Guest viewing is limited

TKR Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two

Today is 3 weeks since my LTKR. In the daytime the pain is not to bad, but it is worse at night. Tonight is seems worse than usual. Maybe it is because I tried to cut back some on the pain meds during the day. I guess it is still too soon and I will still need a full dose for a while longer. Some of the blisters from my reaction to the steri-strips are starting to dry up and the itching is much better, so that is good.
 
Aw, you`ve had a rough old time of it lately, with blisters to boot. I tried cutting back on pain meds round about the 3 - 4 week mark and it just wasn`t worth the misery and agony I went through. I think Josephine calls this the 'angry tissue' stage so maybe, as you say, you need the full dose for a little longer. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Happy Knee-versary to us!! 3 weeks. :flwrysmile:

Glad to read you gained an ice machine. Love mine at night. I wear it all night. I take meds at 4am and that's when I restock the 4 frozen water bottles. Only one time have I felt at 4 that I wouldn't need ice to go back to sleep. I'm sure more of those will come.
Also glad to hear the blisters are drying up and itching less. My glue is holding steady! Doesn't seem to be leaving me anytime soon.

I hope you have a nice pain free (or at least reduced pain day)!
 
Today is 3 weeks since my LTKR. In the daytime the pain is not to bad, but it is worse at night. Tonight is seems worse than usual. Maybe it is because I tried to cut back some on the pain meds during the day. I guess it is still too soon
Yes, you're right. It is still too soon to cut back the pain meds.

The time to start cutting back is when you find you are forgetting to take a dose and not feeling any increased pain.
 
I am heading out to my first outpatient PT in a few minutes. I am not looking forward to getting out in the cold with 10 inches of new snow on the ground. Brrr... I have to pick up some meds, too, but I am just going to sit in the car and let hubby get them for me. He is the absolute best! I couldn't do this without him!
 
Well I didn't have PT yesterday, because of a scheduling mix-up. I will have my first appointment on Tuesday instead. I did get out in the sunshine for a little while, though and sat in the car while my husband went in to get my meds and to pick up some Chinese food for our lunch. My husband and grandson had our porch, walk, and driveway completely cleared of snow, so walking was not a problem. The tens unit I ordered off EBay came in and I have used it once. I think I am going to like it.
 
Enjoy the next four days then!i bet you're glad to be home!
 
Thanks Karri. I am very glad to be home. As much as I like my therapist and know that she is careful not to hurt me, I was not too disappointed. After having therapy every day in the rehab I really needed a break. I am doing a few stretches and bends every day, but mostly just resting, icing, and elevating. The exhaustion is still pretty overwhelming. I am wondering if it is worse because I am still recovering from the first surgery, too.
 
I would say that's why you're more tired. Although your first knee was doing well, it was still 3-4 months between major surgeries. When there was a possibility of a third knee surgery in a 2-3 month period I just didn't know how much energy I'd have. Take it easy until Tuesday and then you know what to do with the PT.
 
Happy 4 week knee-versary twin! I noticed we were both awake about the same times during the night last night. ugh.
 
Happy 4 week Ronsgirl. I hope you had a good experience at PT today. Your hubby sounds like a shining star!
 
Thanks Red's Mom. PT on Tuesday went great. My therapist is always very careful not to hurt me and if I do something that is too difficult I just tell her and we stop. She measured my flexion at 108 and my extension was about 10 or 11. She said I was doing great and was right where I am supposed to be. I will probably only have a couple, maybe three weeks at the most, of therapy. We are concentrating on stretches to straighten my knee, and also strengthening my muscles. About my husband, he is the absolute best! I don't know how I could have made it through this without him. He really gets it that this is a long, slow, sometimes painful, emotional process. He encourages me and supports me, and he never complains.
 
I'm glad your PT is so good and considerate of your knee, Martha. A good PT is worth her weight in gold.
 
108 at 4 weeks is great, Martha! I'm glad PT went well!
 
Thanks Celle and Karri. I know I am very blessed to have such a good PT, especially after some of the experiences I have had on here.
 
You're doing great. I'm glad your PT is very good. Your husband sounds like a very caring and wonderful man, a real keeper for sure.
 
Hope you're doing well, Martha! Just stopping by to see how your knees are doing. :SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom