TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

Sounds like you do very well for yourself. It’s always nice to bounce ideas off and get advice from those who have been there. Have had many conversations with pre, during and post procedure TKR patients…a wealth of information.
 
15 month post TKR update. Even now, my knee is still continuing to improve in strength. When I am extremely active on the bike or working at the firehall, I still get a bit of discomfort and a very minor bit of swelling that usually works its way out the backside of my knee. Occasionally, I will use compression braces and or icing to keep that under control.

As of 2023 I have have ridden almost 3000 km with the longest rides in the 130 km range, distances I have not been able to ride since before 2015 when my knee started going downhill.

Achieving those little steps along the way to wonders for your confidence and mental attitude. One more step, one more day, one more little goal, keep moving forward.
Don’t ever give up. :biking:
 
Thanks for the great update @Axx72 ! Yet again more proof this recovery continues to improve into year 2. I'm sure your input will encourage our members who are thinking about his surgery or going through the process now.
:bicycle1:
 
As of 2023 I have have ridden almost 3000 km with the longest rides in the 130 km range, distances I have not been able to ride since before 2015 when my knee started going downhill.
Inspirational! Although my aspirations are much more limited! Just back from a 4 mile walk ( 2 miles out, 20 minute rest and 2 miles back) and having a nice lie down with a cup of tea Not sure I could ever have cycled those distances....
 
I love summer! It’s tough to fit all the stuff you want to do in a short amount of time. Up here in Canada, beautiful weather is a blessing.

Still taking steps and riding towards my goals. Km by Km I’m getting closer. August 3rd will be my first official bikepacking (backpacking with a bike see pic) trip. Looking to do about 400km in 4-5 days in and around Kananaskis/Banff/Canmore area starting from Calgary. Needless to say I am incredibly enthusiastic and excited.

I am sharing my adventure with 2 friends, one of which had a partial TKR about 8 years ago. The other I used to cycle race with 25 years ago. We will work hard to keep each other honest on the trip.

Every day earned, to better yourself is a gift. Each moment along the journey reminds you of the moments before and the ones yet to come. Each step reinforces your direction and what needs to be done to achieve your goal.

Believe that you can do it and you will:thumb:

IMG_0026.jpeg
 
Safe travels for you and your friends in three weeks! Please let us know how the trip was upon your return.
Heard of Banff and viewed many beautiful photos, but not the other places. Sounds like quite an adventure.
Enjoy!
@Axx72
 
Just finished a ride for cancer event this weekend. What a wonderful experience. 200km bicycle ride in 2 days.

Met so many people who are fighting their own recovery battles in many forms. Just like the Bonesmart forum, it’s an amazing platform to let people know that we are not alone and we draw incredible strength from every success we achieve.

Letting others share stories, both bad and good, really reinforces our strength in numbers.

Don’t let anyone tell u that it’s not possible. :biking:
 
Wow...that's a ride! Very inspiring. Prayers for good health and healing for all. :prayer:
Hopefully you're not too sore today.
Have a great week, Axx!
@Axx72
 
What an amazing recovery and weekend you just had! We love reading posts like this. It lets us know that the future will be brighter. Thanks for sharing!
 
Since March of 2022, my focus has been filling my life with happiness and joy. Achieving goals without a focused plan is never an easy road.

We did it!!! My friend and I successfully completed our big camping cycle tour trip of 2023. With our bikes, fully loaded with with everything we need to eat and tent, we toured from Calgary to Kananaskis to Canmore to Banff through to Peter Lougheed Park, including climbs over Skogan, Highwood and Elbow Passes. When we finished we cycling a total distance of 302 km and 4700 meters of climbing over 2 1/2 days. What a rewarding experience!:biking:

From my knee’s point of view performance was splendid. A bit of lateral swelling in the evenings and more muscular soreness at the end than anything. I am looking forward to a bit of icing and hot tubbing.:wink:

My cycling partner and I both have had a number of physical hurdles that have created significant recovery struggles. Many who will or have gone through major joint procedures will through nagging mental doubts of if they can ever achieve normalcy.

Every step forward one is allowed to take is a gift and I will never lose sight of that. Every now and then people are blessed with the opportunity to achieve something spectacular in their life journey.

Never let go and keep on stepping!!:egypdance:

IMG_0471.jpeg


IMG_0509.jpeg
 
Look at you two guys in the midst of natures beauty. How fun your trip must have been and what an accomplishment!
Every step forward one is allowed to take is a gift and I will never lose sight of that. Every now and then people are blessed with the opportunity to achieve something spectacular in their life journey.
I LOVE your grateful heart!
Thanks for sharing photos of your journey. What an inspiration you two are.
Many blessings to you!
@Axx72
 
That is amazing! Well done!
 
Thank you all for the compassion, sharing amazing experiences and much needed support. We can all be successful in our own arenas!
Keep on steppin!!!:hiking:
 
Anyone burst into tears the first time they were able to do a full pedal rotation on a bike, post TKR?

Reaching your own recovery milestones are so much more meaningful and emotional than stressing about ROM and what your PT says.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom