upper body machines, but life seems to keep interfering. We have two teenage grandchildren who live with us and life can get pretty hectic especially this time of year. I hope your ankle improves very soon. Just take it slow and easy and let it heal.
 
  • Yesterday on my 12 week anniversary of my RTKR I received a call from my surgeon's office telling me he would be out of town the week of my upcoming LTKR. To make a long story short, my surgery date has been moved up from January 17th to January 3rd. So it looks like I will be getting a new left knee a couple weeks sooner than I thought. It is a good thing because my left knee is getting worse all the time, and I think my right knee is strong enough now. I can go up the stairs foot over foot now and pretty much have to lead going down with my left as it hurts too much otherwise. The tendons at the top of my right knee are still really sore and it hurts when I get up from a low chair, but not as much as before. I am also able to sleep on my side/stomach and sleep all night in the bed most nights. Of course I am just a little nervous about having surgery again, but I am also glad to be getting it done and over with. The next three weeks will be a busy time with the Holidays and preparing for surgery, but that's ok. All my kids and grandkids are making it easy for me this year. They all want either money or gift cards. I will just have to shop for my hubby and my dog and cat. We have a toasty -8 windchill this morning with snow on the ground and more snow predicted for the next couple days, and it will probably just get colder and the snow will continue to stack up from here on out, so I think I picked the perfect time to stay in and recuperate. Maybe not such a perfect time to have ice on my knee continually, :heehee:, but I bought a heated throw, so it is all good.:)
    [Bonesmart.org] Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two​
 
My heated throw was a godsend! It got me through the Polar Vortex winter while icing my knee. Hopefully the holidays will keep your mind off the upcoming surgery.
 
Thanks Celle. I am both dreading and looking forward to it.:heehee:

Karri, bought my heated throw at your recommendation. This last weekend it sure felt good. Our temps here were sub zero, -28 with windchills even lower. I am sitting here typing right now with it over me.

I had my pre-op visit yesterday. Hopefully everything will check out ok. I will probably hear from the tests later today or tomorrow.
 
I'm sure you will do just fine with the earlier surgery date. You know what to expect so that's a plus for sure. It's a great time to stay indoors. It's a balmy 2 degrees here this morning.
 
I'm glad you're enjoying it Martha, just wait until you're icing that new knee!
 
It is a good thing my LTKR is coming up soon. Yesterday I went to Aldi and Wal Mart to finish up getting what I needed to prepare Christmas dinner and a few other things. My RTKR leg did great, but I was in agony with my left knee by the time I got half way through at Wal Mart. I didn't think I was going to make it to the car, but I did and then I just sat there and cried. I spent the rest of the day in the recliner where I am sitting now with ice on it. I think my shopping days are about over for a while. On a more positive note, I got the results back from my pre-op tests and I am good to go for surgery on the 3rd. I may not post again before Christmas, so I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
 
Good luck to you on your next surgery.
 
Good luck from me too! Look forward to hearing how you get on.
 
Merry Christmas, Martha! I'm sorry you are feeling such pain in your left knee. Enjoy your time with family! :merry christmas:
 
I'm hoping your cold has cleared up. Mine never advanced and must have been allergies. Our day is approaching soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom